test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New factions?

245

Comments

  • docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Four fractions isn't enough for you? I think Cryptic should hold back on releasing new fractions and focus on building up the ones we have.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,313 Arc User
    Yeah in truth most of these including cardassians I could see being more of race additions to the existing faction, over a full or partial faction in the end. I would just not mind seeing the romulans getting afew more race options than just the three or so races they have now. Hell can we get a romulan version of the caitain/Ferasan for them.
  • patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,808 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    why would they add new factions when they can't even support the ones they already have?

    4c8d7206d1de617947c9fa5797c6fbf3_c05png-why-cant-i-hold-all-these-memes_576-768.png

    WHAT? Reality check here: Cryptic studios is a small team with big expenses. {i]ACTUAL[/i] faction development (as opposed to alternate starting sites) is manpower, money, and time consuming to develop and requires more manpower, time, and money to maintain, with no corresponding increase in income to hire people and expand equipment.

    Legacy of ROmulus:Grand total population of 11%.
    KDF: Grand total population DECREASE after Delta.
    Agents of Yesterday: small increase in sales to an existing playerbase, net increase in negative population growth for KDF and Romulan factions, but no corresponding increase (or not enough to matter) in the playerbase it already services. (basically rearranged feds and increased alts that clog up ESD by a percentage.)

    Note that Per the Lead Developer romulans were intentionally made to exploit the mechanics in order to boost sales. Note also that AoY, while 'techinically' a faction, have no objectives past the first six missions that are unique to them, no resources after the last of their tutorial missions of their own that are not shared by every other Federation character including reporting to Quinn's office, and the only ship they get that is 'unique' to them is their equivalent of a Miranda.

    even ROMULANS get more post-tutorial.

    In games that can't rely on exploiting a 50 year beloved franchise whose fans will buy anything, where you have more than one faction, those factions with smaller pops often get supporting development to keep them viable, or get cut if they're not.

    for whatever reason (Probably expense) STO can do neither.

    They can't support multiple factions, and they can't mechanically remove the factions they can't support. Why add to the server loading and man-hours material that they can't support?
    whatever.

  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,236 Arc User
    I honestly don't see the attraction of a new faction, whether its the spoonheads or not. If they do arrive I predict a lot of kardashian homages with the butt slider cranked up.

    The romulans (&remans) are a semi faction since they have to align to fed or kdf and ship wise they're stuck between those two with the ship numbers available. I have a romulan and despite having a good selection of ships I've never found one that I like flying, oddly this also include the cross faction variants like the sci command cruiser rommie one just feels off somehow.

    The big temporal bundle that came with tos struck me as not that great, as with the rommie one half the ships wouldn't be used very long since levelling is pretty fast and if you already have existing ships to level off then why bother with some that were tos'd together one afternoon.

    The borg should remain as a faction thats mainly NPC's. If people are desperate to play as a borg then become a vet next discount sale, as a pre-f2p vet I'd never suggest you buy it full price nowadays.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 6,732 Arc User
    As much as I'd love to see Cardassians...I don't know if we'll ever see another faction ever again.

    1) They spoke of Cardassians...said it was a mistake to add the Galor...then later on they make a T6 Keldon
    2) They said they considered adding the Cooperative...but decided not to (What better time to?)
    3) They had 2 factions they could of went with but instead added another pure Federation faction which is sort of a one and done faction (Meaning there aren't going to be complaints of them not getting new ships)
    4) What other faction could they add?

    They have went out of there way to avoid new factions...and new factions would mean more ships to make...and more complaints to endure since we all know they wont get the attention Feds do.

    Logically it's just a lot easier and a lot less pressure not to make any more factions.



    #WithoutRespectWeReject
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 5,745 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Four fractions isn't enough for you? I think Cryptic should hold back on releasing new fractions and focus on building up the ones we have.
    There really isn't much left to build on the existing factions at this point besides releasing T6 versions of lower tier ships.

    The fact we have gotten multiple science ships, but also science ships based on designs of other races besides the general Fed/KDF designs, shows they are running out of ship ideas since they have done basically everything at this point.

    patrickngo wrote: »
    They can't support multiple factions, and they can't mechanically remove the factions they can't support. Why add to the server loading and man-hours material that they can't support?
    I honestly wonder what sort of drugs you take, and where I can get them, because you really do live in a hilarious version of the world that simply doesn't actually exist.

    You entire
    >BUT MUH FACTION EXCLUSIVE CONTENT!
    Argument is hilariously backwards, as faction exclusive content is the literal bane of good MMO design, which is why good MMOs like Guild Wars 2 have none of it.

    No one should care how many "unique" ships/missions a faction gets, so long as they get proportional content based on their importance to the overall series.

    Both the Roms and TOS era Feds got a level of content proportional to their importance(hell, Roms have more unique missions then even the Feds do), and no one should care if a Cardassian mini faction only gets something like 6 missions, and one or two free ships, becuase, honestly, that is all they need, or really should get.

    Stop trying to make this false dichotomy that unless every faction is supported as much as the 2409 Feds, it means Cryptic can't handle supporting them.

    THEY
    DON'T
    HAVE
    THE
    SAME
    LEVEL
    OF
    CONTENT
    BECAUSE
    THEY
    SHOULD
    NOT
    HAVE
    IT
    Post edited by somtaawkhar on
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,470 Arc User
    Agents of Yesterday: small increase in sales to an existing playerbase, net increase in negative population growth for KDF and Romulan factions, but no corresponding increase (or not enough to matter) in the playerbase it already services. (basically rearranged feds and increased alts that clog up ESD by a percentage.)

    Cryptic/PWE really messed up on the AoY setup. They could have added KDF and Romulan AoY toons and might just have grown those factions as well as the player base. Instead they went Fed only with it.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Guys, look at how ships are bundled in the store. They're not ever going to do another 'full' faction. They're already pushing their luck trying to sell ships in clusters of three. Batches of four? NOT. HAPPENING.

    Cardassians as a AoY style mini-faction might one day be a thing, but unless Star Trek Discovery takes of like a rocket AND introduces some new must be/must play group, mini-factions is all we'll ever see.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 5,745 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Cryptic/PWE really messed up on the AoY setup. They could have added KDF and Romulan AoY toons and might just have grown those factions as well as the player base. Instead they went Fed only with it.
    They went Fed only because neither Klingons nor Romulans got enough showtime in the TOS TV series to have enough content to make anything out of

    When making an expansion based around a show, one does not put a whole lot of time into make content for something that was never relevant to that show, aka, Klingons and Romulans.

    Romulans were never important to TOS, and Klingons only became important in the movies, and even then, they only existed to die in most of the movies. It wasn't until the last one, Star Trek VI, that Klingons actually had some sort of actual importance/development.

    Had this been a TNG based expansion you might have had a valid point, MIGHT being the key word there. But as it stands, there is no validity in this argument of yours.
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    It would probably make more sense for the Cardassians to be introduced as a cross-faction playable race, even though a Romulan style faction would be nice. At the very least, Cardassia and Ferenginar should be built and they should each get a story arc.

    Plus, there are still other minor alpha quadrant powers that I'd like to see introduced. If the choice is between a new faction and more canon species making their way into the game, I'll go with the latter.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,313 Arc User
    One of the only ways I could see a evil faction working as a playable faction. Is thru the idea of you joining the alliance under the guise of being an ally, but in truth you are working undercover to subvert an undermine the alliance. So the missions would be largely the same, but with changes to the text to reflect the fact you are a undercover agent of a evil faction seeking to destroy the alliance. Still the idea of this would never see you actually destroy the alliance, or meaningful ground, but would at least need afew minor unique mission at points.
  • patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,808 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Cryptic/PWE really messed up on the AoY setup. They could have added KDF and Romulan AoY toons and might just have grown those factions as well as the player base. Instead they went Fed only with it.
    They went Fed only because neither Klingons nor Romulans got enough showtime in the TOS TV series to have enough content to make anything out of

    When making an expansion based around a show, one does not put a whole lot of time into make content for something that was never relevant to that show, aka, Klingons and Romulans.

    Romulans were never important to TOS, and Klingons only became important in the movies, and even then, they only existed to die in most of the movies. It wasn't until the last one, Star Trek VI, that Klingons actually had some sort of actual importance/development.

    Had this been a TNG based expansion you might have had a valid point, MIGHT being the key word there. But as it stands, there is no validity in this argument of yours.

    first, don't put Nimbull's words in my mouth-it's disrespectful to him, and dishonest with your arguments.

    Second, "REALLY??" You obviously didn't watch TOS much past the first run-through.

    third, that's not been my argument in the first place, som.
    Four fractions isn't enough for you? I think Cryptic should hold back on releasing new fractions and focus on building up the ones we have.
    There really isn't much left to build on the existing factions at this point besides releasing T6 versions of lower tier ships.

    The fact we have gotten multiple science ships, but also science ships based on designs of other races besides the general Fed/KDF designs, shows they are running out of ship ideas since they have done basically everything at this point.

    [snipped for bloviation]

    Have you actually looked at the numbers, Som? because I have. Cryptic's running a development staff that is smaller than the industry's mean-average for an established title-as in significantly smaller. Their expenses, conversely, are larger than most independent developers at the same reported annual income. (CBS licensing plays a major part of that, and they still have to pay PWE their cut.)

    If, as you exclaim and proclaim, the Romulan and Klingons aren't "Important" (being th e ONLY repeating adversaries in the Old Series and with reappearances in every series since) enough to get development, who is? Are there enough Cardassian 'fans' to justify their being introduced-and I'm talking BUSINESS-wise here.

    Fact: Cryptic is under-manned (*that means they don't have the "PEOPLE") in terms of being able to support a multifaction game, much less a full MMO. They're DOING the best they CAN.

    but they're not a charity, the can't just TRIBBLE out content for new factions, particularly since they don't have the bodies to maintain the factions they already Have.

    They didn't have the manpower to do it when the decision to include ONE non-federation faction was made, they still don't, and now there are two.

    well, one-and-a-half, plus a nice alternate starting zone for Feds who feel fondness for the original series.

    but seriously, they're already punching above their weight in terms of what they're doing just with the platter-spinning act they're doing (regarding factions) in terms of the business end.

    Finally, Som, if you have a personal beef with me, come find me in game. If you don't know where, ask a Dental, they know everybody or can find anybody. we'll talk, you can make your arguments why I'm wrong and I'll demolish them to the amusement of the zone chat audience.

    you...do...still actually play the game, right??

    whatever.

  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 5,745 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    patrickngo wrote: »
    snip a bunch of drivel
    1. You are aware this forum is notorious for messing up quote boxes right?
    2. Yes I have seen the numbers, and yes I am aware of their current staffing
    3. I said Romulans and Klingons weren't important to TOS, and they weren't. I made no claim of them not being important in general.
    4. As I said on page 1, according to GECKO, yes, they are. Read the whole thread before you respond next time. Would save yourself further humiliation.
    5. Except Cryptic has shown the ability to support a multifaction game. The only thing that suggests they do not is you constant wailing that unless Roms and KDF get literally everything the FEDs so, at the same level the Feds do, it means they aren't being supported properly. Such an argument is fundamentally false.
    6. They shouldn't need to make new content exclusive for each faction. Even games like Guild wars 2, WoW, and TOR, have largely gone in the direction of cross faction content because it simply isn't feasible, period, no matter your staff or budget, to maintain an MMO that way.
    7. I play the game daily. Also, I have no beef with you.

    And there is no reason to take what started as a forum conversation in the game unless you feel that your stance has been threatened through continuous bad arguments on your point to the point that you have developed a reputation, and so are trying to move the medium which the debate is being held to a medium where such a stigma against you doesn't exist in an attempt to make yourself look better through the genera; ignorance of zone chat of your past.

    What you just did is no different then proclaiming that we should take this out to the playground because you could beat me up in a fight if the teacher isn't watching. Its beyond childish, and honestly, you should be utterly ashamed to be however old you are and still making comments like that.

    Pathetic.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 10,712 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    patrickngo wrote: »
    why would they add new factions when they can't even support the ones they already have?

    4c8d7206d1de617947c9fa5797c6fbf3_c05png-why-cant-i-hold-all-these-memes_576-768.png

    WHAT? Reality check here: Cryptic studios is a small team with big expenses. {i]ACTUAL[/i] faction development (as opposed to alternate starting sites) is manpower, money, and time consuming to develop and requires more manpower, time, and money to maintain, with no corresponding increase in income to hire people and expand equipment.

    Legacy of ROmulus:Grand total population of 11%.
    KDF: Grand total population DECREASE after Delta.
    Agents of Yesterday: small increase in sales to an existing playerbase, net increase in negative population growth for KDF and Romulan factions, but no corresponding increase (or not enough to matter) in the playerbase it already services. (basically rearranged feds and increased alts that clog up ESD by a percentage.)

    Note that Per the Lead Developer romulans were intentionally made to exploit the mechanics in order to boost sales. Note also that AoY, while 'techinically' a faction, have no objectives past the first six missions that are unique to them, no resources after the last of their tutorial missions of their own that are not shared by every other Federation character including reporting to Quinn's office, and the only ship they get that is 'unique' to them is their equivalent of a Miranda.

    even ROMULANS get more post-tutorial.

    In games that can't rely on exploiting a 50 year beloved franchise whose fans will buy anything, where you have more than one faction, those factions with smaller pops often get supporting development to keep them viable, or get cut if they're not.

    for whatever reason (Probably expense) STO can do neither.

    They can't support multiple factions, and they can't mechanically remove the factions they can't support. Why add to the server loading and man-hours material that they can't support?

    Cryptic might not be able to support more factions, but they can certainly support more tutorial factions like the TOS Starfleet faction. Just provide a bunch of new costumes, one free ship, a bunch of new C-Store ships, a few new animations, a new Recruitment event, and a few new missions and Cryptic has a new faction that they will never provide any more assistance to.

    Any future factions will be a tutorial faction, microfaction, or whatever you want to call it where they are only able to play less than 10 missions before being thrown into one of the main factions.
  • patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,808 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    snip a bunch of drivel
    1. You are aware this forum is notorious for messing up quote boxes right?
    2. Yes I have seen the numbers, and yes I am aware of their current staffing
    3. I said Romulans and Klingons weren't important to TOS, and they weren't. I made no claim of them not being important in general.
    4. As I said on page 1, according to GECKO, yes, they are. Read the whole thread before you respond next time. Would save yourself further humiliation.
    5. Except Cryptic has shown the ability to support a multifaction game. The only thing that suggests they do not is you constant wailing that unless Roms and KDF get literally everything the FEDs so, at the same level the Feds do, it means they aren't being supported properly. Such an argument is fundamentally false.
    6. They shouldn't need to make new content exclusive for each faction. Even games like Guild wars 2, WoW, and TOR, have largely gone in the direction of cross faction content because it simply isn't feasible, period, no matter your staff or budget, to maintain an MMO that way.
    7. I play the game daily. Also, I have no beef with you.

    And there is no reason to take what started as a forum conversation in the game unless you feel that your stance has been threatened through continuous bad arguments on your point to the point that you have developed a reputation, and so are trying to move the medium which the debate is being held to a medium where such a stigma against you doesn't exist in an attempt to make yourself look better through the genera; ignorance of zone chat of your past.

    What you just did is no different then proclaiming that we should take this out to the playground because you could beat me up in a fight if the teacher isn't watching. Its beyond childish, and honestly, you should be utterly ashamed to be however old you are and still making comments like that.

    Pathetic.

    I'm simply reaching down to your level, Som.

    Fact: new Factions Cost Money and Man-Hours.
    Fact:whether you want to accept it or not, Cryptic's proven they really can't handle multiple factions-the proof is declining numbers in the non-Federation factions. Negative population growth is a metric you can not ignore. Properly handled faction development is at minimum stable, meaning for every player lost, you gain a new one-this is not the case with KDF or Romulans. There were more KDF in 2012, not as a percentage, but in RAW NUMBERS, than there is presently. IN a multi-faction game where the team is capable of handling the task, this doesn't occur-even with player-total losses, the losses are as proportional as the growth.

    Cryptic is running this game with a development team that is smaller than the industry average, and small for a single-faction game. I doubt seriously that our devs are seeing seven digit paycheques, the company isn't that big. that they achieve as much as they do, is to their credit, but they don't have the resources to deal with maintaining the factions they have (as demonstrated in the demographics and even a casual collecting of data in the game.)

    Conclusion: adding MORE workload is a bad idea. This is totally without regard for Geko's public statements over the last 7 years which have been borne out largely in Cryptic's actions. Means even if He wanted, desperately, to handle the minority factions in a manner that would stabilize them and reduce losses, resources don't exist to do that.

    They have neither the people, nor the money to hire them, necessary to achieve that.

    it's simple math, Som. When they specified more than one faction, they made a mistake that is too entwined into the structure to undo, and they lack the ability to move forward into making that other faction economically viable.
    whatever.

  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 5,745 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I'm simply reaching down to your level, Som.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA! Ohh god kid, you want to keep your little delusional conspiracies about what Cryptic can do, fine, but they aren't fooling anyone.


    And no, most multi-faction games have one faction be more played then the others for various reason. Guild Wars 2 is the perfect example where they have 5 races, and all the races have the exact same stuff, on exactly equal levels, but the overwhelming majority of players play humans over the other 4 races, because people relate to humans far more then other races.

    Likewise, no matter how much content they dump into the Klingons, Romulans, or any other faction, and no matter how high quality it is, the Federation will always be massively more played then all other factions combined, because more people relate to the Federation, and more people relate the Federation to Star Trek, then they do any other group.

    You can ignore that all you want, but it won't make it any less true.
    Post edited by somtaawkhar on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 33,543 Arc User
    Yeah, Klingon TRIBBLE might look good to Klingons, but the game isn't being played by Klingons and to me it looks like the entire Klingon empire got pummeled with an ugly stick.

    Which is part of why I so greatly support the use of non-Klingon ships in the Empire's fleets. Gorn and Orion ships are less ugly than Klingon ships.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 30,932 Arc User
    orion ships all look like cancerous potatoes...NOTHING int heir fleet looks better than klingon ships​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

    "It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

    How Game Devs SHOULD be interacted with:
    http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/157238832062/i-remember-your-52080-rule-and-it-was-an-awesome

    "Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"

    "Beware of dog. Or possibly, enhanced, psycho-addicted, cybernetically-enhanced nightstalker death-dealing dog from hell."
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.

    Stand with Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! #TASforSTO
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 2,206 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I would like to see the Orion ships from TAS in STO, they have an interesting design.

    latest?cb=20080229004116&path-prefix=en
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 33,543 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I would like to see the Orion ships from TAS in STO, they have an interesting design.

    latest?cb=20080229004116&path-prefix=en
    YES! Now this is a captain who knows a good looking ship!

    And yes.... mutant potatoes are more aesthetically pleasing than most Klingon stuff...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 30,932 Arc User
    that looks even worse...they should've just based them off the orion designs from SFC - just modernized; both because 200 years later and to avoid copyright claims from whoever owns the SFC license now​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

    "It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

    How Game Devs SHOULD be interacted with:
    http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/157238832062/i-remember-your-52080-rule-and-it-was-an-awesome

    "Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"

    "Beware of dog. Or possibly, enhanced, psycho-addicted, cybernetically-enhanced nightstalker death-dealing dog from hell."
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.

    Stand with Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! #TASforSTO
  • docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    nimbull wrote: »
    Agents of Yesterday: small increase in sales to an existing playerbase, net increase in negative population growth for KDF and Romulan factions, but no corresponding increase (or not enough to matter) in the playerbase it already services. (basically rearranged feds and increased alts that clog up ESD by a percentage.)

    Cryptic/PWE really messed up on the AoY setup. They could have added KDF and Romulan AoY toons and might just have grown those factions as well as the player base. Instead they went Fed only with it.

    Cryptic made add new KDF and Romulan AOY Toons in the next expansion. Cryptic has say in the past they like to add more content for the Klingon Fraction. The Klingon fraction could really use some more content. They haven't been getting much love compare to the other fractions.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 33,543 Arc User
    I doubt they're going to touch SFC with a 7-lightyear pole...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 5,745 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Cryptic made add new KDF and Romulan AOY Toons in the next expansion. Cryptic has say in the past they like to add more content for the Klingon Fraction. The Klingon fraction could really use some more content. They haven't been getting much love compare to the other fractions.
    Na, way things are going, the next expansion will be Deep Space 9 focused, have a small AoY style Cardassian faction, and will have a playable Gamma Quadrant area with a Dominion related storyline + the Hur'q might be involved.


    The in-game Alpha/Beta Quadrant maps cover the areas of space where somewhere around 90% of all the locations ever seen or mentioned in Trek lore for the Alpha/Beta Quadrant area, and Cryptic has used most everything of note in that region by now as well.

    And while the Delta Quadrant map only covers half of what Voyager traveled, they still managed to cover most of the major species from both inside that area, and outside that area, its highly unlikely they will do another DQ focused expansion.

    AoY was a ENT+TOS based expansion, ruling out most of that as well.

    This really only leaves the GQ, the Dominion, and maybe the Hur'q.
  • docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    patrickngo wrote: »
    They can't support multiple factions, and they can't mechanically remove the factions they can't support. Why add to the server loading and man-hours material that they can't support?
    I honestly wonder what sort of drugs you take, and where I can get them, because you really do live in a hilarious version of the world that simply doesn't actually exist.

    Dude, do you not understand how game engines work? Cryptic has reached the limit with STO. Adding a new fraction just isn't possible for Cryptic. The technology for a new fraction just doesn't exist. If Cryptic want to add a new fraction they either have to create a new engine or a new game.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 5,745 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Dude, do you not understand how game engines work? Cryptic has reached the limit with STO. Adding a new fraction just isn't possible for Cryptic. The technology for a new fraction just doesn't exist. If Cryptic want to add a new fraction they either have to create a new engine or a new game.
    Yes I do, and apparently you do not, as that has nothing to do with the game engine. Nor has anyone at Cryptic, nor even the conspiracy theorist Patrick, made such a suggestion.

    The only thing the ENGINE itself currently limits to any significant degree is limiting sector space maps to a max of 8x8 sectors
  • docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Dude, do you not understand how game engines work? Cryptic has reached the limit with STO. Adding a new fraction just isn't possible for Cryptic. The technology for a new fraction just doesn't exist. If Cryptic want to add a new fraction they either have to create a new engine or a new game.
    Yes I do, and apparently you do not, as that has nothing to do with the game engine. Nor has anyone at Cryptic, nor even the conspiracy theorist Patrick, made such a suggestion.

    The only thing the ENGINE itself currently limits to any significant degree is limiting sector space maps to a max of 8x8 sectors

    No, you really don't understand how a game engine works. Yes it does have everything to do with the game engine technology. It also has to deal with how much money Cryptic makes. Adding a new fraction take time and money for Cryptic to make. We all know that Cryptic isn't going to release a new fraction just to satisfy the few basement dwellers who spend all day playing STO.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 5,745 Arc User
    No, you really don't understand how a game engine works.
    So says the man saying they can't add another faction when they literally just did in AoY, and have said in the past that they could add more.

    You seem to be confusing a lack of time and budget to give something like the Romulans their own set of starbases and fleet holdings, so they don't have to chose between Fed and KDF, as an engine limitation.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 33,543 Arc User
    The devs created the engine and modify it constantly to make it do things it couldn't do previously. Therefore any statement of "the engine can't do this" means that it can't do it yet.

    Even Taco's statement about why they only use 8x8 is predicated on them not improving(increasing digits used) the way it stores location data.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 5,745 Arc User
    The devs created the engine and modify it constantly to make it do things it couldn't do previously. Therefore any statement of "the engine can't do this" means that it can't do it yet.

    Even Taco's statement about why they only use 8x8 is predicated on them not improving(increasing digits used) the way it stores location data.
    ^This

    For some reason people seem to have this idea that a game engine is some magical thing that can't be altered at any point after the game has come out, and that anything they feel is wrong with the game is due to "engine limitations"

    -AI not good enough in your opinion? Engine limitations!
    -You can't cross faction team like you want to? Engine limitations!
    -Devs don't have the time/money to play catch up with a new Romulan side faction? Engine Limitations!

    When literally none of those things are actual engine limitations.
Sign In or Register to comment.