Install Arc
Options

Flagships should be full T6 ships.

13»

Comments

• Options
    ankokunekoankokuneko Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    STO reminds me when I play something like master of orion or galactic civilizations lol, design awesome ships, start queueing shipyards to make a fleet, a few turns later they all obsolete from new tech and end up naming stuff like LRM LCR mkIX ++
    jFriX.png
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'd be willing to pay full T6 ship prices in order to upgrade my T5 ship to true T6.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    All T5 ships should be able to upgrade to T6 .

As it stands , T6 lockbox ships will make T5-U owners cry .
  • Options
    atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ankokuneko wrote: »
    STO reminds me when I play something like master of orion or galactic civilizations lol, design awesome ships, start queueing shipyards to make a fleet, a few turns later they all obsolete from new tech and end up naming stuff like LRM LCR mkIX ++

Yep I modded/TRIBBLE into both of those games too. Extremely ultra slow research FTW. I had to enjoy my lasers for 60 turns before got into plasma weapons. Made both games so much funner...

Anyway, All STO flagships should be tech/tier 6. "Top of the line my azz". They don't know what flagship means. Look at the Yamato in WWII, or Star Wars' Super Star Destroyer. They're flagships because they're the biggest baddest [bleeping] ships in the fleet.

I look at the KDF Bortasqu and I laugh. Give it 10 weapons forward 8 aft, Automated torpedo turrets, A 50 shot [Heavy Disruptor Blast Cannon], a forward [Quad Disruptor Lance], and 8 tactical console slots. See that people? That's a T6 Klingon flagship.

(Feed back pulse would pwn the %^$# out of it, but still. You guys get the point.)
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    The flagship of the British Navy is still HMS Victory, Admiral Nelsons ship he used at the Battle of Trafalgar 200 years ago. It's in a naval dockyard in Portsmouth! She is the oldest commissioned Naval vessel in the world she is still considered a front line vessel.
    Obviously it's symbolic a sailing ship would be useless in a modern war. That's not the point, she is a symbol.

It's Royal Navy, and the flag ship is currently the HMS Bulwark an Albion Class Assault Ship. The Victory has never been a flagship.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    How do you know that there weren't newer ships being designed within the same year as Ent E or Ent D?

LAFORGE: Captain, we've been out in space for nearly a year now. We're ready! The Enterprise-E is the most advanced starship in the fleet. We should be on the front line.

there may have been others being built but according to laforge in a film (ie cannon) the enterprise E was still the most advanced after a year.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014

LAFORGE: Captain, we've been out in space for nearly a year now. We're ready! The Enterprise-E is the most advanced starship in the fleet. We should be on the front line.

there may have been others being built but according to laforge in a film (ie cannon) the enterprise E was still the most advanced after a year.

At that time. 30+ years ago in STO lore,...

Even then, it wouldn't have stayed "most advanced" forever. Within a couple of years, something new would have been designed and/or built or at the very least retro fitted.

"Top of the line" and "most advanced" are constantly moving targets. Always have been, always will be.

The so-called "flagships" don't need to be T6 "top of the line" at launch, but they will need to come out with T6 "versions" or replacements at some point within a reasonable period of time.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Not quite.

T5U should come with an extra BOFF power spot (however that's accomplished) in addition to the rest of the upgrade. Then it's at least worth the upgrade. T6 can keep the intel BOFF stuff and the level 5 ship mastery.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    corelogik wrote: »
    At that time. 30+ years ago in STO lore,...

Even then, it wouldn't have stayed "most advanced" forever. Within a couple of years, something new would have been designed and/or built or at the very least retro fitted.

"Top of the line" and "most advanced" are constantly moving targets. Always have been, always will be.

The so-called "flagships" don't need to be T6 "top of the line" at launch, but they will need to come out with T6 "versions" or replacements at some point within a reasonable period of time.
    That's the point, its only been ONE year in game and yet the most advanced starships are no longer top of the line.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,626 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Unless your ship is named Enterprise, you're not flying a flagship

completely incorrect. Your Character is a flag officer, ergo the ship she is embarked on is a flagship.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    On a side note have you guys seen the pic of the guradian class T-6?

Idk about you guys but it beres a strong resemblence to the USS Vengeance in JJ Trek?

out of curiosity, are you going to say that in every thread you post in? you have already made a unique thread about it and common consensus indicated you are completely wrong
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    A flagship is a ship used by the commander of a group of ships, flagships are not necessarily "top of the line", it's just whichever ship a group commander is using. Flagships of the various states are PARTICULAR ships, not entire classes.... The Enterprise-F is the federation flagship..... other sister-ships in the Odyssey class are not.

I agree. and a Flagship is often chosen because of it's presence. an Arleigh Burke Destroyer is far more modern and newer than the USS Nimitz, but which one is more impressive?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    As I said before, flag ship is currently the HMS Bulwark, however the largest Royal Navy ship is the Ocean Class, HMS Ocean.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    All T5 ships should be able to upgrade to T6 .

As it stands , T6 lockbox ships will make T5-U owners cry .

Question: do all T5 ships need intelligence abilities?

No? Then why the hell isn't T5-U acceptable? You don't get that extra boff seat (which is the only clear advantage of T6 ATM, the trait could easily factor back into intel mechanics) but you're also not splitting boff powers between core abilities (like heals and damage buffs) and these new ones.

I think the same can be said for the current flagships. If cryptic can find a use for an intel dreadnaught cruiser then by all means do the T6 Oddy/Bort/Scim retrofit but if the interest is simply in having the bigger tier number for the simple sake of it then they should leave it alone (as that is an interest not worth catering to.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I thought the flag ship was 1 particular vessel..... Not the entire class of ship.. Like the Enterprise is the Federation flag ship, not every oddy.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I thought the flag ship was 1 particular vessel..... Not the entire class of ship.. Like the Enterprise is the Federation flag ship, not every oddy.

Its just a handy way of referring to a set of 3 classes. If there was only the Enterprise then you can bet that "Oddy" would be the common convention (like Galaxy and Sovereign were). However because you also have to refer to two other ship types that don't share a common faction or an exclusive ship type designation (Dreadnaught also includes the Galaxy-X and a Jem'Hadar ship) "flagship" is a convenient way of pairing it down to the Oddy, Scim, and Bort with a minimum of ambiguity.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That's the point, its only been ONE year in game and yet the most advanced starships are no longer top of the line.

in 2371 Voyager launched...it was the most advanced ship in the fleet
    in 2373 Prometheus launched...it was the most advanced ship in the fleet
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I agree. and a Flagship is often chosen because of it's presence. an Arleigh Burke Destroyer is far more modern and newer than the USS Nimitz, but which one is more impressive?

when I was in the navy I served aboard USS Constellation, an aircraft carrier...we were the flagship of our battle group...even though almost every other ship in the battle group was newer and more advanced
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    completely incorrect. Your Character is a flag officer, ergo the ship she is embarked on is a flagship.

That's nice and dandy, but I am talking about the flagship class Odyssey and their ROM, and KDF counterparts . And the only flag ship for the Oddy is the Enterprise which already has OP Plot armor so it's already ahead of the T6 ships and T5Us:D
    GwaoHAD.png