Options

Death penalty coming? (i think so)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Rumbleskin wrote: »
    DP is needed so is the slider, This game is total carebear
    DP is not needed, neither is the slider. This game is not carebear.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Colm wrote: »
    DP is not needed, neither is the slider. This game is not carebear.

LOL@ LOL.com
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rumbleskin wrote: »
    LOL@ LOL.com

How dare you insult my fave toon! Captain Tickle Tummy of the USS Sunshine!!! :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    People ask for DP, thinking they're some HC gamer or whatever. Then when they get DP they simply desert the game because it's too hard and they can't come back and whine without loosing their credibility. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    First they have to remove random deaths due to 10 ship formations being in your patrol spawn point before a penalty could be acceptable, bringing me to an off-topic point, was this game ever tested? In fact, do the programmers even know how to program? Do you guys need me to direct you to a hello world tutorial? I'll be happy to assist with development, perhaps by myself, assuming I can take your collective salaries. Checking whether one thing or vector or whatever is within a certain range of another thing is built into every graphics and/or physics library ever made. And if you have that one exception, then you can just think back to 8th grade and that Greek guy with his fancy triangles and squaring and square-rooting and find the vector length yourself. I must infer that they were too busy writing the code that accidentally overcharged everyone $30 to realize the 100% probability of instant death.

Well, back to patrol missions. I have a drinking bird that presses spacebar while I go for a jog. Not to say that this isn't chess, cause I mean there are a lot of interesting options, like should I train emergency battery for 5 seconds of elevated power, potentially regenning an extra 3 shield or reverse shield polarity for 15 seconds of invincibility?

The game is deep, balanced, bug-free, and a tribute to all who worked on it.

http://www.hitmill.com/programming/cpp/helloWorld.htm

If you get an error you don't understand, you probably forgot a semicolon.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Im not for a DP, because when I go in a mission. I actually try not to die. Why? because every time I die that sets me back another 5-10 minutes from moving on to something else. I dont try to blow thru the content. But when I do die, I switch things up and attempt a different tactic anyway. So a DP would be unnecessary for me seeing as the reasoning for it is exactly what I do already.

But since they will implement one, hopefully its something along the lines of damage to consoles and equipment giving us a reason to go back to Sol ShipDock and have our equipment returned to normal.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    liamr95 wrote:
    Could this mean we WILL be getting a death penalty? share your views in the thread
    Yes, we ARE getting a death penalty. The reason they're aiming for an April release on it, is because Craig Zinkievich said in an interview that they want to do a DP that doesn't feel like a "time-out" punishment for dying. They want a DP that's different, that fits with Star Trek, and will be more favorable for the player.

I even outlined a proposal for such a DP in my own thread (see my signature), in which I suggest using a point value system on starship systems and consoles.

But yes, we ARE getting a DP.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    More and More Death Penalty threads, wish we had this many when the debat was going on.
    First off, any form of "Go and Repair" is going to be majorly annoying and will kill this game. Infected takes 2 hours to complete and with the number of deaths that take place, "Go and Repair" will easily turn it into a 4+ hour raid, no casual player is going to sit through that especially since all the gear from the raid can be bought using Mark of Exploration. Whats the trade off of spending 4 hours in a 2 hour raid for gear we can easily get with Marks?

The only Death Penality I can see Cryptic using is the XP Debuff that they have used in one of their past games. It will slow down leveling for everyone scream "10 days is to long to admiralz zomg newbzz! ><" and will still allow all of us to do the raid content as it is currently, since RA5s don't require XP the debuff would be useless, thus Infected won't be any more than the headache it already is...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    liamr95 wrote:
    Hello

Was just looking at the calandar on: http://www.startrekonline.com/calendar

Is it me? or does the Releasing in april section say::

RELEASING IN APRIL
    Difficulty Slider
    Death Penalty Solution
    Space Autofire Enhancement
    Memory Alpha Enhancement
    STF: Khitomer Accord
    STF: Undine Terradome

Could this mean we WILL be getting a death penalty? share your views in the thread

i'm thinking coh death penalty.
    crytpic did make coh (my other naughty habit) and the death penalty/ patrol exsperiences works really well in that game.
    i.e. when you die you get a "exp debt"... it doesn't actually take away from your existing exp, but instead adds a second over lapping line of exp (or debt) that you need to work off first before you can begin gaining more exp. this way you don't lose any exp based skills or rank.
    also patrol exp = nice touch
    if your character is logged out for an extended period of time it gains "patrol" exsperience... which is esentially a 2x exsperience boost that is based on how long your character has been logged out (so if it's been logged out for like a year you'll have double xp all the way to lvl 50...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Haya wrote: »
    My view? Outdated game mechanics are not fun.

Agreed. DP is not needed and STO is not designed to have one. Let it be.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think a cosmetic DP would be cool. Your ship gets all battle scarred until you put it in space dock. Limping a damaged ship back to space dock would add to the feel that a war is going on. Maybe trailing warp core juice with a missing nacelle. There is something cool about winning the day against tough odds and barley making it home. If it stays cosmetic then you can finish group missions. Any reduction in skills or damage might make a mission impossible, thus boning your friends or your pick up group. Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Intrepidox wrote: »
    I used to want a death penalty. but after seeing how ridiculous the STF's are, I don't anymore.

this is very true.....the raids you die alot in no matter what players say..and if you that hard core and dont die in infected prove it and youtube it...becouse ive talked to alot of players that run this and die at lest a hand full of times...so DP in this would be BS.......
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i'm thinking coh death penalty.
    crytpic did make coh (my other naughty habit) and the death penalty/ patrol exsperiences works really well in that game.
    i.e. when you die you get a "exp debt"... it doesn't actually take away from your existing exp, but instead adds a second over lapping line of exp (or debt) that you need to work off first before you can begin gaining more exp. this way you don't lose any exp based skills or rank.
    also patrol exp = nice touch
    if your character is logged out for an extended period of time it gains "patrol" exsperience... which is esentially a 2x exsperience boost that is based on how long your character has been logged out (so if it's been logged out for like a year you'll have double xp all the way to lvl 50...

Thats like "Rest XP" and I do like it, but I'm not too sure how it would work in a non-grinding game, meaning all of our XP is earned through missions. Unless, they make it where we can receive an increase from mission that we complete then the Bonus XP would work just fine :) and yes I could see Cryptic doing this and I could completely support it since theres no XP to gain at the level cap. With Current Raids as they are, any other death penality would be game breaking, aside from an option to turn it off :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I could tolerate dept xp as a DP, but anything else I think would be game-breaking... expecially considering DSEs like to get spawn-camped by the mobs.

Ill just have to wait and see if I get to save 300$ or not when the DP is forced upon us.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They should make DP optional, so all the people who actually ask for it can just switch it on if they want and let the rest of us have our fun. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They should make DP optional, so all the people who actually ask for it can just switch it on if they want and let the rest of us have our fun. :rolleyes:

No you cannont have a dp optional its you either have it or not, and if they are going to add it make it xp debt this way it will force people to group up more on certain things. Note i said certain things cause atm most of the stuff is so easy a caveman can do it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've never understood the idiocy of a death penalty. Contrary to people's opinion it doesn't make the game more challenging it makes things far more annoying. Its a waste of time and has zero effect on the difficulty of the game. Either the people can complete the mission and do so or they die, respawn and attempt a different tactic. All a death penalty does is annoy you. Or if taken to an extreme cause you to quit playing...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Chronico wrote: »
    No you cannont have a dp optional its you either have it or not
    You a programer ? I sense not. It's totally doable.

There was mention of being able to change the difficulty level, which isn't that far from switching DP on or off.

I doubt they'll do it though, because if you can switch if on or off, everyone will leave it off, of course, even the peeps who want DP. They'll switch it off because other people switch it off. Goes to show that deep down, nobody truely wants DP, some peeps just want to be viewed as cool HC gamers (supposedly the opposite of carebears), so they say they want it. But they really don't. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You a programer ? I sense not. It's totally doable.

There was mention of being able to change the difficulty level, which isn't that far from switching DP on or off.

I doubt they'll do it though, because if you can switch if on or off, everyone will leave it off, of course, even the peeps who want DP. They'll switch it off because other people switch it off. Goes to show that deep down, nobody truely wants DP, some peeps just want to be viewed as cool HC gamers (which is the opposite to carebears), so they say they want it. But they really don't. ;)

You are right i am not but as I said you cannont, and you just made a main reason why. also DP helps people become better strategists forces people to use the brain not just fly in and kill die repeat.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A death penalty makes little sense in a game with fast, arcade-like combat in which you're guaranteed to die often.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A death penalty makes little sense in a game with fast, arcade-like combat in which you're guaranteed to die often.

That i also agree with which is why i suspect they are nerfing power management to make it less arcade like.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    also DP helps people become better strategists forces people to use the brain not just fly in and kill die repeat.
    I disagree. People play strategy or they don't, you can't force it upon them. I know a good number of people that'll just stop playing because of DP. Yet I don't see anyone joining the game thanx to it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A death penalty wont make people think any more about battle tactics than a skill-cap makes them think harder on which skills to improve....

wait...

Never mind. :cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    CTMC wrote:
    A death penalty wont make people think any more about battle tactics than a skill-cap makes them think harder on which skills to improve....

wait...

Never mind. :cool:

lol nice and yes a DP does make people better just look at wow and how many people cant play that game correctly despite having all the abilitys info via tooltip, main reason cause there is not really a DP so people dont learn what abiltys/sequinces to the most dps/healing/tanking.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    CTMC wrote:
    Attempted derail.

This thread is not about the skill cap there are plenty of threads for that. Lets stick to the topic of DP.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    lol nice and yes a DP does make people better just look at wow and how many people cant play that game correctly despite having all the abilitys info via tooltip, main reason cause there is not really a DP so people dont learn what abiltys/sequinces to the most dps/healing/tanking.

No, people don't want to learn in WoW because they want to have fun, not deal with spread sheets, elitists and boring annoyances.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just like in Real Life, you will die.
    How you deal with it defines your character.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think a cosmetic DP would be cool. Your ship gets all battle scarred until you put it in space dock. Limping a damaged ship back to space dock would add to the feel that a war is going on. Maybe trailing warp core juice with a missing nacelle. There is something cool about winning the day against tough odds and barley making it home. If it stays cosmetic then you can finish group missions. Any reduction in skills or damage might make a mission impossible, thus boning your friends or your pick up group. Just a thought.

it already does that. as your ship takes hull dmg it visually shows it until your repair crew is able to repair your hull strength
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I was going to say I haven't come across any other stand along game with a DP, in a way STO is a stand along, not really a true MMO, only a hand full of quests you have to be grouped for in this game.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Haya wrote: »
    No, people don't want to learn in WoW because they want to have fun, not deal with spread sheets, elitists and boring annoyances.

Which is why its full of people who have no clue how to play the game/class and then go around and complain when things are to hard and not handed to them. And thats why you see everyone and there mama in good end tier gear now because everyone a winner in that game. And if you dont want to deal with spreadsheets and elitist annoyances then MMo's are not for you considering that before WOW you actually had to have a full team of people who actually new how to play the game/class to get things done and gear which is how it should be.