test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mandatory 5 rounds in Somkaks arena..what gives?

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The reason people are 5 rounding the untimed version is because it is the most accessible. You don't even have to try to find it in the PvE queue, you just click the big event banner and the "queue" button which will instantly queue you for the untimed.
    :neutral: Both versions are right there side by side in the featured banners. Also, both of them appear at the top of the queue list, since it's first in alphabetic order.

So, no. It's not more "accessible."
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Cryptic insisted that the rewards be a character unlock, rather than an account unlock.

Cryptic were told this was a problem. Cryptic has been given an explanation. Nevertheless, Cryptic has persisted in making this the most needlessly excruciating event yet.

At this point, I honestly don't care if players in the timed events report me for going afk after I intentionally tell my team I'm only playing until wave 5. They can do whatever they want. Play till the entire 20 minutes is up, I don't care. Play their own way, I'll play mine.

If a GM wants to confront me about it, I'll tell them I'm absolutely guilty and that I'll stop participating after wave 5 again and again. However, I'm under the impression it doesn't really count as afking if you are an active participant at least partially through the match.

Again, Cryptic was given extensive, almost universal feedback (a rare thing for the STO community) that this system set-up is absolute garbage. If players are going to die at wave 5 in the timed events, that's only reinforcing the solid message we've repeatedly broadcasted to Cryptic over the past few years.

Make. These. Account. Unlocks.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I'm easy either way with regards to the "5 and die" but it really helps if folk say that at the beginning so the group knows who is after the token and who wants to see how far they can go in the time allotted.

What does annoy me a wee bit is when someone says that and then proceeds to die on the first round and not res. 5 and die is no excuse to be that lazy.

I tend to queue up for both options but have yet to be placed in an untimed run by the game. Which seems to make sense as to me the untimed would be for those after the long haul challenge of seeing how much they can put up with.

To be honest I'd rather cryptic didnt try to adjust anything. Folk complained about the timer and afkers during the MI event and the change was infinite portal spawns. All they could do with sompek is raise the minimum time to get a token to that 20 minutes which would be awful or maybe add in an auto-res timer to prevent "corpses" stinking up the place.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    The reason people are 5 rounding the untimed version is because it is the most accessible. You don't even have to try to find it in the PvE queue, you just click the big event banner and the "queue" button which will instantly queue you for the untimed.

Untimed version is for doing the best that you can do. Expect me to rez you... repeatedly, as in again and again and again... Wonder if an unwanted rez is a reportable offence ? :wink: I do understand now your reason for posting this as was wondering why so many in untimed are asking for 5 rounds though. Thanks.

Timed version is for 20 minutes. Knowing that many only want to go 5 for the daily why not have a vote in team chat at the beginning of the match? (never have gotten a response from anybody). Will go with whatever the majority wants for this version. Seems some want the full 20 minutes and some don't.

Just want your daily? Sompek 5 or Sompek suicide in various channels work great.

• Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User

I tend to queue up for both options but have yet to be placed in an untimed run by the game. Which seems to make sense as to me the untimed would be for those after the long haul challenge of seeing how much they can put up with.

Click the banner in the episode tab you be in the untimed run.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I still want the Sompek Dance on my Romulan. Have YET to hit 21 rounds on her... made it to 20, but not the magic 21.

I thought it for beating wave 30 you’ll get the emote: Dance (Victory of Sompek!)
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Being a queue I just used the pve thing to select them just as quick despite the game sometimes assuming that closing the window to do other stuff while you wait means you might want to not join the queues you joined and asks for confirmation to join them because its a badly made "upgrade" to the old one.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Bull. People are attempting to suicide 5 in untimed because it pops a bit faster than untimed for some reason. When I click both, untimed gets popped about twice as often as timed. So those selfish gits are in untimed and ruining other people's run because they want something that pops just a bit faster. So yeah...those people are scum of the earth and really, we would be better off without them in this game. So you do that in untimed...I WILL unload on you.

Yep.. this.

Suiciding in Untimed is just selfish and stupid.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    This....

Bull. People are attempting to suicide 5 in untimed because it pops a bit faster than untimed for some reason. When I click both, untimed gets popped about twice as often as timed. So those selfish gits are in untimed and ruining other people's run because they want something that pops just a bit faster. So yeah...those people are scum of the earth and really, we would be better off without them in this game. So you do that in untimed...I WILL unload on you.

Yep.. this.

Suiciding in Untimed is just selfish and stupid.

Nonetheless... I have to say I started doing the five and dying as it is too much on nearly a dozen toons... I loathe F2P mechanics with a passion and I hate the fact I have to have more than one toon in the first place as a result but I try to the best I can given the environment. Nonetheless the design decisions in the game sometimes simply amaze me... It is like someone at Cryptic has an bet going with someone else to see how much nonsense people will endure.
    Post edited by aspartan1 on
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    It's really not that hard to understand, you got your short queue for the short runs and long queue for the long runs.
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    It's really not that hard to understand, you got your short queue for the short runs and long queue for the long runs.

And yet, it clearly seems to be. I have at least one person in at least 50% of my untimed runs quit after 5 rounds.

I think it's a combination of BOTH selfishness and stupidity - selfishness because they don't care about the impact on other players and stupidity because they're too brain dead to figure out the purpose of the Timed queue.

Also, this is no the same as Mirror. In Mirror if someone goes AFK or dies it simply makes it more tedious for the remaining players. When they do it in Sompek, it ends the run.
  • Options

And yet, it clearly seems to be. I have at least one person in at least 50% of my untimed runs quit after 5 rounds.

I think it's a combination of BOTH selfishness and stupidity - selfishness because they don't care about the impact on other players and stupidity because they're too brain dead to figure out the purpose of the Timed queue.

Also, this is no the same as Mirror. In Mirror if someone goes AFK or dies it simply makes it more tedious for the remaining players. When they do it in Sompek, it ends the run.

No doubt. The PUG life is a hard life.... F2P mechanics do not create friendly environments.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
  • Options

Personally, I'd say just 100% stupidity. Because odds are far better the short queue actually ends at wave 5-6, as opposed to the long version having 4 annoyed people push on for however long. And of course, the short version is guaranteed to end at 20 minutes at the latest. Even selfish people really should care about that.
    And because Mirror doesn't have a short queue.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Make. These. Account. Unlocks.​​
    Your whole declaration is foolish.

If you participate in the event at all, you feed the metrics. If the metrics are met, the event won't change.

Just don't do any Sompek queues. Or better yet, don't log in at all during the event.

All you are doing is being unkind to your fellow players. I know, you don't care. Just thought I would put out the only thing your actions are affecting.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I personally would just rather see them introduce a five round version alongside the time an untimed, as than you have your ques for each time. Those that want to see how high they can get in the timed run in a speed kind of run, the untimed for those wanting to see how they do in a endurance run, and then the five round run for those that want to do a quick run for their daily merit. I also think it is fine if it is put to a vote if the group goes for the full run or a quick five round merit run, and if their is a consensus of which is preferred by the majority of the group.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    If, for some reason, you just want to play for 10-20 minutes but not end up in an endless run that lasts for 40 minutes or so, you could still decide to just play the unlimited one and then stop after those 10-20 minutes.

I completely fail to see how, if I want to play a game for about 20 minutes, and there is a version of it with the specific length of 20 minutes, I should play another one instead of this and convince people there to agree with me to stop at an arbitrary time.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    The mission is clearly designed to be a long one. 20 minutes is the very minimum you should expect to play. However, I really can't blame anyone for wanting to duck out ASAP because Cryptic turned it into a 14 day grind.

A long mission works great as a 4 day event. Not so much for a 14 day one.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

A long mission works great as a 4 day event. Not so much for a 14 day one.

So say we all.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    I have nearly 40 toons I am doin this on I am just doing 5 and die
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited August 2017

It veers into that territory when you bear in mind that there are at least 2 public channels (NOP Public Service and Speed Event) where you can get a 5-round planned group in about 30s. This is my approach; run the untimed version for accolades/ unlocks, then use the channels for grind runs. 6 alts in <30 mins is not bad at all.

And - run that way - Sompek is fun. Th 5-round versions actually encourage players to bring their A-game as massacring mooks faster pays off, and are a nice little blast of mayhem.

Really, it's a shame that Cryptic did not fully opt for that route - say a 10-round "bounded" version and an unlimited one with exponentially scaling rewards.
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Flaming/trolling comments moderated out.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »

While I can understand that, sticking with a recurring theme here: ain't that a bit selfish?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »

While I can understand that, sticking with a recurring theme here: ain't that a bit selfish?

Depends on if they are asking the group if they are going for a five an die run (aka merit run), or a normal run, though if they are just dying at five regardless without asking than yeah selfish. Though i will say that if all but one or two in the group are wanting to do a five an die run, and the others refuse I would call that self as well.
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Going afk/Leaving after 5 rounds is a sort of behavior that i will personally never adopt, no matter whether this is the timed or untimed version. I have seen too many STF afkers/leechers in my time on STO to be tolerant towards that kind of individual. If they were the only ones being penalized by their choice, i wouldn't mind, really. But the thing is, when you start as a team of 5 and end up finding yourself suddenly down one or two team mates as difficulty increases, then it is YOUR fun that ends up being ruined, since you will likely not be able to survive as long as you'd have with a full team. And since the rewards are proportional to the number of rounds, that means less marks for you as well in the end.
  • Options
    xyquarze wrote: »

I keep waiting for people to post the Gekko speech here... After all, selfish, really is greed - amiright? Just sayin'...
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »
    Make. These. Account. Unlocks.
    Your whole declaration is foolish.

If you participate in the event at all, you feed the metrics. If the metrics are met, the event won't change.

Just don't do any Sompek queues. Or better yet, don't log in at all during the event.

All you are doing is being unkind to your fellow players. I know, you don't care. Just thought I would put out the only thing your actions are affecting.

I could easily give you the same "solution". If you don't want to be with people who just want to rush all their alts through this, then just don't do any Sompek queues.

This really comes down to whose version of "playing the game" is more important. I could say that my perspective of how to play the game is the correct one, but I'd be wrong. I could say that yours is, and I'd still be wrong.

I could say that forcing your fellow players to last the entire 20 minutes despite them just wanting a quick 5 rounds is unkind to inconsiderate, but I won't.

I'm not going to tell you that you're right or wrong, because I've always been of the opinion that both player experiences hold equal value and merit. You aren't wrong for wanting a long game, and I'm not wrong for wanting a short game. The problem is there is no third option in the system. That option being "Just play till 5 rounds and the game ends automatically".

Instead, I lay the blame squarely where it lies. Cryptic. They've known this was a problem, they knew this was going to be a problem going into this, and they went forward with it anyway. I have no problems holding other players accountable, but in this particular case it's Cryptic for a half-baked idea.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, last night I went into a Timed run. At about Round 6 two went down and seemed were never getting up. There was nothing in Chat from them to leave them down. After a few minutes they were back up. Others went up and down. It certainly seemed that a few wanted to only go to 6 but no word and we did make the full 20 minutes. Later on Twitter, Cryptic stated that the In-game Chat was down. That may have explained the silence.

At this stage I have only one Character that can make the Unlock with 7 Merits today. Any other Character have none or 1. They will probably get a few, both for the future and to get in a few Competitive Mark boxes.

I have the Sompek Dance unlocked on that Character but I have never made it past Round 28. Been only doing the Timed.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User

No one really cares what you have to say.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).