What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ready for my new signature

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Nice. There's some really good pics here. gj.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    sorry for being such a bone head ... but .. I just checked my account and the signature edit:
    . Can upload images for signatures: NO
    . Can upload animated GIF for signatures: NO

I can understand the animated stuff .. but images ?

Hmmm

Does that mean we use the "insert images" icon at the top of the signature box?? (sorry . I know that is really dumb .. BUT the LAST thing I want to do is upload something when I really don't have permission !! )

Looks like I need to update my image anyways .. 500 x 188 (it was based off an old siggy I had ) .. should be an easy fix.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OlBuzzard wrote:
    sorry for being such a bone head ... but .. I just checked my account and the signature edit:
    . Can upload images for signatures: NO
    . Can upload animated GIF for signatures: NO

I can understand the animated stuff .. but images ?

Hmmm

Does that mean we use the "insert images" icon at the top of the signature box?? (sorry . I know that is really dumb .. BUT the LAST thing I want to do is upload something when I really don't have permission !! )

Allow Basic BBCode Yes
    Allow Color BBCode Yes
    Allow Size BBCode Yes
    Allow Font BBCode Yes
    Allow Alignment BBCode Yes
    Allow List BBCode Yes
    Allow Link BBCode Yes
    Allow HTML No
    Allow Code Yes
    Allow Code BBCode Yes
    Allow PHP BBCode Yes
    Allow HTML BBCode Yes
    Allow Quote BBCode Yes
    Allow Smilies Yes
    Can Upload Images for Signature No
    Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No

These are the permissions concerning your signature. Note the ones I've highlighted

You CAN use BBCode. you CAN use the tags, (and yes, you can use the "insert image" button) butyou can't upload an image and store it on the STO server. That means you'll need to find an image host, to host the picture for you.

Someplace like http://imageshack.us or http://www.tinypic.com may suit your needs.. or perhaps you have a free webhosting site where you can upload the image.
    OlBuzzard wrote:
    Looks like I need to update my image anyways .. 500 x 188 (it was based off an old siggy I had ) .. should be an easy fix.

While you're at it, there are several specific RULES governing graphical signatures that you should be aware of, that aren't posted on the "Edit my Signature" page. Failing to adhere to these rules can earn you a forum infraction. infractions never expire, so be sure you follow the rules.
    • Images must be in .jpg format only. (PNG, GIF, etc are NOT acceptable)
    • Images (if posted without text) must be no larger than 50kb. (use the compression setting on the jpg save dialog)
    • The Image's dimensions must be not more than 500px wide and not more than150px tall.
    • Text (if posted without images) can not be more than 5 lines
    • While the rule states "Image OR Text", it has been stated by the mods that images and text may be combined, but the image must get progressively smaller relative to the amount of text. A community-authored suggestion is that for every 1 line of text, you should subtract 1/5 of the allowable image height (30px). a visual guide is available here.
    • Multiple images can be used, however the combined total visual space, and image filesize cannot exceed the rules listed above. So for example, 2 images, 250px x 150, at 25kb each, if rendered side-by-side forming a 500x150 rectangle, WOULD be acceptable. If rendered one-atop-the-other, forming a 250x300 rectangle, it would be in violation.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Podsix

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. We are good to go on everything aside from the method to load the signature/picture. I have a very good version of photoshop. Adjusting the size, then saving it as an optimized file for web use will be easy. ( Over all it's a simple one really, but all my stuff 100% from scratch ). I should be able to get it taken care of this evening when I have access to the file.

I have my own web site and the server is managed by my #1 son ... and he's given me the green light to post as much as I need to ... including signatures.

BTW... thanks for such a response !! Much appreciated !
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PodSix wrote:
    • While the rule states "Image OR Text", it has been stated by the mods that images and text may be combined, but the image must get progressively smaller relative to the amount of text. A community-authored suggestion is that for every 1 line of text, you should subtract 1/5 of the allowable image height (30px). a visual guide is available here.
    • Multiple images can be used, however the combined total visual space, and image filesize cannot exceed the rules listed above. So for example, 2 images, 250px x 150, at 25kb each, if rendered side-by-side forming a 500x150 rectangle, WOULD be acceptable. If rendered one-atop-the-other, forming a 250x300 rectangle, it would be in violation.

Ooooh! That's a VERY neat guide on Text+Image there, thanks to the folks who made the picture. :)
    Also: Wishy stamp of approval to your posting, PodSix. *hands you a mug of hot cocoa*

OlBuzzard: Don't worry, we all sometimes need to ask for help. And I am sure we have a lot of folks who'd jump you when you put in your signature the line "I can't know how to mage a nice signature image, wanna make me one?" :D
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OlBuzzard wrote:
    Podsix

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. We are good to go on everything aside from the method to load the signature/picture. I have a very good version of photoshop. Adjusting the size, then saving it as an optimized file for web use will be easy. ( Over all it's a simple one really, but all my stuff 100% from scratch ). I should be able to get it taken care of this evening when I have access to the file.

I have my own web site and the server is managed by my #1 son ... and he's given me the green light to post as much as I need to ... including signatures.

BTW... thanks for such a response !! Much appreciated !

The code syntax should look like this:
    /B]img[Bhttp://www.yoursite.com/image.jpg/B]/img[B

If you're using text, or links, you do that as normal using the BBCode rules. If you wanted to make your signature image INTO a clickable link, you'd do it like this:

/B]url=http://www.yoursite.com/[B/B]img[Bhttp://www.yoursite.com/image.jpg/B]/img[B/B]/url[B
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    Ooooh! That's a VERY neat guide on Text+Image there, thanks to the folks who made the picture. :)
    Also: Wishy stamp of approval to your posting, PodSix. *hands you a mug of hot cocoa*

OlBuzzard: Don't worry, we all sometimes need to ask for help. And I am sure we have a lot of folks who'd jump you when you put in your signature the line "I can't know how to mage a nice signature image, wanna make me one?" :D

I made the graphical guide there, and you're more than welcome. Please feel free to share it around if you like.

/me sips her cocoa. :p
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Very neat, PodSix!
    I'll totally share this with Stormy and Jahia, in case anyone wonders what we say we'll allow and what not, it's a great guide to aim for. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    Very neat, PodSix!
    I'll totally share this with Stormy and Jahia, in case anyone wonders what we say we'll allow and what not, it's a great guide to aim for. :)

I agree ... might not be a bad idea to find a place to copy/paste and sticky for folks to have later on after the initial star up is done. (just my own thoughts on that)

PodSix: thanks again

[/salute]

(now then .. I have a few Klingon models to work on and post some WIP on them this evening as well.)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OlBuzzard wrote:
    I have a few Klingon models to work on

That reminds me of the one other "gotcha" on signatures, and the "grey area".

Signatures must only contain English. No German or French signatures.

This same ruling should apply to Latin quotations as well (even well known, and canon ones: Semper Fidelis, Ex Astra Scientia, etc). I'm going to assume that this also forbids extensive use of Old English. Whether this applies to including fleet or ship names in your signature has not been directly stated.

For that matter, no ruling been made concerning Romanized Klingon, Klingon symbols, Romulan symbols (such as those in the Romulan logo), Borg code, Vulcan swirlies, or other such "fantasy languages". I suspect that the moderators' silence on this issue suggests that this may be one of the "grey areas" where they will individually choose whether to look the other way.. or not.

This is one of those rules that I personally don't like, but I will adhere to because I don't want to earn an infraction.
    My advice to anyone making a graphical signature, is to use English at all times.

If you're a Klingon (for example), I suggest using one of the fonts that "looks like Klingon, but is still readable english" (The fonts KLSTILLE and KLSCRIPT on this site, for example: http://star-trek-fonts.fanspace.com/) rather than using canon Klingon symbols, in the Klingon Language arrangement. Canon Klingon symbols might also be arranged in such a way to appear as English.. (using a Klingon symbol that appears to be an "E" as an "E").

It would be silly to risk a forum infraction, over something so easy to avoid.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PodSix wrote:

Signatures must only contain English. No German or French signatures.

This same ruling should apply to Latin quotations as well (even well known, and canon ones: Semper Fidelis, Ex Astra Scientia, etc). I'm going to assume that this also forbids extensive use of Old English. Whether this applies to including fleet or ship names in your signature has not been directly stated.

For that matter, no ruling been made concerning Romanized Klingon, Klingon symbols, Romulan symbols (such as those in the Romulan logo), Borg code, Vulcan swirlies, or other such "fantasy languages". I suspect that the moderators' silence on this issue suggests that this may be one of the "grey areas" where they will individually choose whether to look the other way.. or not.

What exactly is the logic by this (By this, I mean cryptic's rule, I agree with your logic PodSix)? To make it easier to police? sheesh. Google Translation.

Seriously. Bigotry is backward. I feel like this is totally unfair to the non-english speaking STO players/forum goers.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What exactly is the logic by this (By this, I mean cryptic's rule, I agree with your logic PodSix)? To make it easier to police? sheesh. Google Translation.

Seriously. Bigotry is backward. I feel like this is totally unfair to the non-english speaking STO players/forum goers.

Unfair or not, it's the rules. While I don't have to agree with the rules, I choose to operate within the rules, rather than risk possible banning from these forums. I would encourage anyone unhappy with the rule to comply with it nonetheless.

As has been stated numerous times, the non-english sections of the forums already saw relatively little use, and the costs of maintaining adequately fluent moderators is obviously something that Cryptic/Atari can't justify. There are plenty of third-party forums, and quite a few that service French and German players. And I'm sure they have their own rules on those forums as well.

Don't ascribe to bigotry what can be adequately explained by a desperate lack of staff and funding in difficult economic times

PS: Devs.. I think we need a "Third party Websites" section of the forums, or something. Someplace where foreign-language third party forums, fleet websites, and other such resources (STOWIki for example) can be highlighted for players to find.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It has zero to do with bigoty or similar. I am German. I can read some French, some Spanish. I'll butcher half of it, but I could manage. That's three languages besides English. Other members of the moderation staff cannot. And there are SO MANY more languages out there.

Also: While Google Translate is an absolutely AMAZING translation platform, it cannot replace knowing a language proper. Languages are alive and they can have nouances and finer points that a plain by-the-book translation simply cannot convey.

To be able to moderate our community, we have set the rule that we only allow English on these English forums. That way we can 'audit' foreign language posts by removing them. We do not know 100% what was said. Was it an insult? Instruction on how to hack? A call to remove my hot chocolate mug? The funniest joke ever? We do not know for sure, so we will remove it.
    And to make sure people know in advance we will, we have this rule in place. (By the way: We have had this rule in place on the Cryptic boards since before 2008.)

I guess what PodSix wrote could even be paraphrased as:
    • Your signature and forum avatar may not break any of the other forum rules.

If you post a signature telling people to harass another player, it is a violation. if you use your signature to link to a 'gold seller', it is a violation. If you use your signature to swear up a storm, it is a violation.
    That should however be rather much logical. :) Your signature counts as part of your posts. (And the same goes for your Avatar!)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PodSix wrote:
    Unfair or not, it's the rules. While I don't have to agree with the rules, I choose to operate within the rules, rather than risk possible banning from these forums. I would encourage anyone unhappy with the rule to comply with it nonetheless.

As has been stated numerous times, the non-english sections of the forums already saw relatively little use, and the costs of maintaining adequately fluent moderators is obviously something that Cryptic/Atari can't justify. There are plenty of third-party forums, and quite a few that service French and German players. And I'm sure they have their own rules on those forums as well.

Don't ascribe to bigotry what can be adequately explained by a desperate lack of staff and funding in difficult economic times

I understand the logic behind close the forums. But Signatures are something different.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    Wishy stamp of approval to your posting, PodSix. *hands you a mug of hot cocoa*
    WishStone wrote:
    A call to remove my hot chocolate mug?
    You've brought this issue of Hot Cocoa up enough now... that I would now like my character ingame to carry a cup of Hot Chocolate, when not in combat. Preferrably to spill on anyone with the rank of Captain, as often as possible. I'm sure you can knock on someone's door and make this happen. :D :cool:

(just kidding... well... mostly)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    obsolete post
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I second this!

*takes WishStones mug of hot chocolate to make a trade at a later date*...*runs*
  • Options
    edited April 2011

sula ghlaonn t
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    We do not know 100% what was said. Was it an insult? Instruction on how to hack? A call to remove my hot chocolate mug? The funniest joke ever? We do not know for sure, so we will remove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpjk_MaCGM
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    is my sig ok?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    It has zero to do with bigoty or similar. I am German. I can read some French, some Spanish. I'll butcher half of it, but I could manage. That's three languages besides English. Other members of the moderation staff cannot. And there are SO MANY more languages out there.

Also: While Google Translate is an absolutely AMAZING translation platform, it cannot replace knowing a language proper. Languages are alive and they can have nouances and finer points that a plain by-the-book translation simply cannot convey.

To be able to moderate our community, we have set the rule that we only allow English on these English forums. That way we can 'audit' foreign language posts by removing them. We do not know 100% what was said. Was it an insult? Instruction on how to hack? A call to remove my hot chocolate mug? The funniest joke ever? We do not know for sure, so we will remove it.
    And to make sure people know in advance we will, we have this rule in place. (By the way: We have had this rule in place on the Cryptic boards since before 2008.)

I guess what PodSix wrote could even be paraphrased as:
    • Your signature and forum avatar may not break any of the other forum rules.

If you post a signature telling people to harass another player, it is a violation. if you use your signature to link to a 'gold seller', it is a violation. If you use your signature to swear up a storm, it is a violation.
    That should however be rather much logical. :) Your signature counts as part of your posts. (And the same goes for your Avatar!)

An insulting instruction on how to hack your hot chocolate mug that makes everybody laugh? Are you sure there is only hot chocolate in that mug?:eek:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Intrepidox wrote: »
    is my sig ok?

No. :(
    It's a PNG. needs to be a JPG. :p

Also, it may well violate the Trolling rule.. of course that would be up to the Mods to decide.
    Flaming and/or Trolling – 1 point
    You may not post content which contains insults to other users or Atari Staff, are specifically made to create undue discontent on the forums, disturbances in forum threads, pick fights or otherwise promote unfriendly conversation.

Remember that your signature image instantly becomes attached to every post you ever made in any thread you ever posted to. So that garish colour block suddenly appeared attached to all 500 of your posts. Not very friendly just to make your point, was it?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've done up my sig, just wanted to see what people thought.
    I think its a "valid" sig - image + text.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    hello.... testing ...

[/thumps screen]

testing ... one .. two !

(hears feed back from speakers)

Is this thing on ????

AH !! There it is ! ( not the best work to date ... but will do for now !)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ^--- looken good :)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Some pretty first class sig pics up in here!
    :eek:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It is. It's an inside joke. When I was in my first year of school I had a problem of using the comma too much. The professor put on my paper "Woah! Slow down there Commadore Bob!"

Edit: BTW, I totally stole your sig and put it on Facebook.

I stole it too, don't remember from where though. Pass it on. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Add me to the list of people who have disabled signatures. Since this is a Feedback forum thread I figured I would also cast my feedback vote.

It is bad enough that most text signatures are MUCH larger than most user's posts to begin with. Now with these new signature images, that issue is compounded even more. Many people who once had simple, small signatures, now have maximum sized (sometimes gaudy) images below their one sentence posts.

Oh well :(

And yes I am keeping my one line signature ;) .
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Vaith wrote: »
    Add me to the list of people who have disabled signatures. Since this is a Feedback forum thread I figured I would also cast my feedback vote.

It is bad enough that most text signatures are MUCH larger than most user's posts to begin with. Now with these new signature images, that issue is compounded even more. Many people who once had simple, small signatures, now have maximum sized (sometimes gaudy) images below their one sentence posts.

Oh well :(

And yes I am keeping my one line signature ;) .

It's spelled "Troi," BTW.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's spelled "Troi," BTW.

It doesn't matter anymore because I can't see it! :o:p

::EDIT::

Fixed. But I do blame Apple's Safari Spell check, and my habit of using the first suggestion ;)

Thanks for the note :)