test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

R&D Pack Promotion

Comments

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Oh wow this is impressive. Well played too...

Anyways, good thing I been massing up Dil. That is about the only way I will open those boxes up for my Connie. Connie Refit here I come! I was going to get the Geneva with my Dil mass. But looks like that will be on hold for a while now.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2016

I think it's more of a promise that there would never be a T6 endgame constitution.

CBS wasn't allowing an endgame constitution class. Now they are. The change doesn't suggest any weakness of moral character on the part of CBS or Cryptic (such as is implicit in breaking one's promise.) It only represents policy at any given moment. Stating it then didn't impose any condition on what might happen in the future. It was only a viewpoint. Even if that could look forward, it's moot now given the fact that there's been some kind of change.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Video games aren't your dad, its not about trust or promises or your feelings or your "relationship.'

Come on people take a deep breath and get some perspective.
    I don't think you understand other peoples perspective very well do you ?
    Consumer trust, is very important to capitalism. Without it, markets crash, businesses fail, I just happen to care about this company following their own informal and formal promises. If you don't that's fine, no need to make big deal out other peoples perspective. It makes you sound very conceded. People can have emotions, people can have different perspectives then you its fine.

You should be happy you're getting a t6 TOS connie and happy that the game won't be some clown show filled with them.

You should be happy they've developed exciting new stuff for the game.

You should be happy, not upset. Happy, do you understand?

Considering the expense involved in aquiring one of these beauties (any of them), it is effectively out of reach of the majority of the playerbase. Many of which have been itching for an end-game connie/d7 for years...

Should these people be happy as well?
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    What I had expected was a 21 or so day 50th Anniversary Event featuring 'Mine Trap' (updated and made for 5-persons). Similar to the revival of 'The Breach'. At the end the prize awarded would be the T6 TOS Constitution. This is obviously a single Character Unlock just for the Characters that ran the Event.

This however, I have no words for. Very disappointed and just to be clear I was never one clamoring for an End Game Constitution, Kelvin or Original. So I have no skin in this game.

Also, this BS about awarding the ship type based upon who opened the Box. They made great strides with the Infinity Lockbox where you can select your reward and then they retrograde to this. They should have kept up the selection with the Kelvin Lockbox and this.

This is applauded by those that have Billions of EC and buy and sell this stuff routinely. This and the Kelvin Lockbox has been a Godsend to them after the wind was taken out of their 'sales' (sic) by the Infinity Lockbox regardless of their populist protestations.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited August 2016

You should be happy you're getting a t6 TOS connie and happy that the game won't be some clown show filled with them.

You should be happy they've developed exciting new stuff for the game.

You should be happy, not upset. Happy, do you understand?

None of that excites me, hell the most exciting thing that they are going to add this year has been the engine update. I'd rather the sky's be filled with them, I'm sure if month or two time there would be the same mismatch of ships in ESD. In the end if they don't follow that rule what rule next ? I won't support said business practices, especially with how little they communicated stuff. Though they would have had to given me some pretty strong convincing to convince me a prime universe faction ships should be a gamble ship.

Whats funny is they could end up putting this ship in the 50th Anniversary event anyways, imagine the outcry from said Pro-gambling box Connie people. Because they never promised right ?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    orion0029 wrote: »

Considering the expense involved in aquiring one of these beauties (any of them), it is effectively out of reach of the majority of the playerbase. Many of which have been itching for an end-game connie/d7 for years...

If they're not let them provide their feedback. I don't think it will end well if we start projecting a personal sense of moral outrage onto a shapeless player base which might not actually have that strong of an opinion.

Speak for yourself, feel what's right for you to feel, and just deal with the facts as they are. If this truly is a big problem Cryptic might look at ways of expanding the availability of T6 TOS classics (stranger things have happened). But approaching that discussion from the starting point that Cryptic=TRIBBLE who should be ashamed at what they've done is only certain to torpedo ANY reasonable outcome of that discussion.

Perspective is needed on all sides.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    orion0029 wrote: »

If they're not let them provide their feedback. I don't think it will end well if we start projecting a personal sense of moral outrage onto a shapeless player base which might not actually have that strong of an opinion.

Speak for yourself, feel for yourself, and just deal with the facts as they are. If this is a really big problem Cryptic might look at ways of expanding the availability of T6 TOS classics (stranger things have happened). But approaching that discussion from the starting point that Cryptic=**** who should be ashamed at what they've done is only certain to torpedo ANY reasonable outcome of that discussion.

Perspective is needed on all sides.

I completely agree, and maintaining a proper unbiased perspective is the best way to approach any situation. Unfortunately, most people can't look at an issue from all sides. Even I have to occasionally take a moment to adjust my perspective from time to time.

This promotion will likely go over extremely well in-game, it will increase the sale of Zen and provide PWE with a tidy little boost to their profit margins this quarter. Alternatively, people who play this game and don't empty their wallets for these kind of promotions will have to go without, which will result in varying degrees of upsetness (is that a word? Ah well).

Personally, I'm mildly disappointed, I would have purchased these ships in a heartbeat if they were C-Store ships. But since they are not, I'll just grab a cup of tea, shrug it off, and move on.

Nothing else to do in a situation like this. :/

(And I just realized I may have been misspelling perspective all day... Uh oh. :()
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Definitely. Taking time to see things from the perspective of the other guy is a crucial skill in life. Once you learn how to do it (and to put your own views into perspective), so many things that seemed unfair before suddenly start to make sense.

I'll probably grab the Connie for my TOS Fed and the D7 for my KDF Delta Recruit.
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Iconians: "Cryptic could not possibly troll the playerbase more after shoving the Kelvin Timeline Connie in a lockbox."

Cryptic: "Challenge accepted. Here's a T6 Nagus Marauder for players with unwavering loyalty."

Iconians: "Okay... so they can't possibly troll the playerbase more after the T6 Nagus Marauder."

Cryptic: "Challenge accepted. Here's some much-requested costumes and they cost a ridiculous amount of refined dilithium to claim as single-character items."

Iconians: "Okay, wow... so they can't possibly troll the playerbase further after--"

Cryptic: "We're just gonna stop you right there, Iconians. Here's a T6 Connie, and it's in an R&D Promo box. The D7 and T'Liss warbird too."

Iconians: "... okay, I'm just going to shut the TRIBBLE up."​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    My response to this "good news" is "meh". Not interested in getting any of the three ships.

In other words, not excited in the slightest. Mostly because I expected Cryptic to pull this if they ever did release a Tier Five/Six Constitution Class starship. The release of the alt-reality Constitution in a gamble box only cemented that belief further.

I guess I was right. But no big deal. Plenty of good rides for characters for far less cost and effort.
  • Options
    freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    This makes me worried for two reasons -

1) this is an unexpected, and personally unwelcome, change from the usual 'normal ships are C-store' 'alien and alternate universe ships are lobi and R&D promotion gambles'.

2) after the AoY pack, we got how many back-to-back sales and now an R&D promotion featuring the most requested end-game ship since the game launched. Makes me wonder why are they going so far to make as much money as possible?

Plus the most daft / stupid thing about this?
    How do they expect to top this for the actual anniversary?
    What could they possibly offer us players that would be better then having to do a mission released on the 8th September to get these ships?

I can't see anything at all TBH, which means not only have they just managed to upset a lot of players who for whatever reason will refuse to get these ships but they just deflated KILLED any optimism and hope for the in-game anniversary events.

Also, just because they currently have a license to use Star Trek for this game DOES NOT mean they cannot TRIBBLE it up so badly that they make no money and have to close down before said license expires.
    Given how Klingon fans will happily pay for uniforms and replica weapons in RL and how they currently are UNABLE to sell anything to these Klingon fans, I for one can see them killing this game off through their continued neglect and incompetence.
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    You're off actually. The chances of winning a promo ship are actually higher than a lock box ship. Lock box ships are cheaper though because more lock boxes get opened than promo packs do. Also, promo ships are usually more desirable. So more people keep them.

^ I'd need to find the exact quotation, but I seem to remember from a past promo them saying that the chance per box is adjusted in proportion to the difference in zen prices, i.e. 125/275? = box %/R&D pack %

• Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    Your living in a dream world. This does not even exist in the realm of possibility.
    F2p games thrive off whales rather than the average player. These so-called whales are a small subset of rich people that can literally afford anything, and they don't give a damn about anyone else than their own satisfaction, and they are also the only ones greedy corporations care about.

Interesting point of view. Were you to own your own business, would you cater to those customers who can afford your product(s), thereby keeping you and your business profitable or focus on people who cannot afford your product(s)?
    Cry some more, fangirl, your tears are delicious...

Posts like this really serve no purpose. Hopefully a mod will come and edit these.

It does serve a purpose. It creates delicious tears of rage and frustration. I feast on those tears. It's my favorite dish. This is professional level trolling peeps. Cryptic finally gave you your ship, against their better judgement... behind a thousand dollar paywall.

I might actually buy some of those R&D packs just to get the ship to sell on the exchange. Taking bids now, starting at 1 billion EC.

So professional that you have to point it out to us?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    1) this is an unexpected, and personally unwelcome, change from the usual 'normal ships are C-store' 'alien and alternate universe ships are lobi and R&D promotion gambles'.

I don't see that Cryptic's applying a new standard to normal ships.

The rule set forth for unusual ships was that they couldn't be put into general circulation, a limited delivery method was necessary to release them to players. The rule set forth for the classic TOS ships (and this is one of the oldest discussions in STO history) was that they couldn't be put into general circulation (for the end game), period. What's changed is that the restricted classics have been given the alien ship caveat: we can have them so long as they're not just sold through the c-store.
  • Options
    Your living in a dream world. This does not even exist in the realm of possibility.
    F2p games thrive off whales rather than the average player. These so-called whales are a small subset of rich people that can literally afford anything, and they don't give a damn about anyone else than their own satisfaction, and they are also the only ones greedy corporations care about.

Interesting point of view. Were you to own your own business, would you cater to those customers who can afford your product(s), thereby keeping you and your business profitable or focus on people who cannot afford your product(s)?

Were I to own my own business I would not try to artificially inflate prices of my products to exclude what would most likely be my largest customer base.

But not the highest-spending...basic proportional math. 1 whale @ $200/month = 20 of me/you/etc @ $10/month, avg.
  • Options
    ....so....HOW does the T6 PRIME (temp or not) Constitution, D7 Cruiser and T'Liss Fit into a Promo Box? answer is, they're in really high demand and anticipated to be highly profitable.

Stick to your Rules precedent Cryptic.

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

Were I to own my own business I would not try to artificially inflate prices of my products to exclude what would most likely be my largest customer base.
    That's not how it works. As a business you need to cater to ALL your customers. You offer cheap solutions to poor customers and expensive solutions for the loaded customers that want to drop a lot of money. This game has options for everyone. Including people that are literally broke.

Free Leveling Ships
    Free Max Level account wide Event Ships
    $30 Max Level account wide ships + Fleet versions for single characters
    Very Rare Lock Box Ships
    Very Rare Lobi Ships
    Very Rare Promo Ships

Having the Tier 6 Constitution is not required to play the game. Just like when you go to a grocery store, you are not required to buy the $100 bottle of wine. There are options for all budgets. So like I said, cater to ALL your customers.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    shadowmane20001shadowmane20001 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I had suspected that the TOS T6 connie might be put in the game for the Anniversary. I didn't say anything. And I did suspect that if Cryptic did it it would be a random Lotto thing like the R&D packs. And frankly I am not surprised. NOR am I mad.

I understand something most seem to forget. Star trek online needs to make MONEY, if it stops earning a profit, IT DIES. They shut it down and goes away. Then you have to find ways to access the data and play it through third party patches and such which could be FILLED with Virus and spyware.

To be honest. YES I feel that it would be better in the C-store. I also expected IF it was put there. I would be willing to pay $100 USD dollars for a 3 pack. Now they could have ALSO made more money if they PUT it in the Fleet ship yard.

Want a T6 Connie? Well get a tier 5 Shipyard. Get 5 fleet modules and you can have it for one character. But the ship is so massively in demand, if it was easily available. Then... Why buy any other ships in the C-store? Why fly anything Else? It would become something that is a hemorrhage. If everyone could get their hands on it, any other way for STO to make money DIES.

No money No game.

Now if I recall the T6 bug ship. Has been in the R&D packs and it has cycled around two or three times. And I believe THE TOS T6 Connie will cycle as well. So even if THIS time I don't get the connie, I will save up my money, my stipend, my Zen, and wait for it to launch AGAIN and buy more R&D packs, and more chances to get the TOS t6 Connie.

But Haters hate anything they don't get for free.

ADDED
    But if the T6 Connie became a C-store item, or a lock box item. All you would see are Connies in space. You can shut down the KDF faction, The Romulan faction, and drop everything else not related to the Federation. There would be no incentive for the other factions to be played or bothered with.
  • Options
    blazeritterblazeritter Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Iconians: "Cryptic could not possibly troll the playerbase more after shoving the Kelvin Timeline Connie in a lockbox."

Cryptic: "Challenge accepted. Here's a T6 Nagus Marauder for players with unwavering loyalty."

Iconians: "Okay... so they can't possibly troll the playerbase more after the T6 Nagus Marauder."

Cryptic: "Challenge accepted. Here's some much-requested costumes and they cost a ridiculous amount of refined dilithium to claim as single-character items."

Iconians: "Okay, wow... so they can't possibly troll the playerbase further after--"

Cryptic: "We're just gonna stop you right there, Iconians. Here's a T6 Connie, and it's in an R&D Promo box. The D7 and T'Liss warbird too."

Iconians: "... okay, I'm just going to shut the **** up."​​

I had a similar conversation earlier with a friend of mine. Every time I think they can't sink any lower, they manage to prove me wrong.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Travel through time and space with our all-new R&D Pack Promotion! T6 Connie confirmed.

Now you have a chance to win a new-old-new ship!

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

7864860.jpg
    200_s.gif

anigif_enhanced-11227-1398714198-2.gif

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    So....are we done using the Z-Store for ships now? Should we just take down the starship sales part?
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User

29fbbcbc263883f411fe8d4fd651fa49aaa730c223137cf38745d9e3f49ef7cc.jpg​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Sorry, there's no way I'm spending that kind of money on a single-character unlock.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

37275667.jpg
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    I wonder how many people learned from the Kelvin lockbox. You know, the fact that winning the ship on a KDF alt (and selling it) gets you 2 of the FED ships from the exchange.

Who am I kidding? No one learned anything from that. :smiley:
  • Options
    forstoguyforstoguy Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    scarling wrote: »
    LOL Just waiting for the complaints because it's a R&D promo.

Why shouldn't there be? So many of us were hoping that a T6 connie would be tied into the anniverary. Not locked behind a lottery pack.

Happy anniversary - now play our lottery for the most iconic ship in the franchise.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure the only promise Cryptic has ever made is to do as they damn well please. And what pleases them is to get the maximum amount of money out of the most sought after ship in the entire franchise... and the maximum amount of money DOES NOT MEAN selling it on the cheap to the unwashed masses.

Get a grasp on 'whale economics' because that's what keeps this boat afloat.