Install Arc
Options

Ship names not unique?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I came accross a Klingon named "Proctologist" and his ship was somthing with the word "TRIBBLE" in it. It's time to get some fo the moderators in game to force name changes for those kind of names.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Anatoly wrote:
    unique? LOL, ya, we all saw pirates of the carribean.

At any rate the arguments made in the first pages explained it perfectly (# of active ships in real life at any given time, # of imaginary ships in an MMORPG - with an emphasis on the 'MM').
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It would be kinda cool if you could use credits to BUY your ships name (as a ship option) so no one could use it- Of course it would have to be a name that is not currently in use. This would let those folks that want a uniq. ship name the option and those would could care less about sifting through thousands of names- a happy medium ground...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Zinv wrote:
    True, but there aren't 50,000+ US Navy ships in service right now. They have the luxury of having unique names.

And in the height of WWII, lots of ships didn't even have the luxury of a real name rather than a hull number.
    It would be kinda cool if you could use credits to BUY your ships name (as a ship option) so no one could use it- Of course it would have to be a name that is not currently in use. This would let those folks that want a uniq. ship name the option and those would could care less about sifting through thousands of names- a happy medium ground...

Blargh. Then there will be cartels snatching up the good parts of the dictionary and squatting on names, attempting to make real money through transferring the name rights.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Axterix wrote:
    You find 5x Enterprise dumber than Enterprise, Enterpr1se, Enterpris3, Entrprise, and Enterprize? I find that rather hard to believe.

I'd rather do without the misspelled names. The odds of running across the same name are rather low anyway.

Actully yes. I agree it is irritating with the misspellings (shows lack of imagination) But for me it is not nearly as bad as having the exact same names.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think its a great idea to allow names to be re-used by others. That way everyone can get the spaceship they really wanted, instead of having to try again and again to find a vacant name, gradually becoming more desperate and in the end naming it USS Klingonkillership. Its a good move by Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    C'mon, the only way to have a unique name is to create a real copyright for it and notify Cryptic if anyone violates it. I bet you won't see many U.S.S. Coke or U.S.S. Pepsi

No in most MMO's you do have unique names.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    im not fussed if someone has the same ship name or character name as me, because yeah the @ForumHandle kind of distinguishes me anyways.

be nice to have unique ship names server wide, but also a hassle with the inevitable 2 hour character creation due to trying to find a name :)

Interceptor i expect to see more of than just mine (and the one ive spotted so far) and if i spot another Ahazi ill be sure to give that person a /wave :P

And of coarse if you want to add someone as a friend or mail someone or send a tell you have to type the whole damn handle out. Unless he/she is standing infront of you so you can click on thier name. It is a pain in the asss.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    slackbheep wrote: »
    I still hate Cryptic for forcing us to attach our account handle to our name, and makes communication pointlessly complicated.
    You just saw "Speidermang" run by, you'd invite him to your team but unfortunately you dont remember all sixteen goddamn characters of his account name.
    But atleast you can all call yourselves Obi Wan, right?

I agree 200% with you.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SpockOn wrote:
    This may have been said but I 'think' a ships name is not required to be unique IRL ... Its designation/registry number THAT is what counts .. so you can have an Enterprise NCC-1701, NCC-2702, NCC-97450, etc etc ..

I like the way cryptic has done it ... for once in an MMO i can name myself and my ship what ever the hell I want regardless of whether someone else already has it. That Rocks!

IRL the ships with the same name do no serve at the same time in any navy that has ever exsited. Yes you will have ships taken on the same name has a past ship that is no longer in service. And the same holds true in the Star Trek universe. The only time in Star Trek you see two ships of the same name active at once is when there is some sort of Time warp thing going on.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just zooming around in warp and lo and behold another player has the same ship name as my other character? WTF? Is there no unique constraint on unique names?

Well every name is to an extent unique as you got the @name.... like me i am Twentyofplenty@tricksty

I guess this way you can get the name you want, and do not have to worry about it.

But i do wish they would have the ship name unique at least, the character name does not matter so much as the @name comes up in chat anyways...

But i want to be the only U.S.S Tesla for instance.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm going to say I'm fine with the non-uniqueness of the names. No, it's not true to the canon, but it's a lot more sane than every other ship being an intentional misspelling.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tricksty wrote:

Of course, the way things are now, the six people who thought of that before you don't keep you from having a USS Tesla. I find that preferable.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tricksty wrote:

I'm sure you're not the only person who wants that name.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    CobraA1 wrote: »
    I'm sure you're not the only person who wants that name.

I had a USS Tesla at various times in both phases of Beta, for example.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And do you really want to be 10 seconds slower than the other guy who wanted to be the USS Tesla, so you have to be the USS Tesloo or USS Telsa1
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What about ship registry numbers? Are they unique?
This discussion has been closed.