test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please Help a noob player

Comments

• Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    the officer you bought.. I don't think he isa bridge officer, I think he is a duty officer.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    generic5 wrote: »

So I have my all Purple Bridge Officers now. Some of them have a few of the Skills suggested. If I Train them in a previously-suggested Skill that they don't have, how do I change the Skill to the one that they just learned? Do I need to go Sector Space to make the change? I tried changing it in the ESD, and I tried it on my ship outside the ESD but no luck.

You can change anywhere even in the ESD. Go to the station tab.
    Status_Window_Stations.png?version=cb98e13eb2d5cd21450d7a910e1e362e

Click on the icon (fire at will 1) above elisa flores. You have to select each icon to change the abilities. Picture from wiki too lazy to load a new picture.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    OP, saw this thread earlier and I have been following it. Lots of very-smart-about-STO people have posted great advice. So there is no need for me to repeat what has already been posted. I do have some advice though.
    Don't forget to have fun while playing STO.
    "Well, jeez, TF! That's okay to write and all but just how does somebody know they're having fun while playing STO?"

- You really enjoyed the STO session you just finished and you can't wait until next time to play STO again.
    - You finally got enough Dil or Zen together to buy That Ship You Always Wanted and it performs exactly like you hoped it would.
    - You just finished a STF, excuse me...TFO, where you did not feel like everyone else had to tote you along as a handicap.
    - You met some good people while ingame and you joined the Fleet they're in so you can hang out ingame together more often.
    - You tried something different with a ship build and it worked out the way you expected.
    - You tried something different with a ship build and it did not work. But the results are hilariously funny to use and watch.
    - Your Fleeties are...almost...bigger Trek Nerds than you are and all of you enjoy the friendly rivalry.
    - You get to play STO with people you never expected to or you have very little in common with and you find you really have fun having something in common with them.
    - You have a bad day and logging in to STO immediately removes the negative energy.
    - Ad Infinitum

There are lots of things about STO which are not optimal. But in the end it is a game. From the thirty thousand foot view they are actually minor. STO should not ever be allowed to become a lifestyle choice. So remember to stay calm and keep having fun while playing STO. Because having fun means you are...drumroll...Winning The Game!

That's my two bars of latinum on this topic, OP. I will now return you to the people who are smarter than I am about STO.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Don't forget to have fun while playing STO.

Rarely do I find people who enjoy getting blowed up constantly. So he is trying to increase his fun. ;)
    (Ugh, made a funny picture for it, but imgur ain't workin. I'll have to try it again tomorrow.)

Ok...
    XbLVGOU.jpg
    Post edited by dracounguis on
  • Options
    generic5generic5 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    I just ran a mission called 'Secrets'. In Space Combat, none of my weapons would autofire. I had a Klingon ship locked on, and it was well within the 10 km range, but nothing would fire. I moved the cursor over the icon, and every weapon said, 'Autofiring!'. What did I do wrong now?

On the Away Team part of the mission, I died for the first time. Which Ground Skills make up an effective Strike Force . . . err . . . I mean, Away Team?

A weird thing happened at the end when I collected my rewards for completing the mission. I bypassed Level 27 altogether! I must have been 5 XP short of Level 27, because when I collected, I jumped to Level 28. Very strange!
    ~~~~~

"We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled." - Rorschach

~~~~~
  • Options
    Rarely do I find people who enjoy getting blowed up constantly. So he is trying to increase his fun. ;)
    (Ugh, made a funny picture for it, but imgur ain't workin. I'll have to try it again tomorrow.)

Ok...
    XbLVGOU.jpg

Did we really need to go here? Are people truly so literal minded around this place now?

The thread title is "Help for a n00b player. Which was my intent.
    And you decided to score points off me playing to the back row of the InterWebz.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Might i make a suggestion for you @generic5 , Find a fleet to join that is willing to help you get started properly with the game and will have some players to take you under their wing.
    Any respectable fleet will have veteran players who will be willing to spend time with newbies like yourself and help you get better and AND enjoy the game.

My own fleet UFP would be more than willing to help you find a place in STO and we have many players who are happy to run low level missions and discuss learning the game with new people.
    Shameless plug: https://ufplanets.com/invites.php
    Look us up and we'll try to help you enjoy the game, and get you pointing in the right direction.

The game does look confusing to new people, don;t feel ashamed by that. There is a tonne of different systems to learn but there's no need to rush. The calmer journey through the lower levels is a great time to enjoy the mechanics before things get crazier at end game.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    samborski#4611 samborski Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I just ran a mission called 'Secrets'. In Space Combat, none of my weapons would autofire. I had a Klingon ship locked on, and it was well within the 10 km range, but nothing would fire. I moved the cursor over the icon, and every weapon said, 'Autofiring!'. What did I do wrong now?

On the Away Team part of the mission, I died for the first time. Which Ground Skills make up an effective Strike Force . . . err . . . I mean, Away Team?

A weird thing happened at the end when I collected my rewards for completing the mission. I bypassed Level 27 altogether! I must have been 5 XP short of Level 27, because when I collected, I jumped to Level 28. Very strange!

Just click on the weapon, that should do the trick.
  • Options
    I just ran a mission called 'Secrets'. In Space Combat, none of my weapons would autofire. I had a Klingon ship locked on, and it was well within the 10 km range, but nothing would fire.

Sometimes it takes you to hit the spacebar once to get the autofire to start up.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Did we really need to go here? Are people truly so literal minded around this place now?

The thread title is "Help for a n00b player. Which was my intent.
    And you decided to score points off me playing to the back row of the InterWebz.
    1. I just found the text you emphasized to be humorous when related to his initial complaint about constantly exploding. No ill intent was intended. My brain makes weird connections w/o my express permission and I run w/ it! :dizzy: And yes, I am very literal minded.
    2. Your advice was very holistic in scope vs the more nuts and bolts advice most gave.
    3. I didn't know we scored points on the forums. Where can I check my total and can I buy anything w/ them? ;)
    4. You said to have fun. Making that picture was fun. Do you not want me to have fun?
    5. Please disregard any posts I make after midnight. My brain is really strange when it's sleep deprived. :sleeping:
  • Options
    Suppose I were to get a boatload of ECs. Would I want all of my Bridge Officers to be Saurians with the Efficient Trait or would that be overkill?
    ~~~~~

"We do not do this thing because it is permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we are compelled." - Rorschach

~~~~~
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Suppose I were to get a boatload of ECs. Would I want all of my Bridge Officers to be Saurians with the Efficient Trait or would that be overkill?
    Efficient just isn't worth it when you do the math (for power levels). Two tac SRO's from fleet embassy and potato. Tier 4 diplomacy also.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    protoneous wrote: »
    Efficient just isn't worth it when you do the math (for power levels). Two tac SRO's from fleet embassy and potato. Tier 4 diplomacy also.

Exactly, don't waste your EC.

The best Tactical Officers are Romulans with the trait Superior Romulan Operative. Federation Officers can get Tactical Romulan Bridge Officers from their Fleet. They are located in the Fleet Embassy on the top floor. The bonuses of these officers stack, so use them for all your tactical officer slots. Federation Officers can only have Tactical Romulans, they are not available in Science or Engineering variants.

For Engineering, the best Officers are Kentari Bridge Officers that you get from your Fleet Colony. Kentari are desirable because of the trait Kentari Ferocity. This trait does not stack, so there is no advantage to getting more then 1 of these.

If you have another Engineering station to fill, that's best filled by an Officer gained through Diplomacy. Once you reach rank 4 in Diplomacy from doing Duty Officer Missions, you can talk to Jiro on Earth Space Dock and select an officer from the KDF Faction to join your crew. I recommend the Nausicaan Engineer with the Pirate trait. That gives you 2 really good Engineering Officers.

For Science, I recommend 'The Potato' as people call him. He's actually called Hiearchy Science Officer. He is also a Pirate and is available as a mission reward from the Delta Arc mission 'Alliances.'

None of these officers cost any EC.. so wasting millions of EC on inferior officers from the exchange would be a mistake. You can get all these for Fleet Credits and a little Dilithium. Much better use of your resources. :wink:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

If you had money to blow... the Vanguard Jem'hadar and some Superior Romulan Operatives.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    westmetals wrote: »
    I will debate seaofsorrows' analysis in two ways:

- If they are available, Jem'Hadar Vanguard have tested out as being superior to any other option EXCEPT SRO Romulans. For non-Romulan captains, they are the best option for science and engineering. (not mentioned at all in seaofsorrows' analysis, and admittedly expensive)
    - The usefulness of Kentari Ferocity is highly situational due to the method of triggering its bonus. I have seen several cases where Pirate tests out as being superior to it, particularly in environments with small numbers of large enemies.

I intentionally left off the Jem Hadar Bridge Officers because they're $130 USD. I can't advise anyone to spend that much on a pack just to get the Jem Pirate trait, but sure.. if they're going to buy the pack anyway then yeah... use those.

To clarify, Ferocity is only inferior to Pirate when facing a single large foe due it's bonus being applied on a kill. Since the majority of combat in STO has you facing many smaller opponents Ferocity is still accepted as the better of the two options and why I listed it first. Ferocity gives you a 2% Cat 2 per stack upon kill and can stack up to 5 times. A Pirate is just a flat 1.5% Cat 2.

Overall, most of the time, you'll want more then one Engineering Officer, especially with Aux2Bat being the current Meta. It's only currently possible for Fed to get one Pirate Engineering Boff from Diplomacy so in most cases it's advisable to get both. I listed the Kentari as option number one because I believe it to be the superior choice in the vast majority of cases.

Still, your point is conceded and certainly valid.. when facing a single large enemy then Pirate is better. In that particular situation, the Kentari buff basically provides nothing. The Diplomacy Pirate is also considerably cheaper then a Kentari so perhaps it's best to get that one first.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    So I've been thinking that I should start over with a new character (joining a Fleet as soon as possible thus availing myself of low level help). I skipped so many levels just doing DOff missions, not promoting my Bridge Officers, and not equipping my ship properly for combat that I feel that I've missed a lot of what this game has to offer.

Questions:

1. Which is the easiest to play? Tactical, Science or Engineering?
    2. Does it matter what era I set my character in? TOS or TNG?
    3. I have 1.6 Million ECs. Is there any way to transfer them to my new character?

I'm sure that other questions will pop up but this is a good start.

Merry Christmas, everybody! :D
    ~~~~~

~~~~~
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    @generic5

1) It's a matter of inclination so no one but you can answer that.
    2) All characters that start in another era - TOS and DSC - will be transported to the future and the "normal" game line after a few missions, so no. All it gives you is a different UI scheme and some different sound effects. Again it's a matter of taste.
    3) You need an account bank for that. Given that subscriptions have been dropped and Elite Starter pack also is a thing of the past I think you have to buy it as a single item from the C-store.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Tac is the best at dps, but all are viable.

Nope. Only really matters as far as your user interface and it's sound effects.
    (Unless you just gotta be a TOS looking Tellarite or Andoran, then it matters.) ;)

3. I have 1.6 Million ECs. Is there any way to transfer them to my new character?

You can try selling a hypospray for 1.6M EC and buying it with the other toon? Unless Cryptic put a block on that it should work. But don't know, never needed to try it that way.

Or give that 1.6M to a trusted friend and have them give it to your other new toon.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    So I've been thinking that I should start over with a new character (joining a Fleet as soon as possible thus availing myself of low level help). I skipped so many levels just doing DOff missions, not promoting my Bridge Officers, and not equipping my ship properly for combat that I feel that I've missed a lot of what this game has to offer.

Questions:

I'm sure that other questions will pop up but this is a good start.

Merry Christmas, everybody! :D

In case no one has pointed you here. It might help, but then again you want to play not read.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Main_Page

The Answer to 1) as always, depends on your style and preference of play. My fav Captains are all Engineers. If you like Toys, ENGs are good for that.

The Answer to 2) - IMHO - Begin with a Captain from the 25th century Federation faction first and try to level him/her all of the way before trying any other faction to avoid confusion.

The Answer to 3) If you have two "Captains" and both have completed the tutorial and the one with all the EC can go to ESD ( Earth Space Dock ), find the computer that works as a Bank, use the Deposit All function, then switch to your 2nd "Captain" in the same way, at a Bank computer, only with the 2nd "Captain" use the Withdrawal All function to take the money for that 2nd "Captain." Captain One will now be a pauper, and Captain Two will think he's Daffy Duck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZzpw0ndQEk
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Not sure if this will help, but...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nqeDULua6A
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I just ran a mission called 'Secrets'. In Space Combat, none of my weapons would autofire. I had a Klingon ship locked on, and it was well within the 10 km range, but nothing would fire.

Sometimes it takes you to hit the spacebar once to get the autofire to start up.

This. Sometimes I have to hit spacebar once when I get a ship targeted, then autofire takes over.

Also, I run balanced energy and blow things up just fine for the one who says you need your weapons power all the way up.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »

This. Sometimes I have to hit spacebar once when I get a ship targeted, then autofire takes over.

Also, I run balanced energy and blow things up just fine for the one who says you need your weapons power all the way up.
    I'm not that one.

It's amazing though how much more damage energy weapons do at higher power levels... you can check a weapon's tool tip while changing your power level from balanced to attack, or even from attack and then adding EPtW. It's a pretty big difference. The more energy weapons you have the more power they need (as well as enough EPS flow to refill the bucket faster). There's usually a fair amount of power to go around with all the shiny (but not fancy) gear available so as to keep all your bases covered.

"Playing turtle" can be a false god or, in other words, sometime the best defense is a good offense. Everybody finds a balance that works for them :smile:
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Honestly, unless you're min-maxing you don't need to worry about what race your Boffs are. Humans actually have a useful power... well it's useful for making tanks. Doesn't do anything to help your DPS.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Honestly, unless you're min-maxing you don't need to worry about what race your Boffs are. Humans actually have a useful power... well it's useful for making tanks. Doesn't do anything to help your DPS.
    Honestly thought I did the math for both efficient and leadership a while back as I'd forgotten the net effect, and neither of them added up to much. I do like the +20 subsystem offline though (stacking) though and use humans as fill ins for many toons. Would agree that fancy boffs are usually last on the list for a toon. Are you finding that a full human crew increases tank?

Did they change things again? Wiki says "20% faster subsystem and hull repair" but think the HR repair part gets blitzed down to 20% of it's value while in combat, which is applied to the ship's base rate. Is a full human bridge crew really like 3 points in damage control? Scratching head.
  • Options
    1. I just found the text you emphasized to be humorous when related to his initial complaint about constantly exploding. No ill intent was intended. My brain makes weird connections w/o my express permission and I run w/ it! :dizzy: And yes, I am very literal minded.
    2. Your advice was very holistic in scope vs the more nuts and bolts advice most gave.
    3. I didn't know we scored points on the forums. Where can I check my total and can I buy anything w/ them? ;)
    4. You said to have fun. Making that picture was fun. Do you not want me to have fun?
    5. Please disregard any posts I make after midnight. My brain is really strange when it's sleep deprived. :sleeping:

So "Holistic" advice is not as valuable or important? Thanks. Got it. I remember now why I lurk here instead of posting.

My advice is intended to remind the new player this is a game. Not a lifestyle choice.
  • Options
    I have my new character (almost said toon) ready to go and he is standing in the Tutorial. I have done nothing else so far.

1. Is there anything that I should do immediately before beginning the Tutorial?
    2. As I recall from my previous character, there's a spot where I lead a toast to the graduating class where I have the choice of being humble, or being inspirational or a couple of other choices. Does it really matter which I choose?
    3. The same question holds true for when you're talking to the doomed captain when you first board your ship.
    4. At some point in the Tutorial, there's a mission where you're supposed to target the incoming torpedoes and destroy them before they hit you. Is there a secret on how to do that? I tried hitting the 'Tab' key to target them, but it didn't work.
    ~~~~~

~~~~~
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    1) Not that I can think of.
    2) Nope, the whole thing is 100% roleplay.
    3) Again no. Not even an accolade.
    4) Which tutorial is that? If it's standard Fed it's been longer than I thought since I played it, because I do not recall that part. Anyway, I suggest using the mouse to target. I hardly ever use tab, too unreliable and an exercise in frustration or so I find. I tend to get everything but the thing I want to aim at with tab, so I much prefer using the mouse.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    ilithyn wrote: »
    4) Which tutorial is that?

It is the Standard Federation Tutorial.

~~~~~

~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.