Install Arc
Options

STO BOT (I've seen it!)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    ocharni wrote: »
    i dont see any indication for botting here, might be just a guy who did some lazy mob grinding with the mind numbing chat and whispers turned off ... i know i did that ...

Yeah there are people who, when grinding, go into grind mode and might do other stuff while doing the grind.
    I remember doing this in the MMOs ive played. Put on some music, watching series, while grinding lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Judging by the rage the other posters dropped on you OP. I wouldn't do anything. Eventually the gold sellers that are already spamming everyone and their brother will have enough bots running that everyone will understand. And with Cryptic's customer support response time it could be 6 months to a year before they even take notice. By that time I would imagine the spammers could amass a fleet of them and then everyone will get to enjoy gaming with bots.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    FYI - The chat is flooded with gold spammers and it is nearly impossible to keep track of conversations. Therefore, until they do a better job of cracking down on spammers, I will not likely be participating in conversations.

Next, I quite often use disruptors (beam weapons) to burn down shields. Then kick in the Torps after. This is a common tactic because firing torps at shields is a waste of time.

Next, I have had to do missions where I was 15 levels above it because there was little for me to do for a period of time.

So report me if you wish, but I guarantee, I am playing 100% of the time. Except during auto flights in Sector Space. At which point I can be found getting a drink or taking a bio.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    swav wrote:
    might not be a bot heres the reasons

1. no responce i dont like you
    2. no full impulse "i'm not in a rush"
    3. anomalies there TRIBBLE any way
    4. i like green death
    5. quit your moaning for god sakes

I hate to say it, but other than full impulse, this is exactly how i play. And using full impulse if the targets are close together just drains power from my guns.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Artefaktum wrote: »
    So like in any other Game STO has it's exploiters.
    Some days ago I was in an open instance with an other guy and he was 100% behaving like a bot.
    1) Not talking for 30 min (even when talked to for a dozen times)
    2) never using full impulse while flying around the planet
    3) never scanning for anomalies
    4) used only disruptors as weapons which you don't have to time properly (like torpedos)
    5) 3-4 lvl to high for the instance (so the bot wouldn't get hurt

I still remember his ingame name.
    So what is the policy of STO? What to do?

It might not be a bot

1: I very rarely chat with people (I chat with my friends and those I team up with more than one mission with there are way too many people playing to make 1000's of new friends. I prefer to make new freinds on sto with tose I likes play style. Half the time if no one I know is on I don't even glance at the chat widows.

2 I sometimes do not use full impulse if my ship is shot up giving me time to build back up.

3: i do not scan for anomalites if it is not the mission requirement as I hate running off with a full load of items to Memorry Alpha and waiste my time building TRIBBLE I do not need. I sell what I get in exchange in groups of 10 just to get rid of them and let those that enjoy that part do so.

4 I know sometimes the level controls for instances just does not work I have been auto teamed with players up to 15 lvs above me in a instance wich the system then lvl the npc's to there level. sucks for you then and you end up dying alot lol. When it happens now I just chnge instances or go do some other mission.

anyway not saying it is a bot or is not just saying everyone does not play the way you might think they should that is the great thing about online playing you meet 1000's and everyone plays different. Somethings I like and try myself other things i ignore and do it my way.

have fun either way.:D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Some days ago I was in an open instance with an other guy and he was 100% behaving like a bot.
    4) used only disruptors as weapons which you don't have to time properly (like torpedos)

1) The only time I even look at chat is sector space while I'm autopiloting to the next encounter, and even then most times I try to ignore it in fear of the stupidity rubbing off on me.

2) Maybe they don't want to enter battle with all their power settings at "5". Sounds like a smart player to me.

3) The so called crafting system in this game is a big, steaming pile. Many people don't bother with anomalies.

4) All energy weapon loadouts are perfectly viable, especially for ships that have the turning ability of a planet.

5) Every single group/fleet action I've done most players are above the level and often by that much, and even more.

Please do make a fool of yourself appealing every player that meets your bot criteria.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    update

just some more details:
    1) he was in my Team. I told him many times how to use the full impulse via team channel. why?
    2) because we were 2 guys in instance with one big planet in the middle and we had to fly more then 100 (million km or what is it?) and without full speed it takes several minutes.
    the ships were many an powerfull so I couldn't go alone after them. I had to full impulse to the ships attack them and fly all the way back to this guy. he strted attacking them when they were near. he never made the "first contact"
    3) ok anomalies are **** and this is irrelevant
    4) it seemed he had no other weapon but dual disruptors
    5) it was a patrol the system mission. we were 2 guys. he had no problems killing the ships and was very idle

so what would be evidence for a bot in your opponion?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Guess I am a bot too since I mostly hang out in /fleet which I got in a separate tab that doesnt display, zone privates etc.

I also revisit places or help out friends in lower tiers occasionally like a good fleetmate should so you'll also find me "botting" in bot safe low tier zones in my tier 4 intrepid.

etc.

1) Ever consider that person just isn't interested in talking to you, doesn't speak the language you are pm ing him with or has chat disables or configged tabs which eg dont display tells just fleet, like I do.

2) I occasionally forgo impulse, especially farming data samples, full impulse makes it impossible for me to read my book while farming. It's too fast to read and fly at the same time.

3) well that doesn't count for me, personally if I'd ever be interested in a bot it would be one specifically to scan and farm anomalies. I like the the upgrades you can get with them but hate the farming (hence the non full impulse and reading while doing so under item 2)

4) You can have a potential bot spam all abilities as far as coding would go anything is possible just emulate the keypresses of a player, no reason why a good bot would not be able to use torps. This is more a personal preference thing I think.

5) There are so many reasons why someone would be in a lower lvl or even lower tier zone/mission/fleet action etc.
    -has to be mentioned, some people just suck and dont get better, they need the lower level enemies not to die constantly.. hey its a reason, a valid one and it happens.
    -Helping out lower level fleetmates, dont see a reason to have fleets/guilds if its not to help and play together.
    -Going back to content skipped or previously bugged/unavailable.
    -Redoing missions for partial xp.
    -it just happens to be an area/mission you like to do more than once or twice.

Edit
    On a side note should have read the update about the specific case,report it and let the devs figure out if it's a bot. Could be a bookreader like me though :P but I wouldn't be so a-social in a team.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I almost never use Full Impulse when going from one enemy group to the next. Even if I do, I will usually slow down wtih enough distance for my energy levels to stabilize before fighting. I don't really understand why people go into a fight at Full Impulse. You're barely going to be doing any damage at all when you start the fight, so you might as well take it slower.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

just some more details:
    1) he was in my Team. I told him many times how to use the full impulse via team channel. why?
    2) because we were 2 guys in instance with one big planet in the middle and we had to fly more then 100 (million km or what is it?) and without full speed it takes several minutes.
    the ships were many an powerfull so I couldn't go alone after them. I had to full impulse to the ships attack them and fly all the way back to this guy. he strted attacking them when they were near. he never made the "first contact"
    5) it was a patrol the system mission. we were 2 guys. he had no problems killing the ships and was very idle

Well, while it certainly sounds like something you would expect from a bot, it's not proof.

No chatting? Maybe he was on a Fleet Channel and had Zone, Local and so forth cut off.

No torps? Maybe he doesn't have any torps installed.

No anomalies? Maybe he couldn't care less about that.

I would honestly expect a bot to be more like +10 or +20. Plus 3 or 4 is certainly no guarantee that the bot wouldn't get hurt. Actually getting hurt probably would be irrelevant to a botter, as I would imagine the bot would just respawn and start again; but being +10, 20 or 30 over would certainly speed up the killing process.

The Full Impulse things seems weird, but who knows.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well someone may have said ths but I didn't want to look over all the pages to see, in my defense though I did check the entire first page...

But like everyone else said as far as legitimate reasons go, one I thought of was that maybe they didnt use full impulse because it drains all your other systems momentarily. I know that kills me in the borg hunt missions. (which even though I've beat it with other players many times I never get credit for the war zone mission, "Salvaged Relationships in the Neutral Zone"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hate to break it to you but I don't even have my chat area open. Just because I don't reply to you doesn't mean I'm a bot. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I almost never use Full Impulse when going from one enemy group to the next. Even if I do, I will usually slow down wtih enough distance for my energy levels to stabilize before fighting. I don't really understand why people go into a fight at Full Impulse. You're barely going to be doing any damage at all when you start the fight, so you might as well take it slower.

he nerver went into full impulse! for at least 30 min may be longer
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's when you stay infront of the bot and steal all the kills.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ridfrenzy wrote: »
    Omg I Am A Bot, I Didn't Realise :'(

Your identity has been confirmed and a new personality will be uploaded shortly. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010

My opinion, let's see...

#1 - When my chat window is NOT minimized, I still ONLY ever see Fleet/Guild/System messages. Everything else is turned off.

#5 - I was flying patrol missions last night, all of which were well below my current level, 8 to 10 levels if I recall correctly. They were all missions that I somehow overlooked and never completed while leveling up. So I had to go back to the newbie areas and complete them.

#4 - I only used beams, set to auto-fire. I didn't need to use any torps or tactics, or even have any concern about the size of the fleet I was engaging.

#3 - While doing all of this I never scanned any anomalies. I didn't want to fill up my inventory with useless/low resale value junk.

#2 - You got me there. I used full impulse as much as feasibly possible. I was already annoyed that I overlooked the the quests. I didn't want to spend any more time doing them than I had to.

To sum up, your observations cannot really be used to determine if someone is a bot or not. You darn near described my activity. I am not a bot.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hmm...

Regardless of whether or not he's a bot, am I the only one that really, really can't care less if someone is botting?

I mean, the fact that he's botting isn't really impacting my enjoyment of the game. If he's paying a monthly fee to have a program play for him, hey, that's pretty TRIBBLE, but to each his own.

I'd rather have levelling bots over someone who just sits afk and occasionally move his mouse in defend missions to farm xp off of other people's work.

Want to bot? Sure. I'll just stay behind you and steal your kills.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    FreyarH wrote: »
    I don't know. I occasionally minimize and ignore chat at times, and I have on a number of occasions just lazily floated around using phasers only. Typically when I'm reading something else or chatting on Steam.

1) I as well often minimize chat or am watching my chat tabs exclusively for either System Messages or Combat Messages. I have 5 chat tabs for different things. Sometimes I also just watch my Team Chat as that has my Wispers in from my friends. Zone is it's own chat because it can be, well overwhelming.

As well, as was the case with me for the past 24 hours, they could have also been Squelched by the automated system that some players are abusing to make good folk unable to chat.

2) I also do not use Full Impulse very often on most maps for the fact that if I fly into mobs at full impulse, my power levels are severely drained and I sustain quite a large amount of damage until my power levels readjust themselves.

3) If I am in a low level mission or instance, I just skip the anomolies. I have hundreds already banked.

4) Again, if a low level instance, I usually just fire my beams, they're usually enough. My lasers usually take them out before the torps get there anyway or I just don't feel like turning my ship to target them and sit there while they circle me, slowly dieing.

5) I still go in secures that are up to -15 to me because I haven't grinded them and they still give me decent skill point rewards for completing the missions. Same with lower level missions I passed over, whether by choice or accident.

Not to say what you saw wasn't a bot, just saying there are many possibilities as to why a player would appear to be a bot by the descriptions listed in the OP.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Myself, I rarely talk, usually have my chat set to either my own channel or my fleets channel(the Chuck Noris jokes in zone are just getting old among other things). So ya I'll do alot of the things you mentioned. I have a few older missions that I want to do. Like LT, and LTC missions. If they give me BO points I'll do them. Just made Commander last night.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

just some more details:

I don't use chat (it's almost pointless!) and I know I'm not a bot.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i've never known a bot to send/acceept a team invite... if he was in you're team he wasn't a bot - more likely he was eating dinner, or watching T.V. and letting the game run slow, or he didn't like you telling him what to do and wanted to tick you off.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Some players have kids, and let them mess around on the game from time to time.. they dont know how to play completely but what they can do is fun for them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why even use a bot? It only takes 1-2 weeks to hit the cap anyways... Might as well spread it out and enjoy it until they get more content in there.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I am so a bot by that definition ^_^.
    Well, okay, I often use full impulse... but the rest is almost always me.
    I've never used torpedos... they don't require timing as some people seem to think, and because you can't go JUST kinetics, you can't properly skill/equip for them.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My chat only shows fleet chat.
    My tells go to xmpp client on another computer that usually don't see.
    Full impulse drains weapon and shields so you vulnerable for first 5 seconds.
    Bots would not do pAtrols cause they still need to play game to enter and leave zone.
    Bots more likely be at sb24 cause enemy respawns.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well....if you want to really see some "botting" go to any dabo wheel and sus out the auto-clicking dabo'ers that are there for 12 hrs straight. Enjoy. I could easily name a few, but according to the TOS, I'm not allowed. To be honest, if it weren't for the Breen-Bio-Thermal Dampener being nerfed...I'd lag all those Dabo"Clickers" out. There...I said it. So devs...suggest you start looking for repeated actions of a single type over hours....and you will find plenty of "botters" Lifers included. ....SMH.:mad:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Curs0r wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing you have stated here could be construed as evidence of botting

^ that.

I sometimes dont go full impulse when I'm half-playing the game and half-dealing with something that came up IRL.

And it doesnt take much to survive in a DSE.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    he nerver went into full impulse! for at least 30 min may be longer

less police action, more play.

Now for my 2 strips of Lat.

1) I'd ignore most general chat, if I didn't like to be a witch. There is no reason most sane people wouldn't respond to you.

2)Full Impulse, yeah I use it to speed things up, but this not a cool judgment, others may not. You don't have the final say on that (see last point at end of post).

3) That's a lame reason, just lame.

4) see #3 above.

5)I often am in higher for accolades, this also has nothing to do with botting.

FINAL NOTE="So like in any Games" you said...It's clear you aren't clear on this issue, if it's a matter of lack of experience or a matter of lacking understanding of play styles, I would stay away from accusing anyone of anything. Constantly reporting people for false claims, I hope has the same effect as doing the crime. Please don't waste time that could be used for better reasons.

All in All this threads responses should have taught you a bit.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    maina wrote: »
    less police action, more play.

Now for my 2 strips of Lat.

1) I'd ignore most general chat, if I didn't like to be a witch. There is no reason most sane people wouldn't respond to you.

2)Full Impulse, yeah I use it to speed things up, but this not a cool judgment, others may not. You don't have the final say on that (see last point at end of post).

3) That's a lame reason, just lame.

4) see #3 above.

5)I often am in higher for accolades, this also has nothing to do with botting.

FINAL NOTE="So like in any Games" you said...It's clear you aren't clear on this issue, if it's a matter of lack of experience or a matter of lacking understanding of play styles, I would stay away from accusing anyone of anything. Constantly reporting people for false claims, I hope has the same effect as doing the crime. Please don't waste time that could be used for better reasons.

All in All this threads responses should have taught you a bit.

Just being curious.....what about what I said...the manner of botting I described....do you believe its in this game? Or not? Thought I'd ask, because it seems that when I presented this to a few individuals..they refused to believe me.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    QuanManChu wrote:
    Just being curious.....what about what I said...the manner of botting I described....do you believe its in this game? Or not? Thought I'd ask, because it seems that when I presented this to a few individuals..they refused to believe me.

Yes it could happen, but there are many reasons why those criteria are not valid. When leveling a "disposable toon" I may seem a bot, though direct pm's usually get a "Hi" back, IN MY CASE.

Some people are anti-social, and "new", so may not even be comfortable using full impulse to steer a ship.

BOTS and gold sellers, are a waste on a game like this, like Perfect World. Though if a profit is to be made, some will try, They are there (IMHO), but in general some-one who uses just these criteria are more naive, than good.
This discussion has been closed.