Install Arc
Options

Flagships should be full T6 ships.

Comments

• Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What's a Flagship?

It's those ships that do absolutely nothing during every major battle we fight, but they manage to get all the glory and fame and the rewards instead of us.

:D
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Obsolete to some simply means "not the most advanced design". There are newer ships with improvements over older ships - but that doesn't mean the old ships get thrown away and forgotten. They stay in service, get upgrades - they may lag behind, but they are still useful.

But in a STO, people often really want to use the best there is - because they rae not commanding a fleet of dozens of ships, and having one old and the new one together is better than just the new one. You can fly only one at a time, and there is no reason to take the weaker ship.

Obsolete to me means a ship that can't be used anymore...can I still use my T5 ships in the new expansion...yes...so they are not obsolete
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Exactly, there is no logic to it.
    Seriously It takes more than just a year to completely design, build and introduce a new fleet of starships that outclasses everything that came before.

None of which were made obsolete less than a year after the introduction of their CLASS. :rolleyes:

Except the Oddy was obsolete since well...since not long after it was launched...it's kinda a jack of all trades master of none.

Oh and before I forget...I'm amazed how you know every T5 U ship will be obsolete...how many devs are leaking you information about the T6 ships and their powers?
  • Options
    mondoretardomondoretardo Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Oh and before I forget...I'm amazed how you know every T5 U ship will be obsolete...how many devs are leaking you information about the T6 ships and their powers?

Just look at the pack information, and understand that the bonus boff slot they get is a commander level slot. Unless the Information Officer's powers are completely useless 4 extra boff powers are going to swing the power curve entirely to the T6 ships.

1 Console slot and 10% hull vs 4 more boff powers? yeah, you be the judge which will be more important.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    yes and no

flagship has two meanings....the commander of the fleet's ship and the ship that is the best of the best
    in STO it means the best of the best

Using the second doesn't really help here either..... just means the "Flagships" are not longer "flaghips".... But as "Flagships" don't by definition need to be "flagships", it still doesn't matter.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    There's a post over in the Tribble PvP forums with screen caps and info on the Intel BOFF's abilities. Yeah, a Commander level Intel BOFF > 1 console slot and more hull. By far.

Per the devs
    "I'm not sure where this misconception came from.

T6 ships have ONE additional Boff ability. Not 4, and not 5-7.

In other words, an existing T5 ship has 12. These will have 13. Not 16+ like you're implying."
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    dukeskyloaferdukeskyloafer Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There's a post over in the Tribble PvP forums with screen caps and info on the Intel BOFF's abilities. Yeah, a Commander level Intel BOFF > 1 console slot and more hull. By far.

Are they adding an entire additional commander slot? I was under the impression that a lt cmdr slot was just becoming a cmdr slot, as compared to a T5U. So just one more commander level power. Is this confirmed somewhere?
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Even having access to a full cmdr boff slot over lt.cmdr is a MAJOR advantage.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    They ought to re-read what they post then. From the Delta Rising Operations Pack details;

That makes it sound like a Commander level BOFF seat, so it's understandable.

it could be a commander level BOFF seat...but it's not in addition to.

example on my Tac Oddy I have
    LT Tac
    CDR ENG
    LT SCI
    LCDR UNI
    ENS UNI

on a T6 ship the layout could be
    LT Tac
    CDR ENG
    LT SCI
    CDR INTELL
    ENS UNI
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Even having access to a full cmdr boff slot over lt.cmdr is a MAJOR advantage.

but you would be giving up a boff slot....look at your ship and decide which of those slots would you give up Tac, Sci, Eng or Uni for a CDR intelligence officer?
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    it could be a commander level BOFF seat...but it's not in addition to.

example on my Tac Oddy I have
    LT Tac
    CDR ENG
    LT SCI
    LCDR UNI
    ENS UNI

on a T6 ship the layout could be
    LT Tac
    CDR ENG
    LT SCI
    CDR INTELL
    ENS UNI

Just a thought, but what if the commander level intelligence seat is the only commander seat on these ships, and they gain their extra power in a different seat?
  • Options
    mondoretardomondoretardo Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Seems to be some confusion about it. According to Borticus, it's only 1 more BOFF slot, not a whole new Commander seat. That text in the pack info is confusing the issue.

Then maybe they can explain why on Tribble right now your Information Officer has skills that can be placed in space slots from Ensign to Commander. All 4 slots. If they can only be placed in a Commander level spot, there's no need for Ensign to Lt. Commander space skills.

The only Logical answer I can guess at is that you can put them in Universal slots, but that then completely destroys the "Only Information Ships can have Information Officers" line they're trying to hook people with.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Then maybe they can explain why on Tribble right now your Information Officer has skills that can be placed in space slots from Ensign to Commander. All 4 slots. If they can only be placed in a Commander level spot, there's no need for Ensign to Lt. Commander space skills.

The only Logical answer I can guess at is that you can put them in Universal slots, but that then completely destroys the "Only Information Ships can have Information Officers" line they're trying to hook people with.

They are likely replacing a lt cmdr tac, sci, eng, or uni seat with a commander intelligence seat. 4 intelligence power slots at the expense of three others.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

You will have a commander intelligence officer but it is not an additional seat. Of the five seats we all have one will be a commander intell seat.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    There is 2 types of flagships that Star Trek uses.

Federation Flagship: The pride of the Federation, where ship and crew is the best there is. This is where the Enterprise and her crew usually fell into.

Fleet Flagship: Where an Admiral or someone who is in charge of a fleet. Most during fleet maneuvers and combat.

To me I'm in a Flagship of the Fleet.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They are likely replacing a lt cmdr tac, sci, eng, or uni seat with a commander intelligence seat. 4 intelligence power slots at the expense of three others.

This seems the most obvious conclusion to me.
  • Options
    squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Right. So.

Flagship can mean "Ship the admiral of a taskforce is currently on". He's the flag officer, this is his ship. It is not necessarily the most powerful ship in the task force (though it often is), but rather the one the admiral feels is best suited to coordinating and commanding his group of ships. He may not even do this from the flagship's command deck, preferring to use more advanced CnC facilities located elsewhere.

Flagship can also mean, in a more colloquial sense, "Exemplary" or "Emblematic". A highly advanced and secretive recon ship crewed by spies and assassins isn't going to be the exemplar of the Starfleet ideal. Neither, necessarily, is a dedicated warship crewed by a hard-TRIBBLE military commander. The Enterprise remained very much an emblem of the Starfleet ideal , not because of it's capacity for violence or technological advancement, but because of the exploits of her captain and crew.

So...what is all the malarky about the current faction flagships not being good enough because they don't bring the most DPS?
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    why not?
    technological advances are not on a time table. In RL ships become obsolete soon after launching. Is it impossible that a year after the ENT E launched another group of scientists and engineers got together and designed and built a ship more advanced then it?

Not just impossible but actual cannon that they didn't.

a lot of this upgrade stuff has now confused me so do tier 6 ships get a extra commander bo slot or does say a lt com slot become a com slot?

some clearance on this is clearly needed.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    edited September 2014

a lot of this upgrade stuff has now confused me so do tier 6 ships get a extra commander bo slot or does say a lt com slot become a com slot?

The T6 ships will have one more boff slot than the T5U....so yes it's like a LCDR uni becoming CDR.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

How do you know that there weren't newer ships being designed within the same year as Ent E or Ent D?
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Prometheus Class came right after the Enterprise E, and it was more Advance

Also if the Enterprise D was not destroyed then the U.S.S Sovereign would have been more advance than the Galaxy class.

So even being the Flagship does not mean having the best stuff
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Also if the Enterprise D was not destroyed then the U.S.S Sovereign would have been more advance than the Galaxy class.

Yup... Ronald Moore said the ship that would become Ent E was finished being built during the last season of TNG
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just look at the pack information, and understand that the bonus boff slot they get is a commander level slot. Unless the Information Officer's powers are completely useless 4 extra boff powers are going to swing the power curve entirely to the T6 ships.

1 Console slot and 10% hull vs 4 more boff powers? yeah, you be the judge which will be more important.

Except you think they're stupid enough to add a whole commander slot a.k.a. 4 powers? Besides they already said T6 will have one extra boff power not 4...just like with this bug ship will be T6 thing...people are reading it and thinking the absolute worst...people really need to learn how to read and interpret better.

Sure it will have 2 Cmdrs which is powerful...but we don't know how far these intelligence powers will go...but we do know adding a console slot can be very powerful to any ship...especially if it's a tac slot.

Plus we still don't know the stats on these ships...you don't know their hull strength, shield mod, turn rate, console numbers, or general boff seating.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

The Enterprise E was fully launched in 2372, the Prometheus on the other hand was still an experimental prototype in 2374.

Also wether or not the Ent D had been destroyed or not is irrelevant, as it was no longer by that time a brand new class and generation of ships.

Point is, in STO the Bortasqu and Odyssey as flagships are brand new classes of ships, launched in 2409.
    The year is 2410, and the idea that such new and advanced ships should be second or third rate ships now is just ridiculous.

Especially when you take into account of the actual cost of the packs required to fully kit out each flagship.
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Gotta disagree OP.

There is most certainly canon precedent for the Flagship of the Fleet to NOT be the top of the line. Generally speaking, the flagship is top of the line at the time they are designated the Flagship. It's an honorary title more than anything, and that title doesn't transfer to another ship until the existing ship is destroyed or retired, in which then the flagship would be upgraded to the newest, latest, most advanced ship.

When the Big-D was the flagship, at least two other ships in the fleet were more advanced, possibly 3. The Defiant and Intrepid Classes were technologically speaking far superior to the Galaxy, yet they didn't suddenly replace the Enterprise-D with an Intrepid class. Additionally, the Prometheus and Nova classes were in development, or under construction at the time the Big-E was flagship, and again, they didn't simply replace the Big-E on account of it no longer being "top of the line."

I do however think that when the Odyssey was launched, along with the Avenger, these were considered "pinnacle" ships in terms of their tech, and suddenly a year later we have 3 new ships that are completely and radically different than the supposed most advanced ships in Starfleet? Since those T6 ships were clearly in design or production at the time the Odyssey and Avengers were being produced, it makes no sense that the design has departed so radically from what we know of ship production in the 2409-2410 era.

It's obvious Cryptic's artists don't have a firm grasp on design and engineering concepts.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I take it we are talking about Flagship as in a singular ship which represents a particular faction as opposed to a flagship of an individual fleet or battle group.

Flagship could mean many things. here is a real world example.

The flagship of the British Navy is still HMS Victory, Admiral Nelsons ship he used at the Battle of Trafalgar 200 years ago. It's in a naval dockyard in Portsmouth! She is the oldest commissioned Naval vessel in the world she is still considered a front line vessel.
    Obviously it's symbolic a sailing ship would be useless in a modern war. That's not the point, she is a symbol.

In All Good Things the Enterprise D is still in service as the personal flagship of Admiral Riker. Who's to say despite her age and massive refits she isn't still regarded as the federation flagship. the ship that represents all that's good and great about the Federation, she may not be top of the line but her history and achievements is what gives her the right to be called the flagship. (The flagship as opposed to a flagship.) :D
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Tell you what: Have cryptic make a mission for each faction, where you destroy each of the individual two other factions Flagship, with their current code.

IF you can destroy them, theres a problem... If not... well... problem solved.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas