Install Arc
Options

when are caitians coming out?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Aren't Klingons allergic to cats?

You need to make them hypoallergenic as a species.

They could be hairless. Like the Sphynx. Which was bred in Canada. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Aren't Klingons allergic to cats?

You need to make them hypoallergenic as a species.

Base them off Russian Blues. I had a Russian Blue and many people who claimed they were allergic to cats would love on him. Problem is a biped based Russian Blues would be far too cute for the Klingon faction.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I read that comic, it actaully wasnt that bad. However, it wasnt canon either. The whole reason the concept of canon exists is because everything with the ST name on it ISNT canon, and comics generally arent.

Awww how cute! You took me seriously :D
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    personae wrote:
    Shouldn't that be /facepaw?;)

Unbelievable what you find if you google "facepaw". :D

Klingons should get the Chalnoth or something like that. ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fenghuang wrote:
    Awww how cute! You took me seriously :D

Actually *I* didnt, but I knew someone would, hence my reply :o
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And as part of ship interiors...we must have...LITTERBOXES. :eek:
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The big question everyone is overlooking is:

Would Caitians (or the hypothetical/hypoalergenic KDF equivalent) use tribbles for snacking, and could we sell them our overabundance of the critters if they do? :D
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Actually *I* didnt, but I knew someone would, hence my reply :o

My faith in Ferengi cunning and savoir-faire is restored.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DocValance wrote:
    The big question everyone is overlooking is:

Would Caitians (or the hypothetical/hypoalergenic KDF equivalent) use tribbles for snacking, and could we sell them our overabundance of the critters if they do? :D
    Wouldn't Caitians have enough problems with hairballs without directly swallowing them?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wouldn't Caitians have enough problems with hairballs without directly swallowing them?
    The KDF equivalent would have a hard enough time harboring the greatest enemy of the Klingon Empire aboard their ships.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The KDF equivalent would have a hard enough time harboring the greatest enemy of the Klingon Empire aboard their ships.

then why do so many have them
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think considering the Caitians are a Federation species, they should stay exclusive to the Federation side, an another, alternative species be added to the Klingons. Possibly Catlike, yes, but with issues with the Kzinti and the Lyrans, what species would it be? Would Cryptic get to invent a warlike cat race? if so, the opprotunity to go all out with it would be amazing, I think.

Also, on this canon business... phooey! I don't personally care how that one alien looked in the movie (btw, I also dont think it matters if he was "meant" to be Caitian -- if they didn't say he was Caitian on screen, then he wasn't canonically), what it comes down to is, I want to play as MATT'S idea of a Caitian. He's the creative director on them, he's told us his vision, and his vision sounds good. So what's the problem? Let Matt do his thing! When we see a live action caitian on screen and someone says 'Yes, this is a Caitian!", then we'll worry about the visual differences (but personally, I think a merging between a realistic big cat and what we see in TAS is the best solution.)

Lets just get that WIP pic! Wooo!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Havraha wrote: »
    I think considering the Caitians are a Federation species, they should stay exclusive to the Federation side, an another, alternative species be added to the Klingons. Possibly Catlike, yes, but with issues with the Kzinti and the Lyrans, what species would it be? Would Cryptic get to invent a warlike cat race? if so, the opprotunity to go all out with it would be amazing, I think.

Absolutely not. enough of this "wahhhh feds get X so I want X too even if it makes no sense at all wahhh :mad:"
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Intrepidox wrote: »
    Absolutely not. enough of this "wahhhh feds get X so I want X too even if it makes no sense at all wahhh :mad:"

I think it's a better solution than the proposed "Caitians for everybody!" idea, which makes even less sense.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Havraha wrote: »
    I think it's a better solution than the proposed "Caitians for everybody!" idea, which makes even less sense.

Problem is, they've already shown that the 'X for everybody!' idea is how they'll go.

Joined Trill for the Klingon Empire? For real?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I honestly don't think the Klingons should get many more races. It doesn't make sense for them to keep adding races to their armies. They think that they are the best warriors in the galaxy. Why mess with perfection? Personally, instead of more races for Klingons, they should introduce more ships for them. Have Orion, Gorn, and Nausicaan ships variants for all the tiers. So where Feds get lots of races, they are locked into only so many ship designs where the Klingon faction might be limited on races, but their selection and customization of ships is far greater. Each side has a good perk. Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I honestly don't think the Klingons should get many more races. It doesn't make sense for them to keep adding races to their armies. They think that they are the best warriors in the galaxy. Why mess with perfection? Personally, instead of more races for Klingons, they should introduce more ships for them. Have Orion, Gorn, and Nausicaan ships variants for all the tiers. So where Feds get lots of races, they are locked into only so many ship designs where the Klingon faction might be limited on races, but their selection and customization of ships is far greater. Each side has a good perk. Just my thoughts.

I kinda like this, but considering I think the character creator is a huge draw of this game, it may just not be viable. People dig making their own avatar... and sure, although ships may be avatars of a sort, I just don't think it would tide the masses over. Especcially with how limited the customization for Klingons is now -- people are clamoring for moar.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fenghuang wrote:
    Actually, X-Men are part of Star Trek canon:

http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=30646

:eek:

HAHAHAHAHA, omg, seriously?!?

I love it! That is the WORST crossover idea ever, so that makes it incredibly awesome.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Here's hoping that Caitian fur can be all the colors that hair can be.

I may just have to roll up a blue Caitian.

Oh my stars and garters!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ranger Cameron isn't going to like that Yogi. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Here's hoping that Caitian fur can be all the colors that hair can be.

I may just have to roll up a blue Caitian.

Oh my stars and garters!

Why not, we already have Hulk variants running around :p
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It seems they dropped the race from the May update. It's not on the calendar anymore.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Vash627 wrote:
    It seems they dropped the race from the May update. It's not on the calendar anymore.

Wow. This has been answered. Many times.

In the Engineering Reports, they said they had to push them back.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wow. This has been answered. Many times.

In the Engineering Reports, they said they had to push them back.

But they have yet to offer a new date. Now they are in limbo again until we get some word back from Matt. Hopefully before June is out but I'm betting more likely near the mid to end of July.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    mhighison wrote: »
    Just wanted to let you all know:

The original May date posted on the Calender was posted in error. It will in fact be later than May.

There are a lot of design issues (species traits? Boffs? etc etc) that need to be worked out first before releasing them. And a bit of new tech to get them visually looking closer to what you all are asking for.

However, don't burst into tears just yet! ;)

I've seen it mentioned a few times that people really want tails on their Caitians and more of a "furry" appearance to their body, not just "smooth orange skin on a human face". These 2 things were a main priority for me. Caitians are indeed getting animated tails that sway around when idling, sort of like a Lion. I've also been working on some new shaders and "fur" stuff to make them nice and fuzzy. Meow.

I've also seen some questions as to what "style" they will be rendered in. The Undiscovered Country Caitians are a main reference for me, but personally I felt that the makeup they used for that film gave them too much of a Wolf-Man monstrous appearance. I always felt that they were intended to be proud big-cats, in a bipedal form. Lion or panther like. I also feel that they will look best rendered in a style that leans more towards realism than "Anime cat-person".

Obviously, we have some constraints to consider so they will work in the character system and in an MMO environment with all the abilities, etc. But I'm trying to get them looking right. (Fur is hard!)

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

Cheers,

Matt

(PS... since Caitians were delayed a bit, it gives me some time to put in a REALLY cool non-Caitian customization feature that will knock your socks/nacelles off. We'll let you know when we can talk more about it! )

Awesome stuff, can't wait...but guess I'll have to, lol.
    Intrepidox wrote: »
    since you guys have the tech now for animated parts like tails, can we see animated Andorian antaenna at some point?

GAWD yes, I would LOVE to have moving antenna on my Andorian BOFFs.
    Um, are you kidding? Your seriously weighing what was SHOWN in the MOVIES(aka canon) with how you THINK they were meant to look? Regardless of how you or I or anyone else feels they should look, the what was shown in the movie IS how they look.

Are YOU kidding? we have seen that make up advancement changes the appearance of any Trek alien from one day to the next. Tellarites in ENT vaguely resemble their TOS counterparts, the same thing goes for Romulans in ENT,TOS,TNG and movies. Andorians also have obvious changes in position of the antenna, size and shape of the heads as well as color. Borg in TNG look nothing like the ones in the movie or VOY. Klingons in the movies have obvious differences from the ones seen on TV and even the ones seen in TV change in appearance from season to season and show to show. Clearly, what a species looks like on Trek is subject to change from one day to the next. For an extreme example look at Trills in TNG and Trills in DS9.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wilv wrote: »
    Are YOU kidding? we have seen that make up advancement changes the appearance of any Trek alien from one day to the next. Tellarites in ENT vaguely resemble their TOS counterparts, the same thing goes for Romulans in ENT,TOS,TNG and movies. Andorians also have obvious changes in position of the antenna, size and shape of the heads as well as color. Borg in TNG look nothing like the ones in the movie or VOY. Klingons in the movies have obvious differences from the ones seen on TV and even the ones seen in TV change in appearance from season to season and show to show. Clearly, what a species looks like on Trek is subject to change from one day to the next. For an extreme example look at Trills in TNG and Trills in DS9.

Of course I'm not kidding. Your examples above prove absolutely nothing, because you are talking about one form of canon replacing another. TNG or ENT replacing something shown in TOS, for example. However, STO is NOT canon, and therefore has no authority to replace existing canon. I'm sorry if the Caitians shown in the movies were not "furry" enough for you, but that IS how they look until a more recent form of canon changes their appearance.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Of course I'm not kidding. Your examples above prove absolutely nothing, because you are talking about one form of canon replacing another. TNG replacing TOS, for example. However, STO is NOT canon, and therefore has no authority to replace existing canon.

As for canon, since this is a game presumably NOT in canon, they obviously have no reason to worry about canon because they are making it up as they go along. If the game however is canon, since EVERYTHING STO makes has to get the green light from CBS before it's put in game (or at least that was the explanation given as to the delay on the Nomad cruiser") I would assume that anything we see in game is fine by them and can be considered as such.
    Since the Caitians in the movies were poorly designed masks meant to be seen from far off quick camera angles I hope to gawd that they are not what we see in game. Heck even the animated Caitian is better looking than the ones in the movie. I'm not concerned w/ the amount of fur the species has or not have, I am concerned however w/ them turning out looking like a bad Halloween costume bought at a cheap store. One has to allow for not only technological advancement but also for creativity. I mean until ENT there was no canon explanation about the Klingon ridges and until DS9 it was simply understood that it was a matter of budget that allowed for better costumes. No explanation has ever been given about the Trill ridges turning into spots or the Romulans having ridges one day and none the next, these are simply understoo to be advancements in costume changes and nothing more. Obviously if a Caitian was to appear in the next Trek movie or show it would look nothing like the ones seen last.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    As for canon, since this is a game presumably NOT in canon, they obviously have no reason to worry about canon because they are making it up as they go along.

False. Even though this game is not canon, it is BASED on canon, and the Devs have already stated that the shows/movies are gospel as far as STO's development.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    False. Even though this game is not canon, it is BASED on canon, and the Devs have already stated that the shows/movies are gospel as far as STO's development.

BASED on and like anything based on an established product there will always and rightfully be room for creative license. I have NEVER seen a movie or a show, read a book or played a game that was based on some one else work that didn't have some creative adjustment done to it. But like I said above, since EVERYTHING STO makes has to get the green light from CBS before it's put in game (or at least that was the explanation given as to the delay on the Nomad cruiser") I would assume that anything we see in game is fine by them. So I wouldn't worry about what they end up looking like because if CBS doesn't think it's appropriate we will not see it and in spite of what you or I think they should look like if they like it they will give it the go ahead.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    BASED on and like anything based on an established product there will always and rightfully be room for creative license. I have NEVER seen a movie or a show, read a book or played a game that was based on some one else work that didn't have some creative adjustment done to it.

Then I take it you disagree with the ships/uniforms from the shows/movies looking the way they were portrayed in the shows/movies, and you would like them to look different as well?