Install Arc
Options

Where is the Nomad?!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Stupid CBS :(

Next time you all go over there to get stuff approved, just use this move on them. Then you don't have to worry about getting approval :)

Ah yes, the Deadly Double Butt-to-cranium blow! Works every time. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Kudach wrote: »
    ...will the nomad be released once it is approved or will we have to wait is my main question..

Our goal is to get it out ASAP - so as soon as we get word on the redesign (which we've already turned around and submitted - since this is round 3) we'll work it into the next C-Store update.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    taallyn wrote: »
    Well, thanks for letting us know. However, a little announcement before this went live like this would have been nice. The Nomad was really the only thing I had been looking forward to in this update.

Perhaps they (The STO Dev Team) was hoping CBS/Paramount would approve it in time for this patch that went live today; and now that this didn't happen they are letting those who were looking forward to it know the situation. Again, the STO Dev Team had it ready to patch in, it's the CBS suits that are holding up the process at this point. Nothing Cryptic can do at this point except make the requested modifications and wait for the CBS Execs. to make a final decision.

Wlcome to the world of IP Licensing.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    Clearly some are frustrated and thats understandable - but this decision came down yesterday afternoon. Yes the ship was done ahead of time, in fact this is our 2nd iteration of it, but if it doesn't pass approval, we can't ship it. Not much more we can do other than redesign it again with the CBS feedback and hope it passes approval quickly.

can we haz screenshots of not approved version and be told what CBS did not like?

cuz... if they approve this: http://www.imagebanana.com/img/vqrl61y2/screenshot_20100427001449.jpg :eek:
    but not the new one, then how did that one look?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Armsman wrote: »
    Perhaps they (The STO Dev Team) was hoping CBS/Paramount would approve it in time for this patch that went live today; and now that this didn't happen they are letting those who were looking forward to it know the situation. Again, the STO Dev Team had it ready to patch in, it's the CBS suits that are holding up the process at this point. Nothing Cryptic can do at this point except make the requested modifications and wait for the CBS Execs. to make a final decision.

Wlcome to the world of IP Licensing.

CBS has the right of approval - and if they take issue with one of our custom ship designs - they are absolutely within their realm to ask us to change it - which in the case of the Nomad they had some concerns. Since we had already submitted round 2 - we had hoped that our initial redesign would get approved (which is why it was put into the schedule) but when it didn't (and the Maelstrom did) we swapped so that we can at least get one of the ships out.

Edit: Btw - we're not at liberty to put up images of ships that have not been CBS approved - for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Our goal is to get it out ASAP - so as soon as we get word on the redesign (which we've already turned around and submitted - since this is round 3) we'll work it into the next C-Store update.

If that doesn't work out ... you can keep the Bones Butt to Cranium attack in reserve as plan B.

Just sayin

;)
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Sweetish thanks dstahl
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    whoah, when I consider the current designs CBS has let slip I can only picture the nomads creation to have occured in a castle at night during a thunderstorm with an artist screaming "IT'S ALIVE!"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    superchum wrote: »
    The only feedback I would like to give at this stage of the process is ... please take the space worm/space whale/flattened spoon/flattened shovel comments to heart.

I am hoping the Nomad is more Trek looking than the current star cruisers.

I disagree. I love the current Star Cruisers and really hope the Nomad is more radical even so. To me that's part of the fun of the design of the 'new' ships Cryptic makes; that they are different and a bit 'out there' compared to more traditional Trek designs.

After all, why rehash the same thing over, and over, and over again?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    While I am all for the fairly abundant dev/player communication we have been getting, I think Cryptic needs to learn the hard lesson here that you don't put out that something will become available, change or fixed by a specific timeframe. It will always come back to bite you in the end lol.

Still, shame on you guys for finding out yesterday and not letting the players know at that time that there was a problem. That's the kind of communication people expect.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    personae wrote:
    Ah yes, the Deadly Double Butt-to-cranium blow! Works every time. :D

That's what makes the Shat-Foo fighting style so deadly - it's so ridiculous, there is no way to counter it.

They could also try using the human projectile or if they really wanted to do some serious damage, the classic drop kick.

Any of those would sufficiently devastate the CBS execs, thereby eliminating the need for their approval on anything :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm really curious about what the CBS issues with the design were.

Who are these people at CBS in charge of this? I'm curious if these are people that have worked with the Star Trek IP before or are just some random suits in the licensing department.

I'm curious how qualified they are on deciding what is or is not Star Trek enough.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Edit: Btw - we're not at liberty to put up images of ships that have not been CBS approved - for obvious reasons.

Not even as Artwork?
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Considering you guys have posted an image of the Comet I assume it has been CBS approved so I'm wondering why we haven't seen it yet in game. It's a very cool looking ship.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Who are these people at CBS in charge of this? I'm curious if these are people that have worked with the Star Trek IP before or are just some random suits in the licensing department.

I'm curious how qualified they are on deciding what is or is not Star Trek enough.

Actually there are things already in the game that I know is not "Star Trek enough" already.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I disagree. I love the current Star Cruisers and really hope the Nomad is more radical even so. To me that's part of the fun of the design of the 'new' ships Cryptic makes; that they are different and a bit 'out there' compared to more traditional Trek designs.

After all, why rehash the same thing over, and over, and over again?

I look at this way ... the Imperial was a pretty big departure from the Assault Cruisers.

If the Nomad were to be a departure from the current star cruisers ... and have more traditional trek-like look to it then ...

Folks like you who like the space whale still have the 3 space whales to choose from. Folks like me who want the departure have the option to buy the departure from the C-Store and equip it. It makes Cryptic some money on the side. It gives us more choice and flexibility. And you still have three very viable, very cuddly space whales to feed space fish to at your disposal.

;)

After all why rehash yet another space whale when we already have three?
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I say we sick Commodore Decker on those silly CBS suits! He'll take care of them! :p

Back to reality, and this is just a question; do they say something looks "too Trek" or "not Trek enough"? I'm curious why they would reject a new design at all, since there isn't really any Trek shows in production anymore.

I ask because I remember the Defiant was going to be named the "U.S.S. Valiant", but had to be renamed when Paramount greenlit the Voyager series and didn't want conflicting "V" names with the ships.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Considering you guys have posted an image of the Comet I assume it has been CBS approved so I'm wondering why we haven't seen it yet in game. It's a very cool looking ship.

I want to see this "comet" link?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Who are these people at CBS in charge of this? I'm curious if these are people that have worked with the Star Trek IP before or are just some random suits in the licensing department. I'm curious how qualified they are on deciding what is or is not Star Trek enough.

Our licensing contact at CBS has always seemed very knowledgeable about Trek whenever we've gone through reviews. He knows his stuff and we can show him a new prop we want to add to the game and he can pretty much tell us what it is and what it does. It's not someone in a high tower who has only heard of Trek. Since the same person deals with books, toys, etc... it may very well be that they are pushing this ship in a specific direction for a reason.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    CBS has the right of approval - and if they take issue with one of our custom ship designs - they are absolutely within their realm to ask us to change it - which in the case of the Nomad they had some concerns. Since we had already submitted round 2 - we had hoped that our initial redesign would get approved (which is why it was put into the schedule) but when it didn't (and the Maelstrom did) we swapped so that we can at least get one of the ships out.

Dstahl, did you use my line when resubmitting it for the 3rd time? ("Blow it out your TRIBBLE")??? Just checking... Tell them the truth. "Approval = More Content = More Money".... how hard is that to approve.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Given how ugly the other ship skins have been so far, I wonder just how hideous the Nomad must have been to be rejected?

I really wish they'd start sticking more to the classic designs. Smooth, not bricks.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    Not even as Artwork?

I understand the desire to see what they already designed. I share the desire. But I don't think they're gonna let us see behind the curtain.

;)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    superchum wrote: »
    The only feedback I would like to give at this stage of the process is ... please take the space worm/space whale/flattened spoon/flattened shovel comments to heart.

I am hoping the Nomad is more Trek looking than the current star cruisers. I think a lot of us are.

Good luck getting it through approval. Here's to not losing hope about the wayward travels of the Nomad on its long journey through the maze of corporate red tape.

:)

The Star Cruisers do look too flat from some angles, but I don't see what's so non-Star Trek about it. The new starship designs have been getting more and more streamlined as evidence by the Intrepid and Sovereign. The Vesta class ships from the books like the USS Aventine were clearly the inspiration for the Star Cruisers and are sort of the missing design link between the newer canon ships and what we have now.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dstahl, would you be able to post screenshots of the two version that failed CBS's tests, or is that not allowed in your contract with CBS? I'd like to see the designs so I can see just how strict their QA is.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    awww this makes me sad, I was really hoping to fly around in the Nomad today...

I have kinda been hoping that it will be a vanguard style, but with a rounder saucer section and raised nacelles/pylons, to make it a little more trek looking..

I can now only imagine what might have been, I suppose... god knows how long approval from CBS will take..
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just stop right now, listen to yourselves and take a deep breath...

My god...

It aint Cryptics fault everytime, when something isnt going to be in the game as announced. If CBS decides to take down STO now, you cant do anything against it... not even Cryptic could... so stop blaming them all the time. They are doing their job. And as it seems at the best.

Sometimes the Trek-Community is a real pain in the butt... *shakes head and walks away*
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Kudach wrote: »
    I want to see this "comet" link?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=181
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The Star Cruisers do look too flat from some angles, but I don't see what's so non-Star Trek about it. The new starship designs have been getting more and more streamlined as evidence by the Intrepid and Sovereign. The Vesta class ships from the books like the USS Aventine were clearly the inspiration for the Star Cruisers and are sort of the missing design link between the newer canon ships and what we have now.

For me, it's mainly the flatness. Sometimes when I'm flying through sector space, it just seems to be my entire ship is bisected by a flat plane, so it makes turning look ... meh.

I like my star cruiser. I just want a change. To something a bit different looking. Which is why I'm so excited about the Nomad. I want a new skin.

:)

I don't want my star cruiser to look like a constitution class vessel. I just want something different.

I look at all the variant skins thus far ... skin is a good word for them. They all seem to be under the same basic geometry of the ship at that tier. Which is part of the mechanics (it's why all the cruisers at T3 have 4 nacelles, for instance). And you look at the Nimbus. It's kind of what I'm looking for here in general from the Nomad. It shares the same basic geometry of all the DSSVs. But it's radically different enough to please me. That's what I want. Something as different as the Nimbus is from the Trident.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Just stop right now, listen to yourselves and take a deep breath...

My god...

It aint Cryptics fault everytime, when something isnt going to be in the game as announced. If CBS decides to take down STO now, you cant do anything against it... not even Cryptic could... so stop blaming them all the time. They are doing their job. And as it seems at the best.

Sometimes the Trek-Community is a real pain in the butt... *shakes head and walks away*

After dstahl said on page 1 it was held back by CBS, did someone blame Cryptic for delay? If not, maybe the horse is too high.
  • Options
    edited April 2010