test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is RNG broken? i get same prizes for 6 days in a row from New Life boxes.

wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
items i kept getting those "Companion Augmenation pack" from New Life lockboxes, and nearly same items, once i pulled, i was kinda expecting 30 tokens, but instead.

items i have been getting same stuffs.
55k xp books, 2 tokens, 4-5 rank 6s and 1-2 rank 7s, and about 4-10 T bars a day.
all that for last 6 days.

Comments

• Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Nah... That's what you rolled. Not a bad roll though, each goes for 20k
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    seraericseraeric Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
    RNG or not .... I've had exactly the same "Companion Augmenation pack" for at least the last 4 days now. Saving my keys till after the next patch just in case.
  • Options
    hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    Didn't know you could get Rank 6 runestones from that pack. You must be extremely unlucky as I always get rank 7 & 8s which tbh I'm quite happy with as they may sell fairly well in the next 2x RP weekend.
  • Options
    bodini72bodini72 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 72 Arc User
    RNG is absolutely horrid in this game to be sure. I've seen many posts on here about the extreme nature of RNG in this game and I would agree with everyone that has complained about it. While the very nature of RNG leaves every and any possibility out there, there does seem to be some patterns present. Some of those patterns lean toward the positive side in the end ( running ELOL for months to get the horn and once it drops the first time, it drops somewhat regularly) to stupid ( upgrading something with a 75% chance only to take 50 or 60 wards).

While it probably isn't "broken", it is not working "properly".
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Doesn't surprise me. I've seen similar stuck results before with the DR lair eLoL chest. It never lasted more than a week. So maybe some cache somewhere gets cleared eventually.
  • Options
    seraericseraeric Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
    Despite what I said couldn't resist using the daily key and guess what .... another "Companion Augmenation pack". Oh well.
  • Options
    wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    They are pretty handy now, since during enchantments x2 event they drop twice as much of them.
  • Options
    zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
    Something is wrong with Neverwinter RNG (whether it be lockboxes, pres ward upgrades, profession finishing, or drops). The RNG in this game tends to have some oddities where very unlikely events happen far too often. Or rare results cluster together. I and others have observed very unusual or unlikely streaks repeatedly - far too often to be actual chance. Something is wrong. Often people chalk up these streaks to just "luck" or chance but I am absolutely convinced at this point that the RNG is does not function properly.

DEAR DEVS/Terremak: Something IS wrong with the RNG algorithms. Can you please offer us a description of how neverwinter RNG works? Is it on a universal server clock or does each event have its own RNG process?

I had a 90% chance artifact take 6 tries suring winter event (1 in 18,500 probability)
    Once took me 178 preservation wards to make a Rank 10>11 at 5% chance (1 in 1000 probability)
    A friend once failed 13 times on a 90% chance upgrade artifact (much less than 1 in 1,000,000 chance)
    Just last night I had 8 fails out of 9 profession task attempts at 75% CHANCE (1 in 9,230 probability)
    During unlocking mastercrafts I had a streak of 15 fails out of 16 finish now attempts (1 in 100 chance).)

Many many many more examples...When screwy Neverwinter RNG gets stuck like this, most players know to take a break, change instance, log out/in, etc. Because it is glitched. Something is stuck. Post your best (or worst) RNG streak stories below.

PS. If you want to know the chance that X could fail X number of times at Y (any %) chance, you can use this binomial probability calculator. Put in the number of tries, the chance of success per try (put in 0.90 for 90% chance, etc.) and number of successes. It will tell you the probability. If P is 0.001 for example, multiply by 100% to get the % chance (0.1%) or divide 1/P (so 1/0.001 = 1000) to get the "1 in 1000 chance" info. Very nice tool.
    Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
    Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

• Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    RNG sure is NOT random. You see ZERO +5 rings on hundreds of premade or semipremade runs and in a POM run 2 ppl get a +5. One doing his FIRST underdark run EVER.

I have 20 chars. I go for coal ward from cel. coins. I had up to 3 month opening chests without one ward and I had days with 3 wards from 5 chests.

Same goes for dread ring mini dungeons. 3 greater marks of potency from 4 rus in a row and zero for month.

Magical coffers, I opened 5k+ on the double refinement WE. Zero superior marks. Either a bad streak or RNG numbers so low, the reward is not woth mentioning.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    if the RNG is functioning normally, some people will seem to have long "bad" streaks, while others will seem to have streaks of "good" luck. In fact, you would expect to see something like a bell-shaped curve - there will always be people who seem to be extremely lucky or extremely unlucky.

If everyone would for example get something great exactly 25% of the time, and utter HAMSTER 25% of the time, it would be a clear sign that the RNG was broken.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    tvcitytvcity Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    it's your bad luck.. :trollface:
  • Options
    tvcitytvcity Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    double post
    Post edited by tvcity on
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    If you view RNG as your personal RNG, the chance of success looks very off.
    However, if you view RNG as a global RNG within Neverwinter (and it should be this way), nobody can tell if the chance of success is correct or incorrect unless someone within Cryptic gathers all the information and does the research.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I've not been getting the same thing every day. Today I got the artifact pack out of it. Yesterday I got Black Ice Master Pack. Day before that I got the Companion Augment pack. And I think the day before that I got the Professions Master Pack.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I always accumulate a whole bunch of keys and open a bunch of lockboxes at the same session. I don't open that everyday. I did 30+ boxes last night just because of 2x enchantment/runestone event. The award is double if I get your boxes. :) I got a variety of stuff.

Even for "Companion Augmentation pack", I open a few at one shot (another RNG). I got r9 too. When it happens, it doubled because of 2x event.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    i may have pull very few rank 8 and couple of 9s due to 2x bonus.
    not bad, consider when saving the stacks of them for next 2x refine event.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I consistently have more trouble making a rank 7 enchant (upgrading those event ones, ya know) than a rank 8 or 9. Like, laughably. I am quite ok with it being like that though.

Usually my 10% chance upgrades are way smoother than I should have any reason to expect, but I recently had one that decided I had to blow about 50 wards on it. I'm pretty sure they even out.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    i created other thread something i noticed wasnt normal about gond artifact from profession master pack. how in 600 tries never saw an artifact when is or the epic assets-resources or the artifact. AND you see poeple always with 600+ keys get up to 2 mount.ALSO how same quality artifacts (uncommon)appeared to my inventory lathanders and oghma and not a gond?
    WITh the streak theory you mentioned you have seen someone to get 2 legendary mounts 1 lockbox after another?
  • Options
    torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    Short Answer: No. RNG is not legit.

Nowhere have they ever stated they use an RNG either.
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • Options

WITh the streak theory you mentioned you have seen someone to get 2 legendary mounts 1 lockbox after another?

Not orange but have heard of 2 purple mount back to back.
    I did 200 eSOT runs back in mod4 and won two belt drops back to back. Never saw again.

• Options
    Computer RNG is called pseudorandom. The crappier RNG algorithms are highly subject to clustering and patterns.
    That is probably exactly what Neverwinter has. Crappy streak prone pseudorandom RNG alorithm.

• Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Well, i just save my daily lockbox keys for a month, and then open 30 lockboxes in one go.

Last month i got some random junk from the "glorious" lockboxes, but at least 300 Trade Bars.
    This months i'm looking at the same (slightly upgraded) random junk from the "life" lockboxes, with only 150 Trade Bars.

Some get better stuff, when they're in their Stronghold...
    others get better stuff, when they're on a more or less empty PE map...
    and others get better stuff, when they open their lockboxes in the evening/morning...
    but in the end, it's probably just random.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    alyrissaalyrissa Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Funny I have played several mmo's in my time and I swear every single one of them has this discussion on their forums, just an observation
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    There are only ~3-4 different items that you'll regularly get as a reward from a lockbox. The rest drop fairly rarely so getting a profession/companion/black ice box four days in a row really isn't a sign of anything.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    extchickenmanextchickenman Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    You cannot prove this...
    They will not confirm or deny any if this...
    This thread is moot...
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    well since the chances on the drops are not published its hard to say that RNG is not working. While there are estimates in circulation on the chances for drops, I have never seen any official report from cryptic on it. Meaning at any time your odds of success could be 1/10000000 or changed to that without notification or liability. It's the same for the dungeon drops and many of the powers/feats in the game that say "chance of" instead of an actual odd. Without publishing those odds the reliability of RNG cannot be verified/argued

I have long since believed that spending significant amounts of RL$ in game improves your chances of getting good loot. I can't prove it but I can say that the people i associate with that have the greatest luck with dungeon drops and lockboxes are also P2W players
  • Options
    theoddis1theoddis1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I have gotten the artifacr pack for the last 10 days and all they has were 2 cubes and a bunch of garbage refinemet (green stabilty stones ect...) and you know what I think? just bad luck you people really need to look up Gamblers fallacy if you have a 1/1000 chance to get x then each time you open you have a 1/1000 chance every time and you can go well I opened 10 so I have to get something good? WRONG
    I have gotten a rank 12 upgrade on the 2nd try and I have spent 50+ pres wards upgrading a 7-8 does that mean the RNG for 7-8 is broke? no I just had a string of fails it happens....