test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Not able to start game

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hey, i have a problem because i am not able to start the game, the launcher loads but it is just white and i have tried various ways to get it working. Also it did work during the open beta.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    white screen is usually an indication there is a problem with IE browser. Besure IE can access the net and that it is not set to work offline. The launcher using MSHTML . If there is a problem with MSHTML usually fixing IE browser will take care of it. Also be sure your IE is not set up to use a proxy.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Doest it matter which version of IE i got?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    IE 6, 7, and 8 all should work fine for the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    okay, now i've got loading game please wait and it seems to be stuck or froze there so i'm going to try a new install of STO
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    iam having same problem.. how do i make sure my IE is not set to work offline. I use foxfire all the time soo, i know iam connected to the internet as iam typing this to you. but i tried to get IE to long onto yahoo and it said IE is not connected. ?? ( but iam tayping to you )lol

this is very fustreating. plz help
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ziriam wrote:
    iam having same problem.. how do i make sure my IE is not set to work offline. I use foxfire all the time soo, i know iam connected to the internet as iam typing this to you. but i tried to get IE to long onto yahoo and it said IE is not connected. ?? ( but iam tayping to you )lol

this is very fustreating. plz help

open IE in the menu bar select file there is an option says work offline . besure it is not checked
    you also need to go into tools menu and internet option connections lan settings and be sure use proxy server is not selected
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ok soo i did that.. and still neg.. cant get on useing IE i updated it useing firfox..
    this is what it says when i try to load up IE and it fails then says more information. i click it and it reads..

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

•Internet connectivity has been lost.
    •The website is temporarily unavailable.
    •The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    •The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
    •There might be a typing error in the address.
    •If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    To view subscribed feeds

1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to

*** btw i F**&9 hate IE ***
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    soound like you have a badly messed up IE. The game will not work without IE working.

You may need to remove it and go to microsoft and d/l and install IE 8.

You may also try using Hijack this to see if there is a plug in or something messing up your IE.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have downloaded the demo and installed the game but when I log in, it keeps saying the server is down, when I know that it isn't because my friends are all playing it at that very moment. Also, I can log into my account but it says I have no 'key'. I tried every combination of log in and it will only work one way and that way just brings me back to the server being down. (when it isn't). I even deleted the entire thing and re installed and restarted my system and it is still the same response. I even got the e-mail confirmations, still no luck. I don't understand.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Krobius wrote:
    I have downloaded the demo and installed the game but when I log in, it keeps saying the server is down, when I know that it isn't because my friends are all playing it at that very moment. Also, I can log into my account but it says I have no 'key'. I tried every combination of log in and it will only work one way and that way just brings me back to the server being down. (when it isn't). I even deleted the entire thing and re installed and restarted my system and it is still the same response. I even got the e-mail confirmations, still no luck. I don't understand.

to do the demo you need to activate the account as a demo account. The installer should have taken you to this link to activate. (note Chrome has been known to not work with the link)
    http://www.startrekonline.com/user/free_demo_start/Cryptic
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    PegasusMD wrote:
    to do the demo you need to activate the account as a demo account. The installer should have taken you to this link to activate. (note Chrome has been known to not work with the link)
    http://www.startrekonline.com/user/free_demo_start/Cryptic

THANK YOU! Nowhere on the demo page does it say that, but that fixed my problem. (Did a forum search before posting my own thread for a problem that has to already have been solved.)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Krobius wrote:

Me too, exactly as above. I can't imagine how many thousands of people are uninstalling STO due to your crappy demo (or poor documentation). If this is some sort of Windows 7 compatibility issue (and I'm guessing that it is) then you really need to get a "how to install the demo" sticky up here, because LOTS of people are talking about this problem on other sites. It's laughable that there's no "how to install" section in your FAQ that mentions the Windows 7 "must run launcher as admin" requirement or the Chrome incompatibility issue I stumbled across in a post from one of your users. And why isn't installation even mentioned in your so-called "manual?"