Can't take criticism?

Obviously, you can't take it either.
  • Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    Obviously, you can't take it either.

Critisism: offering something to help someone improve

Forum troll: giving one liners without any real substance or input.

Case closed.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Good effort, but needs a middleground option of "A good idea, but not like this!"

I'll abstain for now.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Borticus wrote: »
    An excellent point, Kirkfat... Stay tuned to STOked for my response. I know that sounds like a PR/Cop-Out, but I seriously have words about this whole endeavor, and they need to be shared with the folks that watch our show.

But, as someone who now holds a position to voice the opinions of their own viewers separate from the official forums and directly to the developers, I tend to think that you now have a bigger responsibility to let all of the players get your responses here on the official forums.

Why? If your input will have an effect on the game for the entirety of the player base, then it's only right that that input should appear here - as well as in your 'casts.

That's transparency.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Post removed
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Stelakh wrote: »
    But, as someone who now holds a position to voice the opinions of their own viewers separate from the official forums and directly to the developers, I tend to think that you now have a bigger responsibility to let all of the players get your responses here on the official forums.

Why? If your input will have an effect on the game for the entirety of the player base, then it's only right that that input should appear here - as well as in your 'casts.

That's transparency.

This is not a government agency. This is not a board that will make decisions for the entire player base. This is a way to tap into a player base that has no voice on the forums. It is a way to get more information added to the info they will keep listening to here on the forums as well as polls and surveys in the future.

It is an expansion of input gathering, nothing more. Cryptic chose the wrong wording for this program. But intentions are clear here from the devs. http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=147670
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Skylan wrote:
    This is not a government agency. This is not a board that will make decisions for the entire player base. This is a way to tap into a player base that has no voice on the forums. It is a way to get more information added to the info they will keep listening to here on the forums as well as polls and surveys in the future.

It is an expansion of input gathering, nothing more. Cryptic chose the wrong wording for this program. But intentions are clear here from the devs. http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=147670

I've read it. And stand by my point. I did not say that members of this "council" will be making decisions. I said that they will have a direct link to the developers that will have an effect on the game in its entirety.

That is why, when they have something to say about the game, given their direct communication with Cryptic, all players should be made aware of the suggestions they're making. Not just the people on their forums. They may be third-party, but they have first-party access, and their suggestions could easily affect the game as a whole.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    They are all members of the community that have made websites, and things of that sort for the game. For instance, STOked is an STO based web-show. As for their names, they all seem to meet the TOS. The USS names are actually links to their respective websites.

Shutupwesley.com has almost nothing to do w/ ST except the passing reference in the site name
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Skylan wrote:

these people could have their voices heard on the forums. they choose not to. thats no ones fault but theirs
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    these people could have their voices heard on the forums. they choose not to. thats no ones fault but theirs

That is very true. The forums will still be the main source of info and input from us. But, the game is a buisness as well. They are always looking to expand. So they would like other ways to reach a larger audience.

There are many players that avoid the forums like the plague. There are also many ST fans that still have never heard of STO. So I understand that is the players choice not to come here. But that doens't help Crptic find out what these players think or why ST fans aren't playing STO.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What i found funny is that I got a notice from startrek.com about the game 2 months after its release, lol. So i can believe that ST fans may not know its there.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is this another round of forum goers nerd rage at the darnedest things?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Borticus wrote: »
    You see it as a problem because you think this Council will carry more weight than the already-existing lines of communication that are drawn between players & Devs on these very forums. Those are not going away.

This Council thingy is an attempt to reach out to players and fans of STO that otherwise are not being heard. Do you have any idea how many people do NOT come to these forums? If they are instead fans of STOked or TrekMovie or whatever other site eventually ends up on the Council, then THIS becomes their option to have their voices heard by Cryptic/Atari.

I can't speak for anyone besides myself, but I think the three greatest concerns are:
    • The Council won't be as transparent or subject to criticism/debate as the forums.
    • The Council will carry as much, or possibly even more weight than already-existing lines of communication.
    • The Council won't reduce the feedback-to-noise ratio, but instead only increase it.
    Say what you will about this message board, but it's the one place ALL subscribers (assuming they abide by community standards) have equal access to, and can be held accountable for.

BTW, for whatever it's worth, I don't doubt your integrity or good intentions, Jeremy (same for Chris too). I like you guys and very much enjoy your show. I just don't know that this whole Council jazz is truly in the best interest of the game. However I'll be more than delighted to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Kaiserhawk wrote: »
    Is this another round of forum goers nerd rage at the darnedest things?

Are you another pathetic example of a forum troll? Take a nice dose of stfu next time...