test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Flagships should be full T6 ships.

senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
They are supposed to be Flagships, top-of-the line of the fleets.

Just seems completely wrong for them to be inferior to a new line of ship and not have the bells and whistles of them.
Post edited by senatorvreenak on

Comments

• Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    thank god this thread popped up. i was afraid we wouldn't see one today. :)
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Not this again.

Flagships are already inferior, ships like the Mogh and the Avenger put the Bortasque and Oddessy to shame.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They may be top of the line when they're made, named, and crowned but otherwise no. The Enterprise A is a prime example...it was around when the Excelsior was produced but it still remained a Constitution Refit. What was the Enterprise B again?

Do you think the Galaxy was top of the line right before the D was destroyed in Generations? Do you think the E was top of the line with all the new ships and tech that has came out up until the F was made?
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What's a Flagship?

the Odyssey scimitar and borta'squ are the flagships of each faction.

and which exception to the scimitar both the fed and KDF one are less than a year old and are now outdated which is insane.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Just seems completely wrong for them to be inferior to a new line of ship and not have the bells and whistles of them.

What are you basing your thoughts on this?
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited September 2014

and which exception to the scimitar both the fed and KDF one are less than a year old and are now outdated which is insane.

Exactly, there is no logic to it.
    Seriously It takes more than just a year to completely design, build and introduce a new fleet of starships that outclasses everything that came before.
    lianthelia wrote: »
    They may be top of the line when they're made, named, and crowned but otherwise no. The Enterprise A is a prime example...it was around when the Excelsior was produced but it still remained a Constitution Refit. What was the Enterprise B again?

Do you think the Galaxy was top of the line right before the D was destroyed in Generations? Do you think the E was top of the line with all the new ships and tech that has came out up until the F was made?

None of which were made obsolete less than a year after the introduction of their CLASS. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »

a valid argument.

however both the galaxy and Constitution were many years old by then in the st timeline, where as the Odyssey is technically only a year old if even that.
    0bzJyzP.gif

• Options
    edited September 2014
    a valid argument.

however both the galaxy and Constitution were many years old by then in the st timeline, where as the Odyssey is technically only a year old if even that.
    if you want to be 'technical' starfleet couldn't produce 50 new ship classes in a year, so it's better to realize it's a game and not trying to be technical about anything.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited September 2014

The Scimitar joined the Romulan fleet in 2379, and in game it is 2410. Making the Scimitar 31 years old.

It has been available for people to play for a year now.

Time for a new flag ship.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    cidjack wrote: »
    The Scimitar joined the Romulan fleet in 2379, and in game it is 2410. Making the Scimitar 31 years old.

It has been available for people to play for a year now.

Time for a new flag ship.

I believe that was my point, the Scimitar is the only current flagship that is a outdated vessel.
    stf65 wrote: »
    if you want to be 'technical' starfleet couldn't produce 50 new ship classes in a year, so it's better to realize it's a game and not trying to be technical about anything.

and where is your basis for that?

starfleet has a huge amount of shipyards and vast production and designers in a time of war it isn't far fetched that new ships could be designed and made in a year.
    0bzJyzP.gif

• Options
    edited September 2014
    according to canon it took 6 years for the enterprise e galaxy to be built. Picard went to teach at the academy while waiting for it to be finished.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    according to canon it took 6 years for the enterprise e galaxy to be built. Picard went to teach at the academy while waiting for it to be finished.
    are you referring to the Enterprise D or E

Either way in the next gen series they stated very early on the the Galaxy class was the most advanced ship and the Enterprise E was still the most advanced ship after a year cannon.
    0bzJyzP.gif

• Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited September 2014

No. No. NO.

There are always a generation of ships in development ahead of the flagship. Top of the line yes? bleeding edge tech no.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Unless your ship is named Enterprise, you're not flying a flagship
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Set a course for the Delta Quadrant. Plot speed. Engage!
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    On a side note have you guys seen the pic of the guradian class T-6?

Idk about you guys but it beres a strong resemblence to the USS Vengeance in JJ Trek?
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    The Romulan Flagship (Lleiset) is a Tulwar, a modern design, not a Scimitar which is an old design.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    cuatelacuatela Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I believe that was my point, the Scimitar is the only current flagship that is a outdated vessel.

starfleet has a huge amount of shipyards and vast production and designers in a time of war it isn't far fetched that new ships could be designed and made in a year.

The basis comes from established backstories for existing ship classes, which typically took a few years of development, let alone the actual construction. The Galaxy class, for example, had a design phase of roughly 5 years (give or take a couple), and the Enterprise-D itself took at least a full year to be built and commissioned.

However, it should be noted that most of the newer designs have ben released over the course of the past 15 years, rather than the assumed two-year timespan. The USS Rapier, for example, is established in one of the Cardassian-series missions as having been lost for "almost 10 years", which means the Rapier class ships were first activated in 2399. Other ships like the Luna and Vesta have been around since the 2380's (despite the latter being released to us later than that).

At least some of the "new" ships that have been released in the last game year or so are likely also existing ships that have recently become available. However, the Odyssey and later classes like the Regent, Avenger, Tempest, and Armitage are all firmly established as being brand new classes.

Basically, any ship that came out at launch is likely more than a few years old, and the ships released between then and now were all in development up until recently, with construction on the first batches finishing this past year.

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Being the flagship does not mean being the most advanced...and while at some point the Ent D was the most advanced someone go around and made the Intrepid class which at it's first episode is said to be the most advanced ship...and then we get the Prometheus which is also said to be the most advanced ship.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Being the flagship does not mean being the most advanced...and while at some point the Ent D was the most advanced someone go around and made the Intrepid class which at it's first episode is said to be the most advanced ship...and then we get the Prometheus which is also said to be the most advanced ship.

Again, the most advanced ships don't become "obsolete" a mere year after their introduction. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Again, the most advanced ships don't become "obsolete" a mere year after their introduction. :rolleyes:

why not?
    technological advances are not on a time table. In RL ships become obsolete soon after launching. Is it impossible that a year after the ENT E launched another group of scientists and engineers got together and designed and built a ship more advanced then it?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Dont worry, the "flagships" will have the advantage until T6 Fleet comes, if it does.

Well, the new Intelligence class is looking to throw a wrench into that.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014

No, actually, it isn't, because the Scimitar isn't a flagship. The Lleiset is a Tulwar-class, a new design based on the Scimitar chassis.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A flagship is a ship used by the commander of a group of ships, flagships are not necessarily "top of the line", it's just whichever ship a group commander is using. Flagships of the various states are PARTICULAR ships, not entire classes.... The Enterprise-F is the federation flagship..... other sister-ships in the Odyssey class are not.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Maybe wooden sailing ships do. What does that make ships like the real U.S.S. Enterprise or the U.S.S. New Jersey who had 50 years in service? Flukes? Magic?

Sorry, but the whole "old = obsolete" doesn't wash.

1) I don't think old = obsolete.
    2) That carrier was decommissioned and a new Enterprise is scheduled to be built
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-80)
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Maybe wooden sailing ships do. What does that make ships like the real U.S.S. Enterprise or the U.S.S. New Jersey who had 50 years in service? Flukes? Magic?

Sorry, but the whole "old = obsolete" doesn't wash.

Obsolete to some simply means "not the most advanced design". There are newer ships with improvements over older ships - but that doesn't mean the old ships get thrown away and forgotten. They stay in service, get upgrades - they may lag behind, but they are still useful.

But in a STO, people often really want to use the best there is - because they rae not commanding a fleet of dozens of ships, and having one old and the new one together is better than just the new one. You can fly only one at a time, and there is no reason to take the weaker ship.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    A flagship is a ship used by the commander of a group of ships, flagships are not necessarily "top of the line", it's just whichever ship a group commander is using. Flagships of the various states are PARTICULAR ships, not entire classes.... The Enterprise-F is the federation flagship..... other sister-ships in the Odyssey class are not.

yes and no

flagship has two meanings....the commander of the fleet's ship and the ship that is the best of the best
    in STO it means the best of the best
    Your pain runs deep.