test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Spotlight: APEX [AEI]

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
Every now and then, we like to spotlight one of the better creations in our mission creator, The Foundry. This time, it's APEX [AEI] by DuncanIdaho.

Full details here:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10501793

Comments

• Options
    ortikantortikant Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Glad to see the comeback of the foundry spotlight missions. Thumps up!
    pmuvj73Aj
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Do these on a monthly basis. :D
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    Just accepted the foundry EULA... can't wait to see what's in there.
  • Options
    rogueeenterpriserogueeenterprise Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    Great, spotlights are back, and this time starring a truly great author!
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I support this focus on foundry missions. I admit to guilt of not playing foundry in many months, but I shall get out there soon.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,325 Arc User
    Every now and then, we like to spotlight one of the better creations in our mission creator, The Foundry. This time, it's APEX [AEI] by DuncanIdaho.

Full details here:

Nice to see some TLC for the foundry again.
    Perhaps next time a KDF mission can get the honors since, unless i am mistaken, there has not been a KDF focused foundry mission.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    questerius wrote: »

Full details here:

Perhaps next time a KDF mission can get the honors since, unless i am mistaken, there has not been a KDF focused foundry mission.

This isn't getting spotlighted but there is an Apex faction port for those with a strong KDF preference.

That said, there are also many unique KDF Foundry missions ready to play right now, including some spotlights (my favorite: Hero of the Empire.) Just browse through the Foundry section of the mission journal, using search keywords to hone in on something you'd like to play. Alternatively, you can just fly around the sector blocks, looking for any hail that takes your fancy. :)

Also, thanks again to Ambassador Kael (glad you had fun :)) and thanks to everyone for taking a look at Apex. There's a lot of exploration missions in the AEI anthology. If you're hankering for boldly going adventures just search the [AEI] tag.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I look forward to trying the episode. I think this sort of thing is great for STO and applaud the Roundtable group (where can I learn more about this?) for giving birth to a vibrant community of episode artists. Definitely agree with trying to re-focus the narrative on exploration and am eager to see how the author gets around the constraints of the video game medium.
  • Options
    I look forward to trying the episode. I think this sort of thing is great for STO and applaud the Roundtable group (where can I learn more about this?) for giving birth to a vibrant community of episode artists.

The Foundry Roundtable is the podcast dedicated to the Foundry for Star Trek Online! I'm a co-host now but at the time the AEI challenge started I was just an active Foundry author. The Roundtable is headed by Drogyn1701, GreenDragoon, and Markhawkman. :)

Here's the youtube channel where we've collected past broadcasts and Foundry tutorial videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqcqBq4rvt63uPHUWhmE11g

We do live streams Saturday at 4:30 PST on twitch, link here. We cover news, reviews, tutorials, challenges, miscellaneous hijinks, and the occasional live play.
    https://www.twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

We're also hosting our second community challenge right now, with a fresh batch of missions ready to play May 14th (there's voting too, so keep an eye out on the Foundry forums for more info.)
    Challenge details
    Mission thread
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Yay! Glad to see a new Spotlight after sooooo long!

And speaking of new, I think the 'new' tag can be taken off all the other Spotlight missions on the mission list. ;)
  • Options
    gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    > @thay8472 said:
    > Do these on a monthly basis. :D

Should be weekly. There are way too many great missions not to. Besides, if you limit the spotlight list to the 12 most recent features... that gives each mission a full 3 months of attention before being pushed out of the list by newer submissions. These "old" spotlights will still receive the benefits of increased playthroughs putting them at the top of the normal search lists.
    newstosiggy.png
  • Options
    jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Great to see the Foundry is getting some attention because missions like Apex are absolutely awesome! :)
  • Options
    skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    is the console version's ever going to get these mission?? if it uses all in game assets. I don't see why we wouldn't get them.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    gawainviii wrote: »
    > @thay8472 said:
    > Do these on a monthly basis. :D

Should be weekly. There are way too many great missions not to. Besides, if you limit the spotlight list to the 12 most recent features... that gives each mission a full 3 months of attention before being pushed out of the list by newer submissions. These "old" spotlights will still receive the benefits of increased playthroughs putting them at the top of the normal search lists.
    I agree with Sir Gawain. Well, except that we don't need to have only 12 spotlights.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
    patrickngo wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »

Full details here:

never gonna happen dude. For one, the audience for KDF material's been kept small. Two, you're asking for KDF anything.

From Cryptic.

(where's that JJ Jameson laughing gif???)

the best you'll get is one thta has a 'port' version accessible to KDF players.

Three: there are some outstanding KDF missions out there in foundry-land, but they are certain never to be spotlighted because of (1) and (2).

Want to send me some of those outstanding missions to look at? :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Want to send me some of those outstanding missions to look at? :)

Here's a recent one, it's up and out of review. :)
    The Battle of Klach Dkel Brakt

Also, on the subject of rotating spotlights out: I would not have submitted Apex if I knew that would come at a cost to another author. I don't see moving stuff out as a viable option for improving how the representative missions of the Foundry community are handled. It puts authors in a very tricky/unsettling position and limits player's view on the best we have to offer (Apex not included, I'm trying to speak just as a STO player for this part).
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on