test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online: Mirror Darkly

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I just realised what we're really playing!

Star Trek Online: Mirror Darkly, we're all really playing for the Terrain Empire not the federation of planets.

Klingon
Breen
Cardassian
Borg
Hirgoen
Terrain Empire
Dominon
Orians
Gorn
Romulans
Remen
Undine

These are the races we are currently at war with. You now work for the Terrain Empire, we don't explore, we expand, We conqour the universe and make klingons our pets.

Star Trek Online: Mirror Darkly, in stores now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    That's the only explanation I can think of : I don't mind slaughtering pixels civilian doctors or murdering pixel alien babies but frankly, if I wanted to play the bad guy, there are much better games than STO for that.

Bah, the last interview of Zinc on STOked indicates that Cryptic is fine with that and that the new elements added to the game will be more mindless pewpew : perseverare diabolicum.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    make klingons our pets.

This is the part of the game that I have the biggest problem with. It is NOT FUN cleaning up after them!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    That's the only explanation I can think of : I don't mind slaughtering pixels civilian doctors or murdering pixel alien babies but frankly, if I wanted to play the bad guy, there are much better games than STO for that.

Bah, the last interview of Zinc on STOked indicates that Cryptic is fine with that and that the new elements added to the game will be more mindless pewpew : perseverare diabolicum.

Of coruse they are. There's a simple reason for this as well.

MONEY MONEY MONEY may seem funny, in the cryptic world.

They took their Hero's engine, with is largely combat oriantated, slapped o na star trek skin, slapped in a simple combat simulator, then sold it to trekies as:

Go explore the universe! Take part in the war!

Well 50% of that is right, only it's not just one! Youv'e got LOADS to pick from! choose a war, any war.

The go explore strange new worlds, arm your phasers and shoot whatever you find.

Star Trek Online: Mirror Darkly, complete with free false advertizing.

P.S. What do you mean you want to explore your own starship? Shutup and go shoot something! :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just realised what we're really playing!

Star Trek Online: Mirror Darkly, we're all really playing for the Terrain Empire not the federation of planets.

Klingon
    Breen
    Cardassian
    Borg
    Hirgoen
    Terrain Empire
    Dominon
    Orians
    Gorn
    Romulans
    Remen
    Undine

These are the races we are currently at war with. You now work for the Terrain Empire, we don't explore, we expand, We conqour the universe and make klingons our pets.

Star Trek Online: Mirror Darkly, in stores now.

Well its how they could "fix" the issue everyone has with this not being the "correct" Trek
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well its how they could "fix" the issue everyone has with this not being the "correct" Trek

Quote from Cryptic:

Fix issues? FIX ISSUES? We don't charge you £10 a month and £30 - £45 up front, to fix issues. Now shutup and be happy firing your little phasers. We'll give you more phasers ok? It'll take us 5 minutes to do, it won't cost as much, and we'll call it a free update. Now be happy, pew pew, pew pew, pew pew.

I dunno, blasted star trek fans, expecting blasted Star Trek. It's like they expect us not to sqeeze them for as much money as possible, while falsely advertzing a product. Oh bugger did I leave the phone on?

----

Well there you have it star trek fans. pew pew
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I love all of the combat, STO would be boring without it.

Besides, please name me a series or movie that did not have major conflicts? Voyager might be the only one, I don't know....never watched it.

All of the others did, especially versus Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Cardassians and Dominion.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Blodveard wrote: »

Besides, please name me a series or movie that did not have major conflicts? Voyager might be the only one, I don't know....never watched it.

All of the others did, especially versus Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Cardassians and Dominion.

Star Trek TOS - No wars or major conflicts in that, maybe a total of 10 episodes in the whole series where they fought with the klingons or romulans.

Star Trek TNG - No wars or major conflicts in that that, just a couple of Borg Skirmashes. Again maybe a total of 10 violent episodes in hundreds.

Star Trek Enterprise - The timeline was reset, so what happened never really happened honest, or did it? No one's really sure! What does Reset the timeline mean again?

Star Trek Voyager - Conflicts yes, but not major ones, mostly just alien bully's wanting voyager tech in the first series. Then it was a borg thing, whcih again, didn't last entire seasons, there where just a few episodes. The rest explored how 7 of 9 adapted to life outside the collective.

In all these series, you could fly from one end of federation space to the othe without flighting through hoards of... well, everything! Borg, klingons, dominon, you name it we're shooting it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Blodveard wrote: »

Voyager was more about "peaceful, happy-go-lucky exploration" than the rest of the shows/movies of that time in Trek but they still had: the Hirogen, the Kazon, the Borg, and the Vidiians trying to hunt them, take their technology, assimilate them, and harvest their organs.

Story-telling without some form of conflict doesn't work very well.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Quote from Cryptic:

Fix issues? FIX ISSUES? We don't charge you £10 a month and £30 - £45 up front, to fix issues. Now shutup and be happy firing your little phasers. We'll give you more phasers ok? It'll take us 5 minutes to do, it won't cost as much, and we'll call it a free update. Now be happy, pew pew, pew pew, pew pew.

I dunno, blasted star trek fans, expecting blasted Star Trek. It's like they expect us not to sqeeze them for as much money as possible, while falsely advertzing a product. Oh bugger did I leave the phone on?

----

wheres that link?
    lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Star Trek TOS - No wars or major conflicts in that, maybe a total of 10 episodes in the whole series where they fought with the klingons or romulans.

Star Trek TNG - No wars or major conflicts in that that, just a couple of Borg Skirmashes. Again maybe a total of 10 violent episodes in hundreds. right cause there wasnt a Klingon war or anything in there

Star Trek Enterprise - The timeline was reset, so what happened never really happened honest, or did it? No one's really sure! What does Reset the timeline mean again? Yeah it doesnt matter cause there was war in it, a lot.

Star Trek Voyager - Conflicts yes, but not major ones, mostly just alien bully's wanting voyager tech in the first series. Then it was a borg thing, whcih again, didn't last entire seasons, there where just a few episodes. The rest explored how 7 of 9 adapted to life outside the collective.

In all these series, you could fly from one end of federation space to the othe without flighting through hoards of... well, everything! Borg, klingons, dominon, you name it we're shooting it.

What happened to DS9 or did you omit that one cause it had war in it?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    S.Bowser wrote:
    Voyager was more about "peaceful, happy-go-lucky exploration" than the rest of the shows/movies of that time in Trek but they still had: the Hirogen, the Kazon, the Borg, and the Vidiians trying to hunt them, take their technology, assimilate them, and harvest their organs.

Yes but we're getting conflict without storytelling. And JUST conflict. I've come acorss two non-violent missions so far.

First. Miners worried that holograms will replace them. Go talk to them, answer a pop-quiz... wow, the NCP couldn't have asked them herself because??

The second. Was run between two brothers ask them questions and follow the script there was no decision making at all, it was just linear run back and forth, follow the prompts, honestly if that's all they where going to do the should have spent their time writing a short story. It would have been more engaging then RUN RUN RUN Dialoug, zzzz, run run run, obvious conclusion, leave.

Either Cryptic have no bloody imagination or they are not as good at developement as they'd have you beleive. Ancient Text games from the BBC Master do a better job of engaging the players interest.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    S.Bowser wrote:

This is exactly my point, and an MMO without a focus on conflict will not work well either. Besides, I see more of the Star Trek movies in STO than I do the various TV series.

Do I think it made sense to have war with the Klingon Empire, maybe not. The now homeless Romulans might have made a better choice. I never areeed with the decision to only have two factions, and I hope Cryptic eventually adds a neutral faction to the game.

But, IMO, if this game was the opposite (80% Peaceful Exploration and Diplomacy and 20% Combat) it would be dead already.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Quote from Cryptic:

----

That really offended ME!

If I were a Cryptic dev. and you were to say this to me face to face I will smash your head to the wall.

You are a troll, an a good one cause you forced me to feed you; i don't even understand how people like you exist... you make the world a worst place just by being here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TNG involved alien civil wars (the Klingons being the major one), Romulan encroachment, Cardassian encroachment (following a rather bloody war), the subjugation of the Bajorans, heavily-armed pirates and smugglers, and numerous encounters with the remnants and consequences of war. Space is a dangerous place even in the Trek universe. Just because the Enterprise (whose primary mission was exploration) wasn't sent to deal with every violent situation, it doesn't mean someone else wearing a Starfleet uniform wasn't there to keep the peace with a phaser.

Yes, STO could do with more peaceful stuff, but they've done a good enough job driving home this point: the quadrant is at war and it's your job to keep things from getting out of hand. If you don't like it, play a Klingon...I don't think they've *ever* been anything but aggressive and no-nonsense.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Quote from Cryptic:

----

As another wrote...link please! or is this just your libel?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What happened to DS9 or did you omit that one cause it had war in it?

Err, the question was:

"Besides, please name me a series or movie that did not have major conflicts? Voyager might be the only one, I don't know....never watched it."

Obviously DS9 had a war in it.

The fact still remains, that 4 out of 5 series... yeah yeah, ok. 3 out of 5 series did not have any "major conflicts" or "wars". Wars between other races where the federation mediated. Sure.

If you are going to ask a question, at least remember the way you worded it.

As for the movies that didn't.

Star Trek: The motion picture. Not an actual conflict or war, just a threat from an alien race they ultimately just needed to share their humanity with. A lost child of humanity making it's way home.

Star Trek: IV the voyage home, no conflict again. they travelled back in time to restore a species man kind had destroyed. The children paying for their ancestors mistakes.

Star Trek V: Final Frontier - Kirk beats god. Again more about exploration, facing the unknown, exploring Spocks family a little more, there where some moments in it. But no "major conflict or war" heck the klingons at the end of the film saved kirks life.

Star Trek VI: The undiscovered country - About reaching a long lasting peace with the klingons, a story of self scarifice, dreams destroyed and dreams realised. Visionary's leading the way to a prosperous future, and the struggle of leaving behing past regrets, and hates. It was as much about Kirk coming to terms with the loss of his son, and learning not to blame a whole race, for a single klingons act. * isn't it nice the way Cryptic stamped all over that great films legacy with a pointless war *

Star Trek VII: Generations - Kirk served on a bridge, and... died on one. Ironic! but not a major conflict or war, just a single mad mans desire to regain paradise. and Picards morality in the face of tempation after a devisating personal loss.

Star Trek VIII: Insurrection - Explores the reason for Starfleets prime directive of non-interferace, and how one stupid admirals greed for eternal youth, lead him to involving the federation in a blood fude between outcast children and the parents who remained in paradise. Exploring the question, can we justify doing great harm to a people for the watered down benefit of a whole federation? A benefit that may never come to pass?

So there you go, the films that don't involve Major Conflicts, in the sense of, lots and lots of fighting, they all had minor skirmishes that ultimately lead to an ultimate good, the putting down of arms, and looking forward towards the future.

So basically Cryptic and stamped and stomped all over the rich history of star trek, it's overall message of a better future. All because endless pew pew is easy to sell to the brainless non-thinkers of the world.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Long Live the Empire!

:cool:

btw - S.Bowser has a really cool avatar. Great pic!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Didnt star trek 6 have that cool battle scene with the klingon ship that could fire while cloaked that beat up the Enterprise AND the Excelsior? I love that scene, mainly cause of how the shields are reported to still be up WHILE that dude is blowing holes in the saucer section
    So basically Cryptic and stamped and stomped all over the rich history of star trek, it's overall message of a better future. All because endless pew pew is easy to sell to the brainless non-thinkers of the world.

Welcome to the world of making money with an MMO
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Star Trek: That alien was more than willing to wipe out all carbon-based lifeforms infesting Earth if it didn't get what it wanted. Several billion dead...nah, that's not major.

Star Trek: IV the voyage home: This alien was slowly making the planet uninhabitable. That's a lot of refugees to deal with. But wait, they couldn't even evacuate the planet because of the power-drain. So scratch that, that's a lot of deaths to deal with. Again, no big deal, the Federation would at least go on without Earth.

Star Trek V: This one, I agree. The consequences would have been relatively minor: the loss of a single ship and a ruckus made in an already unstable society.

Star Trek VI: Again, if the heroes hadn't saved the day, tensions between the Klingons and the Federation would have escalated into all-out war. The Klingons would have had nothing left to lose. They had to kill their fair share of Klingons to achieve peace.

Star Trek VII: Generations - Yes, a minor conflict. That civilization wiped out by the destruction of the Viridian star might disagree, however.

Star Trek VIII: True, another minor event in the grand scheme of things. But as Picard said, "How many people does it take, Admiral, before it becomes wrong? Hmm? A thousand, fifty-thousand, a million? How many people does it take, Admiral?!" By working with the Son'a, it also showed that this Federation wasn't as squeaky-clean as we'd like to think.

Star Trek does have a rich history and a loyal fanbase. There's no way they could cram everything in there and please everyone. The nice thing about MMO's, however, is that they're constantly a work in progress.

Do I wish there was a little more to the game? Sure. Do I care that I have to blast away a few hundred hostiles to gain a level? Pfft, no. You can't imagine how many innocent rabbits and goblins I've killed in the various Final Fantasy games I've played over the years. Let's not even speak of the millions of boars and wolves slaughtered to get my WoW characters some experience.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We are not the mirror universe.

We are the universe that lies between the Prime and Mirror universes. Not as bloodthirsty as the MU, and not as Love-in as Prime.

We are the Diet Mirror Universe.

Or Prime Max.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    S.Bowser wrote:
    blablabla diz iz woooooar blablabla

The truth is that the shows described both violent and non violent stories and STO clearly doesn't reproduce that. You can scream the word "woooooar" as long as you want, the game lacks a lot of engaging non combat gameplay. Even the classic MMOs non combat elements features are laughable at best (crafting). Blindly deny that is not a good way to help the game grow.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The truth is that the shows described both violent and non violent stories and STO clearly doesn't reproduce that. You can scream the word "woooooar" as long as you want, the game lacks a lot of engaging non combat gameplay. Even the classic MMOs non combat elements features are laughable at best (crafting). Blindly deny that is not a good way to help the game grow.

And pretending that non combat is isnt either. The average MMO gamer isnt looking for a diplomatic game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And pretending that non combat is isnt either. The average MMO gamer isnt looking for a diplomatic game.

Well, this is not "the average MMO" is Star Trek.

Imho, in the long run, a Star Trek game without diplomacy is like a Star Wars game without any mention to Jedis and Siths; those are the things that make them unique and that define them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The average MMO gamer isnt looking for a diplomatic game.

We will find out soon what the community wants : exploration and diplomacy are part of the survey Cryptic is running on their website. If it turns out that a significant number of players ask for non combat gameplay, I suppose that the diz iz woooar kids will have to bear with us. If not, you'll just have to do without these subs, because pewpewing is definitely getting old for those people.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We will find out soon what the community wants : exploration and diplomacy are part of the survey Cryptic is running on their website. If it turns out that a significant number of players ask for non combat gameplay, I suppose that the diz iz woooar kids will have to bear with us. If not, you'll just have to do without these subs, because pewpewing is definitely getting old for those people.

Right, hook people into the game with combat game play and turn it into a dipl;omacy based game... I have the odd feeling we're gonna be in the exact same place in a couple months. Then the combat players fill the forums and the Diplomacy people are on the other side. Or when the combat players dont "bear with" the changes and leave for more "this iz wooooar" games

Same argument is made when ppl start to leave an a lot here go "dont let the door hit you" and certain ppl go "nooooo without them we has no game" but when it comes to THIS topic, its "you are woooooar kiddiez. This is MY TREK. you dont like it? Get out."
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This surprises you? I thought it was obvious that the U on our ships was a glitch, it was SUPPOSE to be a I
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    nekollx wrote: »
    This surprises you? I thought it was obvious that the U on our ships was a glitch, it was SUPPOSE to be a I

huh ISS? Dont get it
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    <sigh> Another thread about how the Federation doesn't do this, or do that. Why is it you think what the FEDERATION wants matters? What about what the UNDINE want? Or the Klingons? Or the Romulans? You make it sound like everything is at the Federation's behest. Is it?

Let us see, we have the Undine who have infilitrated several galactic governments in an attempt to conquer the galaxy. That is THEIR goal, not the Federations. The Federation is reacting to them.

You have the Klingons who broke with the Federation after the Feds leveled a COMPLAINT against them for taking BY FORCE planets from the Romulan Empire after the Romulans homeworld was destroyed. That is THEIR goal, not the Federations. The Federation is reacting to them.

You have the Romulans who are trying to prove they are still a Galactic power, maintain their Empire, and blame the Federation in no small way for what happened to their homeworld. After all, the Federation's Ambassador to Romulas, Spock, promised he would save them and didn't. That is THEIR goal, not the Federations. The Federation is reacting to them.

You have the Orion Pirates who are...well, they're PIRATES. They're preying upon cargo ships and colonies. THEIR goal is to steal as much as they can get away with and they don't care who they kill to do it. The Federation is reacting to them.

You have the J'em dar who want to conquer the galaxy; Federation is reacting to THEIR aggression.

Anyone see a pattern here? But no, you sit back and whine, "OH! It's allll the Federation's fault! The FEDERATION doesn't KILL! There is to much combat!!!" Hey, if you get attacked you fight back. If you DON'T, then you die.

Here's a little parable for you. Once upon a time there was a village which decided they had had enough of war. So, they beat their swords into ploughs, used their spears as plant stakes, and became agrarians. Because they were no longer spending time and money on war or warlike accouterments, they directed their energy to other, peacefull pastimes. Before long they had a thriving culture; their children grew fat and happy, and plentiful to. Their women wore fine jewelry, and the men would spend hours discussing phylosophy, astronomy, and creating new machines to make work easier, like windmills and grindstones and such. Well, one day a nomadic tribe came across them and was fearful, seeing how healthy the people were and all the fine machines and such. But the village elders welcomed the nomads with open arms saying, "Come brothers! Come and join us! Put away your weapons for we have foresworn war and found a better way! Look at our riches! Look at the wonders we have created! All because we have embraced peace!" At that, the nomads looked at each other, and smiled, and pulled forth their weapons, and fell upon the villagers with barbaric glee. They slaughtered the men, the older boys, the old and ugly women. The younger women, and the girls, they TRIBBLE. Those that survived, and the young boy children, they bound into slavery. They destroyed the machines, took the food and gems, and happily went on their way greatfull for their good fortune.

The moral of the story? There will ALWAYS be someone who wants what you have without working for it. Just because YOU want to live in peace does NOT mean everyone else will. If you are not willing to fight to protect what you have, you soon will not have it. Some of you believe the Federation should be as those villagers. But no where in any of the series has the Federation EVER been portrayed that way. They come in peace, yes. They want peace, yes. BUT, they WILL defend themselves with force. They WILL fight to survive.

So, stop with the dagblasted whines about how THIS isn't how the Federation is! It's got nothing to do with the Federation and EVERYTHING to do with the other Galactic governments pursuing their OWN goals. All we, as Federation officers, are doing is reacting.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    nekollx wrote: »

Don't see how...

Image extracted from Star Trek X: Nemesis --> http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5816/stx.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    kamui wrote: »
    <sigh> Another thread about how the Federation doesn't do this, or do that. Why is it you think what the FEDERATION wants matters? What about what the UNDINE want? Or the Klingons? Or the Romulans? You make it sound like everything is at the Federation's behest. Is it?

Let us see, we have the Undine who have infilitrated several galactic governments in an attempt to conquer the galaxy. That is THEIR goal, not the Federations. The Federation is reacting to them.

You have the Klingons who broke with the Federation after the Feds leveled a COMPLAINT against them for taking BY FORCE planets from the Romulan Empire after the Romulans homeworld was destroyed. That is THEIR goal, not the Federations. The Federation is reacting to them.

You have the Romulans who are trying to prove they are still a Galactic power, maintain their Empire, and blame the Federation in no small way for what happened to their homeworld. After all, the Federation's Ambassador to Romulas, Spock, promised he would save them and didn't. That is THEIR goal, not the Federations. The Federation is reacting to them.

You have the Orion Pirates who are...well, they're PIRATES. They're preying upon cargo ships and colonies. THEIR goal is to steal as much as they can get away with and they don't care who they kill to do it. The Federation is reacting to them.

You have the J'em dar who want to conquer the galaxy; Federation is reacting to THEIR aggression.

Anyone see a pattern here? But no, you sit back and whine, "OH! It's allll the Federation's fault! The FEDERATION doesn't KILL! There is to much combat!!!" Hey, if you get attacked you fight back. If you DON'T, then you die.

Here's a little parable for you. Once upon a time there was a village which decided they had had enough of war. So, they beat their swords into ploughs, used their spears as plant stakes, and became agrarians. Because they were no longer spending time and money on war or warlike accouterments, they directed their energy to other, peacefull pastimes. Before long they had a thriving culture; their children grew fat and happy, and plentiful to. Their women wore fine jewelry, and the men would spend hours discussing phylosophy, astronomy, and creating new machines to make work easier, like windmills and grindstones and such. Well, one day a nomadic tribe came across them and was fearful, seeing how healthy the people were and all the fine machines and such. But the village elders welcomed the nomads with open arms saying, "Come brothers! Come and join us! Put away your weapons for we have foresworn war and found a better way! Look at our riches! Look at the wonders we have created! All because we have embraced peace!" At that, the nomads looked at each other, and smiled, and pulled forth their weapons, and fell upon the villagers with barbaric glee. They slaughtered the men, the older boys, the old and ugly women. The younger women, and the girls, they TRIBBLE. Those that survived, and the young boy children, they bound into slavery. They destroyed the machines, took the food and gems, and happily went on their way greatfull for their good fortune.

The moral of the story? There will ALWAYS be someone who wants what you have without working for it. Just because YOU want to live in peace does NOT mean everyone else will. If you are not willing to fight to protect what you have, you soon will not have it. Some of you believe the Federation should be as those villagers. But no where in any of the series has the Federation EVER been portrayed that way. They come in peace, yes. They want peace, yes. BUT, they WILL defend themselves with force. They WILL fight to survive.

So, stop with the dagblasted whines about how THIS isn't how the Federation is! It's got nothing to do with the Federation and EVERYTHING to do with the other Galactic governments pursuing their OWN goals. All we, as Federation officers, are doing is reacting.

GL with that.