test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The woes of Star Trek 4 (or 14 if you prefer) and the Kelvinverse's future.

Comments

• Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Grandstanding over contract negotiations happens in Hollywood dozens of times daily and it had previously been reported that both Pine and Quinto had already signed up for at least one additional outing following ST Beyond. Whether or not Chris Hemsworth is part of the deal or not, I feel like it is too early to speculate over a recasting of Kirk or any departure of Chris Pine.

Even the reporting over this matter is part of the "negotiation" process as Pine's legal shills understand that fan outrage might tip the scales with the studio over pay issues. He is most likely to repeat as James T.

Hemsworth is another matter entirely?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Apparently the problem isn't so much Paramount trying to renegotiate salaries downward, as Pine and Hemsworth trying to renegotiate upward now that they have some pretty big hits under their belts. Unfortunately, the room for what they want just isn't in the budget, so...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Just digitally de-age Shatner and bring him back for Kirk.

I wonder how pure ham would feel in the nu setting?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    From what I've heard Paramount isn't doing so hot financially, and can't really afford to keep making high budget movies right now.
    That's what happens when you keep cranking out turds like "Baywatch".
    Big media goes through periods of 'creative dry spell' where they crank out tons of garbage. Disney did this in the 1970s and early 1980s, and had to go right to the edge of bankruptcy before they got their mojo back with the arrival of a guy named (if I recall) "Eisner" in the mid-eighties, at which point, they took a serious look at what they were doing, and started making good movies again.

Every major studio goes through this. some don't recover (United Artists). Some do.
    I long ago came to the conclusion that what you call a "creative dry spell" is the rule rather than the exception.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > Apparently the problem isn't so much Paramount trying to renegotiate salaries downward, as Pine and Hemsworth trying to renegotiate upward now that they have some pretty big hits under their belts. Unfortunately, the room for what they want just isn't in the budget, so...

What I read about it sounded like they had negotiated a salary back in 2017, but the new CEO of Paramount wants to lower it now. So Paramount breaks the deal they had.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    Given what I have heard about the situation and the current situation of Paramount. I think the Kelvin timeline is done. This is not a debate, as studios do not earn the entire gross of a film. Domestically they keep at most 60% of the earnings, foreign markets its more along the lines of 35-48% of the gross. Then there is the rule of thumb that marketing costs are about 50% of the production cost. The Kelvin Timeline films were either just barely profitable or like Beyond and not make its money back. There is also toys and tie in products for the films, if you know anything about Star Trek... If it isn't Prime Timeline it is not going to sell. I do not see them being able to get this 4th movie off the ground and I am amazed they are not trying to influence... oh wait. They might already be trying to influence the TV shows. Though that is a topic for another day with no bearing here. So in short... Stick a fork in it, Kelvin Timeline is done.

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @patrickngo said:
    > point of order? you can't sell toys if you don't sell toys. I've never seen licensed merch (besides tee shirts) for any of the KT materials. No model spaceships, no action figures, no playsets (and some of the last movie could easily have been basis for a playset aimed at the 8 and up crowd.)
    >
    > if you don't market toys, you don't sell toys. likewise with collectibles.

Yeah, that was apparently a casualty of Abrams's ego — what I heard was he got into a fight with CBS, wanted them to stop selling merch for the pre-2009 series and films. CBS went "lolwut?" and also pulled the plug on any possible tie-in KT TV series.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Yeah the merchandising for stuff like this is always odd. They want to drum up sales for it, yet I have rarely seen anything Star Trek related in stores aside from maybe calendars. I've always found it odd when studios whine about merchandise sales when they failed to even get the products into stores in the first place.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I have several action figures from 09. Pike, Nero, and Scotty and a couple of others.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    point of order? you can't sell toys if you don't sell toys. I've never seen licensed merch (besides tee shirts) for any of the KT materials. No model spaceships, no action figures, no playsets (and some of the last movie could easily have been basis for a playset aimed at the 8 and up crowd.)

There were all kinds of Star Trek toys made to go with the KT movies.

30 seconds searching on Amazon found this and this and this and this and this and this and this.

I'm sure there is a whole lot more out there.
    KRE-O? I haven't seen a KRE-O set in stores in... wow, it's been that long?

Should have tried for a license deal with Lego. They might have even gotten a world in Lego Dimensions, and sold the game-specific sets there.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Well... when Toys R Us was still around I saw some there.

BEGONE EDIT MONSTER!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    I would have loved to get my hands on a Kelvin Timeline Phaser Pistol.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Yeah, that was apparently a casualty of Abrams's ego — what I heard was he got into a fight with CBS, wanted them to stop selling merch for the pre-2009 series and films. CBS went "lolwut?" and also pulled the plug on any possible tie-in KT TV series.
    Paramount has to go through CBS for merchandising. From what I was able to find, the first movie was a headache for both Paramount and CBS as they had to agree on what was a "fair" division of profits... for every license CBS wanted to issue. This caused a delay which some detractors have interpreted to be a "lack of faith in the Bad Robot Trek" by license holders. It was not until after the latest Trek Encyclopedia was published that the Bad Robot movies were officially called the "Kelvin Timeline" and a few months later, STO got Kelvin Timeline content. So, if you don't have most of your merchandising deals worked out until your THIRD MOVIE, you probably won't have a lot of stuff on store shelves in time for your first movie.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I have several action figures from 09. Pike, Nero, and Scotty and a couple of others.

Yet they sold so poorly, that not only did they cancel wave 2, they cancelled the remaining wave 1 stuff that was yet to come out. That whole collect and build, where you had get all of them, including variants of characters one already got, I could see it tanking. Dr. Who Classics, at the same time, did it the right way. Wave 1 had the giant robot to assemble and each figure in the wave were different. Same with the later classic Cybermen wave, which offered the Controller from Tomb of the Cybermen. If one has to get several Kirks or Checkov's, like the standard ones and the cadet ones, I can see why folks would not wanna do that.

Plus, Playmates were not known for making figures that looked like the characters.....more of a caricature. Kirk did not look like Chris Pine, he looks more like Tony Dow from Leave it to Beaver. Someone else should have been given the chances to make them, instead.

And I recall seeing the '09 figures collecting dust in clearance endcap of the toy isles 5 years later. And I still giggle thinking, "those scalpers really got bitten in the TRIBBLE this time!" XD
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    starswordc wrote: »
    Paramount has to go through CBS for merchandising. From what I was able to find, the first movie was a headache for both Paramount and CBS as they had to agree on what was a "fair" division of profits... for every license CBS wanted to issue. This caused a delay which some detractors have interpreted to be a "lack of faith in the Bad Robot Trek" by license holders. It was not until after the latest Trek Encyclopedia was published that the Bad Robot movies were officially called the "Kelvin Timeline" and a few months later, STO got Kelvin Timeline content. So, if you don't have most of your merchandising deals worked out until your THIRD MOVIE, you probably won't have a lot of stuff on store shelves in time for your first movie.

Anyone else but me thinks this whole 'tug of war' with CBS and Paramount over the last decade has been....well, infantile?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

I'm petty sure i remember seeing them on shelves back in '09, I could be mistaken though.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

I'm petty sure i remember seeing them on shelves back in '09, I could be mistaken though.

You're not wrong. I think I've still got one somewhere.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Just heard ST4 movie is dead with Pine and Helmsworth walking away.
  • Options
    Its up in the air honestly. The main issue is apparently how much they'd pay them. In this case... less than the previous movies for Pine, and Hemsworth probably makes more playing Thor.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It's the 14th film not the 4th.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!