test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

star trek discovery would be added to star trek online someday

Comments

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    TRIBBLE...that sounds right...looks like what they did to Star Trek was give it a nasty TRIBBLE.

Every update I see of this show just gets worse and worse...ever since JJTrek they have been taking a deuce after deuce on the Star Trek name.

Holographic communications...wow...amazing how they're doing that 10 years before Kirk when they didn't even start that till the Dominion Wars. (Also looks like they ripped it off from Star Wars)

One ship looks like a D7 made love with a Starfleet vessel and then the abomination called Destiny was born...

The other ship looks completely out of place and looks like they ripped it off from Cryptic designers.

Then these *things* they call Klingons...I can't put into words how messed up they are.

It just looks as time goes on they keep pushing the limits of how much the can defecate on Trek...
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    ST:DSC or STDSC or DSC. Not TRIBBLE.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »

No....TRIBBLE is perfect for it!
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    It's TRIBBLE, no matter how much the studio objects.

And I suspect the main reason an STO tie-in hasn't been scheduled is that CBS can't make up their friggin' minds as to when the series might finally premiere.

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »

When I'm talking about things I like about it, like the ship in the new trailer, I'll refer to the show as DSC.

When I'm talking about things I dislike about it, like the design of the "Klingons" and the first ship they showed us, I'll be referring to the show as TRIBBLE.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Trailer didn't grab my attention at all... I'll definitely watch a few episodes and give it a chance, but the trailer was very meh for me.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Ship = NX + D-7 making sexy times and having a kid.

Bridge = Enterprise + JJ'Verse vomit fest.

Crew = Decent except for the guy who senses death. That is just silly even for Star Trek.

Klingons = How in the world could you mess up Klingons? I mean seriously how?! They look like Na'kuhl with extra ridges and the JJ KDF mask.

Thumbs down for the new series. They could have something going but they really fumbled a lot of things for a stated prime universe based show.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    That's it!!! After not seeing a single episode or the story it tells, I am done with this Series. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The first episode will be free as it is debuting on CBS. After that it is All Access (US), or Netflix (rest of the world).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    mercurythefirstmercurythefirst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    Having seen that trailer I feel all warm and fuzzy and proud that I have never given a single buck to Netflix and now I have a new reason for continuing that principle.

More JJ lens trek, with the added insult of trying to insinuate it into the prime timeline.

I'll forget about (read: repress) it tomorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    bloodpact.net

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."

-Michelangelo
  • Options
    Having seen that trailer I feel all warm and fuzzy and proud that I have never given a single buck to Netflix and now I have a new reason for continuing that principle.

More JJ lens trek, with the added insult of trying to insinuate it into the prime timeline.

I'll forget about (read: repress) it tomorrow.

If you've never used Netflix, then IMHO your missing out. Without it, I never would have seen Lost, Breaking Bad, or several other shows I never bothered to watch when they were current, not to mention the awesome originals like Stranger Things.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    lianthelia wrote: »
    TRIBBLE...that sounds right...looks like what they did to Star Trek was give it a nasty TRIBBLE.

Every update I see of this show just gets worse and worse...ever since JJTrek they have been taking a deuce after deuce on the Star Trek name.

Holographic communications...wow...amazing how they're doing that 10 years before Kirk when they didn't even start that till the Dominion Wars. (Also looks like they ripped it off from Star Wars)

One ship looks like a D7 made love with a Starfleet vessel and then the abomination called Destiny was born...

The other ship looks completely out of place and looks like they ripped it off from Cryptic designers.

Then these *things* they call Klingons...I can't put into words how messed up they are.

It just looks as time goes on they keep pushing the limits of how much the can defecate on Trek...

JJAbrams & CBS : Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie and TV shows is made. StarTrek-the T-shirt, Star Trek-the Coloring Book, Star Trek-the Lunch box, Star Trek-the Breakfast Cereal, Star Trek - the Zika virus klingons, Star Trek-the Flame Thrower.
    [turns it on]
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    Klingons in this time period should look like this, if I'm not mistaken. (They were going for the Mongolian horde look).
    Klingon_3_variants.jpg

So I wonder how they ended up with this instead:
    star-trek-discovery-klingons-01.jpg

Random mutation, small Klingon sect that tried to restore their former appearance, Klingons who successfully evaded the mutagenic virus...???

Though I wish the trailer didn't look so much like JJ Trek, I'm curious to see more.

Looks like some klingons went on shore leave in brazil and got the zika virus and had kids O.o
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I just want the Starfleet Uniforms from the show. The rest of it can go pound sand at this point.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    If discovery is a success then it will outlive STO and there'll be a lot of hassle getting any rights as discovery specific games will come out, if it bombs/'1 season success' then there might not be too much demand for that trully horrific ship and non-klingons.
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Much rather they had a John Carpenter score than that song.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    postinggum wrote: »
    If discovery is a success then it will outlive STO and there'll be a lot of hassle getting any rights as discovery specific games will come out, if it bombs/'1 season success' then there might not be too much demand for that trully horrific ship and non-klingons.

STO is licensed by CBS. CBS owns Discovery. So I wouldnt expect any hassle from them and if STO remains profitable its not going anywhere anytime soon.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Klingons in this time period should look like this, if I'm not mistaken. (They were going for the Mongolian horde look).
    Klingon_3_variants.jpg

Random mutation, small Klingon sect that tried to restore their former appearance, Klingons who successfully evaded the mutagenic virus...???

Though I wish the trailer didn't look so much like JJ Trek, I'm curious to see more.

Looks like some klingons went on shore leave in brazil and got the zika virus and had kids O.o

Looks more like Krall hooked up with a Xindi insectoid in Brazil instead.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Hey thanks for mentioning this series! Probably not as good as the shorts but something worth trying perhaps, especially since TRIBBLE looks like it's been designed to be unwatchable.
    No thanks. You know this franchise is in trouble when the Seth MacFarlane Star Trek parody sitcom on FOX (The Orville) looks more like a real Star Trek series than the new "official" Star Trek series.

Discovery looks like something that was vomited up by the special effects team that worked on the Transformers movies ... and then some idiot executive at CBS said, "Throw the words 'Vulcan' and 'Klingon' into the script and call it 'Star Trek' so we can sell this trash to idiot fanboys."

If this is the future of Star Trek Online then I'll quit playing now while this game still resembles the Star Trek I've loved since I was 6 years old.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    Klingon_3_variants.jpg

Looks more like Krall hooked up with a Xindi insectoid in Brazil instead.
    It's the Kelvin Timeline treatment of the Klingon Augment Virus. Mutant zombie apocalypse. They'll probably start sprouting tentacles halfway through the first season.
  • Options
    ightenighten Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Looking forward to it - There will never be a new series of ST aimed at the purist fans needs as it probably wouldnt last more than 2 episodes before they pulled the plug on the season.

Like the new movies you have to put bums on seats or in TV get numbers watching for peak advertising revenues - Its that or no new star trek. So I respect what JJ has done (even though its not fully to my taste) and am willing to give this a chance

I still half expect though it will bomb and be cancelled
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I still say locking behind a subscription service is a HUGE mistake. It's going to be the most pirated ST series ever, then the suits will blame the tanking ratings and not their own appallingly dumb $trategy when they cancel it.
  • Options
    lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    To be fair the issues with TRIBBLE aren't simply a matter of purism, there's also the content which is intended on being family unfriendly.
    ighten wrote: »
    Looking forward to it - There will never be a new series of ST aimed at the purist fans needs as it probably wouldnt last more than 2 episodes before they pulled the plug on the season.

Like the new movies you have to put bums on seats or in TV get numbers watching for peak advertising revenues - Its that or no new star trek. So I respect what JJ has done (even though its not fully to my taste) and am willing to give this a chance

• Options
    To be fair the issues with TRIBBLE aren't simply a matter of purism, there's also the content which is intended on being family unfriendly.
    ighten wrote: »

What, exactly, do you consider to not be family friendly about the information released up until now?
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    gannadenegannadene Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    Sadly, Discovery looks like it's being driven by corporate meddling from executives that don't care or know much about the brand beyond the idea that the Kelvin movies are what people know right now. Every rumor that's come out about production has painted it as a nightmare.

Fans are ready to reject it, because it's been a very long time since there's been a "proper" Trek series. Enterprise wasn't it, as it came during the "dirty sci fi" TV era. Voyager spent more time being a silly action series than actually discussing politics or philosophy, due to the old TNG "writing family" being broken up over time in favor of Brennan and Braga's choice picks. So in a lot of ways, there hasn't been recognizable Trek since DS9, nearly 20 years ago.

If fans do reject it and the series fails, it'll be catastrophic, as Netflix is funding it and breathing down CBS' neck. CBS doesn't even want to make it, and will certainly shelve the idea of a TV series forever if it does fall through. Yet if it does succeed, we'll just get more JJ-inspired nonsense. Not to mention potentially ruined canon, since they know people will reject non-Prime, yet they're insisting on ignoring continuity, designs and established technology and also insisting on making yet another prequel. Why everyone obsessed over the idea that the general TOS era is the most marketable one, I have no idea. Either way, I hope it's only mildly disappointing, because this bad swing is Trek's last at bat for an actual series.
  • Options
    mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    Had they said the new show would take place during STO's timeline, then release the trailer, I'd be hyped. I'd be like...so this is what 2409 looks like, not too shabby!
This discussion has been closed.