test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Your Screenshot Could Be a Part of Star Trek Online!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
It's the return of the Screenshot Contest! Send us your best, and the winners will be added as loading screens in the game!

Full details here:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10486043

Comments

• Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    iconian_vonph_by_bloodrave1984-db7wtug.jpg

i_s_s__shiroyama_by_bloodrave1984-db731p3.jpg

i_s_s__nachtjager_by_bloodrave1984-db73ck9.jpg

NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
      You gotta submit them to the official email, as mentioned in the blog. :)
    • Options
      rurinnfanerurinnfane Member Posts: 12 Arc User
      I asked on Twitter but I'll also check in here - can we use demorecord to take our screenshots? And are there any preferences for non-edited screenshots, or are we allowed to edit/Photoshop them?
      They've been questions in the past for the other screenshot contests from 2014-2015, so. :)
      33K68T2.png
      Your friendly neighborhood Romulan. I take/edit screenshots and draw too much STO fanart for my own good.

My screenshots and art are on tumblr, twitter and deviantart!
      Check out my tutorials on using demorecord and editing screenshots!
    • Options
      rurinnfane wrote: »
      I asked on Twitter but I'll also check in here - can we use demorecord to take our screenshots? And are there any preferences for non-edited screenshots, or are we allowed to edit/Photoshop them?
      They've been questions in the past for the other screenshot contests from 2014-2015, so. :)

Demorecord is totally cool.

We would rather the screenshots be showing off what the game itself can look like, not what you guys can make it look like with your awesome photoshop skills, so I'm gonna say no on editing for now.
    • Options
      rurinnfanerurinnfane Member Posts: 12 Arc User

Demorecord is totally cool.

We would rather the screenshots be showing off what the game itself can look like, not what you guys can make it look like with your awesome photoshop skills, so I'm gonna say no on editing for now.

Excellent. Thank you!
      33K68T2.png
      Your friendly neighborhood Romulan. I take/edit screenshots and draw too much STO fanart for my own good.

My screenshots and art are on tumblr, twitter and deviantart!
      Check out my tutorials on using demorecord and editing screenshots!
    • Options
      saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
      edited May 2017
      All images must be 1920x1080 or larger.
      Darn. I can't even go higher than 1680x1050.
      #TASforSTO
      Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    • Options
      lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
      Oh this will be very cool.

There's some mega screenshot people out there who i know will love this.
      SulMatuul.png
    • Options
      milen93milen93 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
      Can we tweak the colors in the videocard's control panel?
    • Options
      thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
      sweet
      2gdi5w4mrudm.png
      Typhoon Class please!
    • Options
      realityripplerealityripple Member Posts: 6 Arc User

Use /renderscale 2 and you're good to go!
      The real problem is not whether machines think, but whether men do.
      - B.F. Skinner
    • Options
      tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
      no editing in programs like Photoshop, please!
      I'm assuming this also includes resizing existing images to meet the required dimensions?
      tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    • Options
      tyler002 wrote: »
      I'm assuming this also includes resizing existing images to meet the required dimensions?

It does not. Resizing is totally ok.
    • Options
      Ah, that's great.
    • Options
      speedystrekspeedystrek Member Posts: 41 Arc User

Hm, that's unfortunate. Some contrast etc. can't hurt a picture, dues it? You do it yourself.... And as fare as I know it was not a bit deal in the previews contests.

How about, if it's photoshoped, send both in?
      7mf4rl12.png
    • Options
      duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

What about the Foundry?
      Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
      Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
      Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    • Options
      dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User

Hm, that's unfortunate. Some contrast etc. can't hurt a picture, dues it? You do it yourself.... And as fare as I know it was not a bit deal in the previews contests.

How about, if it's photoshoped, send both in?

I would also like to say no to photoshopping. Since anyone can photoshop a bad screenshot into a prize winning one. Getting a great winning screenshot by itself should be the best you can do.
    • Options
      scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
      Mine are submitted. Great to see this return.
    • Options
      hawkyenarasumashawkyenarasumas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
      tyler002 wrote: »
      How does one do this without losing quality? I have some images that I'd really like to submit that can't really be re-shot that don't meet the minimum size requirements. (Apparently we need to have giant monitors.)
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
      Admiral Hawkye L. Narasumas
      Commanding Officer, NX-91883 U.S.S. Harmony - Prometheus Class Custom Variant
      Fleet Commander, No Fate

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
    • Options
      djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
      Can I use the Windows "Print Screen" screenshot command? It would allow a quicker action shot vs having to set up the shot and type into the chat window...
      C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
      -Captain James T. Kirk
    • Options
      duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
      djf021 wrote: »
      Can I use the Windows "Print Screen" screenshot command? It would allow a quicker action shot vs having to set up the shot and type into the chat window...

That's what I've been using. :)

Just be sure to check the size of the resulting image. If the it doesn't meet requirements you may have to use the renderscale command (if 2 kills the framerate try 1.something) or resize the image (the one post-hoc modification allowed.)
      Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
      Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
      Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    • Options
      lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
      @ambassadorkael#6946 will we be permitted to enter collaborative works? Me and a few friends in game have some ideas for setting up for some nice shots, would those be counted as one person's work or could credit go to all involved?
      SulMatuul.png
    • Options
      quantumquantonum#7698 quantumquantonum Member Posts: 169 Arc User
      Hello!!!

If you don't want to have to type in /screenshot_jpg every time you want to take a screenshot, you can use key binds!

It's simple! Just type in the chat, for example "/bind alt+f4 screenshot_jpg", and whenever you want to take a screenshot, just type alt+f4! (also if u want to close the game so dont do this keybind, choose something other than alt+f4)

Here's an example if you want to change the renderscale:
      /bind ctrl+f8 "renderscale 2" (note: I forgot if quotes are needed. Try it without quotes if ctrl+f8 does nothing.)
      /bind ctrl+f9 screenshot_jpg
      /bind ctrl+f10 "renderscale 1"

More information on key bindings can be found on the wiki: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Keybinds
    • Options
      wd1966wd1966 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
      Why 1920x1080 or larger? Tweaking the color settings on one video card doesn't give the same image appearance for all settings on all video cards. Tweaking the video card is no different than using photoshop to balance the image to a uniform jpg, png, ot tiff file.
    • Options
      vaeloreonarivaeloreonari Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      Where do you send the screenshots?
    • Options
      avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
      "ll images must be 1920x1080 or larger." Oh great, my monitor is only 1600x900 currently. :(
    • Options
      irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
      edited May 2017

I can't even go that high, but you can scale them up in Paint as I did. Don't lose much resolution even with larger increases than you'll need.

• Options
      Where do you send the screenshots?

The blog includes an email to send them to.
    • Options
      avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
      edited May 2017
      Post edited by avoozuul on
    • Options
      tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
      Note from an artist: Don't scale up your screenshots. Scaling up screenshots will make them look terrible.

Instead, use /renderscale # to increase the resolution you take screenshots at.

i.e. if I'm running at 1600x768, and I type "/renderscale 2" into the chat window, when I take a screenshot, the resolution of that shot will be 3200x1536. Your game will perform more poorly at that resolution, so just do that for the screenshot, then use "/renderscale 1" to return to your original resolution.

You can also use decimals. So, if you just want to get over the 1920x1080 limit, you can use 1.5 to get to 2400x1152, for instance.
      Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
      19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg