test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New factions?

Comments

• docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    No, you really don't understand how a game engine works.
    So says the man saying they can't add another faction when they literally just did in AoY, and have said in the past that they could add more.

You seem to be confusing a lack of time and budget to give something like the Romulans their own set of starbases and fleet holdings, so they don't have to chose between Fed and KDF, as an engine limitation.

Dude, you really need to learn how to before commenting on people post. I say that Cryptic can add more content for the fractions they have like Klingon's for example.

No, you are the one who seems to be confused about time and budget. You think that Cryptic has enough time to add a new fraction but not add more content for the existing ones.
    edited March 2017
    Somtaawkhar you say so yourself "there really isn't much left for them to build on."

Somtaawkhar you say so yourself "there really isn't much left for them to build on."
    Yes and?

Wait.... are you actually trying to fallaciously equate the lack of content to build on as meaning they can't do it at all?

That's.... hilarious!

Uh? I was just repeating what you wrote to me earlier. Nowhere in my post was I trying to equate the lack of content to build on as something they can't do at at all.

What hilarious is you trying to project your own insecurities on other people. There is a reason why I ignore your post in the past and it wasn't because you have mental health problems.
    Uh? I was just repeating what you wrote to me earlier. Nowhere in my post was I trying to equate the lack of content to build on as something they can't do at at all.

What hilarious is you trying to project your own insecurities on other people. There is a reason why I ignore your post in the past and it wasn't because you have mental health problems.
    Except that is literally not what I posted at all. So yes, intentionally or not, you did just that.

Lol the good old "mental health" problems card... nice. smells like 4chan in here.

Expect that is literally what you posted at all. The only thing I did was copy what you wrote to me.

What mental health card? It's a known fact that mental health illness affect one out of five adults.

• shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    I don’t think it’s beyond what Cryptic to do to make a new faction or fraction as the case could be. If anything, we have seen the developers pull out some pretty impressive moves in the past to make their projects a reality.

Unless someone has a hotline directly to the developers where they are getting daily updates on projects then really a lot of this is all speculation. Sure there are some pretty good educated guesses here and some data to support those theories but unless a developer comes right out and says something along the lines of “here, this is what we are positively, absolutely going to do this year” then we really just have theories and guesswork.

Cryptic has a habit of keeping the cards close to the chest until they have everything ready for a big reveal. The only thing I know for sure is to never rule out anything when it comes to game development.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    when you have no more source content to draw on, you start making TRIBBLE up - which is pretty much the entire spirit of star trek in a nutshell​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Expect that is literally what you posted at all. The only thing I did was copy what you wrote to me.
    Except it isn't, what I posted was
    There really isn't much left to build on the existing factions at this point besides releasing T6 versions of lower tier ships.
    Saying there isn't anything left for them to build on =/= saying they cannot add more onto those factions. It is only saying that there is little to nothing left for them to add.

Not having many more apples to harvest off the trees does not mean they couldn't harvest more apples then are on the trees currently had there been more apples on the trees for them to harvest.

Likewise, not having anything significant in the way of Klingon content to add does not mean they couldn't add more if there was more to add.

As it stands, Cryptic has covered every single major lore point about the Klingons except their invasion by the Hur'q
    -Klingons being a warrior culture of honor? In-game
    -Klingons having fighting between the great houses, with one of them betraying the empire to work with the Romulans? In-game
    -Klingon early mythology including Kahless, the sword of Kahless, Molor, the FekIhri, Grethor, the Barge of the Dead, Boreth? In-game
    -The Klingon's on again off again friendship/hatred of the Federation? In-game
    -The Klingon prophecy of the Kuvah'magh? In-game
    -The explanation on how the Klingons got their ridges back between TOS and TNG? In-game
    -The Klingons involvement with the Temporal Cold War? In-game
    -The bat'leth tournament on Forcas III? In-game
    -The Klingon prison planet of Rura Penthe? In-game
    -The whole subplot about Alexander from 2409 going back to the TNG/DS9 era to try to convince his younger self to become a warrior because in his timeline, one where he did not, Worf got killed in the Great Hall because of it? Consequences of his timeline change seen in-game.

They don't add more Klingon content because Klingons don't really have any more content from the TV shows TOO add since the shows rarely focused on them long enough to do anything with them.

Hell, it should tell you that they are scraping the bottom on the barrel when it comes to possible Klingon content if they are bringing back Kurn/Rodek who appeared for all of like 4 episodes between TNG and DS9 combined.

The only reason why we haven't gotten a Hur'q story arc yet is likely because the Hur'q are from the Gamma Quadrant, and we haven't had a reason to go there.

Um, saying they can't add new fractions isn't the same as saying there isn't nothing left to build on. I already wrote in my previous posts they can add new content to existing fractions. There plenty of content they can add to the existing Klingon and Romulan fractions.

We also have a new Star Trek show that will focus on the Klingon's and Romulans. Cryptic can use the upcoming show to add more content to the existing fractions in game. If Cryptic doesn't want do that they can use the novels from the expanded universe.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    EVERY star trek game is a derivative - they still had to make TRIBBLE up for the klingons, romulans and borg in armada/armada 2 (as well as cardassians and undine for the latter, since they were added as playable factions), because those races only had 3-4 canon ships/stations

ditto for the entire SFC series and bits of legacy

the only thing that should stop something being added to a minority faction is a poor time/money-to-profit ratio, not lack of source material

and as for people complaining...people complain about EVERYTHING - if gold were raining from the skies, people would complain that it wasn't their exact favorite shade of gold; that shouldn't stop cryptic from continuing to make up original content, because for every disaster like the deferi, we get something awesome like the lukari in exchange​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    The devs created the engine and modify it constantly to make it do things it couldn't do previously. Therefore any statement of "the engine can't do this" means that it can't do it yet.

Even Taco's statement about why they only use 8x8 is predicated on them not improving(increasing digits used) the way it stores location data.
    ^This

For some reason people seem to have this idea that a game engine is some magical thing that can't be altered at any point after the game has come out, and that anything they feel is wrong with the game is due to "engine limitations"

-AI not good enough in your opinion? Engine limitations!
    -You can't cross faction team like you want to? Engine limitations!
    -Devs don't have the time/money to play catch up with a new Romulan side faction? Engine Limitations!

When literally none of those things are actual engine limitations.

Game engines can be modified but in order to introduce those changes properly you need to test that everything done under the existing engine still works as it should under the modified engine before releasing that to production. Any new bugs introduced that older content may have been relying on in the past to "work" needs corrected. That requires time, developers, testers, etc to get done properly which I'm guessing Cryptic doesn't have in abundance to do like they used to.

With STO you have all the user generated content in the Foundry that needs tested as well. A lot of the old authors may not be around to do that anymore. At some point in a games development the company spends less time modifying things and more just to keep it running as is in order to save costs and hassle. It's not just games that do this either but business all over the spectrum. It's why there's still people out there running decades old COBOL programs unchanged from when they were wrote originally back in the 1900's.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Discovery wont be out until later this year at the earliest, and even then, it would take several seasons wroth of content for things to get established enough for Cryptic to add it into the game without running into the chance the show owuld pull a mid/late season twist that changes what we though we knew. By then. STO will be out to its 5th expansion, and they only had 5 expansion planned, meaning, it will be the end of STO's content addition phase.

Doesn't prevent Cryptic from releasing a Lockbox when Discovery comes out that introduces the various new ships, costumes, and weapons. Of course, that is dependent on legality issues from CBS and Cryptic getting the ship and costume designs in advance so they can produce them for Discovery's launch. So I expect it to be a few months at the earliest for STO to get any Discovery content.
    edited March 2017
    EVERY star trek game is a derivative - they still had to make **** up for the klingons, romulans and borg in armada/armada 2 (as well as cardassians and undine for the latter, since they were added as playable factions), because those races only had 3-4 canon ships/stations

ditto for the entire SFC series and bits of legacy

the only thing that should stop something being added to a minority faction is a poor time/money-to-profit ratio, not lack of source material

and as for people complaining...people complain about EVERYTHING - if gold were raining from the skies, people would complain that it wasn't their exact favorite shade of gold; that shouldn't stop cryptic from continuing to make up original content, because for every disaster like the deferi, we get something awesome like the lukari in exchange​​

True, every Star Trek game has made stuff up. Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force is a perfect example of derivative gaming. Elite force add new content not seen or heard on TV shows. Elite force create brand new material for their game so did Armada and Star Trek online. STO is always adding content that not part of Star Trek cannon.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    lQG2XjD.jpg
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind seeing some more additions for the caitian/ferasan races, both ship wise, as well as a short story-arc dealing with them. THough also it would be fun to see them give romulans both a version of the Ferasans/Caitians (maybe a wolf/dog like race),and even adding a few more race options to them as well. Also just a Ferasan design ship would be a nice addition such as destroyer or raptor (maybe a dreadnought or dreadnought carrier), which could also be linked with the Atrox making it that if you own both (all three) race's ships you can use them with a unique skin designed to reflect that race's design if they made it. So think of a atrox designed an developed by the Ferasan that is more of a tactical or engineering focused carrier variant of the Atrox.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    "Take me down to the Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are kitties! Oh won't you please take me home!"​​
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As_Yk5sW0Pw

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I wanna play as a Mirror Universe Tribble.

How are they different from Prime Universe Tribbles? I dunno, but that's the purpose of a totally new story line comprising of 140+ missions to explore. Get to work Cryptic!!!
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    The next viable Micro-faction would be the Cardassian struggle and a story involving the True Way, which will include the Jem'Hadar.

A Borg faction is "NOT" a viable Micro-Faction as there are too many things that do not lineup with both Canon & as a species - for starters they are not a species per se, but an entity composed of many fallen species. However; that being said, I wouldn't rule out the possible return of Lor, Data's older brother, not Hue and his separated Borg clan.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    IMHO, Cardassians should be the next playable race. A completely independent Faction might be a bit too much, though. Perhaps the better way would be a combination of the TOS and Romulan Faction mechanics: original tutorial, starter missions, and T1-T6 ships, then ally with FED or KDF, but unlike Romulans who are locked out of T5-T6 ally ships, Cardassians would actually fold into their ally like TOS does with FED (basically becoming a playable race for that Faction) and be able to use their ships, eliminating the need to have parity with regards to ship choices.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch