test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Torrent being slow, need help

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I have the most current version of Bittorrent, the correct port for bittorrent is opened on the router to the correct computer, and I have never identified any times when my ISP has been throttling or otherwise interfering with any other torrents yet im still only getting about 20-40 kb/s.

My usual speed is 250-300. is there a specific port i should be using, not just whatever bittorrent is set to at the moment?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I'm sorry it is going so slow for everyone, it is such a drag so have to wait...

Do you think it is worth using the torrent compared to FP? I have never downloaded torrent before so do I need some software?? Rar files? I'm not sure what goes into it. thanks

Hope everyhing works out,
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    its bouncing all over the palce from 50kb/s to 500kb/s
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    CapnJady wrote: »
    I have the most current version of Bittorrent, the correct port for bittorrent is opened on the router to the correct computer, and I have never identified any times when my ISP has been throttling or otherwise interfering with any other torrents yet im still only getting about 20-40 kb/s.

My usual speed is 250-300. is there a specific port i should be using, not just whatever bittorrent is set to at the moment?

Torrents sometimes start slow and pick up speed as they go. Before I went to bed last night I was barely getting 50kbs. Now I'm at 274 kbs.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It vaires for me between 2 kb/s and 280.

but thats still way better than fileplanet.

We're talking I could be in beta by late afternoon my time instead of late afternoon tomorrow as I would be with the FP download.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thats a lot faster than what I had fp, how do I get a torrent? or just click the download and onzip it?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Quick 'n dirty Steps to torrenting ST:O

1; Google "utorrent" and download the very small client (only a few seconds of dl time)

2; install uTorrent, run it and proceed with the intital set up screen.
    This consits of;
    *2.1 running a speedtest on a website. Don't be doing anything else online whilst running the test.
    Take note of your UPLOAD speed.
    *2.2 set the uTorrent UPLOAD speed to just under what you saw in the test.

3; go to the ST:O download page, right click on the torrent link and hit 'copy URL'

4; In uTorrent hit file -> 'Add torrent from URL'

5; paste in the previously copied URL and go.

6; be PATIENT! It takes time to get up steam and will rise and fall alot.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    6; be PATIENT! It takes time to get up steam and will rise and fall alot.

I want to echo this last bit. I just checked and my torrent was hovering between 285 and 305.

Now if I wanted to be cruel, I'd tell you to stay off the internet while it's downloading, that it was choking your bandwidth, but I won't go there. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I want to echo this last bit. I just checked and my torrent was hovering between 285 and 305.

Now if I wanted to be cruel, I'd tell you to stay off the internet while it's downloading, that it was choking your bandwidth, but I won't go there. :)

Im on two different internets for posting and for torrenting.

Sneaky yes?

shssshshssh dont tell :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Use utorrent as it is a small, and VERY good bittorrent client.

Once installed follow these directions:

1. Click Options > Preferences
    2. Click bandwidth in the colum on the left hand side.
    3. On the right hand side, where it ays global download rate, in the box type "0".
    4. Under "Number of Connections", enter "850" for the value of Maximum Connections, and a value between "100" and "300" for maximum connected peers. (This is important, as too high of a value in each box will choke your connection.
    5. In the left hand column, click the option called BitTorrent.
    6. Under Protocol Encryption, select "Forced" or "Enabled". This is usually a good way to bypass your isp's throttling systems. Also, make sure the checkbox next to "allow incoming legacy connections" is checked.
    7. Hit apply, then OK, then restart your client.

Your uttorent client is now configured as best as can be to allow downlaods.
    Leave it running to see how fast you can get the torrent. If you are still having issues, then there are only two reasons.
    A) Your ISP does nto allow torrent downloading
    B) The seeders on the torrent have restricted their upload speeds or there are too many leechers.

Hope this helps you.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Im on two different internets for posting and for torrenting.

Sneaky yes?

shssshshssh dont tell :D

Cheater cheater cheater! I'm telling Mom!

As an update (and a testament to the "picking up speed" nature of Torrents)...I'm now at 407 kbs.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i say use Utorrent instead. I just like it better than bit. http://www.utorrent.com/?client=utorrent1850

I am getting great bandwidth from people who have like 2% but then it slows to a crawl. Cryptic needs to add some seeds IMO. Normally a file that large does take 5-8 hours. But Ive already been on for 12 and its its only at 40% and estimates another 12! Lol. As i typed this i lost connection to a 5% peer and my ETA jumped to 21 hours! Probably people are hitting 100% then logging off to play the game and not seeding.

ADD SEEDS CRYPTIC....!!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    to make sure everyone is able to load the game withing the next two weeks, keep seeding the file until you get the hard copy of the game. dont be a jerk and TRIBBLE everyone else!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cheater cheater cheater! I'm telling Mom!

As an update (and a testament to the "picking up speed" nature of Torrents)...I'm now at 407 kbs.

speed isnt always an issue. I just got a 200kps peer conection at MIT. Only problem was they guy had less than 2%...so it goes up and down... Not getting good connections at all.

i see most of the peers i have are using LibTorrent. I can only assume thats the Cryptic program... maybe thats the cause of the bottleneck and its not seeding correctly?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The torrent won't get any faster unless the seed/peer-Ratio improves. That means when folks finish downloading they're supposed NOT to stop anything but keep uploading.

But most of them are stupid fools who don't understand how peer2peer works in the slightest.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Had a good 2MB/sec (Bytes, NOT bits) down last night. Think it finished at like 3am EST, and have been seeding since (UL @ 1MB/sec currently).

Showing 2000+seeds, and 9000+peers
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    When I get home from work I'll fire up the server again. I can sustain 5Mbps with ease and if I dont do anything like watch a movie or play a game or do all three at the same time like I often do, I can achieve far faster speeds... Multitasking - it keeps one productive!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks tedgp123!!! I normally use Vuze but it wasn't do a very good job so I followed your instructions and my copy of the open beta is on its way! YAY!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i'm on day 2 of downloading it... should be done by end of day 3.

Eager Beaver is displeased.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »
    Use utorrent as it is a small, and VERY good bittorrent client.

Once installed follow these directions:

1. Click Options > Preferences
    2. Click bandwidth in the colum on the left hand side.
    3. On the right hand side, where it ays global download rate, in the box type "0".
    4. Under "Number of Connections", enter "850" for the value of Maximum Connections, and a value between "100" and "300" for maximum connected peers. (This is important, as too high of a value in each box will choke your connection.
    5. In the left hand column, click the option called BitTorrent.
    6. Under Protocol Encryption, select "Forced" or "Enabled". This is usually a good way to bypass your isp's throttling systems. Also, make sure the checkbox next to "allow incoming legacy connections" is checked.
    7. Hit apply, then OK, then restart your client.

Your uttorent client is now configured as best as can be to allow downlaods.
    Leave it running to see how fast you can get the torrent. If you are still having issues, then there are only two reasons.
    A) Your ISP does nto allow torrent downloading
    B) The seeders on the torrent have restricted their upload speeds or there are too many leechers.

Hope this helps you.

I did adjust the Forced or enabled to 'forced'.... and finally after a bit, i shot from 50kbs to 250....

Eager Beaver is finally getting 'some'.