Install Arc
Options

Idea for compensation

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    joe_blue wrote:
    Not if everyone else gets them a month later. My self-worth couldn't handle it.

Let me see if I can do this correctly :rolleyes:

I want my doughnuts NOW NOW NOW NOW...

Give me my doughnuts....

Hmmm... didn't seem right... guess I just can't do it very well. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Although I do not have CO if I did I would like this idea so I vote yes.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    Let me see if I can do this correctly :rolleyes:

I want my doughnuts NOW NOW NOW NOW...

Give me my doughnuts....

Hmmm... didn't seem right... guess I just can't do it very well. :)

You forgot to use the words "exclusive" and "unique" repeatedly without knowing what they mean.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    LotD wrote:
    You forgot to use the words "exclusive" and "unique" repeatedly without knowing what they mean.

This is true..... would you believe?
    Its magic.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    We as two people (Panthro and I) on the opposite side of the Debate agreed this would be compromisable solution, I ask for all of your support to heal the divide in the community!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Anyone who spent nearly $300 on Champions subscription for the sole purpose of obtaining mirror universe clothing in an entirely different game probably isn't a rational consumer - such buying practices are highly outside the norm (and financial limits) of most STO subscribers.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Anyone who spent nearly $300 on Champions subscription for the sole purpose of obtaining mirror universe clothing in an entirely different game probably isn't a rational consumer - such buying practices are highly outside the norm (and financial limits) of most STO subscribers.

/ agreed, we have had opposition from a lot of those folks.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    We as two people (Panthro and I) on the opposite side of the Debate agreed this would be compromisable solution, I ask for all of your support to heal the divide in the community!

While noble and I appreciate the concept I can't support this at this time.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It was 200 not 300 just to clear up the facts
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    danfiveten wrote: »
    I would like to see us that have the items, get some free cryptic points at least to put towards others since we got screwed.

Seems like there are more that would prefer cpoints to the trophy and combadge. I would be fine with either. I dont need to feel special as so many people in this thread and others have claimed I do. My only thought on cpoints would be if the ds9 unis cost 200 cpoints then anyone who already has them should get 200 cpoints anyone who has the joined trill if its 400 cpoints then you should get 400 cpoints to me this seems fair
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So what is your recourse? That's right... NOTHING. Except crying about it and blabbing to this or that friend of yours who runs a blog site that nobody but you and maybe a few others reads.

You are very shortsighted my friend do you think cryptic, atari might ever try to sell a game again?

beyond that after this noone will ever believe exclusive to mean anything with them
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You know? I remember back when I was a kid, collecting the original Star Wars toys from Kenner. Occasionally they would come out with an "exclusive" offer. Send in five proof-of-purchase seals from any Star Wars action figure, vehicle or playset and get a free {insert action special figure name}. Of course, when the next wave of action figures came out, that exclusive offer I took advantage of by begging my parents to buy me more action figures (Can't have too many rebel soldiers or Imperial Snowtroopers) ended up being among them.

It didn't bother me though. I thought, cool. I don't have to worry about accidentally breaking the original one I got.

I got the following action figures through "exclusive" offers:

4-LOM, Admiral Ackbar, The Emperor, and Anakin Skywalker. I don't remember whether or not I got Nein Nunb through its exclusive offer, or when it came out as part of the "Power of the Force" collection.

Toward the end, I was buying my own action figures, and still the fact that the "exclusive offer" ones became standard releases. I was actually glad that I could count on Kenner to do that. Because if I ever missed an exclusive offer, I knew I would eventually be able to get it.

I was never a selfish collector. I enjoyed being among the first to have one of the special action figures. But I never took the "I've got a 4-LOM and you don't!" standpoint. My friends who had Star Wars toys too would want to play with them. And I let them. We had fun.

But some people here seem to be more concerned with lording it over other people rather than having fun with other people. And you know? I think it's sad.

Originally my position was, let the exclusive items come to the C-store, but make sure that their cost in C-points is equal to the real money value of the incarnation of the game that people originally got them with. But now, after seeing the totally selfish attitude on the part of some people, I hope that people can pay next to NOTHING to get them. And if it makes you selfish jerks mad enough to quit playing over it? then I say good riddance. You aren't really here to have fun anyway. If you were, this wouldn't matter one bit. No. You're here just to find something to scream about.

If I am wrong, then prove it. Stop whining about this, play the bloody game and have fun.

I have no desire to lord anything over anyones head just as we think it's sad that peopel have to have everything
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    panthro wrote: »
    I have no desire to lord anything over anyones head just as we think it's sad that peopel have to have everything

You think its sad that "people have to have everything"... yet you and others went out and spent a good deal of money a few months ago... to have everything... because you had to have everything...

The game is going to go merrily on with these items in the C-Store and it is better off in the long run for doing so.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

What divide? There are a handful of people who didn't understand what they were buying and are now unhappy about it. Some of them have openly mocked the idea of actually finding out what it is they were purchasing.

We'll give people sympathy for that to a degree, but the idea that any compensation is in order is just plain laughable.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    LotD wrote:
    What divide? There are a handful of people who didn't understand what they were buying and are now unhappy about it. Some of them have openly mocked the idea of actually finding out what it is they were purchasing.

We'll give people sympathy for that to a degree, but the idea that any compensation is in order is just plain laughable.

A bit of an overstatement. We asked, and reasked at the time of purchase. I even asked them over the phone. So to say we didn't understand what we were buying would be untrue. I'm upset precisely for the reason I did do my homework on it. The only truth is that they did not honor what they said back then.

However, as noted earlier on this thread, I wasn't supporting this compensation request. Also, for what its worth, the two people who 'came together' on this don't actually have the Mirror Universe uniform.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    LotD wrote:
    Except that would require Cryptic to admit that they somehow wronged these guys and/or give in to a bunch of people who made a mistake and refuse to take responsibility for their mistake.

Many of us have said that if Cryptic had actually promised what many of these folks have said they did, then we'd all be on board with them getting something for it. Unfortunately for them, that is not the case here.

Fortunately, the debate seems to have finally come to an end.

I doubt you all would be on board given how many threads were created about wanting the stuff in the cstore then you would want whatever it was too
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    personae wrote:
    A bit of an overstatement. We asked, and reasked at the time of purchase. I even asked them over the phone. So to say we didn't understand what we were buying would be untrue. I'm upset precisely for the reason I did do my homework on it. The only truth is that they did not honor what they said back then.

However, as noted earlier on this thread, I wasn't supporting this compensation request. Also, for what its worth, the two people who 'came together' on this don't actually have the Mirror Universe uniform.

Some of you asked. And those that did, for the most part, are not whining about compensation.

Did they specifically tell you they would never put it in the C-store? Because repeatedly people have said they were told that, and when we get the actual quotes from Cryptic, it's more that they said you couldn't buy it anywhere else, which has been absolutely true the whole time. You couldn't buy it anywhere else at the time.

At the end of the day though, the problem is one of common sense. It would make absolutely no sense to relegate something as popular as the mirror uniform to something that could only be gotten as a bonus for buying a subscription to a completely unrelated game for a short period of time before the actual game even came out. We all agree it's happening a lot earlier than anyone expected, but to believe that item would never be gotten again even if they flat-out told you flies in the face of all logic.

I get people are all up in arms over the Lib Borg, but it was never going to be, and isn't, as popular as the uniform, which I would bet is why it's not in the C-store yet. I'm sure they will get around to it eventually.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    dojen wrote:
    I doubt you all would be on board given how many threads were created about wanting the stuff in the cstore then you would want whatever it was too

Don't care about the stuff. Never did. The only thing I was even remotely interested in was the TOS Connie. Then I found out it was going to be useless past the first ship tier, and never gave it a second thought.

I think it would've been monumentally bad business to make those items unavailable permanently, but if their ads had been indicative that was going to be the case, then I'd have no choice but to back you guys up because that's what they said they'd do.

They didn't though. They used common marketing terms like "exclusive" and "unique", to which people added their own timeline. Some people decided it meant "forever", others felt it meant for a year or six months or what have you.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    LotD wrote:
    Some ofDid they specifically tell you they would never put it in the C-store? Because repeatedly people have said they were told that, and when we get the actual quotes from Cryptic, it's more that they said you couldn't buy it anywhere else, which has been absolutely true the whole time. You couldn't buy it anywhere else at the time.

Thats not what I asked them on the phone. I specifically asked them if the Uniforms would be going on sale a few months after I finally got them and they said No.

In the spirit of full disclosure, that was not the reason for the call. When I got the Champions LTS, they managed to doublecharge me for it, without actually applying it to my account. Apparently I got hit with some glitch in their system that affected under 10 people total, and they had no method at the time to directly fix it. You'd think they could just manually fix it right? But they couldn't. It took them weeks after launch to fix the problem, barely doing so before my free 30 days ran out.

So I have the interesting distinction of being one of the few CO Lifetime purchasers to actually use their Free time. :rolleyes:

During that period, I was on the phone with them. Alot. So with the aggrivation level in getting that subscription, I'm sure you can see why I specifically asked what I did above. Because really if it were even going to be on the C-store in six months. I would have cancelled the order and saved myself the frustration. They were nice, they were apologetic. They even knew me by name at that point. Still didn't get the problem fixed.

So after all that, I hope you can see why I'm a little upset about this. Not only were the uniforms not delivered when promised, but I only got one month with them before they went for sale. And don't get me started about 'Guaranteed Closed Beta Access' that I got only one day of closed beta time for.

But no, even after that, I had no expectations they'd be exclusive forever. That would be naive. But I thought at least a year was reasonable. Especially based on how Cryptic handled such things in CoH.

Just some boring, longwinded context for you.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Personally, I'd like to see a discount or package for subbing to both games. I like CO, but I can't pay $15 for both STO and CO, so STO wins. I'd ideally like to see $20 for both subs.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    personae wrote:
    Thats not what I asked them on the phone. I specifically asked them if the Uniforms would be going on sale a few months after I finally got them and they said No.

In the spirit of full disclosure, that was not the reason for the call. When I got the Champions LTS, they managed to doublecharge me for it, without actually applying it to my account. Apparently I got hit with some glitch in their system that affected under 10 people total, and they had no method at the time to directly fix it. You'd think they could just manually fix it right? But they couldn't. It took them weeks after launch to fix the problem, barely doing so before my free 30 days ran out.

So I have the interesting distinction of being one of the few CO Lifetime purchasers to actually use their Free time. :rolleyes:

During that period, I was on the phone with them. Alot. So with the aggrivation level in getting that subscription, I'm sure you can see why I specifically asked what I did above. Because really if it were even going to be on the C-store in six months. I would have cancelled the order and saved myself the frustration. They were nice, they were apologetic. They even knew me by name at that point. Still didn't get the problem fixed.

So after all that, I hope you can see why I'm a little upset about this. Not only were the uniforms not delivered when promised, but I only got one month with them before they went for sale. And don't get me started about 'Guaranteed Closed Beta Access' that I got only one day of closed beta time for.

But no, even after that, I had no expectations they'd be exclusive forever. That would be naive. But I thought at least a year was reasonable. Especially based on how Cryptic handled such things in CoH.

Just some boring, longwinded context for you.

And nobody is faulting anybody for feeling a little shocked and irritated this is happening this soon. But the tantrums are ridiculous, and as I said before, we all expected the game to be at least stable at launch too (which it wasn't.)

As for what you asked them, again we're looking at a situation where they didn't specify when or how they would be released to the C-store, but they did leave that possibility open, which as you stated you knew going in. So while I sympathize with all the stuff you've had to put up with, you clearly were prepared for the possibility at least.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mrtauntaun wrote: »
    Personally, I'd like to see a discount or package for subbing to both games. I like CO, but I can't pay $15 for both STO and CO, so STO wins. I'd ideally like to see $20 for both subs.

I really thought they'd have put a package in like that by now. Something like SOE's All Access Pass. You'd get a smidge of value for two games, but that rate would turn out to be an exceptional value when game #3 comes out.

Assuming all three games are worth playing, of course. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    personae wrote:

Then your next question should have been "what do you define as 'a few'"? From what you're saying here, they didn't lie or decieve you at all. It's been a few months since launch and to them, that is sufficient enough time for the uniforms to go into the C-Store.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    LotD wrote:
    And nobody is faulting anybody for feeling a little shocked and irritated this is happening this soon. But the tantrums are ridiculous, and as I said before, we all expected the game to be at least stable at launch too (which it wasn't.)

As for what you asked them, again we're looking at a situation where they didn't specify when or how they would be released to the C-store, but they did leave that possibility open, which as you stated you knew going in. So while I sympathize with all the stuff you've had to put up with, you clearly were prepared for the possibility at least.

I was open for the eventual possibility, but I did recieve comfirmation of a period it would not be happening. That they did not stick to. If it went on sale after 6 months, I still wouldn't have been that happy, but at least it was beyond the scope of what I recieved confirmation about.
    Then your next question should have been "what do you define as 'a few'"? From what you're saying here, they didn't lie or decieve you at all. It's been a few months since launch and to them, that is sufficient enough time for the uniforms to go into the C-Store.

My specific wording was 6 months. As in "After all this <explative> they won't be going on sale in the C-Store in 6 months will they?"
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    personae wrote:
    I was open for the eventual possibility, but I did recieve comfirmation of a period it would not be happening. That they did not stick to. If it went on sale after 6 months, I still wouldn't have been that happy, but at least it was beyond the scope of what I recieved confirmation about.

How many months did you ask about? You said in the original post "a few." A "few" typically means three or four, which we are now past.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    personae wrote:
    My specific wording was 6 months. As in "After all this <explative> they won't be going on sale in the C-Store in 6 months will they?"

If that's true, perhaps next time get it in writing :) I doubt the tech support or account support tech you spoke to was truly qualified to give that answer.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If that's true, perhaps next time get it in writing :) I doubt the tech support or account support tech you spoke to was truly qualified to give that answer.

It was a Supervisior, among others fyi. I do have the names of the people I dealt with. However you're right. If I had a time machine, I'd have told myself to record the conversation.

But then, if I did have that machine, its more likely I'd have told myself not to bother spending money with them at all at that point. I would have only had to wait a month, saved money and avoided tons of aggrivation and billing issues. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Expired comment
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    personae wrote:
    It was a Supervisior, among others fyi. I do have the names of the people I dealt with. However you're right. If I had a time machine, I'd have told myself to record the conversation.

But then, if I did have that machine, its more likely I'd have told myself not to bother spending money with them at all at that point. I would have only had to wait a month, saved money and avoided tons of aggrivation and billing issues. ;)

I highly doubt a supervisor would be qualified to answer that question as well. I doubt anyone at Cryptic would have been qualified to at the time. STO wasn't even in closed BETA at the time, so it stands to reason that the how/when of "exclusives" wasn't even decided upon yet.

Not to be critical, but it sounds to me like they told you what you wanted to hear because you were upset about billing issues etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    personae wrote:

Well this is what I can do for you. I can give you an exclusive and unique Threadnought Donut, which you can add to your sig and lord over others. :)