What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Skill System Revamp

Comments

• Options
    hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    So damn confused. Now specializing in drain adds drain resistance so my drain boat won't be as effective since everyone and their mothers invests in drain because of plasmonic leech. I do like the control expertise skill, and the shield mastery sounds awesome for a damage reflection build.

Long range targeting sensors = The one everyone will fill, and the answer to cannon builds problems.

1st thing I thought too, regarding my drain build. However I think this new system has more gave and take then before.
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • Options
    elothoxelothox Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    @pwlaughingtrendy I think this is a good thing. It's something the game needs and it will help remove an odd barrier-to-entry for newer players. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    90 Skills - 56 Skill Points...

Even I can see this is a Nerf.

But, I guess it'll make the three individual professions a bit more unique.

518d13efdd100f44091c97f3fb627fb4.jpg
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    drazziidrazzii Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    So will you be building a system to have dual builds so players can switch between say a tanking build to a dps build to a crowd control build, etc?
    aV2IRVJ.png
  • Options
    alexhurlbutalexhurlbut Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    Hmm not really a fan of the splitting of ground and space skills. This will make several of my toons more or less redundant.
    How so? under the old system, you were required to invest in the ground skills to progress up the tiers of the skills. WIth this new system, you have 10 ground skill points specifically for the ground skills, seperated from the space skill points.

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I write to express my extreme disappointment in the inevitable arrival of this nursery school skill tree system.
    95% red tree tac faw encouraged.

The only thing good I have to say about it is that it isn't going live tomorrow. Each day that I get before it arrives is a blessing.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    malebissemalebisse Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    So once again, one day we will log into the game and be forced to re-skill captains, just like the last time you revamped the skills. Is this correct? Is there any way to just cross-map each existing skill into the new skills tree? It would only take a little ETL tool to comb through the existing database.

What happens to all of the Experience / Skill points that captains have accumulated over the years? Do they get converted so that these captains can keep them, or do they disappear which would force captains to begin earning them from scratch again?
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    TLDR: It's like the Post level 50 Specialization system - only with Space and Ground Skills (1 Space and one Ground point per level) to Level 50; and the skills have been streamlined and combined.

I have to wonder though if they'll use this to re-align DPS output capability in an attempt to 'normalize' everything. Sorry, but given past revamp history of other STO player mechanics and game systems the "Don't worry, you won't loose anything..." rings hollow - especially if Al (Captain Geko) Rivera was involved in any major aspect.

But, we'll see, as I will say the Boff skill revamp turned out okay; but the four revamps up to what ultimately became the current crafting system was a mess; as is (IMO) the current equipment Upgrade system and certain aspects of the revamped Doff system as well as the Foundry rewards and ratings systems (third time the Foundry wrapper mission has been silently removed). So again, (IMO) Cryptic's 'System Revamp' record is overall lacklustre and more often than not has resulted in a net loss (of character power/ability or rewards) despite all their claims of 'it'll be equivalent or better, trust us.'
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    For a second time they're redoing the skill system. I don't mind that MMOs tend to completely reinvent the game over time. My main concern is relearning what works again in an environment where respecs are not free and unlimited.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I
    hajmyis wrote: »
    so we get 60 skill points. 45 space and 15 ground? or do we unlock everything as time goes by?

You will get a total of 46 Space Points and 10 Ground Points. There are 90 Space Skill Nodes you can purchase, and 20 Ground Skill Nodes. So no, you won't be able to buy everything.

This was my absolute biggest question, thanks for the quick reply Borticus.

Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    You will get a total of 46 Space Points and 10 Ground Points. There are 90 Space Skill Nodes you can purchase, and 20 Ground Skill Nodes. So no, you won't be able to buy everything.

That's a shame :(

Not as much as you are thinking:

Currently -
    spendable : max possible
    space = 300,000 : 630,000, ratio = 0.47619...
    ground = 100,000 : 180,000 ratio = 0.55555...

New -
    space = 46 : 90 ratio = 0.51111....
    ground = 10 : 20 ratio = 0.5

So the only people being nerfed are pure ground specced characters; an average player can expect an increase in their potential given the vast majority of players spec more into space than ground.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,334 Arc User
    In George Takeis words.....

Oooooh my!

That sums it up nicely. Will have to read the article in detail before i can comment though.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    mrsmitty81mrsmitty81 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Glad I didn't purchase plasmonic leech last night I have a feeling it is going to be nerfed into the ground
  • Options
    georikzaberiskgeorikzaberisk Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    I just want a good Explanation on the following:
    Long-Range Targeting Sensors

Each rank purchased in this 3-point Skill will reduce the damage penalty experienced by being far away from the target of your energy weapons.
    Does this ability Affect Cannons? because if it does this would be a great News for Cannon Users. Also will this also include Turrets?
    Shield Mastery

Purchasing the first rank in this 3-point Skill allows you to automatically negate the damage from one incoming Critical Hit every 20 seconds. Additional investments can be made to also have this negation trigger a Shield Heal and/or Reflect the damage back at the attacker.

How much reflect it will do? Will it Stack with The Sci skills own Reflect, The Yamato's Console ability and The Nukara Shield?
    Coordination Protocols

This 3-point Skill allows players to increase the effectiveness of their Hangar Pets, by gaining passive bonuses to their hull capacity, shield capacity, damage output, damage resistance, defense and accuracy.

How much are the difference in bonus received between specialized Pets that are on carriers and the the other pets? Also Is this at least a high chance to survive VS BFAW? And for that matter will this also affect Pets that are slotted on the device slot and the Console platforms?

And since this is a new system it's safe to assume by the skills that have been "locked" and the new added specialization skills for each "Class Tree" that we will receive a reset on our skills but the question is d we also get a free Respec?

Seriously with this kind of update we are all flying blind on what to put and requires a little bit of experimentation and not everyone can access tribble.

@pwlaughingtrendy if you can please answer some of these questions or anyone one of the staff on the dev team I think most people would be delighted. But I sure would be. Thank you and would be waiting for a reply. I hope >.<
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    malebisse wrote: »
    So once again, one day we will log into the game and be forced to re-skill captains, just like the last time you revamped the skills. Is this correct? Is there any way to just cross-map each existing skill into the new skills tree? It would only take a little ETL tool to comb through the existing database.

Yes, your Skills will be refunded and you get to make a new build in the new system. Aside from some fundamental mechanical changes to the underpinnings of the system that would make automatic translations impossible, many things that existed under the old system as Skills no longer exist in that same form in the new system, so even a philosophical 1:1 conversion is out of the question.
    What happens to all of the Experience / Skill points that captains have accumulated over the years? Do they get converted so that these captains can keep them, or do they disappear which would force captains to begin earning them from scratch again?

Expertise will be untouched.

Skill Points are being renamed to "Experience Points" and are now strictly used to determine your level. Their values remain unchanged in that regard. You will be automatically granted the correct number of Space Points and Ground Points, based on your level.

Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    As concepts, I view consolidated skills like Drain Expertise, Control Expertise, and Kit Performance as very welcome changes. The new skills mentioned, Coordination Protocols and Long-Range Targeting Sensors, sound amazing.

With the amount of action bar glut that my ships suffer from already, though (especially in ships with four device slots plus warp cores that come with integrated batteries, or ships that have complete sets with activated three-piece or four-piece set bonus abilities), I don't need more activated "Ultimate" abilities if I have no where to put them.

When this change goes live, can we possibly see the action bars expanded from ten buttons per row to twelve? That would be six extra keybinds on a three-row action bar layout. Then I might actually feel free to slot and use the activated abilities that I gain from completing reputation grinds, let alone whatever new stuff you're thinking of adding.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    cbrjwrr wrote: »

That's a shame :(

Not as much as you are thinking:

Currently -
    space = 300,000 : 630,000, ratio = 0.47619...
    ground = 100,000 : 180,000 ratio = 0.55555...

New -
    space = 46 : 90 ratio = 0.51111....
    ground = 10 : 20 ratio = 0.5

So the only people being nerfed are pure ground specced characters; an average player can expect an increase in their potential given the vast majority of players spec more into space than ground.

Thanks for beating me to posting the math!
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I'll need to see this on Tribble for how it works under the hood, but it certainly seems less confusing.

I may have to try them out myself. But after the Omega games.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    rllaillieurllaillieu Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    The only question I have is how this will affect current players, regardless of their level. Will we be given the chance to start over and reselect our skills, or are you going to just leave us to dry?
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User

Thanks for beating me to posting the math!

No problem - it should of course be added that my original comparison is skewed in favour of the old system given the way I've displayed the data implies you could spend 300k in space and 100k in ground when you can't.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    rllaillieu wrote: »
    The only question I have is how this will affect current players, regardless of their level. Will we be given the chance to start over and reselect our skills, or are you going to just leave us to dry?

Maybe you should read before your post. We all get to respec it all.
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    This looks to be potentially a much clearer and better system overall than what we have now.
    But once I get hands on it I will be able to judge that better.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    nikolunusnikolunus Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    I will have to do some testing on this one, I am one of those players that like trying round about ways of doing thing or making that oddball build that most would scoff at.

While a lot seems explained I am worried that for simular players like myself who make builds that are not typical may be left out in the wind and that the game may become more in line with traditional mmo's.
    Space is vast, it's wonderful and maddening. Yet in that madness is some of the greatest beauty I have ever seen.
  • Options

As I've already mentioned, all existing players will automatically have their Skills refunded when this system goes to Holodeck. You will be automatically granted the correct number of Space Points and Ground Points based on your current level.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    nimrod007nimrod007 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I left all the rest mmorpg becouse of "we like to make thing more clear for new players"....it ended up allways-allways bad...STO is one of the most comlplicated MMORPG....and Thats WHY I LIke it how it is...Its complexity...Im playing like 3 years and i have to tell there is allways something to learn if a new contents comes out. And thats inspirating...If U guys going to make this changes, then u willl take away this "freedom of creation" from all captian because ppl are too leasy to learn Eng/Ger/Fra languages etc. to understand STO it self.We going to see hundreds and hundreds of the same skilltree.Wich is one of the core point wich give me the feeling: "I can do what ever i want, and how I want and i like it how it is".PPl do like Strek Univers thats great now do not let it riun couse a buch guys who do not have the minimum IQ to play it.Is it harder to play STO as the rest of MMORPG it is...and SORRRY...BUT THATS WHY PPL LIKE IT.U're going to KILL this game for a few low minded....BUT u cloud do it from an other way be more specific in certan thing in the skill tree lets say show the calculation of the corrent players stats and how it would it change with varius chooses on a diagram or with animated mini vid or something. But do not destroy this game with such a changes...why don't u make a free forum to captains ask them what should be a benefit for STO and it community.PIck captains and if it needed pay the to help....Thank U for taking the time to read this.

in game name:Daniel Pike@doki777
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    90 Skills - 56 Skill Points...

Even I can see this is a Nerf.

But, I guess it'll make the three individual professions a bit more unique.

Care to elaborate? We currently have more holes in the skill tree to fill than we have points to spend, e.g. 366k points to allocate out of a possible 600k or so, so the 56/90 proportion is basically equal to the 366/600 proportion, plus we get some of what were the old skills (threat control, attack patterns, driver coil) as things we don't have to spend the new nodes/points on

The effective distribution of skills, due to combining, might change a bit, but the proportion of the total we can invest in is the same.
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    I'll be brief:

C0nsIdO.gif

CAN'T WAIT!

*q*
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    mrsmitty81mrsmitty81 Member Posts: 102 Arc User

As I've already mentioned, all existing players will automatically have their Skills refunded when this system goes to Holodeck. You will be automatically granted the correct number of Space Points and Ground Points based on your current level.

I think the person is worried they will make a mistake while respecting due to not fully understanding the new system and then being forced to purchase a respect token.
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    I wonder how this will affect science builds, particularly how the skill tree will work out between the current flow caps (drain tree), grav gens (control tree) and partgens (no mention of it in the post?).

I welcome the change. Just be careful that the change won't push people into cookie cutter builds even more.
  • Options
    A quick note for folks wanting to experiment with the new System:

When it arrives on Tribble, we'll have a test vendor available that sells free Respec Tokens, as well as bundles of 10,000 Experience Points. So please try it out when it gets patched to Tribble, and send us your feedback!
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"