test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nvidia Driver issue with newest patch

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I just patched STO up to the current version released February 18th, and now it's saying it will not run properly because my drivers are old and that I should update my drivers. I am running the latest stable driver (195.62). STO runs fine if I tell it to ignore this and run with default settings anyway. Seems there is just a bug with how the launcher detects the driver version with the new patch.

Anyone else have the same thing?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    snap, fine before the latest update and now I get told I'm running old drivers?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have the same issue since patch. I tell it to ignore and I can play with no issues.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just downloading the latest stable version for my card, seems to be 196.21

Ill give that a whirl and post back.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've been getting this as well, did all the updates and still get the message.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Same for me , cryptic just dont seem to be able to work with nvidia and geforce.............
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've done the update and no more message.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Same problem here and I have the latest graphics card drivers for my card ... this is annoying.

Wolfram
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SlapnutzUK wrote: »
    Just downloading the latest stable version for my card, seems to be 196.21

Ill give that a whirl and post back.

What card and operating system are you running that the latest stable driver is 196.21?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tekaoh wrote:
    What card and operating system are you running that the latest stable driver is 196.21?

Windows XP SP3

It's a Nvidia GForce 8600GT

(Driver was for UK ENGLISH)

File name grabbed from website is : 196.21_desktop_winxp_32bit_international_whql.exe
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tekaoh wrote:

I'm running this driver version as well without issue.

Dual GTS 250's in SLI on Win7 x64.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    im downloading 196.21 for NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS for WIN Vista 64 bit

i tried before and my internet crashed so now i have to do it again. ill update when its done.

Update
    Accidentally downloaded 32 bit now downloading 64

http://content.screencast.com/users/Flavius717/folders/Jing/media/d0365363-3161-4b13-a954-2370158e8410/1%20HR%20left.png

its gonna take a while
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    flavius717 wrote: »
    im downloading 196.21 for NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS for WIN Vista 64 bit

i tried before and my internet crashed so now i have to do it again. ill update when its done.

Update
    Accidentally downloaded 32 bit now downloading 64

http://content.screencast.com/users/Flavius717/folders/Jing/media/d0365363-3161-4b13-a954-2370158e8410/1%20HR%20left.png

its gonna take a while

I did it and it works now. You must all update to version 196.21
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SlapnutzUK wrote: »
    Windows XP SP3

It's a Nvidia GForce 8600GT

(Driver was for UK ENGLISH)

File name grabbed from website is : 196.21_desktop_winxp_32bit_international_whql.exe

Ahh ok. I'm running a GTX 260M on Windows 7 x64. I'm pretty sure that the biggest difference in the version number would be because i'm running a mobile chip. There is a 196.21 driver for the GTX 260. Latest stable release for my chip is 195.62, but STO seems to think it's out of date. Maybe the spec checker can't tell the difference between a normal and a mobile chip.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am getting the same issue.

There is a new Driver out which you have to manually search for (i.e. find what series your card is etc)
    While if you choose the auto update/check on Nvidia it will say you are up to date.

Unfortunately the new Driver is only available for PC's there is no Driver I believe out yet for the Laptop series graphics card as the new patch says it does not support the series I have.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - The Notebook Version.

Guess I will just have to wait till Nvidia release it..
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just got the new 196.21 drivers myself (Recently went back to Win Vista 64-Bit now that Win 7 RC1 is going down), and I'm still getting this failed system specs check even though I have the latest drivers for it now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Same issue with 6400M. NVidia website says up to date (195.62 on XP sp3). Having to run at half-resolution in game, but that could also be due to server load. It seems like every other patch causes me graphics headaches.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Discaimed wrote:

There is a new Driver out which you have to manually search for (i.e. find what series your card is etc)
    While if you choose the auto update/check on Nvidia it will say you are up to date.

Unfortunately the new Driver is only available for PC's there is no Driver I believe out yet for the Laptop series graphics card as the new patch says it does not support the series I have.

i have NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS for Win Vista 64 bit laptops. i downloaded this one http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_196.21_whql.html and it said this http://content.screencast.com/users/Flavius717/folders/Jing/media/9745d0f1-b235-40e3-95fd-48c08b829272/2010-02-18_2302.png is it the same case for me where i just have to wait for them to make a different version?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just patched and then got the warning too. I have an nVidia Geforce 9600 GTX+ running on Win7 x64. I was running drivers that were from back in September. After getting the warning today, I updated to whatever the most recent drivers are via Windows Update and I did not receive the warning the next time I ran the game.

Getting the warning in the first place was odd since I can run the game with the highest settings (no antialiasing) and it runs great.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I also have been getting the message since the patch.... I had just updated the driver in Dec... I am running a GeForce 9700M GTS... Vista 64...

I downloaded and installed the latest.. same issue... :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tekaoh wrote:
    I just patched STO up to the current version released February 18th, and now it's saying it will not run properly because my drivers are old and that I should update my drivers. I am running the latest stable driver (195.62). STO runs fine if I tell it to ignore this and run with default settings anyway. Seems there is just a bug with how the launcher detects the driver version with the new patch.

Anyone else have the same thing?

It did me the same way and i am ****ed after paying 45 for the game and 30 for a game card!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm running a quadro fx 1800, current driver DL, still get the erroy, but UNABLE to access game!

"You are not allowed to log into thius server at this time."

I thought it might just be full, but i spent 10 minutes repetivley relogging in to no avail. Course, a pop issue would be garbage anyway, you don't sell a game and not let people play it.

Course, that's what it l;ooks like the driver issue is doing to me at this point anyway.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    just hit default, you shouldnt see a problem.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Discaimed wrote:

Same here, I have a laptop that uses a NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M, you and I are going to have to wait for the update. However thus far, the game seems to run fine with me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wrote:
    I'm running a quadro fx 1800, current driver DL, still get the erroy, but UNABLE to access game!

"You are not allowed to log into thius server at this time."

I thought it might just be full, but i spent 10 minutes repetivley relogging in to no avail. Course, a pop issue would be garbage anyway, you don't sell a game and not let people play it.

Course, that's what it l;ooks like the driver issue is doing to me at this point anyway.
    it might be because you didnt enter your retail key.

hers the link to it http://www.startrekonline.com/activate
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I found that the beta version of the latest Nvidia drivers fixed my issue with my interaction window not showing up in game. Here's the link to the beta drivers. Release date 12-15-09.

I still get the warning about old drivers, but when I use the default settings everything works great.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sigh... Makes me sad. After the patch I did the same thing. I got the message and then installed the most up to date drivers from nvidia. I still have the message though.

I don't know what to do now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    same here it was working fine until the last update now the fps are TRIBBLE i am running a Nvidia 8400 GS with the last drivers i am trying to get the beta drivers and i will see if that works
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Weird behavior for Nvidia card(196.21 driver, Vista64 ) in my case,

Inside a wormhole -> serious lag, about 15 fps with Display mode set to "Fullscreen"

Same graphical settings but I changed display mode to "Window Maximized", everything looked like fullscreen but it is now 60+++ fps.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really wish this ridiculous patch would be fixed already. I have an older card, but it's been playing perfectly fine since open beta up until this last patch. Now my game just constantly locks up within 1 minute of joining, within 2 minutes when running the launcher in safemode, it's ridiculous. I've already spent $300 on this game and the lifetime subscription, but if it's not fixed soon I'm just gonna cancel the subscription.