test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Updater Memory Leak

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
The game is updating atm (I have the D2D version), but the memory is getting very high....

It's going up as it progresses.

The download is at 4078.6MB out of 10gb (40.0%), and memory usage right now is at 642mb.

I mean I have plenty of ram, but this might become a problem...

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    The game is updating atm (I have the D2D version), but the memory is getting very high....

It's going up as it progresses.

The download is at 4078.6MB out of 10gb (40.0%), and memory usage right now is at 642mb.

I mean I have plenty of ram, but this might become a problem...

Thanks
    What program are you using to do the download?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey CodeRanger, I've had this problem for a while now too. Using the "old" client.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    What program are you using to do the download?

Using the Star Trek Online updater, v CL_2010_01_06_22_23
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can toss a screenie if needed, but dont wanna post it on these forums, gonna kill my website lol
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    Using the Star Trek Online updater, v CL_2010_01_06_22_23
    You should have 0 patch if you downloaded the installer from D2D. Can you please send me a link to whatever it is you got from D2D?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    You should have 0 patch if you downloaded the installer from D2D. Can you please send me a link to whatever it is you got from D2D?

Btw you can go 'technical' if you want, im no average computer user ;)

The name of the zip file is Star_Trek_OB_ST_0_20100108a_dd.zip.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    Btw you can go 'technical' if you want, im no average computer user ;)

The name of the zip file is Star_Trek_OB_ST_0_20100108a_dd.zip.
    Hmm, and inside that was a setup.exe, a directx/ folder, and a bunch of .hogg files, right?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    Hmm, and inside that was a setup.exe, a directx/ folder, and a bunch of .hogg files, right?

That is correct. The setup.exe is also digitaly signed by Cryptic Studios, on the 8th of January 2010, 14:36:30.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, thats interesting, I don't seem to have a problem, but I'm using the latest one from D2D.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    That is correct. The setup.exe is also digitaly signed by Cryptic Studios, on the 8th of January 2010, 14:36:30.
    That should have moved all the hoggs into position so you would have a 0-byte patch. If it didn't work, you can try copying all the .hogg files into your install folder (close the launcher while you do it).
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    That should have moved all the hoggs into position so you would have a 0-byte patch. If it didn't work, you can try copying all the .hogg files into your install folder (close the launcher while you do it).

Code, it did move all the files.... That's what I'm trying to say :)

It moved all files to the right places but it's still redownloading everything....

I also checked on IRC, alot of people are downloading the 10gb I'm downloading, all of em seem to be from D2D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thought I'd point out too, 52.3% done now, 5335.6mb patched, 2793MB received, 816mb RAM used.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    Code, it did move all the files.... That's what I'm trying to say :)

It moved all files to the right places but it's still redownloading everything....

I also checked on IRC, alot of people are downloading the 10gb I'm downloading, all of em seem to be from D2D
    Did you run the installer or just copy files around? You do actually have to install the game or bad things can happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    Did you run the installer or just copy files around? You do actually have to install the game or bad things can happen.

lol code, this is EXACTLY what I did:

1- Extract the zip file in it's own folder, containing the setup.exe, the directx folder, and another folder with all the .hoggs, totaling around 8.5gb.

2- Run the setup.exe, go through all Steps, Installer copied the Star Trek Online.exe, plus all the other folders and .hogg files. Final install size around 10gb.

3- Login through the launcher, typed in username and password. Patch for 10gb began.

Trust me, it's installed correctly :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I had no issues using the D2D version about an hour again.. One question should the hogg files have little locks on them? I am running Windows 7 64bit.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Paynegiver wrote: »
    I had no issues using the D2D version about an hour again.. One question should the hogg files have little locks on them? I am running Windows 7 64bit.

Mine do, and the game launches perfectly fine.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    lol code, this is EXACTLY what I did:

1- Extract the zip file in it's own folder, containing the setup.exe, the directx folder, and another folder with all the .hoggs, totaling around 8.5gb.

2- Run the setup.exe, go through all Steps, Installer copied the Star Trek Online.exe, plus all the other folders and .hogg files. Final install size around 10gb.

3- Login through the launcher, typed in username and password. Patch for 10gb began.

Trust me, it's installed correctly :)
    Two things to check: 1) Press X while the launcher is open, it should show the transfer debug dialog. The patch root should be shown in the top-right. Make sure this matches where you installed STO. 2) What OS are you running and where did you install to?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just found something, I am updating in about 15mins....

Hope im right, cuz I had to cancel the patching process...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sumoben wrote: »
    Mine do, and the game launches perfectly fine.

my game also launches, I just never saw that little lock before so I figured I would ask just in case... The D2D file was a quick download and a VERY VERY fast install... The install seemed too fast even, it scared me lol....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Paynegiver wrote: »
    my game also launches, I just never saw that little lock before so I figured I would ask just in case... The D2D file was a quick download and a VERY VERY fast install... The install seemed too fast even, it scared me lol....

I'm just going to attribute that to great work by Cryptic. :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Aiite that worked lol

Seems the setup.exe MOVES the hoggs, so when I reinstalled yesterday, it installed nothing.

Meh, works now and it ain't patching. Figures.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, it does a move instead of a copy to keep things fast and to avoid needing a lot of extra disk space.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    Yeah, it does a move instead of a copy to keep things fast and to avoid needing a lot of extra disk space.

Agreed but that's bad if you're like me and like to keep your installs nearby so you dont have to redownload a 10gb game all that often :)

Hope the final version wont be like that :)

Anyway thanks for the help
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    coderanger wrote:

Slight problem with that though, it seems to want to install to both the STO folder and an application data folder. When it tries to install it to the application data folder, the hoggs are missing already, so it skips that step and creates the 10GB patch issue.