test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fix the massive stuttering with GeForce users please or I'm gone. Period.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Do you mean "Rubber Banding"?
    I did experience a short period of about 30 mins yesterday but thats lag and not a graphics issue.

I am using 2 EVGA nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ SLI video cards on a Intel Core 2 Duo 3GhZ, with 4GB RAM, 2 500GB SATA Drives RAID 0 with Windows XP Home Ed.

No stuttering with graphics set to max.
    No temperature issues either.

I will lokk and see what my driver is for the 9800 owners.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm running Win7 32bit and a 8800GT 512mb and I'm not getting any kind of stuttering. My performance drops when I get into the space station but it gets better. Also I don't have any problems running CO.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    chipset35 wrote:
    Do you mean "Rubber Banding"?
    I did experience a short period of about 30 mins yesterday but thats lag and not a graphics issue.

I am using 2 EVGA nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ SLI video cards on a Intel Core 2 Duo 3GhZ, with 4GB RAM, 2 500GB SATA Drives RAID 0 with Windows XP Home Ed.

No stuttering with graphics set to max.
    No temperature issues either.

I will lokk and see what my driver is for the 9800 owners.

This issue that the OP is talking about (if I understand him properly) is not rubber banding, but graphic stuttering.

If you read the thread and see some of the videos (unfortunately of Champions, not STO) you can see what he is describing. It is not really an FPS drop nor is it a network latency issue... its an issue with rendering "stalling" intermittently while FPS and network latency is stable.

I'd like to add that a few of those threads he linked as proof of the wide spread nature of the issue were duplicate threads from the same folks... including one duplicate by the OP himself. Three of the four youtube videos are posted by the same guy. LOL
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cryptic you better step up to the plate and fix the massive stuttering in this game. Going back to 6 month old drivers for 1 game that the Dev's can't fix isn't going to happen for me and most other nvidia users.

Oh noes! "Mr Spock 2002" is nerd raging and giving an ultimatum. Quick, everyone give him the center of attention, or he's going to quit the game!

Seriously, come back when you're an adult.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    All my stuttering disappeared when I went down in resolution to 1024*768, and I have a GTX275 on Win7.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gtx 295, Latest Drivers, Works like a charm.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm...

How much system ram? What kind of CPU? Hard Drive throughput and rpm?

I get a bit of stutter too, but not that much. Graphics settings seem to be irrelevant. Experience has taught me that 8 times out of 10, it is the game caching data to and from the Hard Drive instead of ram or graphics card memory.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have 1Gb 9800 Gt Pci-Express card with 3GB 677 RAM and using windows 7 on a AMD dual core.

I play this beta on all highest settings and graphics settings on all highest quality and have yet had any problems with the graphics in the game.

Most problems if any that I have are Network related because of so many new players logging in, but I am sure they will tweak the bandwidth as the testing progresses.

I agree with some of the other posts here that not ALL nvidia card users are having the problem your having.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm...

How much system ram? What kind of CPU? Hard Drive throughput and rpm?

I get a bit of stutter too, but not that much. Graphics settings seem to be irrelevant. Experience has taught me that 8 times out of 10, it is the game caching data to and from the Hard Drive instead of ram or graphics card memory.

This is definitely possible as well... I run my games from an Raid-0 SSD Array so I haven't experienced this bottleneck in a long time. Since the common variable seems to be Nvidia graphics, I concluded that the HDD was an unlikely factor (although its certainly still possible).

The idea is that there is some kind of bottleneck between the HDD and your graphics adapter... it could be anywhere between and have similar symptoms.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wow. Do you really need to get all hissy about it? Not cool to openly say the game designer's whose forums you are posting on can't code...if they couldn't, then you wouldn't even be playing the game to complain about it...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There are problems affecting both Nvidia and ATI but this is still Beta stage, so quit your whining and let cryptic get on with sorting out the issues.

I for one think they have done a pretty good job for the stage we are at, and am in no doubt that given a little more time the bugs will be resolved and the game will end up maturing very nicely.

Some people need to stop stamping there ickle feet over the bugs that are par for the course at the start of an MMO's life, as someone that was there at the start of SWG, EVE, EQ2 and even WoW things are never smooth sailing in the beginning.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well... I tried to hijack the thread so we could approach the issue with logic, but folks persist in replying to the OP without looking at the rest of the thread.

Yes, the OP is counter-productive. We get it. :P

Anyone noticed any other patterns with this problem (besides the NVIDIA graphics and new drivers)? Cryptic has bigger fish to fry at the moment so if we can figure out the problem on our own then we might actually be HELPING.

Folks seem quick to complain about complainers (oh, sweet irony), but so slow to apply thought to the actual issue.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've had the same problem, I found that it was alleviated by turning shadows to low quality instead of high, so I'd guess that the problem lies there, but as I'm far from an expert I have no idea what that entails.
    It'd be cool if Cryptic fixed it, but in all honesty all I'm really out right now is super fancy shadows, which is about as superfluous as it gets.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cyrilmak wrote:
    Oh the 200+ people and posts on Champions Online forums, and the 40 or so individuals on this forum all having the same exact issue that has a GeForce card. And the 28 videos on Youtube documenting this issue with CO and STO.

Short answer? Cryptic's engine will not run properly with nvidia drivers that are under 6 months old. Cryptic does not fix it in CO or STO - both use the same engine btw.

Cryptics answer? "Use 190.32" and we can't help that your newer games that require the newest drivers don't work properly."

Keep in mind people that updates are NOT always a good thing... NVIDIA may have changed something in the drivers they shouldnt have.:p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1435073#post1435073

Go to this page. I may have posted a solution for the time being that does not involve rolling back to an older driver.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    im running on a 8600 GT on the newest driver I could get and have not had one problem so far!! in fact im quite surprised at how well its running (apart from lag!)

I know this probably dosent help, i just like to gloat :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bye!......
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cyrilmak wrote:
    Oh the 200+ people and posts on Champions Online forums, and the 40 or so individuals on this forum all having the same exact issue that has a GeForce card. And the 28 videos on Youtube documenting this issue with CO and STO.

Short answer? Cryptic's engine will not run properly with nvidia drivers that are under 6 months old. Cryptic does not fix it in CO or STO - both use the same engine btw.

Cryptics answer? "Use 190.32" and we can't help that your newer games that require the newest drivers don't work properly."

Um....I got the latest Geforce card and drivers, never had any problems. I would suggest checking your system.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    MegaZer0 wrote: »
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1435073#post1435073

Go to this page. I may have posted a solution for the time being that does not involve rolling back to an older driver.

Nice catch! Make sure you post if it works for you!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I posted because it does work for me. Try it out for yourself and let me know.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Any time I have had issues like the ones you are talking about have been because I had something running in the background and using system resources.

Not saying this is what has happened to you, just saying that when I had a similar issue it was easily fixed...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    1. if you play ANY games at all you know that you never ever use new drivers for Nvidia. You are supposed figure out using the interwebs what the highest performing drivers are at the time of the question, which is almost never anything new. To wit: as of December 2009, either use 182.50 or 186.18 drivers or if you really really want to use 19x drivers (because of better performance in Mass Effect, TF2 or Fallout 3 or something, then use 191.07. Far fewer people have good things to say about 195.62 at this point).

2. I am unable to reproduce your stuttering problem on 9800 GTX+ or GTS 250 or both of them SLIed together.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    skylr616 wrote: »
    There are a few settings available in this game that are very stressful on even the latest and greatest hardware. If you disable dynamic lighting and ambient occlusion you can make a huge difference in performance at only a minor cost to graphic quality (I like ambient occlusion, but happily live without it).

If this is the same stuttering issue that some Nvidia users are having with Champions, then the graphic quality settings will probably not make very much of a difference... if you lower your quality settings and everything runs buttery smooth... then something else is going on. It is very important that you actually understand the issue before linking a bunch of posts that may be unrelated problems.

*sorry for separate posts, meant for them to be combined but hit save by accident*

Raedon HD4550 // $34 on NewEgg, and guess what guys, Graphics settings 100% Maxed with no issues

Regard;ess of your hardware One thing to keep in mind after you update your drivers... ALWAYS CHECK THE SETTINGS... Developers in general have a habit of changing default settings, or accidentally haivng the install program overwrite existing settings without realizing it... As a developer its easier to do this because then you can make sure that all the registry entries for each option are correct. Ive seen this in both NVIDIA and ATI drivers, as well as Antivirus software, Microsoft programs, etc
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cyrilmak wrote:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=56750

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=58025

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=58748

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBaHR1Tncl0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-474yObZoQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXspIRm5wjI

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1362652

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=1421232

Still think I'm impatient? I don't think so. CO and STO share the same exact engine. CO and STO still stutter majorly with nVidia cards while on away missions or in starbases. Cryptic's only "solution" is to use 6 month old drivers, which for most pc gamers is not an option.

Hi MrSpock2002. Obviously you changed your name on the forums so that we wouldn't know it was you behind your new posts. But one thing you forgot, big guy, it changes your old name to your new name on your old posts too! lol
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have only had stuttering at the very beginning in ten forward.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hi MrSpock2002. Obviously you changed your name on the forums so that we wouldn't know it was you behind your new posts. But one thing you forgot, big guy, it changes your old name to your new name on your old posts too! lol

Actually I changed it due to the fact it was the same as my account name. And if you had a brain and read the FAQ you would know that this is the only way Cryptic will change your display name. K Thx now pis* off.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    why not try this simple setting in the options for STO, go into the options menu, then the video tab and at the bottom of that screen there is a trouble shooting bar, click on that to expand it and finally turn on the top 2 options (the frame rate stabiliser options), restart and then play for about 30 mins and see if it goes away, if not then i think it is a driver issue that nvidia does not know how to solve just yet, oh and btw bothe STO and CO are not optimized to take full advantage of SLi just yet which is also another reason you may be getting stuttering with the nvidia gtx295 series.

just because something does not work right does not mean it is the game that is broken, sometimes it is the drivers on the pc that are broken, so don't instantly blame cryptic everytime something goes wrong, investigate why it has gone wrong and try to solve it yourself before ranting and creating a thread that revolves around 'such and such a company have to fix this issue now or i quit'.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    why not try this simple setting in the options for STO, go into the options menu, then the video tab and at the bottom of that screen there is a trouble shooting bar, click on that to expand it and finally turn on the top 2 options (the frame rate stabiliser options), restart and then play for about 30 mins and see if it goes away, if not then i think it is a driver issue that nvidia does not know how to solve just yet, oh and btw bothe STO and CO are not optimized to take full advantage of SLi just yet which is also another reason you may be getting stuttering with the nvidia gtx295 series.

just because something does not work right does not mean it is the game that is broken, sometimes it is the drivers on the pc that are broken, so don't instantly blame cryptic everytime something goes wrong, investigate why it has gone wrong and try to solve it yourself before ranting and creating a thread that revolves around 'such and such a company have to fix this issue now or i quit'.

No it's a driver/game engine issue. Dev already stated this *FINALLY*. It's in their FAQ in the Tech support forum. At least they finally stated what I and the others have.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cyrilmak wrote:
    No it's a driver/game engine issue. Dev already stated this *FINALLY*. It's in their FAQ in the Tech support forum. At least they finally stated what I and the others have.

LOL! We already knew it was a an issue connected to the drivers... otherwise changing your driver wouldn't make a difference right? We didn't need a "oh yeah, that issue occurs" from the Devs :P

Its not easy optimizing a game to not only work with all the hardware out there, but also with all the revision of the drivers too :P There still has to be more to it though... most folks with Nvidia cards are using the new drivers without any issues. I wish we could have been more productive in trying to narrow down more variables :P