• Options
    chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »

"Yes. Please understand."
    SP9Pu.gif
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    Qwen? I think so. Its been a very long time since I did the DQ mission patrols but yes I think he did have to relocate to the Delta Quadrant to avoid angry customers in the alpha/beta quadrant. Not sure if he had to flee because he had legal troubles though.

Either way I find it irritating that aside from the female Ferengi in that gamma quadrant mission, we never get to actually kill or rightfully arrest/imprison the Ferengi foes we come across after they essentially order their bodyguards to do attempted murder of a Starfleet/KDF/Republic Officer. Those aren't minor crimes.

From what I remember, he's relocating to the Delta Quadrant because the playable character (and possibly some other allied ships) are trying to kill him/destroy his ship.
    As I mentioned earlier, he made so many enemies he couldn't continue operations.
    I wonder how long it will take before the Benthans come after him and the Hazari are given a bounty for his capture?

To be honest, if a Ferengi is shooting at me, I'll just shoot back.
    And I won't care if I fail to take them alive (plus it'll save me the trouble of executing them after defeat).
    Well, it's not like my gun has a stun setting anyway, so if I shoot a Ferengi, they are going to die.....

And as you mentioned, they are committing crimes, so they do deserve to be punished.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    Well, fortunately STO is an mmo where we can choose the content we play.
    They can buildup the Ferengi all they want, but participation in the content is always optional.

That is bad news about the Foundry.
    I was hoping for a Ferengi blasting mission.
    I was even considering making one myself......
    Bad news? It's easy to make high-quality Ferengi custom costumes! then take whatever race you want and reskin them as Ferengi! Next is to use the appropriate dialog...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    This just in from Risian World News:
    Qwen and his assistant have mysteriously vanished.
    05BC50782B8D07C92B980EA22B9AEDF6C6A23BAA

@markhawkman
    I don't know how the tailor works in Foundry.
    But the last time I made an Accolade Defeat Ground mission, they literally had to be the enemy in question or it didn't count towards to Accolade.
    So a generic character reskinned to look like a Ferengi won't actually work for my intended purpose (getting the Accolade trophies for display in my ship).

Assuming there is a Ferengi defeat accolade that is.
    From what I am reading here, I don't think there is.
    If Cryptic ever add one, well, guess what I'll be spending the day doing. :D;)

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    well, there's no accolade trophy for Ferengi.... the trophies are faction based
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Are you going to expand the GPL store? If not you're giving worthless rewards for time spent in game. 30k dilithium is good but it's only the level 10 reward. By the time I get to level 10 I'm going to have a metric $#!+-ton of worthless GPL in my inventory, I've got that already, I don't need more.
  • Options
    I thought the Accolade trophies were simply based on the enemy type, that Factions had nothing to do with it.
    At least, that's how my Foundry mission worked, I just filled it with the enemies that I wanted the trophy for/from, dropped some turrets to make it easier to handle the Zerg Rushes and I got my decoration after a few runs of the mission.

In my personal experience, GPL is only good for one thing, the holoentertainer DOFF special provisioning assignments.
    I have never found another use for it.

• Options
    vinny#6447 vinny Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    holy cow! thank you so much for...adding...another...K..D..F...nevermind back to Conan Exiles. GPL...lol.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Why all the Ferengi hate?
  • Options
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I really have no idea whatsoever...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Yes, to me, all this added up together pretty much proves to me that some amongst the Devs clearly love the Ferengi as a 'pet species.' I have no idea why though, the Ferengi are nasty, disgusting, sexist, selfish, greedy little A-holes.
    Qwen did have to relocate to the Delta Quadrant to avoid angry customers in the alpha/beta quadrants.
    Either way I find it irritating that we never get to actually kill or rightfully arrest/imprison the Ferengi foes we come across after they essentially order their bodyguards to do attempted murder of a Starfleet/KDF/Republic Officer. Those aren't minor crimes.

I find the Ferengi abhorrent because their entire life is ruled by greed, every minute is spent thinking up ways to get richer and exploiting others to do so (like coercing a starship captain into doing long overdue mandated safety repairs for free).
    By those rules, anything can be done to anyone, no matter how unethical if it results in a profit and they don't get caught committing the crime.
    So I just reasoned every Ferengi sent on their way out of existence is a favor done to the entire galaxy and I do that favor with every captured Ferengi I encounter.....

Rom and Nog are the only Ferengi I like, because they chose a lifepath that departed from greed and dishonesty.

• Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    You've summed up very well why I hate Ferengi there Tilarta. Almost perfectly. They're also dangerously amoral, willing to even kill for their greed. Look at the Fed tutorial. You fix his ship for free and he warps out without offering any aid. He could have at least warped out and sent a distress signal out on behalf of our poor battered Miranda. But no! He simply bet against our survival!

The only other thing I would mention is their thousands of years of systematically abusing Ferengi women. No rights, no protections, no freedom, not even allowed to wear clothes! Even pregnancy was a 'rental agreement' to those barbaric, greedy, lying scum. And yes while I know that they've begun giving Ferengi women better rights its still appalling the way they were treated for thousands of years.

And really, the process of equality has only just begun for the Ferengi species. Look at humanity, although we've made great strides toward equality we're still a long way from truly achieving it and we've been changing for hundreds of years. I have no doubts a female Ferengi still has a lot of extra hurdles to get past before she can truly start making a profit within Ferengi society.

Of course in STO the irritation is compounded by the fact that except for Farak, the Ferengi we encounter usually get away with their foul deeds against our Captains freely. It would be another thing if we were consistently able to kill or arrest them (without them escaping somewhere down the line.) But we can't.

And now the ingame prize for the Trek Cruise is a T6 Ferengi Nagus Marauder! Further evidence that the Ferengi are Dev Pets.

I'd also mention the Lobi Crystal Consortium which is, ingame, run by Ferengi. It was Quark who mentioned them in the first ep of Voyager trying to scam Harry Kim into buying them. With the only way to obtain lobi being in lockboxes, a captain must fork out a lot of EC, dil-to-zen or real life money to zen in order to get lobi crystals. Either way lobi is obviously a very, very valuable currency and the Ferengi in the Lobi Crystal Consortium must make an ingame killing of profit at the expense of us/our captains!
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    You've summed up very well why I hate Ferengi there Tilarta. Almost perfectly. They're also dangerously amoral, willing to even kill for their greed. Look at the Fed tutorial. You fix his ship for free and he warps out without offering any aid. He could have at least warped out and sent a distress signal out on behalf of our poor battered Miranda. But no! He simply bet against our survival!

The only other thing I would mention is their thousands of years of systematically abusing Ferengi women. No rights, no protections, no freedom, not even allowed to wear clothes! Even pregnancy was a 'rental agreement' to those barbaric, greedy, lying scum. And yes while I know that they've begun giving Ferengi women better rights its still appalling the way they were treated for thousands of years.

And really, the process of equality has only just begun for the Ferengi species. Look at humanity, although we've made great strides toward equality we're still a long way from truly achieving it and we've been changing for hundreds of years. I have no doubts a female Ferengi still has a lot of extra hurdles to get past before she can truly start making a profit within Ferengi society.

Of course in STO the irritation is compounded by the fact that except for Farak, the Ferengi we encounter usually get away with their foul deeds against our Captains freely. It would be another thing if we were consistently able to kill or arrest them (without them escaping somewhere down the line.) But we can't.

And now the ingame prize for the Trek Cruise is a T6 Ferengi Nagus Marauder! Further evidence that the Ferengi are Dev Pets.

I'd also mention the Lobi Crystal Consortium which is, ingame, run by Ferengi. It was Quark who mentioned them in the first ep of Voyager trying to scam Harry Kim into buying them. With the only way to obtain lobi being in lockboxes, a captain must fork out a lot of EC, dil-to-zen or real life money to zen in order to get lobi crystals. Either way lobi is obviously a very, very valuable currency and the Ferengi in the Lobi Crystal Consortium must make an ingame killing of profit at the expense of us/our captains!

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »

I think the main reason why the Ferengi are so despised by people isn't the greed, the amorality, or the rampant sexism.

It's because the Ferengi are us. Humanity in the 20th/21st century is marked by rampant greed, materialism, selfishness, and bigotry. The Ferengi simply take that concept to its logical extreme. It's an ugly mirror, showing us what we could become, and that scares people because we already see signs of that in our society today.

Personally, I love the Ferengi from a storytelling standpoint. It's nice to see something that shines that light on the darker parts of who we are.

Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Yes, the Ferengi treatment of their women is also cause for concern.
    I remember there's a female Ferengi living on Qo'nos because it's the only place where she could get people to deal with her and not acknowledge her gender.
    The fact she chose to live with a warrior species and regards that as better then her own culture, obviously the culture in question isn't a good one.

Another reason the Ferengi are abhorrent is because unlike Starfleet, they maintain the status quo because they want to stay as they are, greedy and dishonest.
    If they moved forward as a culture instead of remaining mired in their materialistic past, then I would have some hope that they can in time be better then they are.

Even the Prophets have an interesting perspective to offer, they examined the "entirety of Ferengi history" and discovered at some point in their past, the Ferengi were kind and generous, money meant nothing to them except as a means to supply aid to those in need.
    The fact the Ferengi culture went from that state to a less noble one makes me suspect someone with a nefarious agenda manipulated their society to become something other then what it was meant to be.
    And that's one of the few examples of the Prophets becoming directly involved in corporeal matters, they were going to make the Ferengi what they once were in response to encountering Grand Nagus Zek and his greed.
    When a species as powerful as the Prophets notices you and enacts punishment, that says everything about how bad they are.

As @mikoto8472 mentioned above, I wouldn't mind so much that the Ferengi get away if we eventually get to catch up with them and make them pay for their crimes, either with death, arrest or imprisonment (i would pick option 1).
    Letting them escape with no punishment says to me "the Ferengi are free to do what they want without repercussions".

I don't know what "Legendary ship" means, but the very fact a Ferengi ship of this quality has been offered is more evidence to me of the Dev's favoritism in play.
    I am not entering the contest because of this potential prize.

I concur that the Lobi store is another way to keep the Ferengi high profile.

As regards my DOFF crew, Ferengi DOFFs are one of the three primary species I will not allow on my ship crew roster, that's how much I despise them.

And speaking of Doffing, guess who gets chosen for Assignment: Execute Changeling Spy every time the assignment comes up?
    I can even reclaim him from the Account Unlocks tab every time this assignment comes around, so I get the satisfaction of executing him several times! ;)
    Post edited by tilarta on

• Options
    edited July 2017
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I really have no idea whatsoever...

not so much for the Ferengi but the laziness of the devs, (sorry devs) GPL store is not useful, and another admiralty chain that is just like the KDF 30,000 dil not that useful when i'm backlogged around 1 mil.
  • Options
    I am confused, how does having alternate characters help specific characters exceed the daily refining limit?
    Because I am fairly certain it does not.

A backlog is unrefined Dilithium waiting to be processed.
    And it can't be transferred to other characters to allow them to convert it and pass it back.
    Dilithium can only be transferred when it has been refined.

• Options
    themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    I am confused, how does having alternate characters help specific characters exceed the daily refining limit?
    Because I am fairly certain it does not.

A backlog is unrefined Dilithium waiting to be processed.
    And it can't be transferred to other characters to allow them to convert it and pass it back.
    Dilithium can only be transferred when it has been refined.

The point is that you are earning too much on one character, creating a chokepoint. Having alts doesn't fix your past mistakes, but helps keep it from getting worse.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The T6 Nagus Marauder, without the GPL embellishments, will eventually make its way into a future Infinity Lockbox when the Ferengi Lockbox is incorporated. It is the T6 upgrade to the D'Kora. The current Nagus Marauder has an upgraded Console to that of the D'Kora Battle Module 3000 (the Battle Module 4000).

That Console is part of a set with that of the Nandi. You can use either the 3000 or 4000 as part of that two-piece set. In fact when you use the 4000 to start Battle Mode the flybys say that you are in D'Kora Battle Mode.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I do have more than one toon but let's be honest the grinding gets old the 4th, 5th, 6th, time around so I have my main tac toon that gets 90% of my play time, yes that's on me, don't get me wrong I LOVE this game but the grinding each toon and getting them to spec is a chore that I don't want to mess with. So IMO if the DEVs are going to push "new" content please make it worth my time. the fact is the GPL store has nothing of value to spend my time on but now we can get more GPL? great... and more dil when i get my toons through KDF and Ferengi but the ships i have in my alts aren't all that great to even do the lvl 8-10 missions to get that dill and i'm only whaling one toon. so in the end keep the new missions coming and make grinding GPL worth my/other player's time because even if the devs stopped putting out new stuff I would still play and spend money on the game until the very last day of play. I enjoy this game that much.
  • Options
    I only have 4 characters, but at this point, I have no intentions of making more (for various reasons).
    As @vinny pointed out, when you're going through the game more then once, it gets boring and repetitive.

I simply do not enjoy the endgame grind, even doing the very minimum of Reputations, DOFFING, Specialization Points, Admiralty and Fleet Credits it's still fairly intensive.
    So I see no reason to subject myself to that experience on characters that are only created to be resource farmers.

Me personally, I limit myself to doing the KDF Admiralty.
    Once every 10 days is a three day refining backlog.
    The same thing happens when I get to T5 of a Reputation, but that happens less frequently.

But I think in some cases, Dilithium earning cannot be avoided.
    I do a Fleet queue for marks or an Reputation queue for marks/reputation token, I get Dil manditorily.
    So just playing the game for other reasons can build up a Dil excess without intentionally seeking it out.

Since there is already an Admiralty that provides Dilithium and it's already at level 10, I see no reason to advance another to do what I am already capable of.
    Especially since it is designed to promote Ferengi and I despise them.

• Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    It also raises these in-universe questions: where are they getting these ships and gear? If they're making like vultures and scavenging battle sites, you'd expect the KDF and Starfleet (and the Romulan Republic Navy) to stomp on that right quick (in fact, I recall that one possible KDF Admiralty mission has you destroying derelict ships specifically so that scavengers can't get them). Now comes the question, "If one were to purge the lobi store from the game, where would the removed items go?" Answer: the various reputations' dil stores. Vaadwaur weapons and kit modules? Delta Alliance. Rad crystals and web grenades? Nukara Strikeforce. Et cetera. Ships could be huge T5 projects.

It's been noted, rightly, that there is little interesting to spend GPL on. Another avenue of expansion for this list would be to implement some sort of player housing, with a revamp of ready rooms (not all ships have these) being an intermediary step. As an example of the possibilities, consider this tour of the latest available 'house' over in SWTOR, and feel free to peruse these wiki entries with respect to FFXIV and SWTOR housing.
  • Options
    I think the expanded interior levels of Starships includes a Captain's quarters on the crew deck.
    But I am uncertain how much it can be customised or if it can be modified at all.

I think putting player housing in the Fleet Starbase would be a better choice.
    Since it's the size of a small moon, I think there would be enough room to accommodate the player's housing.

Just don't melt down all the GPL to plate everything in that metal, it's just tasteless and tacky.
    Not to mention you'll need to start giving sunglasses to everyone who enters the suite....
    *punches out Ferengi setting up an eyewear vendor stand outside the door*

Paintjobs for the starbase would be nice too, it's boring having everyone's fleetbase with the exact some colors.

If GPL actually had some practical uses (like the ones described above), then players would be more invested in collecting it.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

I think the main reason why the Ferengi are so despised by people isn't the greed, the amorality, or the rampant sexism.

It's because the Ferengi are us. Humanity in the 20th/21st century is marked by rampant greed, materialism, selfishness, and bigotry. The Ferengi simply take that concept to its logical extreme. It's an ugly mirror, showing us what we could become, and that scares people because we already see signs of that in our society today.

Personally, I love the Ferengi from a storytelling standpoint. It's nice to see something that shines that light on the darker parts of who we are.
    I'd love the ferengi from a storytelling standpoint, if only my character wasn't scripted to fall for their obvious scams time and time again and unable to do anything about it.
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

I'd love the ferengi from a storytelling standpoint, if only my character wasn't scripted to fall for their obvious scams time and time again and unable to do anything about it.

Eh, I look at it like this:

The character knows it's a scam.
    The character expects to be betrayed.
    The character allows them to escape.

Why?

The character is gathering enough evidence to have them thrown into Facility 4028/Rura Penthe, a place where they couldn't pay people enough to attempt a prison break.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Not everyone has access to a Starbase, you'd need to sell real estate on a planet like Risa to give everyone a chance to own a home/base. With both factions able to access Risa that would probably be the best place for a base. With Floaters and Powerboards available on summer resort it would be easy to port them to a new map on Risa. You could spend Latinum for things like an obstacle course for floaters and a powerboard track, furnishings and decorations and amenities like bank and mail terminals.
  • Options
    I don't want a beachhouse on Risa, I want a log cabin on Andoria! :p

Why wouldn't anyone have a Starbase?
    Even if you don't bother upgrading it, you'll still have access to the interior.
    And honestly, if you aren't in a fleet, you aren't getting the best gear available ingame, because it all comes from the vendors in the main base or subholdings.
    It doesn't make sense for a player to inconvenience themself like this.

But maybe all the options should be available, get a log cabin on Andoria, an apartment in San Fransisco, a room suite in the staircase, a beachhouse on Risa or anything else that might be suitable.
    Pick whichever one is your favorite and put all the GPL earned into upgrading it.
    Or all of them if you have the resources! ;)
    Personally, I'd prefer to upgrade the interior with custom decorations/paintjobs etc.

Champions Online has customisable bases by the way, but they don't exist anywhere ingame as an access point.
    There is a button next to the minimap (roughly where we have our hail Starfleet button) that teleports your character into their "home".
    If that system was implemented in STO, they'd probably emulate that with a "transport to home" button.

• Options
    matthewfelixmatthewfelix Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Could also tie the 'homes' to places everyone has access to like Risa, DS9, The sphere under alliance control. Could also have faction based ones fed on earth, kdf on kronos, romulans on new romulus, and vets could instead have it at the captain's table (I really wish we had a use for that place now a days), but honestly the easiest way is to just link it as a tab you beam up to like your ship interior so it goes with you tied to your ship but independent so you can enter your 'home' and invite people to it without having to add lots of memory to existing places. Probably should keep homes faction neutral as a base (can personalize for a faction though) and keep it to one 'home' per account to keep the data overhead lower.
    Right now if you want to build a home, use the content creator and create a map that has an easy to reach universal 'starting point' want to view the home, start up the mission, want to leave, make sure there is a clicky to complete the mission whenever you are done. Heck then you could set up a shooting range or whatever you want in your 'home'.