What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Join the Official Cryptic IRC Channels!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I doubt Cryptic will monitor outside service behavior (unless its an NDA issue).
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hagon wrote: »
    I mean protection of our nicks mate, sorry if I didn't make that clear. If not it'll be pretty easy for someone to come in the channel and impersonate anyone, and possibly cause a lot of drama and possibly other issues.

It's actually why I quit coming in the channel and let some know that if they saw my nick it was definitely not me, just so I had that backed up.

I follow Hagon's concerns here as well.

Reason I stopped mIRC because I was impersonated in a sim a few years back and couldn't defend myself.

I'll be by the regular given chats though when I can.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Woul you like to skip the extra step of having to join the #STO channel after you visit http://www.gamesurge.net/chat head on over to http://stoirc.com/irc

Put in your desired name and hit connect and you are right there in #STO on GameSurge the Official IRC Channel STO fans.

(STOIRC.com is no longer a separate site or chat channel, it is linked directly into #STO on gamesurge and nothing about the chat you have come to enjoy from the people who have brought it to you plans to change in any way. We only aim to provide you with the easiest way to join us as is possible.)

Note: We will be working hard with the operators and volunteers in #STO There will be soon more detailed information about the volunteers running that channel, as well as a list of simple guide lines that should be respected in the public channel so that everyone feels most comfortable and welcome.

See you all at Tomorrows Chat

--mrgoo
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Would be at all possible to get an answer to the concerns some of us have raised concerning this network not having nickserv? Please.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    meh yeah not having nickserv is a pain but if you set perform on connect for the server you should be "authed" each time you connect so its no biggy. btw

JOIN US!!!!!!!! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Auth-ing equals problem solved!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Whenever I log onto this thing, it's filled with strange people and Germans.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    foo wrote: »
    Whenever I log onto this thing, it's filled with strange people and Germans.

Don't give me no jibber-jabber Foo!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So nice to see so many new faces in the chat room...woot!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Terrani wrote: »
    Auth-ing equals problem solved!
    Authserv does nothing at all to protect one's nick. All it does is authenticate one's account on the network.

Anyone can still use a host mask (which everyone should when using IRC anyway) and your nick anytime they like, and no one will know who they are.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Authserv does nothing at all to protect one's nick. All it does is authenticate one's account on the network.

Anyone can still use a host mask (which everyone should when using IRC anyway) and your nick anytime they like, and no one will know who they are.

It's not perfect, and I would rather have a nickserv also, but you can do a /authserv userinfo (username) to see what account is currently using the nick. If it is the same account you know the nick belongs to, your golden. :D (unless someone hacks your auth account)

Though I agree, nickserv in addition to authserv would be great.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    As I understand it, if someone is using a hostmask (which is always the sensible thing to do when using IRC), doing that will only show the masking info. I might be wrong there. I'd like some confirmation if I am though.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    As I understand it, if someone is using a hostmask (which is always the sensible thing to do when using IRC), doing that will only show the masking info. I might be wrong there. I'd like some confirmation if I am though.

It would not surprise me if there is a way to have the channel bots protect your nick based on hostmask.
    I can see the bot then removing (kick) ppl for using a *reserved* name in the room.

Its a genuine concern I will look into it. No promises but its noted.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    oleum wrote: »

It would not surprise me if there is a way to have the channel bots protect your nick based on hostmask.
    I can see the bot then removing (kick) ppl for using a *reserved* name in the room.

Its a genuine concern I will look into it. No promises but its noted.
    Thanks

Or you could just take 5 minutes and move the channel to a network that has nickserv?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks

Or you could just take 5 minutes and move the channel to a network that has nickserv?

We already have a very well established community, trying to move it may cause problems.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks

Exactly what I won't be doing, though I am willing to seek a solution. Its actually not much more than 5 mins to set up a channel. However finding a web based client so it can be accesed easily, having secure channel protocols and respected operators, gaining favours for Cryptic regarding simultaneous connections from one mask and having a secure logging facility and statistics. Well they take time.

Having sorted out issues when they arise by doing it AS A COMMUNITY is a real bonus for everyone. Think of the issues that Cryptic would have with having to employ ppl to set stuff up and monitor it, its almost a full time job for someone.

I don't say that everyone will be happy with having it this way. But look at the fact that traffic has more than doubled in the last week and on Thursday there were 103 people in the room with no real issues. It shouts loud that there is a great community of Trek gamers out there. I feel honoured to be a part of it and to have such great support from real dyed in the wool Trekkies, like Kinneas for example. Even though I tell him I am NOT a trekkie almost every day.

Sorry to go on. I am still looking into it. Also some other things. I'll keep you posted
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Things seem to be going just fine now that we worked out how to make sure the Cryptic peeps are really them...
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yea we haven't really had a problem with it. i've been using gamesurge/net for what 13 years and it's been just fine without nickserv...
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    miss post . . .
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Looks like the nickserv thing with a bot isn't trivial to do, and as you are the only person really concerned with it <looks at Hagon> and you don't use the channel anyway I think that thats the end of that idea.

What I have been working on is a cleaner looking mibbit client which fits better with the look of STO site. It's not *quite*ready yet, but when it is you'll be sure to know.

One thing will be that shortcuts to auth will be implemented so /a user pass is all you need to type instead of the whole bunch you used to have to do. Watch this space.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    oleum wrote: »
    Looks like the nickserv thing with a bot isn't trivial to do, and as you are the only person really concerned with it <looks at Hagon> and you don't use the channel anyway I think that thats the end of that idea.

What I have been working on is a cleaner looking mibbit client which fits better with the look of STO site. It's not *quite*ready yet, but when it is you'll be sure to know.

One thing will be that shortcuts to auth will be implemented so /a user pass is all you need to type instead of the whole bunch you used to have to do. Watch this space.
    I'd like to be in the channel, but your refusal to accommodate those with concerns about there being no nickserv is keeping me from participating. Look, you want to believe that I'm the only one concerned about it, then fine, that doesn't change that there is a concern as we've already seen, and others have voiced that concern here and in the channel. So really there's no way to know how many aren't in the channel because of this. Gamesurge has a rep as a network to be avoided, and it has that rep for good reason.

There are a number of networks that will bend over backward to accommodate a mmo developer and the people wanting to set up a IRC channel for the game. Stratics for instance http://chat.stratics.com/ , has nickserv http://chat.stratics.com/nickserv.html , and is completely geared toward catering to mmo developers and those that want to start/run an IRC channel for a mmo. In fact they go out of their way to help, and go out of their way to help promote the games that are affiliated with the network http://vboards.stratics.com/. There are others as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    He does not have that kind of access on the network Hagon, he is a channel Operator not Administrator on the network.

Really it's not that big of an issue, but if you feel that strongly about it you are right you can go over to another network. Statics is a good network of course, but if you make a channel there it will be as an operator. of a channel, you will have the same level of protection and control as oleum can provide except the addition on the nickserv.

That said I have run a stable network irc.stoirc.com for 9 months and if you speak to my users just like the guys from startrek-games.com they will tell you it is very stable for their needs. Given that we are still somewhat small you are likely to aquire the name you want on nickserv as well.

For what it is worth the channel on GameSurge runs just fine for the purpose it serves and no amount of complaint here wil alter how the network operates. Simple matter of fact is Niether Oleum nor Cryptic has any real control outside that channel and that includes nickname enforcement.

I hope this was informative.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mike J wrote:
    He does not have that kind of access on the network Hagon, he is a channel Operator not Administrator on the network.

Really it's not that big of an issue, but if you feel that strongly about it you are right you can go over to another network. Statics is a good network of course, but if you make a channel there it will be as an operator. of a channel, you will have the same level of protection and control as oleum can provide except the addition on the nickserv.

That said I have run a stable network irc.stoirc.com for 9 months and if you speak to my users just like the guys from startrek-games.com they will tell you it is very stable for their needs. Given that we are still somewhat small you are likely to aquire the name you want on nickserv as well.

For what it is worth the channel on GameSurge runs just fine for the purpose it serves and no amount of complaint here wil alter how the network operates. Simple matter of fact is Niether Oleum nor Cryptic has any real control outside that channel and that includes nickname enforcement.

I hope this was informative.
    It's not relevant, but thanks. It has nothing to do with him being an Admin. I could have told him that trying to get some form of nickserv on Gamesurge wasn't worth the wasted time.

All that need to be done is to take 5 minutes and move the channel to a network with nickserv. If I start a channel on Stratics, or wherever ,I don't have the "official" tag, so really what's the point? I don't get to see the chats with devs, I don't get to participate in the trivia contest, etc etc. All because someone is hung up on Gamesurge for some inexplainable reason. Is someone getting a kickback or something? Because really that's the only thing I can think of for being so bullheaded about not moving off Gamesurge. All people have to do is copy&paste the new info into their IRC client, follow the very simple instructions for setting up their new authserv and nickserv accounts, and they're good to go. Good to go in less than five minutes with the security regarding their nicks that's been clearly shown to be needed, and on a network that's used to dealing with mmos in development and will work very hard to accommodate people's needs.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    How the hell you think I feel? I wrote letters, PMs, even a good size forum thread about stoirc.com. I didn't get a single reply. I've spent hundreds of dollars and was the first to publish the concept of IRC supported fan chats I even spent an extra 900 dollars and showed up in Vegas for the announcement. We had about 40 people on our network that day as we live broadcast the feed.

Still the rules stated not to advertise on the forums so I waited.. and waited and waited for a reply from the devs. Nothing came and i continued to respect the rules.

Then 6 days ago the announcemrnt of Official channel. Came out,

How it happen.

1) they got on the air-waves with Hailing Frequencies (great show BTW I love it) I should have done that months ago.
    2) He started a fun and exciting Weekly Trivia, which kept people coming back
    3) Reviewing Success of 1 and 2 it is a no brainer for Cryptic, its free exposure for them so why not announce it.

They did all the right things and they reap the reward for a job well played.

I was planning to merge stoirc.com to the channel in a show of support, but the link up has been suspended by oleum. I guess it was okay for him to use his personal fleet URLs in the channel but it was not okay for me to offer the patrons a customised webchat experience. centric to STO development.

So I don't know why you are upset over Nickserv you didnt lose out on Hundreds of Dollars,

Frankly I should have been more forward about my network from the start, taken real command of getting it out there and starting things like SIMS trivia and the like.

But hey I was just following rules,
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mike J wrote:
    How the hell you think I feel? I wrote letters, PMs, even a good size forum thread about stoirc.com. I didn't get a single reply. I've spent hundreds of dollars and was the first to publish the concept of IRC supported fan chats I even spent an extra 900 dollars and showed up in Vegas for the announcement. We had about 40 people on our network that day as we live broadcast the feed.

Still the rules stated not to advertise on the forums so I waited.. and waited and waited for a reply from the devs. Nothing came and i continued to respect the rules.

Then 6 days ago the announcemrnt of Official channel. Came out,

How it happen.

1) they got on the air-waves with Hailing Frequencies (great show BTW I love it) I should have done that months ago.
    2) He started a fun and exciting Weekly Trivia, which kept people coming back
    3) Reviewing Success of 1 and 2 it is a no brainer for Cryptic, its free exposure for them so why not announce it.

They did all the right things and they reap the reward for a job well played.

I was planning to merge stoirc.com to the channel in a show of support, but the link up has been suspended by oleum. I guess it was okay for him to use his personal fleet URLs in the channel but it was not okay for me to offer the patrons a customised webchat experience. centric to STO development.

So I don't know why you are upset over Nickserv you didnt lose out on Hundreds of Dollars,

Frankly I should have been more forward about my network from the start, taken real command of getting it out there and starting things like SIMS trivia and the like.

But hey I was just following rules,
    The thing is though, nothing about who runs the channel or anything like that has to change. They can keep the ego thing intact. Nothing about how anyone uses IRC except for people having the extra nickserv feature has to change either. All that needs to happen is for them to create a channel on a new network that has nickserv, change the info at the start of this thread, and it's done. It's not like they have thousands of people that have visited the channel and might miss the change like some games have, and they can keep the Gamesurge channel open with a link to the new channel for as long as they like. They can mess about with useless bots and such later at their convenience.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Bottom line is, the Gamesurge thing works just fine, why try to fix what's not broken? I honestly don't think moving to a network with Nickserv will bring in many more people than are already in the channel. At least not enough to make it worth the "5 minute" hassle:rolleyes: I didn't know the network had a bad rep either, I've been using it since it's conception. I guess if you hang out in the wrong places with the wrong people there may be problems, ah well whatever, I'm just happy to see the channel doing just fine. There's more drama in this post than there ever has been in that channel.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DMiZ wrote: »
    Bottom line is, the Gamesurge thing works just fine, why try to fix what's not broken? I honestly don't think moving to a network with Nickserv will bring in many more people than are already in the channel. At least not enough to make it worth the "5 minute" hassle:rolleyes: I didn't know the network had a bad rep either, I've been using it since it's conception. I guess if you hang out in the wrong places with the wrong people there may be problems, ah well whatever, I'm just happy to see the channel doing just fine. There's more drama in this post than there ever has been in that channel.
    Ok smarty pants, you explain to folks why you think it would take longer than 5 minutes to create a new channel on another network. In fact I bet it can be done in less than two minutes. You better believe there's a bunch not getting on because it's Gamesurge, and if you really have been using it since it's conception, then you know full well why. Then again, maybe you're one of the problem children that use it to hack and cause other mischief and that's why there's no move.

Folks, if you aren't able to use nickserv, anyone, at anytime, can go into that channel using your nick and do and say anything they wish and all the have to do is use a hostmask to hide their IP (which everyone should do anyway) and there's pretty much no way to prove it wasn't you. Not to mention that anyone can do or say anything anyway, and then just try and say it was someone impersonating them.

Being on Gamesurge is a noob move. No other way to say it. Absolutely noob move.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok smarty pants, you explain to folks why you think it would take longer than 5 minutes to create a new channel on another network. In fact I bet it can be done in less than two minutes. You better believe there's a bunch not getting on because it's Gamesurge, and if you really have been using it since it's conception, then you know full well why. Then again, maybe you're one of the problem children that use it to hack and cause other mischief and that's why there's no move.

Folks, if you aren't able to use nickserv, anyone, at anytime, can go into that channel using your nick and do and say anything they wish and all the have to do is use a hostmask to hide their IP (which everyone should do anyway) and there's pretty much no way to prove it wasn't you. Not to mention that anyone can do or say anything anyway, and then just try and say it was someone impersonating them.

Being on Gamesurge is a noob move. No other way to say it. Absolutely noob move.

Well the simple solution here is don't use it if you are that paranoid. And if others feel the same way, they don't need to join in either. It's just a place to chat to other STOners about, anything and everything really. STO related or not (quite often it is not). The only thing that has changed since our "Official" status is the Wednesday trivia. The Devs and community reps don't talk to us any more than they already do here on the forums. And to underline that, the active moderators of the chat are selected members of the community and not Cryptic employees. We govern ourselves. We are not under the iron boot of Cryptic. Most of the time they just keep the log of what we talk about.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Terrani wrote: »
    Well the simple solution here is don't use it if you are that paranoid. And if others feel the same way, they don't need to join in either. It's just a place to chat to other STOners about, anything and everything really. STO related or not (quite often it is not). The only thing that has changed since our "Official" status is the Wednesday trivia. The Devs and community reps don't talk to us any more than they already do here on the forums. And to underline that, the active moderators of the chat are selected members of the community and not Cryptic employees. We govern ourselves. We are not under the iron boot of Cryptic. Most of the time they just keep the log of what we talk about.
    But it's a very simple thing for them to move the channel to another network with nickserv and the entire issue is over. That's it. That's all. Nothing about who runs the channel, or who OPs it, or whatever, need change.

Yet all we get is a terse answer of "No I won't". No reason given. Seems pretty immature to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    But it's a very simple thing for them to move the channel to another network with nickserv and the entire issue is over. That's it. That's all. Nothing about who runs the channel, or who OPs it, or whatever, need change.

Yet all we get is a terse answer of "No I won't". No reason given. Seems pretty immature to me.

The reason we won't move is because we have an established community at #STO on Gamesurge. The people don't want to move. They like where we are. Why make something new when what we have already works just fine?