What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Potential SPOILERS for STO] Star Trek Picard SDCC

2»

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    people keep bringing up vulcans and romulans in reference to the ones seen with pointed ears int he trailer...but you're forgetting that there was a THIRD species with knife-ears seen in TNG - mintakans​​

It is possible, but I do not think that is what they are. The Mintakans were pre-warp when last seen iirc, and they have even heavier forehead ridges than most of the Romulans shown in TNG.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > shadowfang240 wrote: »
    >
    > people keep bringing up vulcans and romulans in reference to the ones seen with pointed ears int he trailer...but you're forgetting that there was a THIRD species with knife-ears seen in TNG - mintakans​​
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It is possible, but I do not think that is what they are. The Mintakans were pre-warp when last seen iirc, and they have even heavier forehead ridges than most of the Romulans shown in TNG.

Yeah no way it was Mintakans, you don't go from bow and arrows to warp drive that fast, even with Picard as inspiration.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/GLFbGrAVj-A

Midnight's Edge actually mostly liked the Picard Trailer, instinctively dislike anything connected to Star Trek except Mount Anson, and seem to have mixed reactions to Lower Decks.

Plus they talk about extra stuff like female Thor in the next movie (that deserves its own Marvel Phase Feminist, er I mean phase 4 thread).
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Or they could read the comics. Jane Foster took up the mantle of Thor when the Odinson began asking himself awkward questions, causing the hammer to decide he was no longer worthy to wield the power of Thor. (I won't go into why this was guaranteed to be limited, because that's a spoiler for anyone who wants to catch up on the run of the comic.)

Then again, I'm not interested in anything Midnight's Edge has to say on any topic at all - at this point, I wouldn't trust them if they told me Earth's atmosphere was a nitrogen/oxygen mix.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised by the trailer and I may give the new series a viewing. Is it just me or did the effects team reduce the cranial ridges on Romulans? Almost to the point where they more strongly resemble the Vulcans than they did in TNG and beyond. I like that personally as I always found the ridges a bit off-putting when I first saw them in "The Neutral Zone" and subsequent episodes. I, for one, am happy that are less pronounced but still slightly present. Heck! Will have to wait and see. The ones talking could be Vulcans for all I know. :p

The ridges were originally supposed to be retcon of vulcanoids in general (all the Vulcans in the background in early TNG had them for instance) as part of the weird forhead fetish TNG seems to have had but they proved to be unpopular with the audience so they downplayed them into only some vulcanoids have them.

Back when FASA was part of the loop Paramount told them the reason had to do with adaptations for resisting iron poisoning and higher humidity on other worlds (like Remus in FASA's take on the Romulan "twin worlds" concept) which is why TNG dropped most of the ridges from Vulcans but kept them on most Romulans. With the IP handoff the split caused that is probably moot now though.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the insight, Phoenix. :)
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Closet we got was the DiscoMirrorverse's Defiant, which had STO elements to it.

No it didn't. STOs Terrans have identical ships to the Prime ones but with red or yellow patterns on them. The Defiant was just a modified Conni.
    Some people thought the Defiant looked the way it did because of tinkering by the DiscoMirrorverse's Terran Empire,

And the'd be correct. That's literally what it is.
    but it's more like testing the water of how far Star Trek: Discovery could get away with moving away from the canon appearance of the Constitution-Class starship without hitting backlash.
    [/quote]

Nope. CBS do not need to 'test' anything they do. IT's their IP, they can make whatever they want. And no, the DSC Conni is the canonical appearance of the Conni in that time period, just as the TOS one is for the tOS time period, or the TMP one is for that time period.
    Also, they wouldn't bother with modifying the Defiant to test for the Enterprise because they're completely different. Honestly, this is one of the more stupid conspiracy theories I've heard for DSC, but it's at least a new one (to me anyway) so well done for that.
    She also seemed much more relaxed in her mannerisms and speech when talking with Picard. I like that it will be inferred that she's grown and adapted more since we last saw her in VOY.

Implied. The show implies, you infer. Unless you're saying that people in general will infer that, which is a strange thing to like.
    jonsills wrote: »
    Or they could read the comics.

No they couldn't. That is physically impossible for ME. Research or sources that are not their own arseholes don't exist.
    jonsills wrote: »
    Then again, I'm not interested in anything Midnight's Edge has to say on any topic at all - at this point, I wouldn't trust them if they told me Earth's atmosphere was a nitrogen/oxygen mix.

They wouldn't say that though as there's no audience for it. They exist to feed conspiracy nuts that exist in fandoms. They'd probably say that the Earth's atmosphere contains 50% oxygen but 30% of that is disguised as nitrogen due to rights issues with Facebook and that Disney snuck in 1% argon to retain the rights to breathable air. Then invent some 'legal' sources and reap the ad money.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Would you like a thank you as well, @artan42?
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac

Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
  • Options
    Anyone else shocked by how amazing Jeri Ryan looked? She looks as good as she did in STO. It's almost like she really does have borg nano probes keeping her immortal ;p
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

I don't need one but feel free.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Anyone else shocked by how amazing Jeri Ryan looked? She looks as good as she did in STO. It's almost like she really does have borg nano probes keeping her immortal ;p
    I already made that joke once :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited July 2019

I once offered my nanoprobe to her. She turned me down, and said it was too small.

On a side note; do I remember correctly that Seven once said to Harry Kim "You wish to copulate?" and he replied "What?! NO!"

Damn, that Harry Kim got some unrealistic storylines.
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »

I don't need one but feel free.​​

Thank you.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    equinox976 wrote: »
    I once offered my nanoprobe to her. She turned me down, and said it was too small.

On a side note; do I remember correctly that Seven once said to Harry Kim "You wish to copulate?" and he replied "What?! NO!"

Damn, that Harry Kim got some unrealistic storylines.
    One story had Harry trying to romance Seven. Seven was like ""take off your clothes" Harry: "what" Seven: "you asked me to come here so that you could seduce me didn't you?" Then Harry chickens out.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    [
    One story had Harry trying to romance Seven. Seven was like ""take off your clothes" Harry: "what" Seven: "you asked me to come here so that you could seduce me didn't you?" Then Harry chickens out.

Found it! (at 1 minute 50 seconds, and then 2 minutes 15 seconds) What a wet sap he was!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5msgN4QEnA[/video]