What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

when are caitians coming out?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I like the idea of having Caitians in this game. But it will probably end up in the C-Store. Damn you MMOs and your micro-transaction system!:mad:

'Probably?' They will be, like the other 'playable races.'

I'm concerned not because the Caitans will be in the C-Store, but that we're not seeing a high percentage of content being released for people who are just playing the game. But that's a rant for another thread. =)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    once again.
    memory alpha is written by fans for fans and contains nothing other than what fans want to say to each other.

from Mandel ( which is as canon as memory alpha seeing as Geoffrey Mandell worked on the show )

http://twitpic.com/1n206y
    http://twitpic.com/1n20lo
    and
    http://twitpic.com/1n20y6
    http://twitpic.com/1n21dk

Now, you tell me which was in an unaffiliated kid's cartoon for a series that had to be re-written for breach of contract( due to all the main characters being unlicensed and in breach, including the furry ) and which made a second or two appearance in a movie?

Well, if you WANT to get technical - what was show is Star Trek VI COULDN'T have been a' Kizinti' as the Larry Niven estate had an injunction against Paramount using 'Kzinti' in Star Trek after FASA made them a part of the Star Fleet Battles boardgame. It's the entire reason for the Zenkathi mention is DS9 - they were GOING to say "Kziniti' in the script, but the Paramount legal dept. reminded them about the injunction.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dryan wrote:

Dang, sorry I jumped in late, but here is what the inventor of the Kzin have to say about them:

http://www.larryniven.org/kzin/star_trek_vs_kzinti.shtml

And a little fan writeup on Kzin and Trek:

http://www.allyngibson.net/?page_id=1783
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Armsman wrote: »
    Well, if you WANT to get technical - what was show is Star Trek VI COULDN'T have been a' Kizinti' as the Larry Niven estate had an injunction against Paramount using 'Kzinti' in Star Trek after FASA made them a part of the Star Fleet Battles boardgame. It's the entire reason for the Zenkathi mention is DS9 - they were GOING to say "Kziniti' in the script, but the Paramount legal dept. reminded them about the injunction.

Errr... there seems to be a slight error in your information. Star Fleet Battles is, and always has been, the property of Amarillo Design Bureau (originally published by Task Force Games but most recently by ADB itself) and never FASA. FASA had their own 'Starship Combat Tactical Simulator' but it was not related at all to SFB.

I am not aware of any lawsuits that Niven submitted against ADB regarding Kzinti in SFB; the Kzinti still exist in that game and continue to be a part of it, so perhaps some sort of arrangement was made between ADB and Niven. I do believe such an injunction does exist against Paramount/CBS; it would not surprise me. They do exist as well in the Animated Series, but I am given to understand that there, they are an IP minefield that is simply not talked about. (Which is ironic since Larry Niven wrote them INTO TAS himself. Oh, well.)

Hadn't known that tidbit about the 'Zenkathi!' Interesting and plausible, I'll have to research that!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    sort of back on track. The Caitians are off the grid. The update seemed to be for removing them from the calender. Very disappointing..
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm a little disappointed I can't play one yet but I'd rather be disappointed because of a delay than be disappointed because they look absolutely terrible with little customization. As far as I'm concerned they can take two months if it means they are worth the wait and look awesome. I'm hoping that in addition to tail animations that there are a few hair styles and full mane options for both genders.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Liberty wrote: »
    I'm a little disappointed I can't play one yet but I'd rather be disappointed because of a delay than be disappointed because they look absolutely terrible with little customization. As far as I'm concerned they can take two months if it means they are worth the wait and look awesome. I'm hoping that in addition to tail animations that there are a few hair styles and full mane options for both genders.
    I concur wholeheartedly. I'm willing to wait, as long as a quality proudct is released. I would imagine that it's a bit difficult to make the cat legs and tails work with certain clothing options, like the TOS skort.

I just hope that the knuckle-dragging anti-Caitian camp doesn't try to scuttle the introduction of Caitians.

BTW, would someone *please* explain to me why *some* people claim that Caitians will only appeal to "furry fetishists". What does *that* even mean?!

In space, no one can hear you purr!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Removing something that was on the calendar for a while and then suddenly removing it without any info is BS that's giving peoples hopes up total BS
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Apparently you guys don't read Engineering Reports and other things.
    dstahl wrote:
    You've also heard that some of our long time team members (like Gozer) are moving off to pursue other opportunities and we wish them all the best. While turn-over is common once titles ship, their impact on the game will be missed. There are a few items on the schedule that are shifting due to the transfer or loss of a few team members which is allowing us to bring several new team members up to speed on their work in progress. The STF Into the Hive (which is being rescoped to work with the upcoming new level cap) and the Caitians are the two things most impacted and have shifted as necessary.
    dstahl wrote:
    In Development
    Season 1.2 Update - May
    Global Help Chat Channel (1.2)
    Fleet Mail Improvements (1.2)
    Fed Playable Species: "Rigelian" (1.2)
    Squad System (Sidekicking) (1.2)
    Episode Replay (1.2)
    Fed Bridge Pack “Prometheus” (1.2)
    Fed Science Tier 4 – Luna Variant “Comet” (1.2)
    Playable Fed Species: "Caitian" (1.2 or 1.3)
    Social System Improvements (1.2 or 1.3)

There.
    I just hope that the knuckle-dragging anti-Caitian camp doesn't try to scuttle the introduction of Caitians.

BTW, would someone *please* explain to me why *some* people claim that Caitians will only appeal to "furry fetishists". What does *that* even mean?!

I'm anti-Caitian. But they're canon, even if just barely (they were in one movie), and so I won't try to keep them out of the game. I don't think they'll only appeal to furry 'fetishists,' but I do think that the extremely vocal Caitian supporters are furries, even if they don't know it.

By the way, there is a difference between 'being a furry' and 'furry fetishism.' I don't really like either, but different reasons motivate my dislike of plain furries and my dislike of furry fetishists.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What's the furr.... i mean fuzz about this race anyway? Why do so many people want them for crying out loud?

I mean.. i get why people would want to play as a liberated borg, or as a fed cardassian.. but why all the fuzz about a race that isn't even canon?

The sounds like something that those "so ronery" pillow-marrying guys would want.. hehe :D
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ruivo wrote:
    What's the furr.... i mean fuzz about this race anyway? Why do so many people want them for crying out loud?

Furries are fanatical. It's kinda scary.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ruivo wrote:

I mean.. i get why people would want to play as a liberated borg, or as a fed cardassian.. but why all the fuzz about a race that isn't even canon?

The sounds like something that those "so ronery" pillow-marrying guys would want.. hehe :D

Well they are canon - being in the movies and as a bridge officer in the animated show makes them as just as canon as anything else in Trek.

I think they'd be a great addition, getting their fur and tail pieces into the game will help enormously with the variety seen. Same reason I love that Saurians are present!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    By the way, there is a difference between 'being a furry' and 'furry fetishism.' I don't really like either, but different reasons motivate my dislike of plain furries and my dislike of furry fetishists.

Finally, somebody who understands that there is a difference.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bron wrote:
    Matt you said we may ask you questions, so I'm taking you up on that offer, okay?... Might I get a reply directly from you to my question in post 159 in the May 7 Engineering Report, please? I'm wondering why you're opting to make the race from scratch instead of save some time and call the guys from CO to borrow from them ...

Sure thing. I posted an answer in that May 7 Eng. Report. http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2662063&postcount=191
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm anti-Caitian. But they're canon, even if just barely (they were in one movie), and so I won't try to keep them out of the game. I don't think they'll only appeal to furry 'fetishists,' but I do think that the extremely vocal Caitian supporters are furries, even if they don't know it.

Wait, was I not supposed to enjoy the Thundercats cartoon when I was a kid? Would it have been better if they were a bunch of guys dressed in hawk suits instead? Because I liked that one too. Then again I also liked cartoon soldiers that dressed like superheroes and robots that could transform into cars.

Is there no end to my depravity??
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Combadge wrote:
    Wait, was I not supposed to enjoy the Thundercats cartoon when I was a kid? Would it have been better if they were a bunch of guys dressed in hawk suits instead? Because I liked that one too. Then again I also liked cartoon soldiers that dressed like superheroes and robots that could transform into cars.

Now I want to play one of Hawk's race from 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.' Or at least fly his cool birdship. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Combadge wrote:

definitly not . thundercats were depravied and wrong and evil and your going to hell . transformers were also hell ike a made from satans toe fuzz . face it your a sick sick trek nerd
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    personae wrote:
    Now I want to play one of Hawk's race from 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.' Or at least fly his cool birdship. :D

I am tempted to google him, but I'm totally convinced the memory I have of him is much more cool than he probably ever was.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Combadge wrote:
    I am tempted to google him, but I'm totally convinced the memory I have of him is much more cool than he probably ever was.

You would be completely correct on this. Really that applies to everything from that show. But I loved it as a kid. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Combadge wrote:
    Wait, was I not supposed to enjoy the Thundercats cartoon when I was a kid?

Yes, because in my post, I said exactly that.

/sarcasm

Congratulations on helping me make my point.

I enjoyed Thundercats, too. When I was a kid. Not so much now that I'm an adult.

I don't still collect Thundercats memorabilia. I don't wear a Thundercats t-shirt every few days or have Thundercats posters on my walls. I don't go out of my way to defend my continuing enjoyment of Thundercats. I don't go out of my way to say how awesome they are to anyone who says they're not, or to say that people who don't like Thundercats (or who don't like people who like Thundercats) are clearly racist. I don't go on forums and constantly create new threads to complain that I can't play a Thundercat in (insert game name here) or that there isn't a Thundercats MMO, only to flame those who think that it would be a bad idea.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

/sarcasm

I enjoyed Thundercats, too. When I was a kid. Not so much now that I'm an adult.

I don't still collect Thundercats memorabilia. I don't wear a Thundercats t-shirt every few days or have Thundercats posters on my walls. I don't go out of my way to defend my continuing enjoyment of Thundercats. I don't go out of my way to say how awesome they are to anyone who says they're not, or to say that people who don't like Thundercats (or who don't like people who like Thundercats) are clearly racist. I don't go on forums and constantly create new threads to complain that I can't play a Thundercat in (insert game name here) or that there isn't a Thundercats MMO, only to flame those who think that it would be a bad idea.

Neither do I. But when people are violently opposing something that I think is just ridiculous, I feel a strong desire to point out "hey, you're being ridiculous". And it has absolutely nothing to do with liking (or not liking) giant cat people. Don't like Catians because they're your least favorite Star Trek character? That's cool. Don't like Catians because the first thing they make you think of is real people dressed up like animals who have costume sex or something.. uh, too much info, thanks.

I would have taken Federation Catians over Federation Packleds any day of the week. Why? It has less to do with Catians and more to do with thinking Pakled's are silly and a poor investment in development resources.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

/sarcasm

I am not really sure what you are getting at. There are a few here that have wanted Caitians since the beginning since they were one of our favorite canon races. Now, I don't see how that makes anyone a furry much less a furry fetishists. From my recent research into furrys (Didn't know about them till STO) I must admit I find a lot more disturbing fetishes out there than furrys.

My point is not everyone who likes Caitians are a furry or furry fetishist. Some, like myself just happen to like them as much as Vulcans (Which we can play), Klingons (Which we can play) etc. I don't ask anyone to like Caitians. Personally, if you don't like them don't play them, seems simple to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Combadge wrote:
    Neither do I. But when people are violently opposing something that I think is just ridiculous, I feel a strong desire to point out "hey, you're being ridiculous". And it has absolutely nothing to do with liking (or not liking) giant cat people.

I would have taken Federation Catians over Federation Packleds any day of the week. Why? It has less to do with Catians and more to do with thinking Pakled's are silly and a poor investment in development resources.

Well, I don't violently oppose them. In fact, as I said, I'm ok with them being in because they're a canon race. As an aside, I agree with you: Pakleds make absolutely no sense as a Federation playable species. They appeared in one TNG episode as a villain, and in a few others as just background characters.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Combadge wrote:

I can agree with this and personally I think the Pakleds were a bad choice in the series. Seems insulting to some folks to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    I am not really sure what you are getting at. There are a few here that have wanted Caitians since the beginning since they were one of our favorite canon races.

All right, that's good. Now, tell me why they are one of your favorite canon races? What about them make them amongst your favorite? Especially since they appeared only in the background of a movie, and in the horrible animated series?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    All right, that's good. Now, tell me why they are one of your favorite canon races? What about them make them amongst your favorite? Especially since they appeared only in the background of a movie, and in the horrible animated series?

i use to love wing commander games and thundercats
    but that is only part of why i like caitians the big thing is
    THEY ARE MORE THEN A HEAD CHANGE
    every other race but gorn in the game are just that
    i just want something more then a trill or kingon
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    qultar wrote: »
    i use to love wing commander games and thundercats

I loved Wing Commander, too. I got to shoot those furballs. Killed thousands of them. It was great!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I loved Wing Commander, too. I got to shoot those furballs. Killed thousands of them. It was great!

just dont talk about the movie that was all kinds of BAD
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I suspect it has less to do with any fetishes and more to do with lions, tigers, panthers, etc being dangerous creatures. If this were a race of squirrel people then most people probably wouldn't care.

Seriously, if you had to choose between Bolian Red Shirt #5 watching your back or Jaguaro of the Lion People, who would you rather go into a fight with? I just can't help but put my money on the ferocious cat man.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Well, I can't speak to the movie bit because I always thought that was more of a Kzinti than a Caitian. Se we can take that part out. However, I loved the animated series and I still do. As far as that goes, I always thought that "Why not" we have races that are silicone based or rock based, we have Artex who was a different so it just made sense to me that there would be a feline race as well as other races. Some of which we saw in TNG like the Fish race. It was nice to see some genetic diversity but something still close to home as to be realized. Something familiar but dissimilar at the same time.

There are feline races in Dr. Who as well. I find them interesting as well as a lot of the races I see. Personally, I would love to know more. How they developed. What environmental situations caused them to evolve like that etc. That applies to all races, not just Caitians.