Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    This page totally blew....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Irony... i'd just got the lifetime memebership and was in the middle of creating a borg... was litrally naming him when wham! 3hour down time :( typical tbh
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I see bored ppl ... :rolleyes:

By bored, I assume you mean psychotic...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Then you should know that no matter what kind of theoretical load testing you do before deployment will never show you the flaws in your systems that you didn't know to test for. Throwing more power on broken code doesn't fix the bug. If you did not know something as rudimentary as this, you must be tier 1 or maybe a custodian for the company, or have zero experience deploying enterprise level systems. Before you start disseminating your reckless and unneeded advise, I suggest you learn your trade more thoroughly so that you do not continue to make a fool of yourself in front of your peers.

That aside, whatever this bug may be, all we can do is patiently wait for them to patch it. Ranting about it will not produce results any faster. If anything, it is disheartening and can only help to reduce moral on the dev team, thus making the fix come slower. They want you to enjoy their work just as much as you want to play. So in the mean time, calm the f*** down. For me, this is an excellent time to get my hair cut. Perhaps others can find more utility with their unexpected free time than other than bashing the devs.

-SM

Same deal where I work. If we needed 200 servers we'd have them in an hour and about 2 dozen people will be ripped from their lives to make it happen. As software engineers we implement our services so that we can increase cluster density, even if it's a pain in the butt, we make sure it's possible because time and time again it's been proven that it's necessary for ensuring 100% uptime. Likewise, coding errors can require entire teams worth of people to anaylize dumps, cache/db state, logs, re-testing, etc. With enough going on in the back end this can be SUCH an impossible task, even with a suite of operations tools and staff at your disposal, some things wind up requiring some guesswork and thorough testing.

However, coding errors, no matter how trecherous, do NOT take this long (from keyboard to production-ready shouldn't take more than 2 hours in a pinch, including full QA and regression of affected features.)

Thus...

The only time I've had to deal with this long a downtime is for cache repop, or db recovery, where the architecture doesn't make it possible to plug in extra hardware to get the job done faster, and our data tiers were poisoned requiring a full purge. No business in their right mind would **** off hundreds of thousands of customers if they could simply flip a switch and solve the problem later, so I assume we're stuck with the latter. Data loss, perhaps a power fail is the cause, which would mean we've waited for rack repairs, diagnostics, and perhaps data recovery. Or maybe the rumor is true, big fire next door to Cryptic's DC requiring everything to get moved to a new DC. DC fires are no fun.

If that's the case, I should go away and come back somewhere around 7-10PM PST, and Cryptic should probably make a best estimate and let everyone know we can stop woeing over the downtime and make other plans.

Kind of makes me wish I worked for Cryptic, at least then I could understand whats going on, but then I'd be reading these posts thinking "man, that S.E.Wilson guy is such a tool... did you see his post? bwahaha"... :P
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Much like sex, STO starts strong and is excting, but it's over before you can really get into it.

My guess is you need a new partner :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ssspppaaammmmmm
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    for the 400th !!!!!!!!!!! ....page
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    what is a tribble?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    TallBear wrote:
    You are either cluess or an idiot.. in either case you are flapping your mouth and don't know a thing about servers - especially on a LARGE scale

Sometimes they crash, sometimess hardware fails, sometimes databases get corrupted and can take hours or days to fix.

I used to work for a HUGE technology PR firm in NYC. Once our main mail server wend down Saturday at 3am, and I got woken up out of bed. It took a team of TEN of us working almost non stop, but we got it up just in time (5am sunday) before people came into work.

Things just don't get magically fixed.

CLEARLY something has gone SO WRONG with the game that they are unable to give us any sort of eta.

They could give a TRIBBLE about your patience growning thin! LOLOLOL. They WILL NOT bring up the servers until things are ready, EVEN IF IT MEANS DOWNTIME FOR 24 HOURS LOL!

The game isn't OFFICIALY live until TUESDAY. You need to take some sort of tranq. or something. all that anger you have will shorten your lifespan

clearly you have NO idea what BETA is for then. A crash as critical as you THINK happened would have been fixed long ago given the degree of things tested in beta.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Congratulations Lieutenant.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Are you referring to my ex-wives?

Good god man, you should have learned the first time!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Borbel wrote: »
    This is SPARTA !!!!!!!

*hum fail*

No I'm Spartacus.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can see how long exactly the server has been down. I'm not going to go through the 300 pages of posts there is so far to see if there is already an answer, but do we have an ETA on the servers coming back from Stovo'Khor? (yes, I know the spelling is wrong, but i just got off of work and don't care)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Unexpected Downtime (January 30, 2010)

Posted By GM_Skytrail
    I'm sorry for the delay everyone, we've been...

I'm sorry for the delay everyone, we've been working to get servers up as quickly as we can. Please be patient a little longer, I know it's terribly frustrating :(

Hopefully it is "only" a little longer
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Please Sir, can I have some STO?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Lets get to 400 in the next 5 minutes !! post everybody

right.

POST ***** MODE, ON!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Khaaaaaaaaaaan!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Let's get this party started with some music and eye candy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uikiBuLfUDg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    GAaaaaaaattttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Gates is the only responsible, why the servers run on windows 3.11??? I said noo, you've to use ms-dos directly... but they wanted icons...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    We really need a tribble hunting/shooting gallery on here...imagine the highscores!

After that, we could get Spock to stand still with a self-sealing stem belt on each ear point....lose points for each mm of ear that gets taken off

Trademarked to me, of course :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What do you call an afghan virgin
    Mever bin laid on

How did Burger King get Diary Queen Pregnant?
    He forgot to wrap his whopper.

If a firefighters business can go up in smoke, and a plumbers business can go down the drain, can a hooker get layed off?

A New Zealander walking along the road with a sheep under each arm.
    He meets another New Zealander who says "you sheerin' mate?" and the first guy replies "naw, they're all mine"

Why does a squirrel swim on its back?
    To keep its nuts dry

A man is driving happily along when he is pulled over by the police. The copper approaches him and politely asks, "Have you been drinking, sir?"
    "Why?" snorts the man. "Is there a fat chick in my car?"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A little light relief ...

Spock sings Lord of the Rings!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wait whats the record for most replied thread? I am sure this one breaks it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I R Tribble! Hear me RAWWR!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This is SPARTA
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Grazzon wrote:
    This forum thread now qualifies as a new mmo type game. "Star Trek Online's Unexpected Downtime Thread". I hope they don't charge 14.99 a month to read it tho :( But, I think they may just wanna focus their dev efforts on this thread, clearly it's where the playerbase seems to want to spend time. Give Kilngons the Troll class and you'll never have to worry about faction inbalance.

POST TO 500!!! GO GO GO !

a thread like this is well worth 14.99 a month. :cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    servers are down down down down down
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bois wrote:
    Nice! I saw another posting a second ago who is LT Cmdr 3. That is some real grinding!

<-- Also Lt. Com3.
This discussion has been closed.