Options

No Difficulty Slider - Please let us all play the same game

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    B1g_Dav3 wrote: »
    Very bad idea.

If someone gets Admiral on maximum difficulty, they've worked harder, yet someone can get it a lot easier on a lower difficulty... Fair? No.

Say hello to an even bigger mass of admirals :rolleyes:

If you played of a higher difficulty you will probably get better loot and accolades. Also you would probably get more XP per mission. Thats how it works in other MMORPG's that have the ability to chose difficulty.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just hope the difficulty slider won't be a simple 'x10 mob hp and damage done' but instead make the mobs smarter. Don't let them use all their abilities on cooldown, but make them respond to our abilities. Viral Matrix? Pop Science Team. Tractor Beam? Jam Targetting Sensors.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    B1g_Dav3 wrote: »
    Very bad idea.

If someone gets Admiral on maximum difficulty, they've worked harder, yet someone can get it a lot easier on a lower difficulty... Fair? No.

Say hello to an even bigger mass of admirals :rolleyes:

In reality how does that effect you. Does it matter that some joe blow you will probably never meet got to admiral on easy? People that want difficulty will be rewarded with difficulty.

Everyone is going to be admirals sooner rather then later anyhow. Difficulty will not really curve that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Soluss wrote: »
    If you do not like grinds with long level curves then I would stay away. The game looks great and plays good too but its has EQ1 like grinds. I do like the open PVP and the crafting. Up to level 30 was not bad but after 30 its a sluggy grind.

I like that sort of thing but its not for everyone.

Yeah I had heard that. But I also hear raves about the character creator.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I had heard that. But I also hear raves about the character creator.

I think the characters look amazing.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NP I understand that one lol...

How about this one. Aion large scale battle no lag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcpFDS9hMDg&feature=related

I also am not a fan of Asian MMOs with the exception of Rune of Magic which is so much like WoW, I am surprised they haven't been sued. I am sure they have ripped GFX and sound files from WoW.

Aion looks too much also like WoW tbh but if there's a trial then I will defo give it a try. I recent tried Cabal Online and that game really sucks major. So many people also say that Perfect world is amazing. I found it the most irritating MMO I have ever played! Guess like I said, I don't like Asian MMOs.

Sorry OP for going Off Topic.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Loxanna wrote:
    I also am not a fan of Asian MMOs with the exception of Rune of Magic which is so much like WoW, I am surprised they haven't been sued. I am sure they have ripped GFX and sound files from WoW.

Aion looks too much also like WoW tbh but if there's a trial then I will defo give it a try. I recent tried Cabal Online and that game really sucks major. So many people also say that Perfect world is amazing. I found it the most irritating MMO I have ever played! Guess like I said, I don't like Asian MMOs.

Sorry OP for going Off Topic.

Aion is definately nothing like WoW.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Aion is definately nothing like WoW.

Sorry will re-phrase that... The graphics look like WoWs. Time for coffee number 3 :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just hope the difficulty slider won't be a simple 'x10 mob hp and damage done' but instead make the mobs smarter. Don't let them use all their abilities on cooldown, but make them respond to our abilities. Viral Matrix? Pop Science Team. Tractor Beam? Jam Targetting Sensors.

They were smart in the closed beta update, before we went to open...

At least i thought so, before that update they were easier, after it, difficult. Not in the way of more damage etc, but in the way that a ship same level as you was scaled, so it had proper shielding not paper. Similarly, i noted that enemy ships repeatedly flanked me and went for my weakest shield, concentrating fire together onto that area, and saving torpedoes for when my shields went down. Instant death occured a Lot because they focused fire, took shields down, then full-volleyed with about 4 torps.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kitsunami wrote: »

At least i thought so, before that update they were easier, after it, difficult. Not in the way of more damage etc, but in the way that a ship same level as you was scaled, so it had proper shielding not paper. Similarly, i noted that enemy ships repeatedly flanked me and went for my weakest shield, concentrating fire together onto that area, and saving torpedoes for when my shields went down. Instant death occured a Lot because they focused fire, took shields down, then full-volleyed with about 4 torps.

Yes. they were certainly harder in Closed Beta
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Loxanna wrote:
    Sorry will re-phrase that... The graphics look like WoWs. Time for coffee number 3 :)

The graphics in Aion are far superior... but I guess that depends on the art style you like too.

Some cool things you can do with the char creator http://www.aionfly.com/gallery/characters/

Some good screenshots(may take a bit to load) http://www.aionsource.com/forum/chanter/15414-show-your-chanter.html
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kitsunami wrote: »

Sounds good!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The graphics in Aion are far superior... but I guess that depends on the art style you like too.

Some cool things you can do with the char creator http://www.aionfly.com/gallery/characters/

Some good screenshots(may take a bit to load) http://www.aionsource.com/forum/chanter/15414-show-your-chanter.html

well the graphics certainly are far superior but I can sort of the overall style choice in it as wowish. I am not sure exactly how to describe it but WoW has a very overly stylized look about it. I see the same sort of thing in Aion. Note I in NO way mean that as a put down. One thing WoW always had was style.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As someone who plays just for fun, and not for a challenge, I like the idea of difficulty sliders. It means I can have my fun, while the hardcores can have their challenge, and nobody has to miss out on content.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well the graphics certainly are far superior but I can sort of the overall style choice in it as wowish. I am not sure exactly how to describe it but WoW has a very overly stylized look about it. I see the same sort of thing in Aion. Note I in NO way mean that as a put down. One thing WoW always had was style.

WoW always looked too cartoony for me even though I am not playing it for the past couple months. I like the gameplay but not too fond of the graphics... i guess that goes to show that graphics are not near as important as gameplay.... atleast for me.

If you could get the best of both worlds then great but i will take gameplay over graphics anyday.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The game is way too easy...(and i should not be able to solo 4 cubes at once) ...bring on the slider!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    WoW always looked too cartoony for me even though I am not playing it for the past couple months. I like the gameplay but not too fond of the graphics... i guess that goes to show that graphics are not near as important as gameplay.... atleast for me.

If you could get the best of both worlds then great but i will take gameplay over graphics anyday.

I can see where you are coming from and in most games I would agree. But in MMORPG's the look and feel are rather important to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't see what the OP's problem is, has he not heard of heroic dungeons and hard mode? It's the same game just as hard as you want it to be and you receive loot accordingly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The Graphics in Aion do look nice. The Characters look well done. I liked WoWs style don't get me wrong, I played it for 4+ years. It wasn't the GFX that kept me there but the game play. I still think though the overall style of Aion is much like WoW and this is not a bad thing at all.

Is it free to play after the initial purchase, Like guild wars or is it a Monthly sub?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Can't wait for the slider, it's almost silly how easy things are right now. If there are those out there that aren't too keen on having the difficuly bumped up a little then you'll still have the option of leaving the slider at the "Daddy, can I play?" level and have the game spoon fed to you in nice little bite sized and easy to swallow lumps.

Personally I want the "RAWRRR! You will die now and you will die hard, fast and lots!!" level where the game pulls down my pants, pushes me over a table and self censored for extreme graphic nastiness!!! With no lube too!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I cannot even fathom why anyone would be AGAINST a difficulty slider. DDO has one, CoH/V have one (I believe), WoW sort of has one (Normal vs. Heroic for instances), and I'm sure other games do as well. Choice is good. Don't limit choice.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This game needs a difficulty slider or to have the overall difficulty seriously increased. It's way too easy now and easy becomes booring.

I'd like the dificulty though to be implimented not just with more enemies or just an increase in enemy level but with a harder, smarter, slyer enemy AI.

Sucker me into a trap. Coordinate special attacks against me. Break contact if I'm smoking ya, deny me the kill if I can't catch you. Call for help from your allies just 15 km away when you see I'm gaining the advantage. Have stealth capable ships all cloaked and sneak up on me not have one ship uncloaked so I know there's an enemy present at a specific spot. This list could go on for pages.

As it stands now the enemy AI is just plain out suicidally stupid.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I dont' want a difficulty slider either. This isn't CoX.

Making them game "harder" just equals taking LONGER to do the same junk.

What they need to do is make this game UN-boring. The game is SHALLOW. I don't want to kill wave after wave of enemies, and I could care less if they are harder or more difficult... what I want is a unique game that is a vast Star Trek experience truer to its details. If you think I am going to set my Patrol missions to more difficult, then you are SMOKING something illegal. Everything is the same... so I will just put everything in easy mode: JUST TO GET IT OVER WITH.

Can't you see Cryptic... there is a fundamental flaw in your game. It isn't casual, nor accessible. But it IS shallow and overly simplistic.

Difficulty slider is cheap solution. I'm starting to loose faith in this company, and BELIVE ME, I have held out for a long time.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I dont' want a difficulty slider either. This isn't CoX.

Making them game "harder" just equals taking LONGER to do the same junk.

What they need to do is make this game UN-boring. The game is SHALLOW. I don't want to kill wave after wave of enemies, and I could care less if they are harder or more difficult... what I want is a unique game that is a vast Star Trek experience truer to its details. If you think I am going to set my Patrol missions to more difficult, then you are SMOKING something illegal. Everything is the same... so I will just put everything in easy mode: JUST TO GET IT OVER WITH.

Can't you see Cryptic... there is a fundamental flaw in your game. It isn't casual, nor accessible. But it IS shallow and overly simplistic.

Difficulty slider is cheap solution. I'm starting to loose faith in this company, and BELIVE ME, I have held out for a long time.

If you don't want to make the game harder then don't Why would you want to deny other players the chance to make the game actually a challenge that requires more than 1 person to overcome? How could that effect you?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If Im reading him right he's suggesting that Ai's be developed with some tactics and ingenuity, not just 'Hard Mode=players shields do 20% less, weapons -40%, Xp loss upon death". He'd rather see the content adjusted then a slider.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    dhaise wrote: »
    If Im reading him right he's suggesting that Ai's be developed with some tactics and ingenuity, not just 'Hard Mode=players shields do 20% less, weapons -40%, Xp loss upon death". He'd rather see the content adjusted then a slider.

I kinda think he won't settle for anything less than a holodeck.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Eh,I wouldn't mind seeing some diversity in tactics myself from the PvE stuff, but it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive with giving someone options over their difficulty settings.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    dhaise wrote: »
    Eh,I wouldn't mind seeing some diversity in tactics myself from the PvE stuff, but it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive with giving someone options over their difficulty settings.

In closed beta the individual ships were harder to beat and the AI was better. They downtuned it after complaints. Maybe turning up the difficulty will make it more like it was.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    More options = win!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well i would assume the easier u set the slider the less likely u are to get decent drops(not that there are very many of those alredy)or quest rewards would be less on easy then say on a hard setting