Install Arc
Options

Please dont Mess up the Romulans

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    DaveyNY,
    I hope you are right about the time table.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I can't see them being on the Fed/KDF side because the Hirogen are on Sela's side. And damn would it be fun to play a Hirogen or Undine.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So here is a question:

The Question: What races make up the romulan star empire.

1. Romulan
    2. Reman
    3.Calidonian? honestly other than the top 2 who else is part of the empire
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This is actually my biggest concern right now, it seems we have to fight for remans to be part of the empire. Hirogen appear likely no matter how little sense it make to me or not. I think this would be an important polling question, how important is it for people to have a wide variety of skins for RSE toons??
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My thoughts behind asking the question exactly... to answer your question ..

Q: How important is it (paraphrasing) for cryptic to capture the spirit of the empire.

A: (op) Moderately important. I want a romulan faction to exist. I wont be happy about hirogen but I will take it if it will get us up and going.

That being said.. I would like to give cryptic some info if they do start working on this.

I believe the calidonians may be part of the empire but I actualy dont know of any other races besides the remans that are members of the empire.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Romulans have been shown to be waaaay too paranoid in the past, to have any faction, be anything more than a slave-race to their dominance..., in this game...

Especially with how the whole Hobus Incident is playing out.

I personally don't think we need any other races completely attached to the Official Romulan Faction, other than what few Remans they have control over.

I'd like to see the Dev's develop the Romulans as a completely individual Faction, with perhaps an option to to have Slave BOFF's from other races, available to crew their starships.

Any Romulan BOFF's, should have much higher stats, than Non-Romulan/Reman boffs, when placed in Rommie Ships.

I think part of the new DOFF system should be created in such a way that the crew that one gets when captaining a Romulan ship, should give preferentially higher value, to an all Romulan/Reman crew.

I just think the Romulan Faction should/could be Very Different from how we play a Fed or Klink toon.

I also think that Espionage should be a Very Large Part of the play-style for the Romulan Faction.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    On the other hand you had that group of races that allied against the Federation and I don't believe it had the Klingons in it which would therefore make it a good 3rd faction.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OP: All you can do is blame JJ, man. He screwed up the Romulan Empire (one of the best enemies Trek had to offer). Now they are in fact a bunch of refugees.

All: I don't see why they should be so narrow-minded regarding a new playable faction. I agree, they should finish the Klingons (and Feds btw) before starting another, but I think this third faction should be neutral.. home to traders, merchants, bank alts, rogue pirates etc. etc. In short - not a military faction. And it should be a faction that accepts GPL as currency.

I think that would add a lot to the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    The Romulans have been shown to be waaaay too paranoid in the past, to have any faction, be anything more than a slave-race to their dominance..., in this game...

I personally don't think we need any other races completely attached to the Official Romulan Faction, other than what few Remans they have control over.

I also think that Espionage should be a Very Large Part of the play-style for the Romulan Faction.

Agreed. Romulans and Remans are good enough. Hirogen would probably be added to though, but I hope not.
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I'd like to see the Dev's develop the Romulans as a completely individual Faction, with perhaps an option to to have Slave BOFF's from other races, available to crew their starships.

Any Romulan BOFF's, should have much higher stats, than Non-Romulan/Reman boffs, when placed in Rommie Ships.

I think part of the new DOFF system should be created in such a way that the crew that one gets when captaining a Romulan ship, should give preferentially higher value, to an all Romulan/Reman crew.

I just think the Romulan Faction should/could be Very Different from how we play a Fed or Klink toon.

True but you know that there will be other races in the Romulan empire.

One of my biggest complaints with the Klingon side is the amount of white girls running around in mini skirts.
    I expect the same for Romulans. And if I see a Romulan female running around in skimpy clothes I will scream. They are not elves.

Anyway, I am a Star Trek purist. If you play in the Klingon or Romulan faction than your character should be either Klingon or Romulan respectively.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ggsimmonds wrote: »
    One of my biggest complaints with the Klingon side is the amount of white girls running around in mini skirts.
    I expect the same for Romulans. And if I see a Romulan female running around in skimpy clothes I will scream. They are not.

That just made me shudder
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I expect the same for Romulans. And if I see a Romulan female running around in skimpy clothes I will scream. They are not elves.

Anyway, I am a Star Trek purist. If you play in the Klingon or Romulan faction than your character should be either Klingon or Romulan respectively.

I have no doubt that there are other races that the RSE has subjugated, but unlike the Klingons, I can't see the Romulans ever letting these races be anything more than slaves of the Empire.

I do see the possibility of these other races rising up and attempting to over-throw the Romulan Governour's of their particular planets/star systems, especially with all the in-fighting going on at the moment within the Empire itself... (which would be great Romulan Specific Missions - having to go to a subjugated planet to quell an uprising)... but there shouldn't be Romulan Starships Captained by any other races.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WarpVis wrote: »
    I concur with the OP. I too want the Romulans to be a stand alone faction.

Romulans need their own faction. Romulans are not part of the Klingon empire. Romulans are not Federation. Romulans are Romulans. They have their own culture, their own way of doing things. Trying to weld them onto an entirely different faction... I just don't think it would work.

What were the Romulans in the series? At least from TNG onward, they seemed to be very political. Into political intrigues, etc. Can this type of objective be in some way reflected in gameplay and/or missions? Obviously it would have to fit into the STO timeline and 'world.'

As others have said, it seems like part of the Romulan faction's progression would be in finding a new homeworld or rebuilding on another of their existing worlds. I haven't read the timeline in its entirety and have mostly only seen snippets from the stuff that scrolls at he bottom of the screen when changing maps (mainly when I had 5-10 minute "server not responding" bouts a month or two ago).

So, yeah, it seems like the Romulans resettling and rebuilding should be a major focus. Likewise, their political interactions and machinations with the Remans could certainly be major story point. Either building or breaking ties... And either supporting or ousting Sela could be another story point.

Also, as others have said, we want to see the Romulan ships playable and customizable as much as possible, much like the Federation ships can be hybridized...

Again, I just think he Romulans need to have their own separate faction & storylines. If we were talking about the Borg or the Undine or the Devidians being a playable faction, would we even be having this discussion? Should we weld them onto FED / KDF too? Pfft, dubious. Why, then, would we want to try welding the Rommies on?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have no doubt that there are other races that the RSE has subjugated, but unlike the Klingons, I can't see the Romulans ever letting these races be anything more than slaves of the Empire.

I do see the possibility of these other races rising up and attempting to over-throw the Romulan Governour's of their particular planets/star systems, especially with all the in-fighting going on at the moment within the Empire itself... (which would be great Romulan Specific Missions - having to go to a subjugated planet to quell an uprising)... but there shouldn't be Romulan Starships Captained by any other races.

If the empire was still intact I would agree but not now. I think a move toward a cooperative government would be tremendously popular and stand a chance to solidify the empire before its totally picked apart. I do believe that subdugated races such as the remans could rise to prominance within the new empire. We've already seen entire warbirds crewed by remans. They've already done it so dont come crying to me. I just think with the story arc they've got going it would be a good way to introduce new species to the rom faction with some credibility.
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Agreed, politics and espionage were both big with Rommies throughout the series. Political machinations were big things in the series. Covert ops, deception, etc. I think there could be a fair bit of that, along with general resettlement, rebuilding and attempted maintenance of the RSE by whoever's left vaguely in charge. Maybe there's some democratizing faction that wants to overthrow Sela's totalitarian / authoritarian dictatorship? Again, politics. How exactly it would all work an commingle in terms of game mechanics would be interesting to see.

kresteel wrote:
    If the empire was still intact I would agree but not now. I think a move toward a cooperative government would be tremendously popular and stand a chance to solidify the empire before its totally picked apart. I do believe that subdugated races such as the remans could rise to prominance within the new empire. We've already seen entire warbirds crewed by remans. They've already done it so dont come crying to me. I just think with the story arc they've got going it would be a good way to introduce new species to the rom faction with some credibility.

Maybe there could even be branching storylines where at various points you have to choose sides in some conflict or another within the empire. Either side with Sela, side with a more democratizing force, or stay out of the way and just mind your own business or try to do what's best for your own character. Obviously there would probably be only so many choices or paths. But, still. It could be interesting, playing politics.

Maybe getting different missions based on which path you've chosen? Or playing out the same mission differently or from different perspectives depending on which side you've chosen? Maybe if you're on Sela's side, you're defending a base from the "Democrats--" err, wait no. Or if you're on the other side, you're the ones assaulting the base and trying to overrun it? Or if you're neutral, maybe you're letting the two sides play against each other, trying to sneak in and steal sensitive documents or otherwise take advantage of the situation? Who knows, maybe there's even an internal 'side' that's trying to reunify with the Vulcans? THAT could make for a kind of interesting story... :) We all know, more-or-less that they probably have common ancestry going wa-aay back.

Just a thought. Lots of things that COULD be done. Somehow...
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    havam wrote:
    This is actually my biggest concern right now, it seems we have to fight for remans to be part of the empire. Hirogen appear likely no matter how little sense it make to me or not. I think this would be an important polling question, how important is it for people to have a wide variety of skins for RSE toons??

I'd be happy with Romulans and Remans. If Remans are even part of the "empire" anymore and not their own budding empire after deposing the Romulan senate...

Hirogen? Meh... Doesn't really make sense. And I don't think they'd ever be caught dead letting a Hirogen pilot one of their ships. How / why would that work?

I have no problem with Romulans being "Romulan." They're a pretty closed society, no? A bit xenophobic, etc? I don't think they'd suddenly cede power to other races? Maybe as a survival tactic. But I doubt they'd turn "federation" and suddenly be all warm and fuzzy toward others. So, personally, I don't see a need to have Caitian 'romulans' or Klingon 'romulans' or whatever.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    kresteel wrote:
    $0.02- I am resigned to the idea of a rom/fed or rom/klink characters but please do not allow them to use romulan military hardware. IE- warbirds etc... I am getting a little impatient for some news that this is actually being worked on and not just ... some day....

I say the Rommies need their own faction and that only the Faction should have access to any of the Rommie-specific ships, etc. I have no problem, once there is a functioning Faction with defectors or refugees acting as BOFFs on Fed / Klingon ships in some capacity, just as you could get the Reman officer from the Featured Episodes recently. But, no, I don't think federation or Klingon captains should be able to just willy-nilly fly around in Rommie ships, etc. They've got their own Fed / Klingon ships, which have been a long time in the coming and are specific to those factions. The Rommies should have their own specific ships that only their Faction has access to. Nobody else. (Except maybe as some kind of Holoemitter skins, which would take up a device slot.)
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I have a Gorn with the Klingons, I don't actually play him, but if I did he would be part of the Gorn liberation movement.
  • Options
    edited April 2011

It depends. The romulans were modeled after ancient Rome and the Romans were good at merging other cultures with their own. I could understand other races moving up in the RSE more than I can accept other races doing the same for Klingons.

Having said that however, I do agree that only Romulans should be captains of Romulan vessels. I envision Romulans using the Hirogen and Remans as specialized members of the crew. Remember in Nemesis Riker pointed out that during the Dominion War the Remans were used as cannon fodder/shock troops.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    MGmirkin wrote:
    I'd be happy with Romulans and Remans. If Remans are even part of the "empire" anymore and not their own budding empire after deposing the Romulan senate...

Hirogen? Meh... Doesn't really make sense. And I don't think they'd ever be caught dead letting a Hirogen pilot one of their ships. How / why would that work?

I have no problem with Romulans being "Romulan." They're a pretty closed society, no? A bit xenophobic, etc? I don't think they'd suddenly cede power to other races? Maybe as a survival tactic. But I doubt they'd turn "federation" and suddenly be all warm and fuzzy toward others. So, personally, I don't see a need to have Caitian 'romulans' or Klingon 'romulans' or whatever.

Unless...

1) They conquered a race.
    2) They allied with a race, like the thing I mentioned earlier.
    3) Members of factions joined them.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have a Gorn with the Klingons, I don't actually play him, but if I did he would be part of the Gorn liberation movement.

I don't have much of a problem with Gorn characters because it fits the backstory. But go to Qo'nos and look at the characters of some people. It causes me nerd rage.

I deleted my Klingon character; though I will start another one when season 4 rolls out. I will bring honor back to the Klingon Empire :P
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So has anybody heard anything about when they are likely to start work on this? I read the engineering report and its always the same... they havent even nailed down that the romulans are going to be the next faction.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    kresteel wrote:
    So has anybody heard anything about when they are likely to start work on this? I read the engineering report and its always the same... they havent even nailed down that the romulans are going to be the next faction.

It is nearly a certainty that Romulans are the next faction, but as for a timetable I don't expect them to even begin working on them until after season 5.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It is nearly a certainty that Romulans are the next faction, but as for a timetable I don't expect them to even begin working on them until after season 5.

That would be fantastic! I was thinking it would be in another 30 years or so.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    kresteel wrote:
    That would be fantastic! I was thinking it would be in another 30 years or so.

But don't misunderstand and think that this means season 6 will bring Romulans.

What I meant is that it will not be until after season 5 before the team even starts to begin the faction. That may be when they start working on it, no clue when they finish though
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It would be nice to know when the intend to start working on it. I wouldn't expect a meaningful release date until after they have started.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    all im looking for is a start date
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't have much of a problem with Gorn characters because it fits the backstory. But go to Qo'nos and look at the characters of some people. It causes me nerd rage.

I deleted my Klingon character; though I will start another one when season 4 rolls out. I will bring honor back to the Klingon Empire :P

It may fit the backstory, I still don't have to like it. Just as I do not have to like Romulans being given over to the Feds or KDF.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Igard81 wrote: »
    I think we also need to ask the question, what would a define a Romulan in Starfleet?

A Ferengi SF officer still takes the time to make a profit. Adhering to SF regulations, of course.

A Klingon SF officer still takes the time to wield a Bat'leth, or go to the tournament on Forcas III.

What would make a Romulan a Romulan in SF?

I can't help but get the feeling that those who want Romulan playable toons for SF and KDF, don't really understand or care about Romulans as a Star Trek faction.

Romulans are important. They're one of the original 3 galactic powers and should be treated with as much respect as possible.

I wouldn't be against a Boff reward or something, but to have Romulan Captains in SF is a bit of a stretch. Having them in the KDF is just unthinkable.

Do the right thing Cryptic and CBS. I'm glad that so far, you've done a great job in terms of Romulan content.

No it's not a stretch. Star Trek is about the characters aka people. And people are capable especially in Star Trek of making their own decisions. Just becuase the Tal Shiar is dangerous and can kill you in your sleep if you're outspoken doesn't mean that if you're a Romulan that you're going to be afraid of them. Read the comics and books about Nero for example. Romulans are just as capable of killing each other and defecting as much as they are capable of protecting each other and not defecting. I'm surprised that they haven't had more civil wars and ruthless slaughter of their own species as it is. Think about it. Vulcans are known to be secretive about what they consider private and the Romulans are probably just as worse. They probably have a gazillion secrets about how they killed milions of Romulans for no reason. Just saying. BTW I am NOT against a Romulan faction. By all means you can have one. BUT I do NOT want a Romulan Faction and not be able to play a Romulan in the KDF or Fed. We need the best of both. We need both playable KDF and Fed Romulans and a Romulan Faction at the same time. That's my hope that way both sides be happy.:D
    I'm ranting. Sorry about that, but I really care about what happens to these people.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    CommanderJackson900,
    I don't care if they add playable Romulans to the Feds or the KDF, I just have no interest in playing a Romulan for the Feds or the KDF.

I want a Romulan faction, and playing a Romulan under one of the other flags just is not going to cut it for me.

The story of how the ended up with the Feds or KDF doesn't interest me either. There may very well be Romulans willing to submit to either flag, but be assured the Romulans back home would view them as traitors.

I understand what you're saying. I personally would hope that Cryptic adds both Romulan Faction for Romulan Faction Lovers and adds playable Romulans for KDF and Fed for KDF/Fed playable Romulan Lovers like me so that way both of us can have our cakes and eat it. There problem solved.:D