Install Arc
Options

Why is server down always at 11am - 1pm GMT

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    zayfard wrote: »
    On a Sunday pre-Sunday lunch (roughly 1/2 PM) is a prime time for most MMO player, in the UK at least, and as you rightly say 5PM to about 12Am is another.

And Sunday maintenance won't be standard once the game stabilizes.
    And where are you getting till 2 in the morning being Prime time thats morehard core gamers that are desperate not to go to sleep (ie me)

Not hardcore at all. Many people don't go to sleep until that hour, especially younger people who are more likely to be gamers. Hardcore gamers would be 3am-4am... like me. It's going on 4:30am here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Since when is 11AM to 1PM primetime for anyone in the world? Even on a Sunday? I Always thought primetime was in the evenings, gernerally after most people get home from work and have dinner... say 7PM to 11PM. Maybe things work differetly accross the pond... do you all work night shifts or something?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Omfg is all you european people know how to do is ***** and complain? FFS they are geting up Early (the devs live in the PST zone its the middle of the night for them) to come into work on a weekend so the game runs smooth and all you can do is complain because its going to what cut into your lunch time? Give me a break noon is NOT your prime time. But do any of you think for one damn minute that they are coming in so early in the morning to get the maintence done so that the downtime isnt in 5 hrs when it really IS your prime time? Think about that one before you start *****ing about what time the maintence is done.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »
    And Sunday maintenance won't be standard once the game stabilizes.

Not hardcore at all. Many people don't go to sleep until that hour, especially younger people who are more likely to be gamers. Hardcore gamers would be 3am-4am... like me. It's going on 4:30am here.

You are very good at missing key points.

So lets just use the key point.

GIVEN that you are say primetime ends at around 1AM what is the problem with having PLANNED server maintanance START at 1AM PST?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    justleroy wrote: »
    Since when is 11AM to 1PM primetime for anyone in the world? Even on a Sunday? I Always thought primetime was in the evenings, gernerally after most people get home from work and have dinner... say 7PM to 11PM. Maybe things work differetly accross the pond... do you all work night shifts or something?

No but the majority work Monday to Friday and get the weekend off, therefore all weekend is prime gaming time regardless of the time of day or night.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Are you reading me my rights Cop? Since when has any forum ever been that organised. Just relax, let people chat and if the thread annoys you just ignore it. It's not hard.

Uhm, actually... when several of these threads pop up every single time a maintenance begins, pushing off other topics that have... you know... practical value... it's not as easy to ignore as you might think. Worse, nothing new is ever said. It's always the same rhetoric. Every time. The same points, the same counter-points; content we've seen in such quantity that it no longer has any value.

And it's pushing threads that do have value farther down the list.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cryptic just needs to stop doing maintenance in the weekend. It doesn't take a genius to realize thats when their highest server load is.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hey no need to be a racist ignorant, there are a lot of EU players in this thread, incl myself, telling the whiners to STFU and HTFU
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tzukasa wrote:
    Omfg is all you european people know how to do is ***** and complain? FFS they are geting up Early (the devs live in the PST zone its the middle of the night for them) to come into work on a weekend so the game runs smooth and all you can do is complain because its going to what cut into your lunch time? Give me a break noon is NOT your prime time. But do any of you think for one damn minute that they are coming in so early in the morning to get the maintence done so that the downtime isnt in 5 hrs when it really IS your prime time? Think about that one before you start *****ing about what time the maintence is done.

Oh sorry we should feel sorry for them having to get up early. After all they're only taking millions of dollars/pounds/euros off us and making an absolute fortune. Come to think of it, they deserve to stay in bad for a few extra hours today.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wait... you get weekends off?

Slackers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tzukasa wrote:

Get a reality check you damn fanboy.

They COULD do it on a bloody weekday instead could they not? if they have personell coming in on a sunday night to fix this they can damn well have people come in on a weekday instead.

Tiv
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well if I cannot play on my days off which are usually weekends bye bye subscription to STO :( only had this game for 3 days.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MAINTENANCE IS GOOD FOR THE SERVERS.

Its like people complaining over OS and Hardware/Software updates.
    Or that the computer wants to virus/spyware/addware scan or defrag/chkdsk etc!
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tzukasa wrote:

OK fisrt off the very fact that some many of us Europeans comaplain about this timing prooves that, for us, this is a part of Primetime. Seconly that attitude of yours will only make you and, recretably most Americans, look like selfish, rude arrogant mornons. I think you should appologise to your fellow Americans for creating such a false view of them due to you rude and ill-informed comments.

As to the devs coming in so early I DO have alot of sympathy for them and do realise that this is a difficult time for them but the fact they keep cutting into primetime Sunday is going to upset those of us it seems to be effectiing most weekends
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tum wrote: »
    Ok point taken, that maybe there are more players in the US, but WHY take them down at a WEEKEND.

They could take them down 11 - 1 GMT on any day Mon - Fri and that would affect a lot less players.

Because they need to be taken down to solve major problem like the fact the server is unable to accept every customer's request to connect.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Uhm, actually... when several of these threads pop up every single time a maintenance begins, pushing off other topics that have... you know... practical value... it's not as easy to ignore as you might think. Worse, nothing new is ever said. It's always the same rhetoric. Every time. The same points, the same counter-points; content we've seen in such quantity that it no longer has any value.

And it's pushing threads that do have value farther down the list.

There are so many threads and have been for weeks because it is a major problem for a lot of people.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gul_Exo wrote: »
    on the weekends they should have the maintenance at 12am-2am pst (8am-10am gmt).

this or better NO scheduled maintainance on a sunday at all
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You are very good at missing key points.

So lets just use the key point.

GIVEN that you are say primetime ends at around 1AM what is the problem with having PLANNED server maintanance START at 1AM PST?

First, I said 1am-2am.
    Even after that you have a great many people playing, so they give it a couple hours to quiet down.

You guys probably end up hurting yourselves. As US numbers begin to decrease, EU numbers begin to rise. It will actually end up taking longer to "bottom out" on the total population number. If EU folks didn't begin playing around 10am the population drop will bottom out sooner and Cryptic might see that as the better time.

On weekends in particular there are probably far more late-night NA players than there are morning EU players.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There are so many threads and have been for weeks because it is a major problem for a lot of people.

A video game being down from ~11am-1pm will never be seen as a "major" problem. Ever.
    Especially once it moves to its normal place within the week.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    First, I said 1am-2am.
    Even after that you have a great many people playing, so they give it a couple hours to quiet down.

You guys probably end up hurting yourselves. As US numbers begin to decrease, EU numbers begin to rise. It will actually end up taking longer to "bottom out" on the total population number. If EU folks didn't begin playing around 10am the population drop will bottom out sooner and Cryptic might see that as the better time.

On weekends in particular there are probably far more late-night NA players than there are morning EU players.

Surely from you response then the FAIREST thing would be to compromise. make it 1 hour earlier 2-4 PST or 10 -12 cutting off primetime by 1 hour on both sides of the pond (although probably still more painfull for Europe)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A video game being down from ~11am-1pm will never be seen as a "major" problem. Ever.

It's not life threatening but it's a major problem if you want to play isn't it?

Anyway the sooner they move the maintenence to a weekday when the population is working or at school/college the better.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OMG not this thread again.

It is done during the time it will effect the least players and 11am till 1pm is NOT PRIMETIME just feel ahppy the server guys come in at 3am thier time to do this for us all.

Give us all a break and stop with the moans about this it is not going to change adapt to it and live with it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Surely from you response then the FAIREST thing would be to compromise. make it 1 hour earlier 2-4 PST or 10 -12 cutting off primetime by 1 hour on both sides of the pond (although probably still more painfull for Europe)

*shrug*
    That wouldn't bother me all that much. I don't see it as much of a difference.

EVE went down nightly either around 3am or 4am my time. If you can predict it you can work around it; you get use to it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    lol ye I wish too mate but its just out of their work time I suppose.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tzukasa wrote:

Well I'm glad I'm British and live of an island of the coast of Europe or I'd be insulted by that idiotic post you just made. :p
    As for the server being down it's kinda silly but I can live with it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well the people of Europe Dissagree with you. If this was during PST as regularly as it has been in GMT then the American players would be rightly furious. This is all made worse by so many American players go on about us be stupid and complaining about nothing because we do things differenetly to you, if we're lucky or comments bordering on Racism against us if we're unlucky, just take a look at the comments made by Tzukasa and imagin how you would feel if you where having the European down times and this was the resposne (aimed at America obviously) being given to you by someone in Europe
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So do all the people with nothing to do in their lifes sleep until mid afternoon hence why its not prime time before 1pm UK time lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bad_Baron wrote:
    MAINTENANCE IS GOOD FOR THE SERVERS.

Its like people complaining over OS and Hardware/Software updates.
    Or that the computer wants to virus/spyware/addware scan or defrag/chkdsk etc!
    :rolleyes:

Maintenance during weekend primetime is not good for subscription numbers.

Weekday maintenance at this hour would be better for subscription numbers.

There is no argument that defeats this idea because most people are off on weekends and thats it, you all know this.

Just stop the pointless argument and realise it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    All Weekend Is Prime Time Ffs!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.