What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season One Pre-Patching

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Why is it downloading over and over again? I've downloaded the entire 2 GB's of patch once, and now it's trying to download the whole stuff again and again, and of course when I leave the computer, it's shutting down after some time, the connection is reset, and then the download is at about 46% ... I just wonder why it's downloading again after I've done the whole thing before (fully downloaded with no errors).

~ Jham
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You were supporting the current train wreck of a prepatch while sounding superior and snarky.

I have posted elsewhere that Cryptic should refrain from what other MMO's do until they can do that at the other MMO's quality of standard.

The less Cryptic programming subscribers have to deal with the better so no prepatch, just the whole patch instead.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Why can't they just make the patch system work before giving us a maga patch that gets interuped and resets itself.

Im sure they have enough experiance to do this. Why all the mistakes? Of all the emplyees working for Cryptic how is it everything has to be re-done? Its not even a new game engine.

I don't expect anyone to anwser my questions they were meant to taunt the Devs.

I just want it fixed :(
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ive logged in and out like 7 times now and no pre patch message/folder or prompt any tips?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am not calaling anyone here idiots, im calaling the devs at cryptic idiots due to their inability to introduce even a patching system that isnt bugged and then ignoring the fact.

Fanois stating prepatching is done thing is all well and good but since we know that do you maybe think we are complaining about prepatch bugs ie prepatching mulitple times each time we log etc?

Dont start trying to act smart by telling us how the industry works because it sure as hell doesnt work like this.

Pre patch notice goes up
    pre patch takes place
    servers go down
    small patch and pre patch unpacking
    servers up

cryptics way ;
    Prepatch notice goes up
    pre patch takes place
    login deletes prepatch with small d/l
    prepatch takes place
    prepatch takes place
    prepatch takes place
    prepatch takes place
    prepatch takes place
    prepatch takes place
    prepatch takes place

get the idea yet ? THIS isnt industry standard or the genre would be dead.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I really think some of you need to take a look at the state of your own systems instead of just pointing your fingers at Cryptic every time something goes wrong. It's a damn pre-patch, not rocket science. If Cryptic didn't know how to create a patch and system to deliver it. Then we'd be lucky to be flying around as O's instead of ships and the Klingons would be X's. The blame Cryptic tone around here really is getting old!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You are an idiot.

I built my system myself and know everything is working.

can't say the same for Cryptic's stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, it looks like the feedback wave has ended. After logging out today, there was a window popping up for a short moment, but no prepatch download again, so I guess it's finally installed now. There was no small download after login either.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dimerx wrote:
    I think their is some change, as notice my launcher version has changed to CL_2010_03_19_15_04. This time when i quit the game launcher starts and then u see it patching then is disappears.

What I did was that I copied the prepatch directory and moved it away form STO Live folder and before i started the game client i copied it back. The launcher started downloaded 15mg patch and went into game. When I quit the game launcher did re-appear (aborted this couple times before), but this time launcher disappeared after it patched. I re-started the launcher went into the game. However, I do notice, everytime you quit, the launcher re-appears and checks and disappears again after couple of seconds.

Since the post I made before (above) I have noticed that everytime I quit the game. The game client relaunches and minimises to the task bar for either few seconds or a minute or so and disappears. In addition to that I tried to change my @name and message appeared that I had to complete a Microtransaction in C-Store. So it appears things are about to change.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sigh...

Morons. Ignorant. Foolish. Casting Blame On Everyone But Themselves. Arrogant. Macho Banter=EPIC FAIL...

I am now so tired of this slant against Cryptic. They are doing a tremendous job of trying to bring a barely post-beta product to it's potential, THIS WILL TAKE UNTIL AT LEAST DECEMBER TO DO IT *PROPERLY*...

If you people cannot be patient, and LEARN HOW TO PRESS A SINGLE BUTTON TO CANCEL THE DOWNLOAD, then really, LEARN HOW TO USE PC GAMES AND STOP CONSOLE ABUSE ALREADY!

PC's ain't consoles, kids, you have to learn how to operate the software on more than just a gameplay level, or else things like this happen to you. I'm not saying learn game design, that took me a good 27 years and I still don't know enough to do it professionally, well, ok, I do, but I prefer to keep it a hobby, improving new and old games through extensive (sometimes reverse-engineering) modding for FREE, that way it's equal opportunity and the unwritten law is don't try to steal artwork and TRIBBLE from others and pass it off without giving them credits for it, and the other one is never try to sell a mod. You can take donations, I guess...Depends, I've spent the last 14 years making a mod for X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and then X-Wing Alliance, and I've had to wait for certain artists to make new graphics that I need over the years, but it's something I'm willing to put up with, if it means my 'product' comes off just the way I want it.

STO has potential like that: When we demand something, they DO listen to us, and they *ARE* implementing the changes we want.

We moaned and groaned over Tier-4 cruiser turn-rates, sure, it's a pain, it'd be better to let us just drop the saucer section with a toggle skill much like the pet shuttle thing, if you ask me, but the animators are probably shitting bricks right now just making new content and fixing the over-all appearance of the Galaxy-Class...While they are at that, they really should look into cutting the saucer so the ship can maneuver when required, especially during combat...

That is the only complaint I want to log. In the very first episode of TNG, what did we see? When the Ent-D was in trouble and they needed speed and the ability to fight, they had to dump the saucer to get the maneuvering and so on...The Saucer section is made to contain two Type-X phaser arrays (oh, and yeah, the stardrive has the same beam array strips right near where the docking joints are, so stop saying the stardrive would lack in firepower, that's idiotic, go read the tech. manuals or memory-alpha or something, smacktards), and two impulse engines which probably operate off a central impulse core in the saucer...

The Saucer is meant to house the non-Starfleet civvies and so on, too...Why it is allowed to be used in an insanely intense battle like everything in STO is, I don't know...You should be able to drop it and pick it up later when you're done, this will of course mean turn rate goes from 2 to at least 6 if not higher depending on skillsets and equipment.

I've seen that stardrive, it moves. Period. It's awesome. While you're doing remodeling of the exterior appearance items, consider a simple toggle skill to cut the saucer for combat ops and/or picking up loot and anomaly scans and whatever until we're ready to pick it up.

The saucer can just sit there as a non-target, no need to worry about controlling two parts of a ship or having to allow MVAM or some TRIBBLE like that...The scripting, I agree, is too complex to pull it off without months of work that could be spent on better things. The scripting to add the ability to drop the saucer like a shuttle that does not move, then pick it up again when you get close enough, that's not going to be too hard for you guys.

If you guys want to compare STO to another Trek game, compare it with Trek Legacy, the space modes are so similar I'm shocked they didn't title STO as STO-Legacy or something...Anyway, if you notice, the turn-rates for all the ships are a bit different, but the bigger the ship, the less it tends to maneuver, unless it's some insane mod that has thruster banks on all axis' to let it maneuver around without needing to rely on impulse too hard.

I think having a skillset or BO skillset that figures into the new three maneuvering trees, that allows us to quickly turn in one direction or another for a short time would be nice, because all ships supposedly have RCS thrusters that allow for maneuvering power if the impulse drive is either too much or can't be used...There was one TNG episode, Booby Trap, where they had to do a short Impulse burst, then the rest of the way, they had to use thrusters to clear the rocks...

If this were made into a skill for STO, that would be cool, because then we could use it to dodge incoming high yield torpedoes and to turn around without wasting three full minutes just to pick up dropped loot or scan an anomaly or reach the next mission waypoint or something...

They are doing a great job, Cryptic, so guys, cut 'em slack...This is still an infant game, it has not seen it's potential yet, but as a designer, I've seen how far they PLAN to take this game, I have seen all the little empty spots in the game that are clearly meant to be used, and they will be, but not until they are ready to do it, and do it right.

Cryptic has learned from past mistakes, never implement things without taking the time to make sure it works, hence the Tribble server. If you whiners want to see true changes and improvement, to fill in those empty spaces that are so obvious on the main server, then go play on Tribble, they won't delete your Tribble character, Tribble will live for as long as the game lives, and from what I can see, that shall be a long time indeed...They have content additions through the roof just over the next month or two, to say nothing of the next 9-12 months...Every month a major update or "Season" or whatever they want to call it, seems to be the idea they have.

Tribble is updated all the time as they figure out new ways to fix old problems, or to start adding content to fill the empty spaces the retail servers have sticking out like sore thumbs in a Klingon's Kitchen...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Um....

I'm not reading that wall of text. I find that people who need to "wall" are actually building their own realities in which to safely state their positions from as they have crafted the particular laws of that realm.

All anybodies saying about Cryptic, is that they could have handled things a bit better, more professionally.

The fact that they keep doing things in a slipshod manner just enforces this fact and no amount of fanboi enthusiastic rambling will change the laws of this universe to fix that.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I can think of 2 instances that caused mass headaches for STO players, the Steam 10GB redownload issue and this one. Either one of which can violate your ISPs download caps and can get you fees. As much as the Steam issue was Valves fault, both share blame with the active directory thing. This one is directly related to Cryptic and they need own up and fix it ASAP. If no one has noticed, since the whole Tribble testing has started there have been only minor fixes on a weekly basis gettin ready for a major fix. Kinda like everyone is complaining about content and fixes so the cut the fixes and add em to the content and make it seem like one major update.

Now I'm not saying that last part is a bad thing, once things balance out between Tribble and Holodeck we will be seeing a steady flow of updates on both filtering down from one to the other and givng ppl that one extra layer of protection of crippling updates.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm getting this never ending attempt to connect by the Cryptic auto launcher after I logged out.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    <Wall of Text crits forum for 123456k damage>
    Sigh...

I am now so tired of this slant against Cryptic. They are doing a tremendous job of trying to bring a barely post-beta product to it's potential, THIS WILL TAKE UNTIL AT LEAST DECEMBER TO DO IT *PROPERLY*.....

Then they should have released in December.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    QUOTE "Cryptic has learned from past mistakes, never implement things without taking the time to make sure it works, hence the Tribble server." How old are u man or even so have u bothered reading through forum posts from everyone... lol Cryptic staff have no idea what they are doing full stop.YES it is a new Game BUT Programing is exactly the same and has not changed at all but YET they continue to stuff things up.Also i have been downloading this new patch for OVER 45 min now and OH i even Pre-Patched....Load of TRIBBLE guys.....

Cryptic needs to quit while there ahead.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    Greetings!

In preparation for the release of the Season One update, you will be prompted to download a pre-patch the next time you log out of Star Trek Online (once the pre-patch is turned on this evening.)

A dialog box will appear when you log out and begin downloading files into a /prepatch folder that will require approximately 1.5 GB of Hard Drive space.

When the Season One update is released, the STO Launcher will locate any pre-patch files you've downloaded and use them to speed up your client update. There will still be a small update when Season One goes live. Downloading the pre-patch will allow the majority of the updates to be copied from your local drive instead of downloading them via the launcher.

If you do not wish to download pre-patch files, please cancel the download when the dialog box appears.
    Check the Tribble Test Server Release Notes section for a complete list of changes coming in Season One.

NOTE: As per the Calendar - Season One update will be pushed sometime between March 18th and March 31.

Please update this statement to reflect the truth...the prepatch we tried to mollify you with last week is useless because we dont know how to stop the launcher from deleting it. As a result we are forcing you to download another 6 hours of reworked content from february laced with just enough new things to call it an expansion.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This sort of thing happens all the time in the MMOG world. If it's too much for you to handle then you really need to consider not playing any MMOG title.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JCSWW wrote: »
    I really think some of you need to take a look at the state of your own systems instead of just pointing your fingers at Cryptic every time something goes wrong. It's a damn pre-patch, not rocket science. If Cryptic didn't know how to create a patch and system to deliver it. Then we'd be lucky to be flying around as O's instead of ships and the Klingons would be X's. The blame Cryptic tone around here really is getting old!

You suggest it is somehow the customers fault that the product doesnt work the way they are selling it? Thats rich. You wont see the tone change here until cryptic stops acting like fools.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Perilaxe wrote:
    Please update this statement to reflect the truth...the prepatch we tried to mollify you with last week is useless because we dont know how to stop the launcher from deleting it. As a result we are forcing you to download another 6 hours of reworked content from february laced with just enough new things to call it an expansion.

Dude, seriously, we get that you are unhappy, but it does not help to flame the devs. Things like this happens from time to time, and this time it hit harder than anyone could have anticipated.

The pre-patch sysstem is new in MMO's and as such it will have some problems. Nearly all new software/games will have some problems. Heck, even the superb Final Fantasy XIII probably have some, although not easily noticeable.

Things will get better in time, they just need some more time to nurse new things along...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The first line of your message describes you. The content supports it. Don't call me names. The only complaint I've made is with this post and twits like you.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have to say this 'pre-patch' is a bit of a fail.

Can I respectfully suggest to Cryptic that they beta test this feature a bit further before the next big patch? Something's clearly not right and it must be costing them money on bandwidth too.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    starlvr wrote:
    QUOTE "Cryptic has learned from past mistakes, never implement things without taking the time to make sure it works, hence the Tribble server." How old are u man or even so have u bothered reading through forum posts from everyone... lol Cryptic staff have no idea what they are doing full stop.YES it is a new Game BUT Programing is exactly the same and has not changed at all but YET they continue to stuff things up.Also i have been downloading this new patch for OVER 45 min now and OH i even Pre-Patched....Load of TRIBBLE guys.....

Cryptic needs to quit while there ahead.

I'd strongly suggest you take at least a high school class in programming before making that statement. Programming's coming a long way, and oh yeah, 64-bit Windows architecture still isn't totally mainstream. We've gone from event-driven computing to object-oriented computing to newfangled stuff like cloud computing.

Try to "translate" the same project from COBOL to BASIC, then try to move it to Delphi or C, then try to network it with Java or C#.NET and let me know how it works out for you. Then we'll talk. Anybody who tries to say there's only one way to "program" is talking out of their backside just as much as the ones who say Cryptic can do no wrong.

Did Cryptic goof? Yeah. Am I gonna throw a temper tantrum because the wizards' magic isn't working quite right? Considering they're stuck (and have to make it sound like they're not stuck) with a middleware engine, that may or may not work the way they want it to, no way.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    To the naysayers/griefiers out there,

You're wrong!

I had the pre-patch work just fine.
    This is including the fact I had to make full copies of Holodeck and Tribble installs to a back up HD, do a full OS reinstall over a week ago, and recopy the STO installs onto the fresh installiation. I have had no problems with the getting Season 1 running at all.

Sorry do not believe you in the least.

Thank you for the time...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tymer wrote: »
    To the naysayers/griefiers out there,

You're wrong!

I had the pre-patch work just fine.
    This is including the fact I had to make full copies of Holodeck and Tribble installs to a back up HD, do a full OS reinstall over a week ago, and recopy the STO installs onto the fresh installiation. I have had no problems with the getting Season 1 running at all.

Sorry do not believe you in the least.

Thank you for the time...

nice... :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well prepatch FAILED misserably on my notebook even though the game varified the files. A 2GB download over my cellphone is going to raise some eye browse and I'm not talking about a Vulcan's. Still have my comp at home, but I got a strong feeling it will work there, even though it does not matter there since its a nice none capped connection. Cryptic, expect a letter if I get mass overage fees.

EDIT, They haven't given me overage fees yet, but throttled my connection to 56k speeds. Google, high overlord of the internet, save me!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cryptic is cool, they are making great games. Stop flaming them with ur arrogant wishes to get a perfect game as soon as possible. We are living in a non perfect world, there are many difficulties to reach any goal at beginning. Accept it or leave.

@Devs, Admins: Guys, be strong and make your great work as you did it before. There are many peoples supporting you. Thanks for your time and efforts to make a really great MMORPG!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Destrogen wrote:
    Cryptic is cool, they are making great games. Stop flaming them with ur arrogant wishes to get a perfect game as soon as possible. We are living in a non perfect world, there are many difficulties to rich any goal at beginning. Accept it or leave.

@Devs, Admins: Guys, be strong and make your great work as you did it before. There are many peoples supporting you. Thanks for your time and efforts to make a really great MMORPG!

OMFG! Oh no you didn't just go there. They are working hard on this game, I'll admit that, but this is a royal TRIBBLE up. I've been d/l since 7:30am and now its 11am and I still have over 300MB to go (otherwise I would not be in here and on the forum). The fact that we don't here any feedback to our concerns in here, where the redownload of the prepatch has been a know issue since it was released is a big deal (not even, "we're looking at it").

@Devs; *SHAME* *SHAME* *SHAME*
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    rangerxml wrote: »
    OMFG! Oh no you didn't just go there. They are working hard on this game, I'll admit that, but this is a royal TRIBBLE up. I've been d/l since 7:30am and now its 11am and I still have over 300MB to go (otherwise I would not be in here and on the forum). The fact that we don't here any feedback to our concerns in here, where the redownload of the prepatch has been a know issue since it was released is a big deal (not even, "we're looking at it").

@Devs; *SHAME* *SHAME* *SHAME*

Dude, that is exactly what I mean. Yor are expecting infallible actions by cryptic. Yeah, there are problems. Yeah, that's sad. And now? You are making mistakes and faults too. Like me and everybody here. So accept it, kid, thats the real world you live in.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dude if you can support Cryptic that way you need to cut back on the weed, seriously. You are way too laid back about what is going on.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dudes, we're all frustrated - for those of us that the prepatch didn't work, it didn't work and we're just going to have to download the patch, again. What do you want them to do? Magically make the patch reappear on our computers? I don't blame them for not making a response - they'll only get flamed again by the same people who are flaming them already. Let them get the problem resolved and get on with the next task - that simple.