test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GPU Activity issue

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hello,

I am using a HD4870 card - STO is making the GPU run at 100% ALL THE TIME, this cant be right? right?

and by all the time, i mean all the time, even on the very first log in screen.

I have an AMD phenon 9950 BE and the load on that is <30% at log in screens.

I updated my drivers and still same thing.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Tyilin wrote: »
    Hello,

I am using a HD4870 card - STO is making the GPU run at 100% ALL THE TIME, this cant be right? right?

and by all the time, i mean all the time, even on the very first log in screen.

I have an AMD phenon 9950 BE and the load on that is <30% at log in screens.

I updated my drivers and still same thing.

Suggestions?

Thanks

got the same problem on my nvidia 9800 gx2 realy strange
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My i7 Quad with Nvidia GTX 260 starts roaring like a jet engine right from launch.

To be honest, I'm concerned for the integrity of my hardware, wondering if this game is gonna cook my computer anytime I play.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Having the same problem with 2 nvidia 9800GT's in Sli, i have to force vsync on in the nvidia control panel to limit the framerate so my cards dont overheat.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am having the very same issue here

my 4870X2 starts with 100% usage in login screen already. BUT only one of the cores is active, the other one idles about. Tried Catalyst AI in off, simple and advanced but to no avail... any suggestions?

also my CPU runs at about 30% load on the login screen. It is a AMD Phenom 9950 BE.

running Win 7 x64 and all latest drivers :confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yep have a quad core, it's also blazing all 4 cores 100%, I tried Champions online for literally 2 minutes, it was humming right from the start 100%. It's ridiculous. Ran Age of conan fine on max, crysis...etc. They all used no more then 50% or so. What is with these cryptic games, they're going to fry me out and sparks out the back fan...(yes it's happened before..)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The game will try and render as many frames as possible all the time. Use "/showfps 1" (or something to that effect, memory's a bit fuzzy) in-game to see your framerate- on loading screens, mine jumps to over a thousand.

You can try enabling VSync in the graphics options to force it to slow down.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Would be nice if a dev/gm was here to help out?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Div-II wrote:
    Yep have a quad core, it's also blazing all 4 cores 100%, I tried Champions online for literally 2 minutes, it was humming right from the start 100%. It's ridiculous. Ran Age of conan fine on max, crysis...etc. They all used no more then 50% or so. What is with these cryptic games, they're going to fry me out and sparks out the back fan...(yes it's happened before..)

Hadn't gotten on untill last night after the downtime, was surprised, didn't lag or crash or discon once. CO like I said i was almost hitting 100% CPU usage, yet STO in space is inline with what I was getting in Conan, just a slight higher. On the ground and the spacedock I hit betwen 50-80% used. But it still sounds like i live under an airport :/