What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ship names not unique?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    C'mon, the only way to have a unique name is to create a real copyright for it and notify Cryptic if anyone violates it. I bet you won't see many U.S.S. Coke or U.S.S. Pepsi

That would work. You won't see the Coke or Pepso because it is against the rules to name your ship after a business - probably because of the copyright thing.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gotta agree that I like the fact I can call my ship what I choose to call it, and not have to keep hitting the submit button for a name only to find someone else has already taken it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Back in school there would always be like 2-5 other kids in my classes with the same name as me. I have 3 friends who have the same name as me.

I got over it a long time ago.

What gets me is that in real life if someone has the same name as you, usually the reaction upon discovering this knowledge is something like "Woah we have the same name! Cool!"

But in a video game people are like. Grrrrr some @#$% has my @#$%ing name already! If I ever see him in game I'm going to wtfpwnbbqhim!

So Cryptic tries a new approach by using handles and the reaction is something like "OMFG that dudes got the same name as me... cryptic should die in hell!!!"

IMO we should rejoice if someone picks a name similar or identical to ours, especially if the name is an original one that you thought up without copying from something/someone.

I'm sure there will be tons of mad Sephiroths and Hansolos out there, but it is how it has to be with a single server. To avoid people with weird symbols in their names an alternative to name reservations had to be thought up.

It does help if you set your character name up to go along with a middle and last name. Anyone can be named Tony. But there's only one Tony Benzini Montecino amirite people??? ayyyyyyyy! :D

Fahget about it! Friggin wiseguy ova hea.. *fistpump*
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DarienCrow wrote:
    This will be the first MMO I have ever played that I won't see 423 different spellings of Achilles

lol.. that is very true..
    Axterix wrote:
    You find 5x Enterprise dumber than Enterprise, Enterpr1se, Enterpris3, Entrprise, and Enterprize? I find that rather hard to believe.

I'd rather do without the misspelled names. The odds of running across the same name are rather low anyway.

in cb there were 5 guys named Subject all flying the same miranda called the USS Clone, and i thought that was better then seeing the TRIBBLE namings like you noted, and was pretty funny
    Aredyl wrote:
    Nope, but I did see the U.S.S OxyClean...
    and yes, Commanded by Billy Mays.

well ships are usually named as a tribute to a person or place.. so they could pass it off as a tribute to him.. lol
    Bongsc2 wrote:
    ..... quoter edited out as not needed for reply .....
    What gets me is that in real life if someone has the same name as you, usually the reaction upon discovering this knowledge is something like "Woah we have the same name! Cool!"

But in a video game people are like. Grrrrr some @#$% has my @#$%ing name already! If I ever see him in game I'm going to wtfpwnbbqhim!

..... quoter edited out as not needed for reply .....

rofl.. that is so true.. that right there.. makes everyones arguement for why they hate it lose.

as for another way to look at it.. you are a brand new ensign, given a ship..... the federation is in a major war.. these ships are modular built (hence the custimization) and can be replaced fast.. we are not expected to live very long and so the admirals in charge go TRIBBLE it.. pick what ever name you want.. and give it a number.. and they are not expecting you to 1: live, or 2: make any difference that your ship need be remembered..

and for when you get higher ranks they are thinking the same thing.. except if by some chance you do 1: live and 2: make a difference somehow.. then they will use your nickname, full name, ship name, ship number, and ship configuration for the records.. so see the admirals have it all planned out.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    im not fussed if someone has the same ship name or character name as me, because yeah the @ForumHandle kind of distinguishes me anyways.

be nice to have unique ship names server wide, but also a hassle with the inevitable 2 hour character creation due to trying to find a name :)

Interceptor i expect to see more of than just mine (and the one ive spotted so far) and if i spot another Ahazi ill be sure to give that person a /wave :P
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I still hate Cryptic for forcing us to attach our account handle to our name, and makes communication pointlessly complicated.
    You just saw "Speidermang" run by, you'd invite him to your team but unfortunately you dont remember all sixteen goddamn characters of his account name.
    But atleast you can all call yourselves Obi Wan, right?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just zooming around in warp and lo and behold another player has the same ship name as my other character? WTF? Is there no unique constraint on unique names?

Better this than hundreds of ships with multiple accents and bad spelling just to give it a name already taken... (see character names in games like WoW).
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    slackbheep wrote: »
    You just saw "Speidermang" run by, you'd invite him to your team but unfortunately you dont remember all sixteen goddamn characters of his account name.

Well, CO had auto-completion. So if you typed the name, it'd bring up a box with matching names you could choose from. For your instance at least.

And this can be easily gotten around by using the search function in the social menu ('o'). Type in Speidermang, hit search, right click, invite.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    slackbheep wrote: »
    I still hate Cryptic for forcing us to attach our account handle to our name, and makes communication pointlessly complicated.
    But atleast you can all call yourselves Obi Wan, right?

You just invite them by their @name.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It is one big server. Having unique names would not be realistic at all. Character name wouldn't be a big problem as you can just create a made up one, but ship names would be more problematic in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really wish they'd

a) Make ship and character names unique

and

b) Enforce a naming policy

It can be done. You would not run out of names. It would make the gameplay environment much more immesive and also help encourage good roleplaying behavior.

Are names unique even in real life? No, there are hundreds of John Smiths running around.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's a huge list with ship names likely, which randomly picks a name. Because of that there is a chance that:
    1. Your auto-generated name is also auto-generated on another ship.
    2. Your self thought up name, coincedently also was in the list with ship names and got auto-generated for someone else.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    there are pros and cons to this system that i think are obvious.

on the one hand i don't have to worry about getting my preferred names.

on the other what if someone confuses someone else for me and this gets me a bad rep?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    for the most part this was tl;dr i was wondering if there is a way to change the neame of your ship when the computer gives you one when you get promoted i dont care for the Salween personally
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Vakster wrote:
    I'm guessing "Enterprise" is locked out, as a guy in our fleet saw Picard of the "Enterprize" today. Granted I saw Captain Porcnbeans of the USS Piggly Wiggly or something like that. So, y'know, while the naming system ain't bad it also ain't perfect.

You are assuming the guy knew it was supposed to be "Enterprise". Sadly, many spelling mistakes are the fault of America's poor education funding and teaching policy... though thankfully, Trekkers do rather well in comparison.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In the Star Trek universe, ship names are not unique. That's what registry numbers are for.

Not true. In canon, no two ships ever had the same name at the same time.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There were three USS Ragnarok's in a patrol system once during beta :D We had a giggle about that!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    for the most part this was tl;dr i was wondering if there is a way to change the neame of your ship when the computer gives you one when you get promoted i dont care for the Salween personally

By default, click U to bring up the character sceen and select your ship. The re-name button at the bottom lets you re-do the production number AND the name. I believe you can only do the number once, so make sure what you type there is what you want, but you can re-name the ship endlessly from my experience.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ...is that while you can name your ship anything, you can't name two of your own ships the same thing.

In beta, I named my first ship the USS Blackheart. When I managed to level up to LC and got a new ship, I tried to name it the same thing, but wasn't allowed. Personally I think it's kinda strange that two people can name their ships the same thing but one person can't name their ships the same thing twice.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nagorak wrote: »
    It is one big server. Having unique names would not be realistic at all. Character name wouldn't be a big problem as you can just create a made up one, but ship names would be more problematic in my opinion.

not be realistic? Look in the US navy right now and see how many USS Enterprise ships there are.

realistic is unique names, not multiple copies of the same ship running about
    Kinthok wrote: »
    Not true. In canon, no two ships ever had the same name at the same time.

I believe this is true in real life with military ships as well
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    buddah7118 wrote:
    not be realistic? Look in the US navy right now and see how many USS Enterprise ships there are.

realistic is unique names, not multiple copies of the same ship running about

I believe this is true in real life with military ships as well

True, but there aren't 50,000+ US Navy ships in service right now. They have the luxury of having unique names.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nagorak wrote: »

It' isn't that hard to think up a unique name. It's not like there will be millions of people on STO.
    And really there seems to be zero benefit to using this naming system other than being able to call yourself whatever you want. Oh and being able to stalk people across multiple characters.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    While I initially was taken aback by the non unique names of ships and captains. I think it was a good idea not to make them so. Each character has up to 8 ships, since they are all in shared universe even 100K people would result in 1.600K+ ships. There simply not enough shipnames.

I would have however liked to see unique ship numbers (auto assigned with the letter extensions set by player) but even that would not have been enough numbers for even a modestly successful game.

It now up to you to think of a unique name and give it uniqueness. I am sure I will not be the only Captain Gulliver on the USS Antelope, when I find my match, I will send him a tell congratulating them in a fine choice of names.

While Capt. Gulliver will only be flying ships named after ships, people and places in Gullivers's travels. My next ship set will be local places and people, so if see others with the same name I will know they are from my neck of the woods. I decided to against going with Capt. Ahab on the USS Paquod. (he was going to be a Crazed Vulcan), while I haven't seen that yet, I have seen many Skipper's, Grumby's and Gilligan's Captaining USS Minnow's
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This may have been said but I 'think' a ships name is not required to be unique IRL ... Its designation/registry number THAT is what counts .. so you can have an Enterprise NCC-1701, NCC-2702, NCC-97450, etc etc ..

I like the way cryptic has done it ... for once in an MMO i can name myself and my ship what ever the hell I want regardless of whether someone else already has it. That Rocks!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I hate the handles the names should be unique. Or at lest the ship names should.
    This is the thing I hate the most about this game. I can't create multipule characters and have them completly independant of one another like other games. What I mean by this is that if you put me on your friends list then you will know all my characters which is a pain in the but because if you have a character in a Fleet but decided that you wanted to play your other character that you like to solo with or maybe that is in another Fleet or just playing with some friends, and that FLeet need you to get on your other character they will know your playing and bug you about it. I like to play each of my characters as a main so I really don't have alts.
    Its designed to keep people honest. If you are being a royal s** or a dirty gold farmer, then folks can "ignore" your handle, so you can't just roll up a new toon.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just zooming around in warp and lo and behold another player has the same ship name as my other character? WTF? Is there no unique constraint on unique names?

Yes, because we'd have a million threads complaining that they can't name their ship USS Bobcat because someone else got it first. It's better this way, trust me.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    richander wrote: »
    You are assuming the guy knew it was supposed to be "Enterprise". Sadly, many spelling mistakes are the fault of America's poor education funding and teaching policy... though thankfully, Trekkers do rather well in comparison.

You know about people that assume. Did you ever consider I wanted my ship spelled like that. Just saying that's all bud.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nope, no names are perma taken, it goes by your chat handle, it's the perfect solution to getting what you want to be named w/o hassle.

/agree

Captain Mr. Biches of the U.S.S. Joy Machine
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    unique? LOL, ya, we all saw pirates of the carribean.
This discussion has been closed.