test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please dont Mess up the Romulans

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hello everyone I originally joined this game with the hope of playing Romulans once they were Released. IN reading the recent Ask Cryptic for February I saw this question bit the answer made me cringe.

Q: m.parsons: Can you tell us what discussions or plans there might be concerning when the Romulans become a playable faction what we can maybe expect?

A: The leads on the project discuss playable Romulans all the time. The biggest concerns that I've pointed out in previous interviews is that it would be very difficult to introduce a new Faction until we feel the Klingon Empire has an improved Faction experience. That said, we still discuss how and when we would introduce the Romulan faction. Obviously, with their homeworld destroyed, it would be interesting where they call "home". The latest Feature Episode series is starting to delve into their story and show just how fractured their people are at the moment. Perhaps the Romulan Empire will split into multiple factions where one will join the Federation and the other the Klingon Empire... That's an interesting idea

DO NOT DO THIS , DO NOT MAKE THE FACTION THAT SHOULD STILL STAND ON ITS OWN A BOOT LICK REFUGEE FACTION ONLY PLAYABLE AS A FED OR iKF FACTION .

If anyone one concurs with me here speak up before they release or even think of this possibility, Example if you go by the Movies Klingons had the Praxis incident and despite temp loss of there home world Just moved to a new location one planet lost even the capital should not destroy the rest of the Romulan Empire.

As you can see my love for this expectant faction is serious and to put it in a lighter note I dont want to be flying Federation or Klingon ships :) . So id anyone out there wants to add your 2 cents please do .

I said shoot it , keep shooting it until you see it explode it is the only way to be sure,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Not quite sure what your saying there OP. Not to be rude or anything, but your grammer skills have lead me to be confused :confused:

Are you just saying that you implore Cryptic to not let the future Romulan faction that'll be out by next year most likely be a failure like the current KDF?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not quite sure what your saying there OP. Not to be rude or anything, but your grammer skills have lead me to be confused :confused:

Are you just saying that you implore Cryptic to not let the future Romulan faction that'll be out by next year most likely be a failure like the current KDF?

Allow me!

He is saying that Romulans should stay on their own, and not be a slave to others. :)

---
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think that this is what's going to happen.

I think there are going to be playable Romulans and Remans for the Feds pretty soon.

The Romulan faction will most likely be Empress Sela's "empire". Let's face it though. THe Romulan faction is going to be gritty and maybe even a little messed up because of two things.

They're on the brink of all out civil war, they were invaded by the Klingons (Read the path to 2409 storyline) which devastated the remaining military. The Remans are no longer subservient. THe former empire is in ruins. Many of the old factions have pretty much fell apart and too be honest, Sela's empire is probably more scavenging then really having any industry. We'll probably play under Sela's rule but it all depends on these upcoming weeklies.

In the end that's my theory anyways.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sernon wrote:
    Allow me!

He is saying that Romulans should stay on their own, and not be a slave to others. :)

---

Exactly and yes sorry for the horrid typing only have one hand to type with as I am dissabled , but yes the main point of it all I was trying to convey, is what was , TY for putting it in a much simpler light.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Exactly and yes sorry for the horrid typing only have one hand to type with as I am dissabled , but yes the main point of it all I was trying to convey, is what was , TY for putting it in a much simpler light.

Not a problem. We might have a little telepathy going after all. ;)

---
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Q: m.parsons: Can you tell us what discussions or plans there might be concerning when the Romulans become a playable faction what we can maybe expect?

A: The leads on the project discuss playable Romulans all the time. The biggest concerns that I've pointed out in previous interviews is that it would be very difficult to introduce a new Faction until we feel the Klingon Empire has an improved Faction experience. That said, we still discuss how and when we would introduce the Romulan faction. Obviously, with their homeworld destroyed, it would be interesting where they call "home". The latest Feature Episode series is starting to delve into their story and show just how fractured their people are at the moment. Perhaps the Romulan Empire will split into multiple factions where one will join the Federation and the other the Klingon Empire... That's an interesting idea

I agree that sorting out the KDF first has got to be the priority but please don't make Romulans just another player skin for the other factions! Romulans have to much background of there own I'd rather wait or have then introduced over time (like KDF).

As for not having a homeworld, as STO is basically an instanced game why not make the tier 1 missions operating out of abandoned star bases to find a homeworld and round up the refugees, tier 2 can be settling the planet and fending of enemies then from tier 3 onwards its all about re establishing the Romulan Empire, this would give the faction a real difference in feel. What does anyone else think?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I am fine seeing a few Romulin "Defectors" who need a place to go, end up on the Federation, or Klingon empire (though they tend to hate Klingons more than Federation in history). But, I think the Empire and Reman equivalent should remain autonomous, and separate from these rogue individuals.

It would be sad to see the Romulin empire disolve into the federation community. I would love to see Romulins conquest a known planet, ousting it's citizens, and rebuild in a way that would fit their culture.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    forresto wrote: »
    I think that this is what's going to happen.
    I think there are going to be playable Romulans and Remans for the Feds pretty soon.

I also think this will happen (small fractions allying with other fractions like Remans for the klinks and Roms for Fed)
    But i also think these will be just "previews" for a new faction (which will most likely be an romulan Star Empire combined with true way parts if the clues from the last featured episode are meant to be serious)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    i cant wait for feds vs klingons vs romulans in pvp ,that will be very fun , i enjoy dropimg klingons any way and the romulans would give the klingons more to fear so please bring in the romulans , you babyed the klingons enough.... o thanks for a great game
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think the idea of Romulans and Remans joining the two existing factions would be best for the pvp ques, and for story missions.

As long as the following happens

1 Romulans and Remans have their own story lines and start locations.

2. Their ships are introduced into the game for player control. And those ships are sufficiently different from KDF and Fed ships.

I think that just about covers it, and I'd embrace it.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I concur with the OP. I too want the Romulans to be a stand alone faction.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hopefully they were testing the waters. I mean at the end he goes "that's an interesting idea" but it's not. It's a horrible, horrible idea. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    WarpVis wrote: »
    I concur with the OP. I too want the Romulans to be a stand alone faction.

As much as I would love to agree to this, sheer practicality has to kick in at some point. This game doesn't have enough subs to fill three types of pvp ques. It doesn't even have enough to fill the two factions it does have most of the time.

best way to keep pvp going would be to fold them into the two factions. It also would work the best story wise for the amount of effort involved.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I also bought the game with the intention of playing for the romulan faction. Now a year in, my impatience has caused me to do this. OP please don't slap me for it!:P
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I hate to say this but the Romulan Empire is gone. The same goes for the Cardassian Union. Both are splintered empires. Both have two factions now. Both have one faction that opposes the Federation and one that in some small way supports the Federation. I think that mini factions make sense. You can still play a Romulan/Cardassian (when and if those factions are released) and you get to choose what side you want to play for. I personally like this idea. I would like to see (if this happens) the ability to fly said faction ships for either the Federation/Klingons. I can't see the STO dev team developing full fledged factions for either the Romulans or Cardassians. It would be nice to see it happen but I think we have to accept reality and perhaps make peace with mini factions.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Quiskota wrote:
    I also bought the game with the intention of playing for the romulan faction. Now a year in, my impatience has caused me to do this. OP please don't slap me for it!:P

I have done the same thing with my main (He is Cardassian) and with his bridge officers. I have one Romulan and a few Cardassian BO's.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think by...
    Perhaps the Romulan Empire will split into multiple factions where one will join the Federation and the other the Klingon Empire...

... he doesn't mean that both the KDF and Starfleet will get playable Romulans, rather that there could be a Romulan faction comprised of two "sub-factions" (such as the Romulan Star Empire and the Imperial Romulan State, a la the Path to 2409) which will ally themselves accordingly. Personally I think this would work better for the better-defined sub-factions of the Cardassians (the Union and the True Way) as opposed to the Romulans, which I believe were re-integrated under one senate in '85. Also, after Hobus the new capital was established on Rator III.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I agree. The Romulans should be a stand alone faction. If there is significant worry over content for the Romulans then I think Romulans characters should just start out at a higher rank maybe even Captain. Then the Devs can create content to get them from Captain to whatever the Romulan equivalent of Vice Admiral is and then focus on end-game repeatable content that all three factions can participate in.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I hate to say this but the Romulan Empire is gone. The same goes for the Cardassian Union. Both are splintered empires. Both have two factions now. Both have one faction that opposes the Federation and one that in some small way supports the Federation. I think that mini factions make sense. You can still play a Romulan/Cardassian (when and if those factions are released) and you get to choose what side you want to play for. I personally like this idea. I would like to see (if this happens) the ability to fly said faction ships for either the Federation/Klingons. I can't see the STO dev team developing full fledged factions for either the Romulans or Cardassians. It would be nice to see it happen but I think we have to accept reality and perhaps make peace with mini factions.

The Romulan Star Empire consisted of numerous planets, some say more than 50 member worlds, and three to four times that number of conquered worlds. How can the removal of one system shatter the entire empire? It is like saying that all those Romulans had no identity, or common culture. That is quite frankly absurd.

---
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Cast your vote for which option you would like to see:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=201508
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think what Stahl is hinting at is a bit of a three-fer:
    I'm pretty sure that, when we do get playable Romulans (which is gonna be well after the Klingon faction gets all the sweet treatment the devs have been working on), they will totally be their own faction. But, like many others here, I'm of the opinion that the main faction will be composed of the Romulans under Sela's heel.
    What Stahl could be reffering to is the hinting that, when Romulans become a playable faction, we may also see Romulans in the Federation and maybe even the KDF (maybe just some Remans, considering how much they hate the Romulans).
    It's no secret that, right now in-game, it's clear that there are Romulans who want to have nothing to do with the former Empire. Romulans that would actually consider joining the Federation. You protect one of these worlds from Reman raiders at one point, and visit another to help a sickened populace. Plus, the whole Reunification sect is still running around. those guys would probably be staunch supporters of joining the Federation.
    Dunno what motivations a sect of Romulans would have to join the KDF, but I'd love to see it explained, at least.
    But this is just my two cents. I'm quite sure that the Romulan Star Empire will be its own fully-fleshed out player faction, just like Starfleet and the KDF. I'm just saying that people may not be taking enough from what Stahl is saying, lol.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ARGHHHHhh!!!

Are we so desperate for playable romulans and remans that we would settle for playing some spineless defector? The empire may be leaderless at the moment but if is FAR from gone. Like many here I have been long awaiting the introduction of romulans as a playable faction. I am growing impatient but I will not stick around and be silent while the desperate and temporarily insane hijack my personal favorite faction and turn it into a second rate 3rd world family of rejects and refugees. Romulans will not stand for this. They are used to being down and out. This is a minor setback. It is an eventuality that a strong leader will emerge. There is evidence for this in all of the romulan missions. I say to criptic and the other fans like me please be patient and trust that taking the time to do this right will pay off in the end. I have alot of faith that the community and the devs want to see this done right. And as part of the community, I say to the devs, My op is nothing less than a fully independent playable romulan faction would be ok.

rant over.... thank you for your attention.

Jo'lan True B*tches
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I said it before and I'll say it again that the Conflict between the seperatist Romulans, the Sela loyalists and the Remans should remain an internal matter. Open pvp between the three splinter factions part of their play mechanic.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I would much prefer that Romulans get their own empire and faction. But sadly I don't thing Cryptic has devoted the resources to STO to give the Devs a chance of making this happen. The KDF is still waiting on an experience anywhere near as good as the Federation side and its been a long long wait and still not there. So its unlikely the devs have the people to work on a whole new faction and flesh it out in any meaningful way.

With that in mind the only logical way to get Romulans, Remans, Cardassians, Dominion or whatever faction you like into the game is to have them as C-store options as either Fed of KDF.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Costello wrote: »
    I would much prefer that Romulans get their own empire and faction. But sadly I don't thing Cryptic has devoted the resources to STO to give the Devs a chance of making this happen. The KDF is still waiting on an experience anywhere near as good as the Federation side and its been a long long wait and still not there. So its unlikely the devs have the people to work on a whole new faction and flesh it out in any meaningful way.

With that in mind the only logical way to get Romulans, Remans, Cardassians, Dominion or whatever faction you like into the game is to have them as C-store options as either Fed of KDF.

If I were a teenager I would call you a name or something but I am not so I'll just say.... Don't do it!!! If we settle on this we may never have a romulan faction to play. Just green Vulcans. I would rather there be no romulan faction than have to be happy with playing defectors. Take a few deep breaths and think about it. This is a critical point. Cryptic has said they are going to implement romulans we just have to be patient. Don't go for the instant gratification. Wait and it will be much better.

Jo'lan True B*tches
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    In mi opinion they should kill Sela and make a new Pretor, and came back to the old structure of government of the Empire (Pretor and Senators) and Rator III should stay as the new capital.

I agree with OP, i think the Romulans should go back to their old glory, i dont want them to be part of the Federation or even worst, the Klingons.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    We need to ask what Cryptic/Atari can do for us, not what we can do for them. Concessions will automatically insert themselves, let's just not start at the bottom, and sink even deeper. It's the wrong way around.

Better to put the bar at a lofty place, and *then* discuss terms with the Atari stockholders. ;)

---
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Cerritouru wrote: »
    In mi opinion they should kill Sela and make a new Pretor, and came back to the old structure of government of the Empire (Pretor and Senators) and Rator III should stay as the new capital.

I agree with OP, i think the Romulans should go back to their old glory, i dont want them to be part of the Federation or even worst, the Klingons.

I am loyal to Sela!

Besides, Romulan Ale is great for your hair growth! You should try some when the windy clouds subsides gently in the breeze of the misty morning. To walk under the light of our glorious leadership!

---

[ Decoding secret message in the above paragraph.... stand by..... The military cannot exist without the people. The power lies with the people, not the military. Some of us understand this, we must take action soon. This message will now auto-destruct..... *BOOM* ]

---
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sernon wrote:
    The Romulan Star Empire consisted of numerous planets, some say more than 50 member worlds, and three to four times that number of conquered worlds. How can the removal of one system shatter the entire empire? It is like saying that all those Romulans had no identity, or common culture. That is quite frankly absurd.

---

With its homeworld destroyed, Remans and Romulans at each others throats, infighting between the Romulans on how and who is to rule the Empire (Preator or Monarchy) I think the it is safe to say that as a political powerhouse the Empire is dead. I liken it to the fall of the Soviet Union. The culture is still there but as a political entity it is useless.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    With its homeworld destroyed, Remans and Romulans at each others throats, infighting between the Romulans on how and who is to rule the Empire (Preator or Monarchy) I think the it is safe to say that as a political powerhouse the Empire is dead. I liken it to the fall of the Soviet Union. The culture is still there but as a political entity it is useless.

And how pray, does this make the Soviets, I mean Russians, join the US, and China?

---