test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

why is it

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
that everyone seems far more interested in the devs getting out cosmetic stuff out, rather than playable content/quashing bugs? cosmetics might be nice to look at, but all of that has no affect on game play, and should be of secondary consideration. take the caitians, for instance. that species provides nothing to the STO to improve the overall game itself. it's just another character that ppl QQ'd for and devs likely felt they had to bow to the demands of those who wanted it, and caitains are prioviding nothing as regards missions or anything of that nature. romulans on the otherhand, which perhaps should have been added instead, would've provide additional missions in PvE/PvP as being an enemy to both the Empire and federation. will roms be in season2? i seriously doubt it, unfortunately, cuz QQers reign supreme:rolleyes:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Krenn wrote: »
    that everyone seems far more interested in the devs getting out cosmetic stuff out,
    Because everyone can dress up an go and pose in Starbase 1.

But not everyone can do PvP, run STFs or be as efficient as their Brog BOs.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I honestly feel they do both. It's a nice balance.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    that everyone seems far more interested in the devs getting out cosmetic stuff out, rather than playable content/quashing bugs? cosmetics might be nice to look at, but all of that has no affect on game play, and should be of secondary consideration. take the caitians, for instance. that species provides nothing to the STO to improve the overall game itself. it's just another character that ppl QQ'd for and devs likely felt they had to bow to the demands of those who wanted it, and caitains are prioviding nothing as regards missions or anything of that nature. romulans on the otherhand, which perhaps should have been added instead, would've provide additional missions in PvE/PvP as being an enemy to both the Empire and federation. will roms be in season2? i seriously doubt it, unfortunately, cuz QQers reign supreme:rolleyes:

Or the art guys are multitasking and were able to squeeze in a species that was slated to be released months ago (it was listed with pakleds a long time, if I recall)

You can already create a Romulan in the Alien creator.

Nevertheless, the art team is multitasking. It can be easy to forget there are several dozen people working on STO and not all 60+ were working on Caitians... but Romulans are prone to emotional outbursts instead of that Vulcan logic. :p
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Blenda wrote:
    Because everyone can dress up an go and pose in Starbase 1.

But not everyone can do PvP, run STFs or be as efficient as their Brog BOs.

well, that makes sense, considering how much more important vanity is:rolleyes:. I goto SB1 it's for a purpose,and I have whatever characters kit set to hide cuz I'm not there to showoff. as for the other, why bother spending $$$ on a game when they do nothing in it to begin with?:confused:

one can create a "romulan", but it's not the same thing cuz there's no content for any faction, which makes these aliens existance moot.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well i think it was a nice touch until season 2 comes along.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    well, that makes sense, considering how much more important vanity is:rolleyes:. I goto SB1 it's for a purpose,and I have whatever characters kit set to hide cuz I'm not there to showoff. as for the other, why bother spending $$$ on a game when they do nothing in it to begin with?:confused:
    They have different values than you.

A long time ago, U.S. grocery stores mostly carried thoroughly pureed spaghetti sauce.

A market researcher named Howard Moskowitz started conducting studies and found some people love large food particles (i.e. chucky spaghetti sauce) rather than the traditional, heavily pureed sauces.

So, they launched several styles: chucky and traditional.

They showed great business success and soon other companies followed suit: there were extra-chucky sauces, mushroom sauces, cream sauces in U.S. grocery stores.

Moral of the story: there is no one right answer, there are merely right answers.

Some players value the cosmetic side of it, others the PvP.
    Some love grinding, some value storylines.
    Some craft, others love to sell items they collect.

There are dozens of playtstyles out there: the caitians weren't created for your playstyle. However, they are bound to match someone's.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

your assuming that things happen in a linear way. everyone has different jobs to do, the guys that does caitains might also be working on extra content but he might get his bit done before the others and have time to add extra races.

if they had not added the ferengi, klingons, pakleds etc, it does not automatically mean that the extra content in season 2 will arrive any faster. even if it does it might not be a noticeable difference (maybe a week?)

so they will most likely prioritise their work to make as many people as happy as possible. yes caitians add nothing to the game but it adds to people personal experience and enjoyment. you only have to see the number of threads and caitians in game to see that. pleasing everybody is tough job and right now to me it feels like the are adding a good amount of cosmetic, game improving changes, bug fixes and new content.

you cant compare adding a playable species to an entire faction like the romulans. do you think by taking out the caitians they could add an entire faction with its own missions and ships?

as players we are always impatient but they have made huge changes to the game already in just five months, not just cosmetic updates.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They have different values than you.

A long time ago, U.S. grocery stores mostly carried thoroughly pureed spaghetti sauce.

A market researcher named Howard Moskowitz started conducting studies and found some people love large food particles (i.e. chucky spaghetti sauce) rather than the traditional, heavily pureed sauces.

So, they launched several styles: chucky and traditional.

They showed great business success and soon other companies followed suit: there were extra-chucky sauces, mushroom sauces, cream sauces in U.S. grocery stores.

Moral of the story: there is no one right answer, there are merely right answers.

Some players value the cosmetic side of it, others the PvP.
    Some love grinding, some value storylines.
    Some craft, others love to sell items they collect.

There are dozens of playtstyles out there: the caitians weren't created for your playstyle. However, they are bound to match someone's.

You and your logic just blow my mind. You, sir, reek of awesomeness. :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hmm, it almost seems like Caitians are taking the blame for everything wrong with STO.
    (Not true but starting to seem that way.)

Caitians have been desired by many since the game was in beta. Before launch it was mentioned that they would be the first new race added and we have come to see this wasn't true. There were a variety of issue why they weren't but many of us didn't forget and wanted them added like we were told and now they are here.

Admittedly some got a little overboard but not really more than some of the other things here.

Matt worked hard to get the Caitians looking good (And he did a good job too) but he isn't responsible for bug fixes etc. So it isn't the Caitians fault that the bugs that people want fixed aren't fixed.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    Hmm, it almost seems like Caitians are taking the blame for everything wrong with STO.
    (Not true but starting to seem that way.)

Caitians have been desired by many since the game was in beta. Before launch it was mentioned that they would be the first new race added and we have come to see this wasn't true. There were a variety of issue why they weren't but many of us didn't forget and wanted them added like we were told and now they are here.

Admittedly some got a little overboard but not really more than some of the other things here.

Matt worked hard to get the Caitians looking good (And he did a good job too) but he isn't responsible for bug fixes etc. So it isn't the Caitians fault that the bugs that people want fixed aren't fixed.

Dont get me started on caitians they shouldent eaven been put in before they worked their butt off fleshing out klingons , there is way to much TRIBBLE beeing made for the fed side while they are ignoring and driving away the klingon faction we loosing players left and right cause its turning more and more into fedration online with klingon monster play ala Lord of the rings monster play !

And now they talking about adding a 3rd faction eaven before they have fleshed out klingon side and come on i dont mean pve TRIBBLE give us a war objectives to fight over bases to capture and hold pay upkeep cost and uppgrade costs for (something for the fleets in games to work on.)

Crafted gear that is better in pvp then anything dropped or farmed with tokens but has decay so we have to buy new gear over and over to help incorperate the crafters into the game .

Dont give me TRIBBLE about klings getting new outfits and wow 8 story archs next season its not really what we need atleast from my point of view.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I would love to see come competitive PVP added.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    tarjan wrote: »
    Dont get me started on caitians they shouldent eaven been put in before they worked their butt off fleshing out klingons , there is way to much TRIBBLE beeing made for the fed side while they are ignoring and driving away the klingon faction we loosing players left and right cause its turning more and more into fedration online with klingon monster play ala Lord of the rings monster play !

And now they talking about adding a 3rd faction eaven before they have fleshed out klingon side and come on i dont mean pve TRIBBLE give us a war objectives to fight over bases to capture and hold pay upkeep cost and uppgrade costs for (something for the fleets in games to work on.)

Crafted gear that is better in pvp then anything dropped or farmed with tokens but has decay so we have to buy new gear over and over to help incorperate the crafters into the game .

Dont give me TRIBBLE about klings getting new outfits and wow 8 story archs next season its not really what we need atleast from my point of view.

As a Klingon player I am about tired of this line of stuff. People keep saying they are driving players away from the Klingon faction. To a small extent that is true however there are still plenty of times where it is dog eat dog to finish exploration missions cause the sector is full of people.

I don't know if anyone has realized this or not but THE KLINGON FACTION WILL NEVER BE AS FLESHED OUT AS THE FED SIDE.

Seriously has anyone bothered to consider that? It took them two years to develop this game and who got the most gameplay... the Feds. If we go by that it would take almost the same amount of time to fully flesh the Klingon side out. Considering that pretty much future content is going to be "agnostic" you can see why I say that. Pretty much the Klingons with minor additions from time to time are pretty much where they are at. Oh I am sure they will add bits here and there but they will never come close to being as expansive as the Feds. Like it or not, I think that is how it is gonna be.

To be honest, I am one of those that think the Klingons should not have been at launch. I think the should have been added later. However hindsight is 20/20 and no reason to cry over spilled milk. As I understand it they want to add persistent zones but that is a ways off. In the mean time, the Klingons will remain the red head step children of STO.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In general, I agree with the OP. It doesnt really matter how your character looks if you have nothing to do. That said, the artist who made the Caitians, for example, are probably not the same people who are designing new missions, so just because a new species is being made does not necessarily mean it is slowing down new missions.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    As a Klingon player I am about tired of this line of stuff. People keep saying they are driving players away from the Klingon faction. To a small extent that is true however there are still plenty of times where it is dog eat dog to finish exploration missions cause the sector is full of people.

I don't know if anyone has realized this or not but THE KLINGON FACTION WILL NEVER BE AS FLESHED OUT AS THE FED SIDE.

Seriously has anyone bothered to consider that? It took them two years to develop this game and who got the most gameplay... the Feds. If we go by that it would take almost the same amount of time to fully flesh the Klingon side out. Considering that pretty much future content is going to be "agnostic" you can see why I say that. Pretty much the Klingons with minor additions from time to time are pretty much where they are at. Oh I am sure they will add bits here and there but they will never come close to being as expansive as the Feds. Like it or not, I think that is how it is gonna be.

To be honest, I am one of those that think the Klingons should not have been at launch. I think the should have been added later. However hindsight is 20/20 and no reason to cry over spilled milk. As I understand it they want to add persistent zones but that is a ways off. In the mean time, the Klingons will remain the red head step children of STO.

THEN WHY THE HELL THEY ADDING ROMULANS?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    a REALLY good game has a good mix of both sides!

some players are not that "balanced" in their interests,
    but for sure they would be pi**** off if one side is TRIBBLE...

moreover ppl post their best ideas or proposals they have,
    if someone simply has better ideas for the cosmetic side,
    it doesnt mean he is not interested in new content...

last but not least STO has diff parts in his community,
    PvPers, "Raiders", Casuals, RPers...
    and they all need their stuff to do / to have...
    and working on all parts in a balanced way is simply the best way...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The_Cold wrote:
    I would love to see come competitive PVP added.

Isn't that up to the players?:cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2010

To be honest I am not sure.

I know people want the Romulans as the next faction but if they are going to get "agnostic" missions too and only 8 pve missions I don't think that will go over too well.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

probably because the player base has asked them too

klingon are getting pve story in season 2 and will continue to get pve in the future but it will most likely be cross faction missions so that it does not matter if you play them as a fed or a klingon or eventually a romulan. but unless their team doubles overnight or they get a few million dollars of founding they are never going to be able to do everything people want.

they have not had enough time to do everything and as a result the klingons have suffered and whist they could concentrate on fixing the klingons then all the people who want more fed stuff will complain, then the people that want romulans will complain, then the people that want cardassians will complain.

it would probably take them a year to add the same level of klingon pve story to the game. how do you think people will react if no other aspect of the game gets developed.

i want klingon pve episodes as much as anybody but i also want the romulans, and UGC and open pvp. we have to accept they can only do so much, and have to accommodate a wide group of people.
    i suspect there are only a very small handful of players that ONLY play klingons and want more klingon stuff. most people would probably want the entire game to develop and not just spend all their time fixing one faction.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    probably because the player base has asked them too

klingon are getting pve story in season 2 and will continue to get pve in the future but it will most likely be cross faction missions so that it does not matter if you play them as a fed or a klingon or eventually a romulan. but unless their team doubles overnight or they get a few million dollars of founding they are never going to be able to do everything people want.

they have not had enough time to do everything and as a result the klingons have suffered and whist they could concentrate on fixing the klingons then all the people who want more fed stuff will complain, then the people that want romulans will complain, then the people that want cardassians will complain.

it would probably take them a year to add the same level of klingon pve story to the game. how do you think people will react if no other aspect of the game gets developed.

i want klingon pve episodes as much as anybody but i also want the romulans, and UGC and open pvp. we have to accept they can only do so much, and have to accommodate a wide group of people.
    i suspect there are only a very small handful of players that ONLY play klingons and want more klingon stuff. most people would probably want the entire game to develop and not just spend all their time fixing one faction.

Sadly, I dont think Cryptic will be ABLE to support multiple player factions "right". Its taken them 5 months just to get 8 Klingon episodes, so how in the world will they be able to provide new content on a regular basis when there are 3 or 4 player factions? Yes, they can make bland generic missions that everyone can do like "hey look, there are bad guys here, go kill them", but that is not fun. See this thread for more discussion on this specific topic.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sadly, I dont think Cryptic will be ABLE to support multiple player factions "right". Its taken them 5 months just to get 8 Klingon episodes, so how in the world will they be able to provide new content on a regular basis when there are 3 or 4 player factions? Yes, they can make bland generic missions that everyone can do like "hey look, there are bad guys here, go kill them", but that is not fun. See this thread for more discussion on this specific topic.

your right in that the more factions, the less they can do for each one. but it all depends on how these cross faction missions turn out in season 2

i suspect they will do story episodes with a common enemy (the breen, the borg etc) and it does not matter if you play a fed, a klingon or a romulans, with the exception of some slightly different dialogue the mission will probably play out the same, maybe with a different ending depending on which race you pick. ie the feds save everybody, the klingons kill everybody.

so it guess it wont just be kill 5 of this and scan 5 of that so they will be proper story episodes it just wont make much difference what faction you play them with.

now the advantage is they can then concentrate on making one set of really good story episodes, the bad news is that if you like to play all three or four factions you are just doing the same missions over and over again. for the players that just like to pick one faction and stick with it then its all good.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    your right in that the more factions, the less they can do for each one. but it all depends on how these cross faction missions turn out in season 2

i suspect they will do story episodes with a common enemy (the breen, the borg etc) and it does not matter if you play a fed, a klingon or a romulans, with the exception of some slightly different dialogue the mission will probably play out the same, maybe with a different ending depending on which race you pick. ie the feds save everybody, the klingons kill everybody.

so it guess it wont just be kill 5 of this and scan 5 of that so they will be proper story episodes it just wont make much difference what faction you play them with.

now the advantage is they can then concentrate on making one set of really good story episodes, the bad news is that if you like to play all three or four factions you are just doing the same missions over and over again. for the players that just like to pick one faction and stick with it then its all good.

Fighting the Borg, Undine and Breen might be fun, but not if their the ONLY enemies you fight. The Feds are at war with the Klingons, Remans, and True Way, and SHOULD be fighting them too even at end game. Fighting JUST the Borg, Undine, and Breen over and over and over again simply because they are the only enemies that can work in "universal" missions is going to get old.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fighting the Borg, Undine and Breen might be fun, but not if their the ONLY enemies you fight. The Feds are at war with the Klingons, Remans, and True Way, and SHOULD be fighting them too even at end game. Fighting JUST the Borg, Undine, and Breen over and over and over again simply because they are the only enemies that can work in "universal" missions is going to get old.

yes ill agree i would like to keep fighting all the races and not just fight one group until a certain rank then never see them again.
    im sure there are ways round it, but ill reserve judgement until i see how they do them. at this stage im not worried about having multiple factions. if 3 ends up being too much to handle then they may have to hold off on the cardassians or who ever they what to do after the rommies.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

i sincerely hope romulans aren't in season two for one simple reason, and given how many it looks like you've played.....i'd much rather see devs concentrating on increasing the amount of klingon content in game rather than rushing to introduce another faction with no content. we'd all be better of as a player group to NEVER see something introduced with as little content as klingons were.....
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MDK-187 wrote:
    i sincerely hope romulans aren't in season two for one simple reason,

Romulans will NOT be in Season 2; anyone who said that is completely wrong. However, they MAY be in Season 3, depending on how far out that is.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Romulans will NOT be in Season 2; anyone who said that is completely wrong. However, they MAY be in Season 3, depending on how far out that is.

if a seasons 3 months or so long, then i hope we don't see them til about season 5-6. i agree they should be the next faction that comes in, but we need to flesh out whats in game first, klingons being a major part of that, in addition to the usual fed stuff / fixes, etc.

lets get this game where it should of been had devs not released it early.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Regarding the Op: I think Caitians are a good sign; personally, I'd never roll one nor would I ever commission one as a BO, but several (very loud, often shrill and petulant) people indicated from the start that they would like to see Caitians, and continually lobbied for them.

To see them introduced, and done very well in my opinion, indicates that the developers are indeed listening to us. Although I'm inclined to agree with you that more content and fixes should be added, I also see that Cryptic is working on that, too.

It's a tough job balancing so many demands from so many different people, but I think Cryptic is making a good faith effort to respond to us as well and as quickly as it can.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Colonius wrote:
    a REALLY good game has a good mix of both sides!

There are certain limitations that the Klingon Empire can not overcome.

1- Playable species. The Klingon Empire is supposed to be mostly ... klingon. And the United Federation of Planets was founded on the idea of many many different species of aliens working together. So Fed side will have more playable species. That's the point.

2- Ship designs. The KDF has Birds of Prey. K'Tingas/D7's. Neg'Vahrs. They reached back to Enterprise for the Raptor. And they pulled a carrier out of thin air. They ran out of KDF designs already. The Federation ... they haven't even gotten to at least a half dozen major Starfleet ship designs yet. Starfleet has more available ship designs, because the shows were always about them.

So right there, at the root source of the two sides, there is an imbalance. That can never be overcome.

That beings said, the KDF's woes are generally overplayed for effect on these forums.

All the KDF lacks that Starfleet has right now is story arc missions, when it comes to content.

Season 1.0 filled in the rest.

I get that people don't find exploration/cluster missions fun or exciting. But they match up on both sides. I get that fleet actions need work. But they need work on both sides. I get that war zones are bugged. But they're bugged on both sides. I get that STFs are a headache after all the nerfs. But this affects both sides.

The content itself has some kinks. But other than story arcs ... both sides have the same kinds of content.

Klingons need work. I'm not denying that. But the overplayed complaints are tiresome. Klingons are not ignored. They were given a lot of content in 1.0, as promised. They have been slowly getting fleshed out. And 2.0 brings more to the Klingons. That's a great thing.

There is a good mix on both sides. Klingons are fun and different and flavorful. But a Kill 12 ships mission is going to be the same boring Kill 12 ships mission no matter if you're flying the Enterprizez-Dee Galaxy class cruiser or the K'kissmahGritz Bird of Prey.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    superchum wrote: »

2- Ship designs. The KDF has Birds of Prey. K'Tingas/D7's. Neg'Vahrs. They reached back to Enterprise for the Raptor. And they pulled a carrier out of thin air. They ran out of KDF designs already. The Federation ... they haven't even gotten to at least a half dozen major Starfleet ship designs yet. Starfleet has more available ship designs, because the shows were always about them.

just to say they can add the gorn, orion ships etc. i hope they are still planning to do this, as id love to fly some of those ships, but yes the klingons have always been shown to only have a few designs compared to the federation so the devs actually have to invent new ships that not only look Klingon but also look different and get passed by CBS
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    just to say they can add the gorn, orion ships etc. i hope they are still planning to do this,

Sometimes I'm a hopeful person. Sometimes I'm cynical. The hopeful person sees that this move could help the situation.

The cynic in me thinks that even if they did expand the KDF exponentially like that ... (and that would expand the fleet diversity quite a bit) ... the next time a Vesta or an Excelsior ... or even a New Orleans or Wambundu gets released ...

The complaint that Cryptic ignores Klingons will pop right back up in multiple threads.

/sigh
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    superchum wrote: »
    All the KDF lacks that Starfleet has right now is story arc missions, when it comes to content.

Unfortunately, that is a LOT of lacking content. Feds have episodes that take them most of the way throughout their ranks. With Season 2, Klingons will have a total of 8 episodes.
This discussion has been closed.