Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online: Mirror Darkly

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i agree, take one of the first episodes for instance. Transport an ambassador, klingons warn us about the ambassador. we say stfu and blow their faces off, beam down kill a ton more klingons to reach the top of a hill just to find out the klingons were right all along, but instead we jus gonna murder the rest of the klingons on the way down the hill. beam back up to the ship, to find the klingons help us destroy the real threat..

i know people are sayin this game is its own "trek" style an what not, i personally believe those ***s are full of ****. go **** yourselves an **** cryptic for destroying everything good trek.. i feel lied to, violated, taken advantage of..i really wanted this game to be good and have real diplomatic things where you actually use your brain. not this mindless easy TRIBBLE game where u jus pew pew.... idiots
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Two of the biggest mistakes I think Cryptic made was that damned Ambassador mission which was so horribly written as to cause the player to actually BE the bad guy, and that most of the first tier missions are primarily combat orientated. There are some real fine story based stories in LTCMNDR and up, but by then people have convinced themselves that the Federation is just a bloodthirsty warlike group that they absolutely REFUSE to consider anything else. Thus, we get these threads about how evil the Feds are for fomenting war in the galaxy against the innocent and peacefull Undine, Borg, Orions, Klingons, etc. All of whom apparently want to live in peace singing songs of fellowship together except that the damned Feds keep rushing in to blow them all up.

They probably should get rid of that P'jem mission until it's re-written so Feds aren't trigger happy, and they probably should add a lot more peaceful missions in the lower levels. Not that it matters. Close minded people will never open their minds and it is MUCH easier to blame your side for everything bad in the world.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gulthaw wrote: »
    Don't see how...

Image extracted from Star Trek X: Nemesis --> http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5816/stx.jpg

ISS
    Mirror universe designation
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Long live the Empire! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    kamui wrote: »
    Two of the biggest mistakes I think Cryptic made was that damned Ambassador mission which was so horribly written as to cause the player to actually BE the bad guy, and that most of the first tier missions are primarily combat orientated. There are some real fine story based stories in LTCMNDR and up, but by then people have convinced themselves that the Federation is just a bloodthirsty warlike group that they absolutely REFUSE to consider anything else. Thus, we get these threads about how evil the Feds are for fomenting war in the galaxy against the innocent and peacefull Undine, Borg, Orions, Klingons, etc. All of whom apparently want to live in peace singing songs of fellowship together except that the damned Feds keep rushing in to blow them all up.

They probably should get rid of that P'jem mission until it's re-written so Feds aren't trigger happy, and they probably should add a lot more peaceful missions in the lower levels. Not that it matters. Close minded people will never open their minds and it is MUCH easier to blame your side for everything bad in the world.

Right cause non combat will really pull in them casual subs
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Star Trek TOS - No wars or major conflicts in that, maybe a total of 10 episodes in the whole series where they fought with the klingons or romulans.

Star Trek TNG - No wars or major conflicts in that that, just a couple of Borg Skirmashes. Again maybe a total of 10 violent episodes in hundreds.

Star Trek Enterprise - The timeline was reset, so what happened never really happened honest, or did it? No one's really sure! What does Reset the timeline mean again?

Star Trek Voyager - Conflicts yes, but not major ones, mostly just alien bully's wanting voyager tech in the first series. Then it was a borg thing, whcih again, didn't last entire seasons, there where just a few episodes. The rest explored how 7 of 9 adapted to life outside the collective.

In all these series, you could fly from one end of federation space to the othe without flighting through hoards of... well, everything! Borg, klingons, dominon, you name it we're shooting it.

You've conveniently left out DS9, and the only reason why anyone watches DS9 is for the AWESOME DOMINION WAR.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Star Trek TOS - No wars or major conflicts in that, maybe a total of 10 episodes in the whole series where they fought with the klingons or romulans.
    Wasn't that cancelled? Gee, I wonder why. ;)
    Star Trek TNG - No wars or major conflicts in that that, just a couple of Borg Skirmashes. Again maybe a total of 10 violent episodes in hundreds.
    Keep in mind, that by the time the show started, the Federation had just come out of a bloody border conflict with the Cardassians. In fact, I'm pretty sure that war was still going on offscreen during season one.
    Star Trek Enterprise - The timeline was reset, so what happened never really happened honest, or did it? No one's really sure! What does Reset the timeline mean again?
    Only the spacenazi TRIBBLE was reset. The Xindi stuff still happened. And had the show continued, we would've had the Romulan War.
    Star Trek Voyager - Conflicts yes, but not major ones, mostly just alien bully's wanting voyager tech in the first series. Then it was a borg thing, whcih again, didn't last entire seasons, there where just a few episodes. The rest explored how 7 of 9 adapted to life outside the collective.
    Still, there was stuff getting blown up in about every episode.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Still, there was stuff getting blown up in about every episode.

Let's also not forget Janeway helped the Borg commit near genocide by giving them a superweapon on a silver platter.

Seriously. I don't care how bloodthirsty STO episodes are, nothing holds a shadow to how evil Janeway was in Voyager.

She's now an admiral. I'd be surprised if the Federation WASN'T at war with the known universe.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gulthaw wrote: »
    That really offended ME!

If I were a Cryptic dev. and you were to say this to me face to face I will smash your head to the wall.

You are a troll, an a good one cause you forced me to feed you; i don't even understand how people like you exist... you make the world a worst place just by being here.

Meet Gulthaw - the reason parents against computer game violence exists.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's Terran, not Terrain.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It really does feel like a mirror universe. The feds have no morale compass. I have to think of the empire as I'm killing scientists, doctors, and babies. For the Empire!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kirkfat wrote: »
    It really does feel like a mirror universe. The feds have no morale compass. I have to think of the empire as I'm killing scientists, doctors, and babies. For the Empire!

Sulu is a Udine.....
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Firstly, this is a Star Trek GAME. And being that means it will focus on more of the "PEW PEW" content, which as I say again, is a template (ship combat wise) for most space games out today, that and Star Wars are the two heavy hitters. One for the big ships the other for the itty-bitty ships. It is surprisingly stable (for me) despite the metric tonne of work that still needs doing (and we have yet to get to the polish).

Now lets get on with the story argument, with of course a few tangents to work to better explain previous statements. Firstly, yes the writing and the script department resemble a train-wreck. Even Star Fleet Command 1 had more polished writing. Yes on some occasions the Feds tend to think they are Stormtroopers, just with better aim. Yes they could use a bit of tidying, but, as I recall, in Star Fleet Command you pretty much greeted any hostile ship not with polite hails and invitations to tea parties, but with a Phaser and Photon light show. That light show usually ending with the wondrous climax of their ship going in the same directions of Kurt Cobain's brain material when he decided to use his gun as a counseling tool.

Yes missions can be a bit boring consistently turning parts of space and every known planet and interior (a lot of which look alike except for interiors because the aliens in question pretty much jacked those from the interiors of Starcraft (I kid, I kid, thought the resemblance is eerie) and Memory Alpha respectively, though they did get a bit creative with the caves... Just kidding HA HA HA. *Sebbin Laugh*. And given time those will become more refined and varied (I really really hope). As far as the generally aggressive and militant nature, Starfleet is militant. We can fight better then Klingons, and we usually look good doing it. Yes the federation has been at war, yes the Federation has operated on a shoot first, don't ask questions basis. Starfleet has done some really underhanded things, hell they even confuse themselves with Romulans at times, oh and speaking of Romulans, I bet that Ambassador in DS9 feeling a bit cold out their in the vacuum, with the remains of his ship (explosion courtesy, of Sisko, and Garak).

And if that's not enough, the worst Captain in the Fleet, (and the one with perhaps the most annoying voice in the quadrant, a person that would cause the guardian of forever to lose patience, and send someone back in time to self destruct this Captain's ship, and afterward said agent goes further back and drops the child version of said Captain into the nearest star) Janeway did a whole lot of crazy nonsensical things. While still smiling and spouting the same general gushy self-righteous hypocrisy that some of these posters are parroting now.

And lastly for now we go to the two prime examples of Fed belligerence, and one other example of total war (non Dominion) that occurred in Starfleets history (and potential history), first was the Gorn and their murder of a Federation settlement, it took the efforts of the Metrons to get Kirk to stop trying to blast the Gorn ship into space dust. And he even left the Gorn alive in a display of mercy. Second was the near total war with the Klingons which was stopped yet again, by the Organians. Both Kirk and Kor wanted to meet in battle and end it their. And the third potential history example was the TNG episode where the Enterprise C came through a time warp, while at the end of the episode, everything was righted in the end, but it displayed a battleship, rather then a science/exploration vessel, we saw the Federation in total war with the Klingons.

What I am saying is that basically that alternate time-line with the Battleship Enterprise, was merely postponed, and on top of that, I doubt any of this will be accepted as canon anyways. We are not running family oriented science vessels in this game, there is no more good-ship Enterprise, we all now fill a military role, and we all now operate in a state of free-for-all (with allies of course) that makes this the new alpha octant, and this whole situation, (all with familiars actors running familiar roles) into the new GENERAL WAR. In fact I am to the point of hoping that the Lyrans, Kzinti, ISC, Tholians, and the Hydran Kingdoms, would make an appearance, and yes that would rock. This also comes from the licensed table top game, Starfleet Battles.

Yes this game is like Starfleet Command, in fact, I look back on this and wished that they didn't name this Star Trek online. They should have went with something that would explain the game more clearly, like Starfleet Battles Online or Starfleet Command Online. Too many people are coming in thinking that this is the be all end all in trek, especially after its short development cycle. This game has potential, even in the Non-Combat areas, (take some pages from games like Myst and Uru for inspiration in planetary exploration, make the puzzles just as hard if possible) and hey, every planet in your quadrants could be expanded upon as if each were separate games, it is a lofty task, but if you can answer the challenge, this game could soar. As far as the whole war thing goes though, I have expect these planet wide hippie communes that they seem to come across would have (and by all means) should have made for excellent target practice in the face of Klingons, Romulans, and Orions (Oh... My?). And frankly given the nature of sentient creatures, I find it hard to believe, that the organians are immune to violence and war, (heh, make a race that is just as highly evolved with opposing ideals... and watch the sparks fly).

Star Trek has some silly plots, and this is yet another Wall of TEXT brought to you by me... And taking a look at the dates, sorry about the Thread Necro.