Install Arc
Options

Season One Pre-Patching

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    rangerxml wrote: »
    Ok, pre-patching successfull,. I also took the pre-patch files off my desktop and put them on my notebook at work and it seem to have worked. The game checked the file then shutdown, on restart it did the 16mb patch. Hopefully all is well, now release the new content already.

I did exactly the same as you but resulted in when I played the game and quited the pre-load patch started again despite me moving prepatch file from STO folder on my system.

STO team help we need your assistance!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dimerx wrote:
    I did exactly the same as you but resulted in when I played the game and quited the pre-load patch started again despite me moving prepatch file from STO folder on my system.

STO team help we need your assistance!!!

Every time I log out it just does a quick check of the files and quits.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Umm it's the 18th and the prepatch is done but yet it's still showing the same build version as it was before.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah any ideas as to when the big patch is gonna be active?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They have announced that the patch will not go live until next week Thursday the 25th.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    After downloding the prepatch 3 times and getting the files reduced to 65kb ea by that darn 16mb patch. I made a copy of the prepatch files and set them aside.

Now i simply cancel the prepatching when i log off and when the BIG day will be here, i'll transfer the files back where they supposed to be and I'll see how it goes.

I'm done wasting bandwith for nothing.

IMO a manual download would have been much simpler and by far... less problematic.

Also, the devs should add on their "to do" list, a revision of the status display of the autopatcher. Showing 0% after a reconnect when you actually got 75% of the total download already on your disk is to say the least, confusing. Might as well just have a button turn to DONE when it's done 'cause as it is now, it serves no other purpose than confusing us.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yesterday 2gb and today 2gb ?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Picard2010 wrote: »
    Yesterday 2gb and today 2gb ?

wait exit game and reboot start game exit and you will redown load the same 2074MB files again .........3rd time for me also today. I got the download yesterday of the same 2074MB and never had it redownload it over and over till today.....................so how did you stop letting it start the download again
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sinhealer wrote:
    They have announced that the patch will not go live until next week Thursday the 25th.

Maan that sucks I was looking forward to trying it out tonight... any reason for the delay? :(
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Frankyt49 wrote: »
    Maan that sucks I was looking forward to trying it out tonight... any reason for the delay? :(

We had the 18th up on the splash page because that was the first date in the window we provided in the calendar. Now that the 18th is coming up and we're a bit more comfortable, we changed the date to the 25th, which is a bit more accurate. We wanted to get the update more time on Tribble in order to get more feedback from you guys, so when it does release it's in as good a state as possible.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=139816&page=2

Just making sure it as good as it can be.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Downloaded the 2000MBish patch fine. Why, now, am I downloading 20MB every time I sign into STO?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Downloaded the 2000MBish patch fine. Why, now, am I downloading 20MB every time I sign into STO?

Yeah, same with me.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I really like this way of patching. It is a welcome change from other MMOs where you had to download everything in a manual patch (as in LOTRO) or wait forever once the patch goes live for the update before you can play. This way game play is uninterrupted.

Very well done. Looking forward to Season 1 ^^
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sinhealer wrote:
    We had the 18th up on the splash page because that was the first date in the window we provided in the calendar. Now that the 18th is coming up and we're a bit more comfortable, we changed the date to the 25th, which is a bit more accurate. We wanted to get the update more time on Tribble in order to get more feedback from you guys, so when it does release it's in as good a state as possible.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=139816&page=2

Just making sure it as good as it can be.

To be honest it would have been alot better just to release the entire patch when you know most things are ready. This is very premeature and unprofessional releasing a prepatch that does not activate giving false hopes for fans. Only to find we have to wait a little longer. Like a few other very disappointed. Alternatively should have done update in stages in what you know is ok to release.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sinhealer wrote:
    Well seeing that Phoxe has responded to the problem a couple of times in this thread and they admit there is problems with it this would be the right thread to post it in,also your remarks about other players is very much uncalled for.

Back on TOPIC,

I am now downloading the pre-patch for a 3rd time,If after this time that it still tries to download the pre-patch again I think I will just cancel it each time I log off and wait until the night before the patch does release,or indeed just download the patch after it has gone live.

These things happen I guess.

I disagree.
    There is a technical support section of the forum for a reason.
    Those of us without this problem would like to read threads like this for information on the actual topic not the problems that should be in another section.

Space is a big place go grab some.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How can we make sure we have downloaded the patch...I was letting mine DL when I left for work this morning, came home to find my network had borked itself sometime after I left. I've logged in and out a couple times, only the little 20meg file once during that time.

Just want to make sure I have it. I've already had enuff issues with patching this game already.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Merced wrote: »
    I really like this way of patching. It is a welcome change from other MMOs where you had to download everything in a manual patch (as in LOTRO) or wait forever once the patch goes live for the update before you can play. This way game play is uninterrupted. Very well done...

and:
    Dimerx wrote:
    To be honest it would have been alot better just to release the entire patch when you know most things are ready. This is very premeature and unprofessional releasing a prepatch that does not activate giving false hopes for fans. Only to find we have to wait a little longer. Like a few other very disappointed. Alternatively should have done update in stages in what you know is ok to release.

LOL. Poor Cryptic - they can't win no matter what they do. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Recieved the 1,15 GB patch [~20 minutes], than another 6,5MB after starting the launcher ~1hour later, but only once. So everything seems to run well.

[All sizes refer to the size of the patch itself (what i need to dl, line "Recieved"), not the amount of data that are changed (local work, "Patched").]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I prefer this way of patching as well. When it's officially released, we'll all be able to get into the game faster because the servers won't be bogged down with everyone downloading the bulk of Season 1 at the same time.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Now up to now, I've been playing off of a updated Beta Client installation, but it absolutly refused to attempt the pre-patch download. So last evening I tried the drastic solution of uninstalling my STO client, reinstalling off of one of retail package DVDs, letting it synch up to the latest patch level, and had no futher problems downloading the pre-patch...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Is there any chance of someone zipping up their pre-patch directory and torrenting it please?

I'm very close to my download limit this month and everytime I quit it starts the 2 Gb all over again

So if I download it once and squirrel it away somewhere I can stop it from attempting the download itself and still get going once it goes live.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Now up to now, I've been playing off of a updated Beta Client installation, but it absolutly refused to attempt the pre-patch download. So last evening I tried the drastic solution of uninstalling my STO client, reinstalling off of one of retail package DVDs, letting it synch up to the latest patch level, and had no futher problems downloading the pre-patch...

What do you think was on that disc? Those discs were pressed long before the open beta even started.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Jimoc wrote:
    Is there any chance of someone zipping up their pre-patch directory and torrenting it please?

I'm very close to my download limit this month and everytime I quit it starts the 2 Gb all over again

So if I download it once and squirrel it away somewhere I can stop it from attempting the download itself and still get going once it goes live.

Simple,

DOwnload the pre-patch, go into your STO folder find the prepatch folder, copy it to a safe location and log back into STO u will download the stupid 16meg patch and lose the 1.5 gig download BUT you will have copied it someplace safe so you can always copy it back when the patch does deploy
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    dantivirus wrote: »
    Umm it's the 18th and the prepatch is done but yet it's still showing the same build version as it was before.

There's a reason for that. See below.
    Sinhealer wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    People don't seem to understand what "pre" means.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    it means we have to wait longer, :P
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Even if the production disks were pressed before Open Beta started, when was the code finialized for the Open Beta??? And QA may have been stricter for the retail package release, as it would be painful to try to recall the pressed DVDs issued in the retail packages...

(One immediate difference I've noticed is the checkbox to remember the User Account name is no longer present after the reinstall) There may be some differences in the Windoze registries created, (such as the install directory location) that may be making the functional difference...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    People don't seem to understand what "pre" means.

Yes but at the same time most will assume pre patch to mean Pre the big patch launch not pre the 16mb patch. What a shock that cryptic has a bug in the system . How unusual.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    C'mon just release it already, thinking i should have canceled my subscription for the next 2 weeks if I know this, would have saved a bit of money since the game is pretty boring and everyone probably has at least 3 RA5s now.

I do agree that CRYPTIC needs to be very careful about posting the wrong release dates for the updates, its almost like false advirtising again, like their "proper" list of preorder content and availability lol.

Note for CRYPTIC,
    You guys need to start getting the ball rolling, in terms of the fleet bugs and other issues you should have learned something from CCP and other MMOs for getting their fixes out in a timely manner. You also need to police yourselves about posting the write stuff and real dates. Almost seems to be an issue of honesty if that is a proper word for it...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    In preparation for the release of the Season One update, you will be prompted to download a pre-patch the next time you log out of Star Trek Online (once the pre-patch is turned on this evening.)

A dialog box will appear when you log out and begin downloading files into a /prepatch folder that will require approximately 1.5 GB of Hard Drive space.

First, thank you for the heads-up, and I love the idea of being able to download the pre-patch files. I don't want to be stuck in a 'forever download' when everyone else is trying to get the same 1.5 GBs, so thank you very much!

Now, the problem for me is the size - I am stuck out in the boonies with a satellite connection and a download limit that kills my speed as soon as I go over it. I am allowed unlimited downloads between 2 and 5 am. So it would be great if I could go to a website and schedule the download to happen later. Anywhere I can do this? Thanks!