test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Retaking the Test"

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
A veteran Starfleet Captain reflects on her memories of the Kobayashi Maru, on the eve of the rest of the Alliance getting their first try, in our latest (and my first) fiction blog:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10547183

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I have some trouble believing that the impact of a test where you know you're supposed to fail the scenario really leaves behind a deep emotional impact. I am certainly not shattered thinking that I suck at STO for failing the mission.

I think it really only works if you think it's like any other test. Of course, secrecy would be difficult, but even then - knowing an unbeatable scenario is among the test scenarios and knowing the current test scenario is that unbeatable scenario are two different things.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    aoav160aoav160 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    I have some trouble believing that the impact of a test where you know you're supposed to fail the scenario really leaves behind a deep emotional impact. I am certainly not shattered thinking that I suck at STO for failing the mission.

I think it really only works if you think it's like any other test. Of course, secrecy would be difficult, but even then - knowing an unbeatable scenario is among the test scenarios and knowing the current test scenario is that unbeatable scenario are two different things.

I have to agree, but this was written by people with no military experience.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    If she was that traumatized over a simulation maybe command is not for her? Idk. There is also the option of saving your crew by honoring neutral zone treaty and turning the ship around.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    I'll be curious to learn if there is, somehow, a faction variant on exactly what constitutes no-win for other members of the Alliance?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    If she was that traumatized over a simulation maybe command is not for her? Idk. There is also the option of saving your crew by honoring neutral zone treaty and turning the ship around.
    It seemed like she collapsed under simulated pressure. Maybe that's part of why she had to retake it?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thatsgottahurtthatsgottahurt Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    A lot of typos in that story. I also believe someone needs to learn how to use a comma.
  • Options
    thatsgottahurtthatsgottahurt Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    It seemed like she collapsed under simulated pressure. Maybe that's part of why she had to retake it?

The entire alliance has to take it, not just her.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    A lot of typos in that story. I also believe someone needs to learn how to use a comma.

LOL! I am sorry, this comment is funny.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Wow. I'm glad I don't care about grammar. It was amusing story though and that is what counts. Plus the Klingon version would be called a great way to die with lots of honor and stuff.
  • Options
    chroma01chroma01 Member Posts: 60 Arc User

It's a "No-Win Situation"... regardless of what you do, events conspire to cause you to lose your ship and crew.

While somewhat silly, I think the short story collection of the various crew members taking the test talk about this a bit.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User

As someone who had to perform highly technical procedures in order to pass tests that would allow me to remain employed at the level I held, among my peers, let me tell you: How other people perceive your ability to handle a tense situation that requires the utmost confidence -- In Yourself -- is harder to overcome than the test itself.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User

Its part of the no win scenario the KYM is a federation fuel carrier so as a starfleet vessel you have to respond to its distress regardless of when and where it is, secondly as it is a federation vessel you are not allowed to leave it behind in short the scenario is a catch 22 from the start.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Kael....you should consider an "Official" "Special" Literary Challenge on this topic. The Comm Manager used to do those.
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    chitowngrizz420chitowngrizz420 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    Is this a hint that we might be getting No Win Scenario back soon?
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    U.S.S. Chicago NCC 1833-C
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
    Is this a hint that we might be getting No Win Scenario back soon?

Uh. The Kobayashi Maru queue went live today. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Its part of the no win scenario the KYM is a federation fuel carrier so as a starfleet vessel you have to respond to its distress regardless of when and where it is, secondly as it is a federation vessel you are not allowed to leave it behind in short the scenario is a catch 22 from the start.

Guess you missed the part where Sulu warned Savvik about crossing the Neutral Zone. Yes it is a no win scenario because either way the Kobayashi Maru is lost. Although not canon in the novel Kobayashi Maru Sulu decides the best course was to not provoke a war by crossing the zone. He feared it was a trap by the Klingons. Lastly in TWOK Kobayashi Maru was a civilian freighter, not a starfleet vessel.
    original join date 2010

• Options
    delaromadelaroma Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Klingons participating in the Kobayashi Maru ... what glorious destruction.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2017

Yes, all true, but Federation society of the ST universe is not like ours today. People today are inured to violence and death. We see every week horrendous headlines, encompassing death and destruction on a scale beyond reason, and we pass on unmoved. Such things were not accepted 40 years ago, and would not be accepted in Federation society of the ST universe. They are disturbed by a single death, but we have become indifferent to death like no generation since that of WW2.

To quote Stalin, "When you kill one it is a tragedy. When you kill ten million it is a statistic."
  • Options
    hibari#2697 hibari Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Crypic, just a question .. hypothetical really .. if say, someone, somehow managed to install and activate a subroutine in the programming code, thereby changing the conditions of the test.. would you ban that individual?
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    aoav160 wrote: »

I have to agree, but this was written by people with no military experience.

quit thinking starfleet is the army or navy.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    delaroma wrote: »
    Klingons participating in the Kobayashi Maru ... what glorious destruction.

heh, protecting a fed ship too. It would be glorious if the Maru was a neutral freighter and the attackers were Fed but the scenerio is setup like a research problem, and the feds are studying our tactics.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    koeilawl wrote: »
    Crypic, just a question .. hypothetical really .. if say, someone, somehow managed to install and activate a subroutine in the programming code, thereby changing the conditions of the test.. would you ban that individual?

See lordmalak's signature.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    ^
    LOL

RECOGNITION !
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options

Yes, all true, but Federation society of the ST universe is not like ours today. People today are inured to violence and death. We see every week horrendous headlines, encompassing death and destruction on a scale beyond reason, and we pass on unmoved. Such things were not accepted 40 years ago, and would not be accepted in Federation society of the ST universe. They are disturbed by a single death, but we have become indifferent to death like no generation since that of WW2.

To quote Stalin, "When you kill one it is a tragedy. When you kill ten million it is a statistic."

Tell that to the all the PC captains vaporizing everything in sight.
    original join date 2010

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    koeilawl wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they don't have any Orion interns, :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    By the time of TNG the test had morphed into custom scenarios designed to push a prospective commander into a place her personality would not want to go.

Deanna Troi's test, which she failed multiple times, required her to order a crewman to commit suicide in order to save the ship. For Troi, one life is as valuable as hundreds of lives, and in this case it was taken up a notch by requiring the sacrifice of a personal friend. And she never knew it was a No-Win-Scenario until she realized that there was a solution. Or rather, two ways to lose.

Naturally, STO can't do this for every captain. But Troi's scenario was as emotionally traumatic for her as it was for the hero of ambassadorkael's story. It just takes a bit of suspension of disbelief which we RPGers have in plentiful supply.

I do hope there is a Literary Challenge for this one. Captain Uh'har and the crew of the Hov'chon Bom enjoy No-Win Scenarios. After all, they fought the Elachi, the Vaudwaar, the Iconians, the Nah'kul, and a host of other bad guys in a Hegh'ta BoP. The No Win Scenario is just another opportunity to earn bragging rights for them.
  • Options
    brian334 wrote: »
    By the time of TNG the test had morphed into custom scenarios designed to push a prospective commander into a place her personality would not want to go.

Deanna Troi's test, which she failed multiple times, required her to order a crewman to commit suicide in order to save the ship. For Troi, one life is as valuable as hundreds of lives, and in this case it was taken up a notch by requiring the sacrifice of a personal friend. And she never knew it was a No-Win-Scenario until she realized that there was a solution. Or rather, two ways to lose.

Naturally, STO can't do this for every captain. But Troi's scenario was as emotionally traumatic for her as it was for the hero of ambassadorkael's story. It just takes a bit of suspension of disbelief which we RPGers have in plentiful supply.

I do hope there is a Literary Challenge for this one. Captain Uh'har and the crew of the Hov'chon Bom enjoy No-Win Scenarios. After all, they fought the Elachi, the Vaudwaar, the Iconians, the Nah'kul, and a host of other bad guys in a Hegh'ta BoP. The No Win Scenario is just another opportunity to earn bragging rights for them.

The test she took was a bridge officers test. Not the Kobayashi Maru test.
    original join date 2010

• Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Quibble. The Kobyashi Maru is the command qualification assessment.

Troi was not a command track cadet, and so didn't get to take the test in the Academy. Officers who opt for command qualification later in their career must still take the test.

If the test is always the same and cadets talk about it, it becomes recognizeable and once the test taker realizes it's the test their mindset changes. It becomes a game, like the old Galaga game, where you know you will eventually have to put in another quarter. For the test to be a valid test of the test taker's character the test taker cannot know it's a no-win-scenario until he loses.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    The test Troi took was not really a no win scenario. There was a solution to save the ship and her crew. While both are tests of character they are not the same test. As far as it KM morphing into several different test the only on screen evidence is when Tuvok mentioned it when the KM was replaced by a Ferngi ship and the attackers were Romulan. And even that one had a solution.
    original join date 2010