test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to Uninstall Arc and switch to steam

grimnarr50grimnarr50 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
Hi all having problems uninstalling arc from my pc, every time i try it says arc is running even tho its not, Getting desperate now guys, help really needed here

Comments

• Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    alt+ctrl+delte -> open the task manager. At the process tab find arc and click end task, if there is more than one arc in the list, repeat for all of them.

Then uninstall.
  • Options
    samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    Also, Arc runs in the system tray, and if you close it while another Arc game is running it will looks like it has quit but actually leaves behind some processes to support the running game.

If you follow micky1p00's instructions above by killing any and all 'arc' processes via Task Manager you should be able to proceed. Or, just reboot your computer and then uninstall... assuming you haven't told Arc to start when you boot your computer.

Can you actually switch your accounts between Steam and Arc though?
    @samaka#2511
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

Also, Arc runs in the system tray, and if you close it while another Arc game is running it will looks like it has quit but actually leaves behind some processes to support the running game.

If you follow micky1p00's instructions above by killing any and all 'arc' processes via Task Manager you should be able to proceed. Or, just reboot your computer and then uninstall... assuming you haven't told Arc to start when you boot your computer.

Can you actually switch your accounts between Steam and Arc though?

You can log into your account with either platform. @grimnarr50 Just remember not to buy Zen through Steam unless you want your account to be put on probation for a period of days.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Ahh, interesting, I did not know accounts worked across the two platforms... good to know! :)
    @samaka#2511
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Steam and ARC aren't platforms. They are just game managers.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2017
    pitshade said:

Steam and ARC aren't platforms. They are just game managers.

Indeed, there are only three platforms: PC, XBOX One, and PS4. Each have their own servers. The PC has two delivery methods for installing Neverwinter, ARC and Steam. Neither of which need to be ran to run the game on the PC beyond the initial installation. Once installed, just find the Neverwinter.exe launcher executable to load the launcher independently.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    Although Arc is very nice for reading News updates - the one feature I enjoy, unless I'm on the websites themselves.
  • Options
    http://store.steampowered.com/about/

What does it say there: Steam, the Ultimate Online Game Platform in the title, and Welcome to Steam, the Ultimate Entertainment Platform right there on the page.

I guess if Steam calls itself a platform who am I to argue? ;)
    @samaka#2511
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    I would say it is a difference between steam/arc being game platforms, and x-box/ps4/pc being system platforms. Same word, different usages.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I have Steam on my PC but it isn't set up for Neverwinter. ARC isn't on my PC at all. I installed the game prior to ARC getting launched or Steam being used for it. (Open Beta, June '13)

Steam may call itself a platform but not in the same context as PC, PlayStation or Xbox. In the context of Neverwinter, platform is referring to the hardware and OS used to run the game. Steam and Arc are separate programs that can be used to launch, manage or find new games as well as some news and social aspects.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,248 Arc User
    I don't use either to launch Neverwinter. I don't see a good reason to do so. Buying Zen and playing the game do not have to tie together.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    I don't use either, I also just run Neverwinter.exe

As to the "platform" definition, I never specified "system platform" or "game platform" when I used the word "platform". Steam is a platform for games, they provide a number of services, including API's and leaderboards for the games they support, much as the Xbox and PS platforms do for the console platforms.

Yes, Neverwinter is on 3 hardware platforms, however, on the PC platform it is also supported on 2 software platforms, Arc and Steam. Although, so far as I know both Arc and Steam are really just being used to launch the game, does Neverwinter integrate with any Steam features directly?

@samaka#2511
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

As to the "platform" definition, I never specified "system platform" or "game platform" when I used the word "platform". Steam is a platform for games, they provide a number of services, including API's and leaderboards for the games they support, much as the Xbox and PS platforms do for the console platforms.

Yes, Neverwinter is on 3 hardware platforms, however, on the PC platform it is also supported on 2 software platforms, Arc and Steam. Although, so far as I know both Arc and Steam are really just being used to launch the game, does Neverwinter integrate with any Steam features directly?

Pretty sure people weren't commenting to be nit-picky, I bet they wanted to make sure nobody thought that you could use steam to log into a PS4 or XBone account on PC. Because PS4 / XBone / PC are all separate [insert your preferred word here]

But yes, platform is such a silly word. At my work we employ a "rapid application deployment and delivery platform" which just means we have a configurable database and a bunch of smart people who can code custom stuff on top of it in days not weeks. So it's essentially a buzzword for "our flexible approach".

I hate words.
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    dupeks said:

Pretty sure people weren't commenting to be nit-picky, I bet they wanted to make sure nobody thought that you could use steam to log into a PS4 or XBone account on PC. Because PS4 / XBone / PC are all separate [insert your preferred word here]

But yes, platform is such a silly word. At my work we employ a "rapid application deployment and delivery platform" which just means we have a configurable database and a bunch of smart people who can code custom stuff on top of it in days not weeks. So it's essentially a buzzword for "our flexible approach".

I hate words.
    Blasphemer!!!

• Options
    hfleethfleet Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    I choose to use ARC because of it manages the games well, lets you read the latest news, and...

I get free Zen just for using it!

(they have Arc Points that accumulate and can be turned in on any game as Zen)
    Win-Win!
  • Options
    acelandowacelandow Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    hfleet said:

I choose to use ARC because of it manages the games well, lets you read the latest news, and...

I get free Zen just for using it!

(they have Arc Points that accumulate and can be turned in on any game as Zen)
    Win-Win!

Me too. I have enough for 500 Zen, but I am saving for 1000 or more. The Charge events work with both Zen purchases and free Zen pruchased with ARC Points.
  • Options
    mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    Very true, but it won't let you by crowns for SKs with your arc points :(
    Oh this is a NW/zen discussion.... nevermind :p
  • Options
    dolnordolnor Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    The Arc client stopped working on my Win 10 machine. I followed the suggestions via the Support page (run as admin, run compatibility troubleshooter, reduce Win10 security) but nothing works.

No worries because I can enter the games individually by starting the game clients.

Also, the Neverwinter option for updates was set to "stream updates when available". It allowed me to play the game and it would stream content updates as I played. Unfortunately, I have a slow internet connection (6mb ADSL) and it interferred/sometimes crashed the client. So I changed the option to "force verify"...and found the client needed 7.8gb of updates! LOL

I would suggest to everyone to change the Option to "force verify" once in a while. Not only will it find updates and install them, it will find corrupted game files and fix those too! -)

TQQdles™
    ... Εξελίσσεται διαρκώς εικονικής πραγματικότητας είναι το ολόγραμμα λόγου της infobahn ....