test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What kinda missions are you going to write?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Well I was going to resub to check out the UGC, but based on answers to various questions I've seen, I changed my mind. It doesn't seem like this tool is going to allow us to do much more than a standard kill X/scan Y with our own story to go with that.

I guess I'll have to look again six months from now when it has evolved some.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    LotD wrote:
    Well I was going to resub to check out the UGC, but based on answers to various questions I've seen, I changed my mind. It doesn't seem like this tool is going to allow us to do much more than a standard kill X/scan Y with our own story to go with that.

I guess I'll have to look again six months from now when it has evolved some.
    After what I've read from the devs answering questions (BTW - thanks TauNeutrino, you are a fountain of info awesomeness), I don't think the UGC is intended to create missions so much as tell stories.

Think of it like writing a script for your very own Star Trek series. When the actors show up on set they don't get the option of how they're going to solve the problem du jour, they get a script that lays down a linear series of events they can't deviate from.

Ok, it does take some of the creativity & decision making away from the player, which I HATE. But the actors' lack of decision making never stopped me from enjoying a show. :) So, on the bright side by being script like you can get more precise in your storytelling. You don't have to worry about how to change NPC's reactions depending on whether they finished the mission using method X, Y, or Z.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    After what I've read from the devs answering questions (BTW - thanks TauNeutrino, you are a fountain of info awesomeness), I don't think the UGC is intended to create missions so much as tell stories.

Think of it like writing a script for your very own Star Trek series. When the actors show up on set they don't get the option of how they're going to solve the problem du jour, they get a script that lays down a linear series of events they can't deviate from.

Ok, it does take some of the creativity & decision making away from the player, which I HATE. But the actors' lack of decision making never stopped me from enjoying a show. :) So, on the bright side by being script like you can get more precise in your storytelling. You don't have to worry about how to change NPC's reactions depending on whether they finished the mission using method X, Y, or Z.

Well, like I said in the other thread, I can write my own Star Trek script anywhere, and then not be hampered by the game engine's limitations at all. I could tell any story I wanted in any location with any character doing whatever I felt like, and there would be no needless F clicking to move along through it.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I plan on writing and building a multipart series of missions in a here to unknown section of deep space bordering the current KDF empire.
    The first mission will consist of a storyline that hopefully will allow the player to explore the history of how the ancient klingons (during thier Pre-industrial age) were conquered and then fought off the H'urq attack and some say possibly gained thier first step into warp drive technology and into deep space.

The first mission will consist (hopefully) of introduction into the mission, tracking down the needed H'urq historical info and figuring out if it is the key to the mystery of how the H'urq were repelled by the early Klingons and driven from Qo'Nos by a race only just getting into system wide space travel.
    The Hur'q were a race of aliens who invaded Qo'noS approximately a thousand years ago. When they were forced out, they took with them many Klingon treasures, including the Sword of Kahless.

In the aftermath of the invasion, the hero Ch'gran oversaw the construction of a fleet of seven starships using captured Hur'q facilities and technology.

The word "Hur'q" later became the word for "outsider" in Klingonese. (DS9: episode "The Sword of Kahless", TLE novel The Art of the Impossible)

Gothmara used Hur'q DNA to create a personal army, which she used to overthrow Martok in 2376.. The Hurq had huge heads, black eyes, long grey tounges and narrow lips. They had wide shoulders, bearing two arms with three fingers and two thumbs each. They average Hurq stood a full meter taller than most Klingons. (The Left Hand of Destiny)

It was later discovered that the H'urq were an ancient race of insectoid scavengers, whose insectile physiology was based that of army ants and the armor of the samurai, that plundered much of the galaxy before the majority of their race were trapped in another dimension. With most of their fleet lost, the H'urq would eventually vanish but they did leave elite units of Kam'Jathae warriors in stasis, to awaken at a time to bring the H'urq civilization back to glory. They were defeated by the crew of the USS Typhon. (TNG game: Invasion)

And what happened so long ago that helped the Klingon race defeat the H'urq and what about that time is linked to the present war with the federation.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have an idea rolling around in my head about a group of Vulcan racial supremacists that work their way into Starfleet and then try to ransom Vulcan into waging war against the Federation, a couple of kinks need to be ironed out as its still a work in progress but if I can get it thought out properly I will set it up.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My first mission is going to be an intro to my Fleet, as I figure out the tools.

Once that is done, and I have a good handle on everything, I plan on creating a story that will explain why so many races have the same ships.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    starbase K7, a few hours after the Tribble mission, kirk has lost the tribble and you are sent back in time forthe Great tribble hunt............... :P
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    A mission that is given to you by a Female vice admiral paclid wearing a black mini skirt and go-go boots.

jk :p

kinda :D
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Comedy.

a reference to one of the all time BBC Sci-fi comedies RED DWARF

By far this is my favorite scene.

On a serious note, I plan on writing dirty future. the image that people get with the federation is pristine, clean cut, no sickness, no poverty. Not in my book. Consider Serentiy or Firefly rather. Not so pristine, clean cut. Where there are blurred lines between good and bad.

Not lying though, I want some funny ones too.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have 2 main storylines I want to pursue.

The first is a diplomatic mission to the planet of my main character's species; and a good chunk of it will be spent simply getting to know them, their culture, and their past. (Of course, me, being me, there will be at some point, explosions. It's not the primary focus, at least as far as I've written it, so far.) Obviously given that most of the mission is about learning who these people are, I'd rather not give anything away here.

The second is much more combat focused, based around the Starfleet Marine Corps. I'm mostly going to be making things up as a go with that; as I don't really want to go digging through the books they appear in (and to my knowledge they never appear in primary source canon at all) - so my SFMC is probably going to be different than what people may have read about. Still, the basic idea is to really dig into the Klingon/Federation war and make it feel... well like a war.

It's long been an irritation of mine that, in spite of there being a massive quadrant-ripping war between two of the largest powers around... it pretty much stops coming up outside of PVP past level 16. It doesn't really feel like much of a war at all; more like a set of random skirmishes against a mad Klingon (B'vat) and his forces.

So I want to put the player in a position where they are right in the middle of a major campaign; and follow the whole thing from beginning to end. I'll probably draw some inspiration from the Pacific theatre of WWII; as planet-hopping can be relatively analogous to island hopping, and the Klingons are certainly of the sort who'd rather dig in and die fighting rather than surrender in any large numbers.

If it goes well I may do an in-reverse version, where you play the Klingon side of the same campaign, start out on the defensive, and then turn it around.

The main difficulty I see with this campaign is that, I want it to really draw in ground-focused captains; people with concepts similar to my main; Marines, Commandos, Section 31 black ops units, etc... While I want to keep it very Trek; it's going to be much closer to the deep end of DS9 rather than the high points of TNG.

The problem is, I don't want it to be totally off-putting to players who maybe aren't perhaps the most militaristic; or even ground-focused - In theory getting them involved by ferrying troops and providing ship support makes a lot of sense. I just have to figure out how to make it all work. Maybe it'll be the sort of thing where I'll offer 2 separate chains, one of which follows the space-focused side of the campaign, and the other focused on the dirtside aspect...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the tools and my personal interest let me do.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    mistformsquirrel ...

What we need is a way for the author of a UGC mission to add a 'recommended for' section to their mission. It could work much the same was as the options you have in setting up fleets where you can designate class, species, gender, faction, RP ... etc. Maybe with a couple other options added in like canonicity or something to let people know what you're intending.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    mistformsquirrel ...

What we need is a way for the author of a UGC mission to add a 'recommended for' section to their mission. It could work much the same was as the options you have in setting up fleets where you can designate class, species, gender, faction, RP ... etc. Maybe with a couple other options added in like canonicity or something to let people know what you're intending.

Yeah, that'd be a good thing to have!

I know in City of Heroes on the Architect system, we had a self-tagging system we the players made up to let each other know kind of what to expect. Maybe if we don't have a built-in system for that with the Foundry we could at least come up with a community-based version.

Here's the list off Paragonwiki for Architect -

http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Mission_Architect_Tags

The obvious flaw with that system of course is that it requires someone to know what the tags mean >.>; so there's always that limitation; but it's at least something.

We could definitely also probably use a canonicity scale - like:

Primary Canon Only - This arc takes into account everything shown on-screen in the movies or series, but ignores the books.

Soft-Canon Inclusive - Also follows at least some of the books, comics, and spinoffs.

Fanon Inclusive - Includes stuff that is speculation held by segments of the fandom; but isn't necessarily confirmed anywhere official.

Fan-Created - It's still Star Trek, but is primarily based on someone's personal imaginings, and is only so concerned with Canon. (This is for your more out-there fan creations that some people love and some people loathe. Having a tag means both groups are best served.)

Freeform - May not even be Star Trek based. Probably best considered a holodeck simulation of whatever event plays out. (For telling stories that really don't have much to do with Star Trek; this probably won't be all that relevant until further down the road where stuff specifically for holodeck type missions is available. This is for your Vic Fontaine/Old West/Beowulf craziness goes.)

That way you know precisely what you're getting into. I think that way allows more freedom both ways... people who just want to have a good time are free to do so, and people who want razorline accurate canon adherence can have it; and neither has to put up with the other.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    In keeping with CRYptics missions I am going to create a mission where i wake up and take a shower.

After i do a mini game to make sure i have not missed any parts ( rub a dub dub)i will be rewarded with type XII gear .