test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Intel HD Graphics? LOL thats weak (info)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
you guys are saying that you need like a 7950GT or an X1800 to run this game. then i see on other websites that have Intel HD cards. Intel HD cards are so weak i have a Gforce go 6150 and and Intels best HD graphics card is only slightly better than whats in my laptop. looks like ill be able to play it on my 5+ year old system
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    you guys are saying that you need like a 7950GT or an X1800 to run this game. then i see on other websites that have Intel HD cards. Intel HD cards are so weak i have a Gforce go 6150 and and Intels best HD graphics card is only slightly better than whats in my laptop. looks like ill be able to play it on my 5+ year old system

The chances of your card running STO is next to zero. The Intel HD series has more features that STO needs.

If you had an Nvidia 7x.. Maybe but no wai for 6x
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The chances of your card running STO is next to zero. The Intel HD series has more features that STO needs.

If you had an Nvidia 7x.. Maybe but no wai for 6x

Intel HD Graphics are a joke. when they were making them they were running call of duty 2 maxed out and were saying how great it was. well a few years later they still blow and my GPU could max out call of duty 2 without stuttering like intels graphics were. granted intels stuff is better now then a couple of years ago. but my graphics card is still generally better than intels stuff. also its DX9c so my GPU is just as capable as theirs.

funny thing is Intels new GPU's are DX10 but are so weak they probably couldn't even run the start menu for crysis.

Edit. also my dads laptop is the exact same as mine except his has a 7150 in it. but iv done some checking and its the exact same as mine except its got a smaller process 90nm to mine wich is like 130nm or something. other than that it is no faster or better.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And his laptop wont run it either. But go ahead and try to run open beta.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Intel HD Graphics are a joke. when they were making them they were running call of duty 2 maxed out and were saying how great it was. well a few years later they still blow and my GPU could max out call of duty 2 without stuttering like intels graphics were. granted intels stuff is better now then a couple of years ago. but my graphics card is still generally better than intels stuff. also its DX9c so my GPU is just as capable as theirs.

funny thing is Intels new GPU's are DX10 but are so weak they probably couldn't even run the start menu for crysis.

Edit. also my dads laptop is the exact same as mine except his has a 7150 in it. but iv done some checking and its the exact same as mine except its got a smaller process 90nm to mine wich is like 130nm or something. other than that it is no faster or better.

What are you smoking? Intel offer the best performance per £ on the market right now.
    By you're reasoning your piddly little 6150 would beat an HD4850 etc. Amusing.

You're 6150 isn't even a card btw, it's an integrated POS.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

The Intel HD Graphics is integrated, wich explains why it is so bad, no integrated graphics will be able to run this game.

What you might have seen is the new graphics card coming from Intel, its not integrated it's similar to the middle end cards in the NVidia 200 series. But it's very different as its built to support raytracing in realtime, wich is a revolution for both gamers and programmers. With raytracing in realtime they wont have to spend hundreds of hours to simulate reflections and such, and games will look better and more realistic.

But anyway, a 6xxx card from NVidia might run STO on lowest settings, but to really enjoy the game would need to step up to the higher end cards in 9xxx or 200 series.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    KabaalGen wrote:
    What are you smoking? Intel offer the best performance per £ on the market right now.
    By you're reasoning your piddly little 6150 would beat an HD4850 etc. Amusing.

You're 6150 isn't even a card btw, it's an integrated POS.

and you think that Intel HD cards are dedicated? I hate to break it to you, but Intel's GPUs are all integrated cards too, and no, they really wouldn't outperform a Geforce 6150, not by any margin of note. They're literally just slightly newer integrated GPUs.

Now, I won't claim that a Geforce 6150 would be playing STO, at least not playably, even on the lowest settings and with a low resolution, but an Intel HD 4500 isn't going to do any better. You're talking about cards that can't even display the original content of WoW at anything but the absolute lowest settings, and maybe at 1024x768 (mine didn't run it well at the native panel resolution of my notebook, which was 1280x800).

I would advise anyone who thinks that an Intel HD graphics chip is going to run STO to visit Notebookcheck.net, and check out their tests on that card, here. Nothing that scores under 1,000 in 3dmark 06 is going to be playing STO.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm not sure if my Macbook GMA x3100 will cut it even at low 800x600.