Install Arc
Options

[THE ORViLLE] | Season Two |

Comments

• Options
    lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    patrickngo wrote: »

Thus far, his people act like...people, and it's the first time I've seen a trek-alike show where someone bothered to have a bathroom on the ship.

Star Trek 5 had a toilet in the brig with the bold warning label "DO NOT USE WHILE IN SPACEDOCK" Now THAT was funny.

Post edited by lazarx on
    lazarx_2855.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    He's busy poking holes in Star Wars now, so what do I care? He can't get at my canon Trek collection. ;)
    Crash mate, he's already through your window and up to his waist in your DVD cabinet with a lighter and a canister of petrol.
    Petrol? What a silly notion. Use Sterno! It's much better for demolition work. Just get a popsicle stick and smear it on like peanut butter! No puddles on the floor... or annoying slashes....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    use chlorine trifluoride, for when you want to utterly erase anything from existence - up to and including concrete​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I can get all that stuff (I work in a lab) Abrams probably can't, but he probably does have a car. Although if he has a diesel or electric car he's going to have problems. Still, I believe most cars in Australia are petrol so he should be fine...

Sorry Crashy.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    I can get all that stuff (I work in a lab) Abrams probably can't, but he probably does have a car. Although if he has a diesel or electric car he's going to have problems. Still, I believe most cars in Australia are petrol so he should be fine...

Sorry Crashy.​​
    Sterno is EASY! It's actually a jellied form of alcohol. It's commonly used as a fuel for portable stoves since it's easy to light, and burns at about the right temperature for easy cooking.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I finally get to see the Orville.

Rather light hearted approach to the a tv series, i saw a lot of humor elements, none of which i found particularly amusing as it is rather low brow for my tastes, although i understand what the writers are trying to portray in those moments.

The captain is a washed up has been, or at least that is what others in the service see him as he is given a final chance to prove himself. His First officer is someone desperately seeking her former husbands attention and love once again, she also happens to be in the service. A lot of tension between them over an incident in their past.

LaMarr and Malloy are the odd ball members of the team, rather crude in a lot of respects but they know they jobs. Finn is the medical officer and rather underestimated in a lot of ways, she seems to fly below a lot of radars.

The three aliens; Bortus is the humorless statue on the team while Isaac is the superfunky robot from way out there, finally Kitan the young attractive security officer with a general lack of experience, not just on the job but in herself.

A interesting but odd bunch, it almost has a superhero childlike appearance to it in appearance and atmosphere.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    I finally get to see the Orville.

Rather light hearted approach to the a tv series, i saw a lot of humor elements, none of which i found particularly amusing as it is rather low brow for my tastes, although i understand what the writers are trying to portray in those moments.

The captain is a washed up has been, or at least that is what others in the service see him as he is given a final chance to prove himself. His First officer is someone desperately seeking her former husbands attention and love once again, she also happens to be in the service. A lot of tension between them over an incident in their past.

LaMarr and Malloy are the odd ball members of the team, rather crude in a lot of respects but they know they jobs. Finn is the medical officer and rather underestimated in a lot of ways, she seems to fly below a lot of radars.

The three aliens; Bortus is the humorless statue on the team while Isaac is the superfunky robot from way out there, finally Kitan the young attractive security officer with a general lack of experience, not just on the job but in herself.

A interesting but odd bunch, it almost has a superhero childlike appearance to it in appearance and atmosphere.
    Conceptually that reminds me some of where I went with my Grunt stories - nobody really expects much from the captain, and the rest of the bridge crew is assembled from the rejects of other ships, yet somehow they manage to cohere into a highly effective force.

I find much of the helmsman's humor forced, and am hoping that gets tuned down as time goes on, but I can see this becoming a very enjoyable ensemble show.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    this project gave us a good example. if all it takes is, make some design differences to avoid copyright issues. and we get good trek like this project. i don't mind what it's called.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Decided to give Orville a shot, literally just started watching it and the first thing that really jumped out at me is going to seem incredibly random; when the main character closes the apartment door in his wife's face the door closes with a sound effect that was used in Resident Evil 2, most easily heard in the cutscene of William Birkin getting shot in his lab. When he first enters the apartment a completely different sound is heard.

Obviously this isn't important as far as the show is concerned, but I found it hilarious that I played RE2 so many times that I was instantly able to recognize that sound effect, and that incredibly small connection to my childhood has actually sparked some minor interest in a show I was previously indifferent towards (the power of nostalgia I guess).

TL;DR I probably need professional help
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Finished the first 4 episodes, I'm surprised how good the show is. The humor is everywhere, but doesn't get into the type of gross out stuff I feared it would, sticking mostly with things that honestly my coworkers would say. It's kind of like TNG but with crew members who are blue collar workers rather than Starfleet Academy graduates. My only real annoyance with the humor is the constant references to the XOs infidelity, it was funny the first couple times but now I feel like that gag is getting old and overused.

I also don't quite understand the single gender race, it just doesn't make sense to me. I just can't imagine how that would work, genderless would make sense, as could more than two genders, but this just baffles me.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Finished the first 4 episodes, I'm surprised how good the show is. The humor is everywhere, but doesn't get into the type of gross out stuff I feared it would, sticking mostly with things that honestly my coworkers would say. It's kind of like TNG but with crew members who are blue collar workers rather than Starfleet Academy graduates. My only real annoyance with the humor is the constant references to the XOs infidelity, it was funny the first couple times but now I feel like that gag is getting old and overused.

I also don't quite understand the single gender race, it just doesn't make sense to me. I just can't imagine how that would work, genderless would make sense, as could more than two genders, but this just baffles me.

I think technically they'd actually be oviparous hermaphrodites (i.e. egg-layers with internal fertilization and both sets of primary sexual characteristics), but that they still have male and female secondary and tertiary sexual characteristics on top of that is rather absurd.

Maybe it's not really male and female at all, just a translation problem.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

Watch Dragon Ball Z, The Nameks are like this, an entire race of masculine beings.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    reemus#2383 reemus Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Totally diggin' The Orville. Just watched Episode 4 and many familiar faces there. At this point, The Orville is 4 of 4 on episodes that give a better "Trek" feel than Discovery, and with a good line of humor that gets a good laugh without smothering the whole theme. I guess you could say that Discovery is headed in a direction that is more "modern" to TV series....more drama... The Orville seems to have kept the tradition of Star Trek alive with the traditional format...only we now have new races and new spaces...

The Orville is already a show I look forward to seeing the next episode after watching the latest one... Discovery so far has not given me that feeling.... Especially since The Orville hasn't really shown clips for the next episode....Discovery has and I was like "I hope they fix where they are going in that one".
  • Options

Watch Dragon Ball Z, The Nameks are like this, an entire race of masculine beings.

Do we ever see a feminine Namekian?* That's the issue. There's technically genderless humanoids with a single Earth-recognizable set of secondary and tertiary sexual characteristics all over speculative fiction (usually "all-female": the J'naii in TNG: "The Outcast", the asari in Mass Effect), but what they did with the Moclans, having both phenotypes in a single monosexual species, is something I've seriously never heard of before.

* Serious question, I never paid that much attention to DBZ.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    starswordc wrote: »
    Do we ever see a feminine Namekian?* That's the issue. There's technically genderless humanoids with a single Earth-recognizable set of secondary and tertiary sexual characteristics all over speculative fiction (usually "all-female": the J'naii in TNG: "The Outcast", the asari in Mass Effect), but what they did with the Moclans, having both phenotypes in a single monosexual species, is something I've seriously never heard of before.

* Serious question, I never paid that much attention to DBZ.
    There are some Nameks who are relatively slender, but none that look feminine. Piccolo and most other Nameks look distinctly masculine.
    GokuPiccoloVsRaditzNV.png
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    For a single gender species does the presence of extremely rare females indicate there was originally two genders or is being female a chromosomal disorder for their race where they have an extra X or Y chromosome. It is possible that Moclans were originally a species similar to ants where we had the Queen and a ton of drones. The drones rebelled and figured out a way to reproduce.

Another possibility is that the Moclans are similar to the humans in Vandread where males and females separated and created their own societies where everyone is either male or female and the vast majority don't realize that they originally came from the same species. So there might be a planet full of female Moclans where any male babies are changed into females.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    or they could all be hermaphrodites who can impregnate themselves​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

I took that as a given, it's just the question of what's going on with the other aspects of male and female (i.e. female bre@sts are considered a secondary sexual characteristic, voice and hair growth patterns and the like are tertiary).
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options

Which is where the whole female being a chromosomal disorder comes into play. It depends on whether it is natural or technological. I am thinking it is technological since they are referred to as a race of males instead of hermaphrodites. Seems like 20th Century mentality to think an alien race is made of a bunch of males just because they look male according to our perception of what male and female should look like.
  • Options

I would lean more towards hermaphrodites who still require intercourse for fertilization, with both individuals receiving genetic material from the other and capable of producing an egg, thereby doubling the odds of producing offspring. What throws me for a loop is their identification as male and the rare existence of females, it doesn't make any sense.

Unless maybe they originally had males and females in equal numbers, but found a way to combine DNA from 2 males in a lab to produce offspring, and then allowed females to die out because they are "weak".
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Unless maybe they originally had males and females in equal numbers, but found a way to combine DNA from 2 males in a lab to produce offspring, and then allowed females to die out because they are "weak".

I think that would be kinda what happened, however it worked in detail. Episode 3 suggested that they regarded the female sex weak, and so presumably they found a way to get rid of them without losing procreation. That would suggest a pretty extreme sexism in their past, if they'd go so far to eliminate the possibility of females.

Maybe "technically", the changes they made actually turn them into Hemaprhodites -they integrated female reproductive organs, but ensured that everything else still stayed phenotypically male.

It is not very plausible for something like that too happen, both culturally and biologically, but I guess that just makes it even more like Star Trek with its nonsense genetics. ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options

It doesn't need to be sinister. A deadly virus that only targets females or one that makes females sterile would have the same effect. At our level of development, killing off all the males would not destroy the human race, but killing all the females would doom the human race unless we take drastic methods.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »

It doesn't need to be sinister. A deadly virus that only targets females or one that makes females sterile would have the same effect. At our level of development, killing off all the males would not destroy the human race, but killing all the females would doom the human race unless we take drastic methods.

Wasn't trying to be sinister, I said "allowed females to die out", not "exterminated all females". But they did display an astonishing level of sexism in Episode 3.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options

...How the heck do you figure killing off either sex wouldn't kill off the human race? We're not capable of parthenogenesis: unless we can get human cloning worked out, you need both sets of gametes to make an embryo.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options

...How the heck do you figure killing off either sex wouldn't kill off the human race? We're not capable of parthenogenesis: unless we can get human cloning worked out, you need both sets of gametes to make an embryo.

Sperm banks probably have enough material on ice to keep us going a good while. There are frozen eggs too, but without a living female we would have no womb for the embryo to grow in. I think that's what they were getting at.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

There might be enough frozen sperm around to enable artificial insemination on a larger scale. Replacing the whole female reproductive system is far more difficult.

Though I agree, it wouldn't be sustainable unless whatever is killing of males is dealt with afterwards. And the logistics would be a nightmare and probably put a serious dent into human population, far beyond the loss of half the population.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options

Sperm banks probably have enough material on ice to keep us going a good while. There are frozen eggs too, but without a living female we would have no womb for the embryo to grow in. I think that's what they were getting at.

Exactly. Artificial wombs might be possible in a few decades, but Artificial Insemination has been around for decades. Also, depending on how persistent whatever killed off males or sterilized them is, it could only affect one generation or be a curse for eons. So either we have one generation where everyone had Artifical Insemination or we have to eventually figure out some other method.
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Since Bortus and Klyden seem to be a recurring subplot, I wouldn't be surprised if we later learn that Moclan society actually does have a 50-50 gender split, but they simply deny it for societal tradition. Klyden only found out about his gender reassignment after leaving the homeworld, so there is no reason to think that the rest of the population would be any the wiser.
  • Options
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Since Bortus and Klyden seem to be a recurring subplot, I wouldn't be surprised if we later learn that Moclan society actually does have a 50-50 gender split, but they simply deny it for societal tradition. Klyden only found out about his gender reassignment after leaving the homeworld, so there is no reason to think that the rest of the population would be any the wiser.

Before the female Moclan showed up, I almost expected that the Orville's scan was going to detect that the Moclans had a 50-50 gender split. If the Moclan doctors are all part of the conspiracy, then the average Moclan wouldn't know that they might be a female. Klyden didn't know until after "he" was scanned by a Union doctor. Still is a possibility if the scans to detect the female Moclan was only good enough to detect females and not males that were originally female.