test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No Difficulty Slider - Please let us all play the same game

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I suppose the title is the TLDR version of what I have to say.

It is controversial, and in my own opinion disruptive, enough that the game is heavily instanced. It already is at times hard to observe my fellow players going about their business, killing their respectable opponents or just flying around ('cause you know, it is just one of the countless instances that you are in).

Just let us know that at least we are playing the same game. Not a difficulty-adjusted version. Not a single-playerized "easy-medium-hard-nightmare" selection.

Be a content provider and provide content so that different levels of difficulty are available through selection of content. Not a slider.

Have easier mission if you want to cater to a specific level of skill. But don't touch the already-minimal bond that exists between players due to playing the same game.

Let this game stay at least this close to an actual MMO and don't let it slide further into a single-player experience.

Please don't implement a difficulty slider.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Theres nothing wrong with a difficulty slider.
    They exist in other MMO's, no reason STO cannot have them either.

And i for one intend to crank mine up to max!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is how I feel about it as well. I DO NOT want one. At all.

Sometimes, I think Cryptic listens to its community a little too much. Lets take the good ideas and put those in and put the bad ideas in too!

Can they think for themselves? At all?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They go with the majority. There have been LOTS of people asking for it on the forums and I do mean LOTS. I like the idea so that I won't have to do missions above my level anymore to get a challenge.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah when it comes down to players getting more options its really win win, and other mmo's do it to.
    Its nothing new.
    Like anything though it needs to be balanced properly other than that its a good thing.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What other mmos do this? Im aware there are some, but I dont know what they are.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No reason you you have to use it if you don't want to and IMO it won't affect teaming adversly. In fact at least for the more difficult levels I think it will ENCOURAGE teaming. LFT City on Edge of Never elite and the like.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What other mmos do this? Im aware there are some, but I dont know what they are.

DDO had one. Haven't played in a while but I am sure they still do. Harder levels = better loot and XP
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm not too sure about the idea, it is indeed popular but it has problems. For example, if I keep my slider set to difficult, i'll be used to fighting tough enemies, whereas someone who keeps it on easy is used to fighting easy enemies. What happens if we group together? Unless the group content scales itself to the easier player (defeating the purpose of the slider), they're going to be in way over their head and I'll have to carry them all the way. Basically, my problem is that when I group, I want to know my group members will know what they're doing. It's the exact same reason why people dislike paid power levellers and character buyers, because you know they don't have the experience to be a useful member.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm glad they aren't listening to you guys atleast :)

This game needs a difficulty slider, its pants on head TRIBBLE right now, there isn't a single challenging aspect in the game. At the moment the game feels as though its designed to accommodate all of the "where is sulu? how do I find Admiral Quinn?" players, which is fine, idiots need distractions in life so they don't hurt themselves but I'd personally like missions involving the borg and 8472 to kick my TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DDO had one. Haven't played in a while but I am sure they still do. Harder levels = better loot and XP

Lotro does to.

Theres lots of ways of icreasing difficulty without affecting other players, mostly reducing the players stats
    Normal = no change medium =%10 reduction to all stats, hard %20 reduction etc etc, you get the idea this wouldnt effect anyone but the player.

Not saying thats what it will be but dont discount it so fast.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alexraptor wrote: »

Agreed.

During Open/Closed Beta, they were tinkering with the difficulty of missions. Some were admittedly broken in terms of difficulty. They then adjusted things to how you see/play right this moment.

I can't quote a ratio, but a good number of players, including myself, thought the way the missions are now are TOO EASY. We pleaded for a change and then, we came up with a solution : a difficulty slider.

As per other games, you just make sure everyone in your group is cool with the setting. Actually, currently in the game, the more on your team, the more enemies (harder) it gets. Some members of your team may even leave, leaving you to fight against higher odds. So, you see, a difficulty slider is sorta already in the game, although you have to ask for assistance to get the higher numbers and it only works in the first part of a mission.

Nothing wrong or "community breaking" about it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alexraptor wrote: »

I'm afraid I am not that familiar with other MMOs to comment on how this idea might work elsewhere. The issue I have with a difficulty slider is mainly that it will cause more fragmentation of the user base.

If I have the difficulty slider at a certain setting, does that mean I won't ever be grouped with people playing at other settings? Does it really help the immersion factor that the Hirogen I blow up are softer, easier Hirogen than the ones you blow up?

If you want harder content, I suggest that you ask for harder content. Not a band-aid fix that takes away from the Massiveness of the Multi-player environment.

Having said that, I understand that some people have no problem with said fragmentation and having a more single-player-like control on the game. I was just expressing my own perspective.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kassidus wrote: »
    Lotro does to.

Unless they changed it in the last month, that's only for skirmishes, not dungeons or world content
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The difficulty sliders are the best way to play the same game. A veteran and a newbie will have a tool to make the game equally challenging and equally fun for both of them. A very good decision from Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

CoH, also done by Cryptic, has one as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If it helps anybody understand, ( I dont know why you would care), but I HATE difficulty sliders. In ALL GAMES.

I hate them with a passion.

Games like GTA and such I like. I can tell my friends I beat it in a few days and they're like " What?"

Because I like playing on the same level as everyone else. Its the only way I know how to gauge my skill. I dont like them in single player games, but I absolutely HATE the idea of them being in an mmorpg. Suddenly nothing is special. We dont know who's good or not. We are no longer playing in the same world.

Hey, Id rather them make the whole game harder than give a difficulty slider. I just dont like them. Period.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I look forward to a difficulty slider.
    It gives the user choice.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    kelvezu wrote:
    No Difficulty Slider - Please let us all play the same game

The everyone playing the same game thing is an illusion as the lack of a persistent world really does mean everyone is simply playing versions of the same game. Some might argue it is a difference of semantics but I would argue that the fact that they even can do a difficulty slider let alone are saying the will proves this is just an SP RPG with coop/MP options and that the normal ideas of MMOs and playing the same game simply do not apply. Either way, who cares - as a fan of MMOs I won't be around so let them make it even more romper room for all I care. ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If it helps anybody understand, ( I dont know why you would care), but I HATE difficulty sliders. In ALL GAMES.

Games like GTA and such I like. I can tell my friends I beat it in a few days and they're like " What?"

Because I like playing on the same level as everyone else. Its the only way I know how to gauge my skill.

Hey, Id rather them make the whole game harder than give a difficulty slider. I just dont like them. Period.

so the only reason you don't like them is bragging rights? And even games like Call of Duty have difficulty sliders. you can still brag by saying you beat it on elite or veteran.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In COH you could change difficulty are that was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Going by Cryptics last use of the difficulty slider in CoX I have full faith in their ability to get it done right. I don't recall it even being a remote issue for my gameplay back then.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kassidus wrote: »
    Lotro does to.

Theres lots of ways of icreasing difficulty without affecting other players, mostly reducing the players stats
    Normal = no change medium =%10 reduction to all stats, hard %20 reduction etc etc, you get the idea this wouldnt effect anyone but the player.

Not saying thats what it will be but dont discount it so fast.

So does that mean people at different difficulty levels can still team up and play the same mission, attack the same enemy and get their desired level of challenge?

If so, that really would not fragment the user base further. As I said on another post, I am not that familiar with difficulty-adjustable MMOs.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    The difficulty sliders are the best way to play the same game. A veteran and a newbie will have a tool to make the game equally challenging and equally fun for both of them. A very good decision from Cryptic.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Kassidus wrote:
    This. A very sensible way to implement it effectively.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    kelvezu wrote:
    I'm afraid I am not that familiar with other MMOs to comment on how this idea might work elsewhere. The issue I have with a difficulty slider is mainly that it will cause more fragmentation of the user base.

If I have the difficulty slider at a certain setting, does that mean I won't ever be grouped with people playing at other settings? Does it really help the immersion factor that the Hirogen I blow up are softer, easier Hirogen than the ones you blow up?

Basically, ithere are two ways it could work. One, the Leader of the team controls the difficulty. That is a simple way and most people who lead ask if it is cool that they play so high. The other way is controlled via group; each member's difficulty level is factored into a team and an average comes out. Again, most people ask about thi before playing, but not all. The ones who REALLY care about this are the ones who want to play HIGH and they ask you to set your level HIGH as well.

A good portion do not ask, but HIGH or MEDIUM, if a team wipes out too many times, they will reconsider and set things to LOW for just that series of missions.

So, it's pretty democratic, if you ask me...in a casual sorta way. If you want EASY, there are still many players who do play it on EASY to team up with.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Double post some how... my apologies.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    so the only reason you don't like them is bragging rights? And even games like Call of Duty have difficulty sliders. you can still brag by saying you beat it on elite or veteran.

Not just that. I like the unity of it I guess. Knowing that everyone is having the same experience I am.

But thats just selfish as hell. So if you want them and they add it good deal. I wont be happy about it, but so be it. :o
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'd like to see more difficulty in the game, but I'm not sure a slider is the answer I'd like personally. There are plenty of ways to add the *option" of difficulty into a game without a slider. I've only seen the "slider" concept in single player games before and most MMO's I've played deal with it by allowing players to choose more or less difficult quests color coded or whatever. I'd rather see "blue" missions or something rather then just a simple slider thing, also more difficulty means more rewards... or what's the point?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    kelvezu wrote:

If you want harder content, I suggest that you ask for harder content. Not a band-aid fix that takes away from the Massiveness of the Multi-player environment.

Having said that, I understand that some people have no problem with said fragmentation and having a more single-player-like control on the game. I was just expressing my own perspective.

In COH you are whatever level you want when you are soloing. If you join a group the leader of the group sets the Difficulty slider. I see no reason why you could not use your looking for team settings to find groups playing at the level you want to.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    joakal wrote: »
    I'd like to see more difficulty in the game, but I'm not sure a slider is the answer I'd like personally. There are plenty of ways to add the *option" of difficulty into a game without a slider. I've only seen the "slider" concept in single player games before and most MMO's I've played deal with it by allowing players to choose more or less difficult quests color coded or whatever. I'd rather see "blue" missions or something rather then just a simple slider thing, also more difficulty means more rewards... or what's the point?

Right so if more difficulty means more rewards then everyone is going to pretty much have to set it on mega hard and suddenly we're all scrambling to survive and stay on top.

Which sounds FUN to some people but I prefer more of a balance than that.

And if it doesnt effect rewards or xp, like you said. There's no point.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Because I like playing on the same level as everyone else. Its the only way I know how to gauge my skill. I dont like them in single player games, but I absolutely HATE the idea of them being in an mmorpg. Suddenly nothing is special. We dont know who's good or not. We are no longer playing in the same world.

You could give special accolades or unique loot to people who play on harder settings. That would be a way to gauge your accomplishments to theirs.