test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Join the Official Cryptic IRC Channels!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Wish you could hang out with Cryptic fans all day? Can't get enough of the community? Want to spend time with your favorite developers? Join us on the GameSurge IRC network all day, every day! Talk about the upcoming launch of Champions Online in the #championsonline channel, or discuss what your favorite Star Trek faction is in the #STO channel! Don't know how to join IRC? Keep reading!

The easiest way to connect to IRC is through GameSurge's client at:
-http://gamesurge.net/chat/

Once connected, you can choose your nickname by typing, "/nick <nickname>". From there, you can join any of our channels by typing, "/join <channel>". Our current list of channels are:
-#STO
-#championsonline

Don't forget the # symbol!

See you there!

Link to the news article.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Love the access the devs grant this community.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So are our nicks now protected on gamesurge? As in no one can come in the channel when we're not there impersonating us and possibly causing a whole bunch of drama because of it, or getting us in trouble with Crytic in some way?

I just want to be very careful is all, I hope that's understood.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nice one Daeke 51 in there a moment ago, as good as a Trivia day. Exciting times.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hagon wrote: »
    So are our nicks now protected on gamesurge? As in no one can come in the channel when we're not there impersonating us and possibly causing a whole bunch of drama because of it, or getting us in trouble with Crytic in some way?

All Cryptic employees are protected Hagon. We have an arrangement with the IRCOPS on gamesurge that they have a specific identifiable hostmask and are added manually to the Channel bot so that they can NEVER be impersonated. The one guy who did this before was banned from the room permanently.

This is why Daeke and others here feel safe to announce that its good to hang out there and talk. Communities build MMOs as I'm sure you know.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes, all of Cryptic has been set up with custom hostmasks, which means when you type "/whois Cryptic_Daeke" you should see that I'm connected as Daeke.crypticstudios.gamesurge. If that's not what it says, then it's not me.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's real cool, I'll probably drop in from time to time. I might be quiet, though. =P
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    oleum wrote: »

All Cryptic employees are protected Hagon. We have an arrangement with the IRCOPS on gamesurge that they have a specific identifiable hostmask and are added manually to the Channel bot so that they can NEVER be impersonated. The one guy who did this before was banned from the room permanently.

This is why Daeke and others here feel safe to announce that its good to hang out there and talk. Communities build MMOs as I'm sure you know.
    I mean protection of our nicks mate, sorry if I didn't make that clear. If not it'll be pretty easy for someone to come in the channel and impersonate anyone, and possibly cause a lot of drama and possibly other issues.

It's actually why I quit coming in the channel and let some know that if they saw my nick it was definitely not me, just so I had that backed up.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We have 62 in here right now. I've never seen so many. It's going to be absolute chaos during the Trivia contest!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Daeke wrote:
    Yes, all of Cryptic has been set up with custom hostmasks, which means when you type "/whois Cryptic_Daeke" you should see that I'm connected as Daeke.crypticstudios.gamesurge. If that's not what it says, then it's not me.

Is it possible to get Cryptic Names and chat in a different color, so it stands out more?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I mean protection of our nicks mate, sorry if I didn't make that clear. If not it'll be pretty easy for someone to come in the channel and impersonate anyone, and possibly cause a lot of drama and possibly other issues.

It's actually why I quit coming in the channel and let some know that if they saw my nick it was definitely not me, just so I had that backed up.

good catch i hope they find some way but it wont be esay, technoligy is such a dule edge blade
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So much for My Efforts I guess ... 9 Months I have run stoirc.com spent money to maintain it per month, invited members of the community to join is (some have) I wrote 3 letters to Cryptic and several PMs and never got once single solitary response what so ever.

I even live 12 miles North of Cryptic HQ in Mountain View, CA offered to come in on a sit down personally and never got a response to that either.

GLAD THE COMMUNITY NOW HAS A CHAT

But I've been totally slapped in the face, the knees an the gut ... thanks.

Btw the STOIRC.com staff will be going to the early showing of Star Trek at the IMAX in our area at 7PM on Thursday. If you want details about the exact location and want to meet up send me a PM and I will get them to you.

This news pretty much kills stoirc.com .net and .org so it will probably be our last public meet up.

Thanks for those that met us in Vegas a few months back it was a blast.

A Big BIG Special thanks to StarTrek-Games.com for their continued support of STOIRC.com

as Well as SubspaceLink.com
    Holodeck3.com
    and Starbase49.com

We would have setup the Cryptic Dev Staff with all these things and the network would have been suited and catered to the success and advertisement of the game. The channels on the server would have been exclusively tailored to the Trek Gamer and fan base.

This news ultimately is a massive disappointment to my efforts.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I know Mike has put in quite a bit of effort in running a dedicated STO IRC server, so I am quite disappointed to learn that all his efforts weren't acknowledged in any way.
    Mike J wrote:
    A Big BIG Special thanks to StarTrek-Games.com for their continued support of STOIRC.com
    No, thank you for running the server. You did an amazing job, the server was always up and stable.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I know Mike has put in quite a bit of effort in running a dedicated STO IRC server, so I am quite disappointed to learn that all his efforts weren't acknowledged in any way.

No, thank you for running the server. You did an amazing job, the server was always up and stable.

I will keep it online as long as I know people want to use it.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't normally use IRC, but if the community proves to be popular then I am definitely going to have to learn how to use it so that I can talk to some fellow members of the community -- and perhaps some of the development team as well. Either way, I am just overjoyed that Star Trek Online fans now have an official place to chat, because even though I prefer forum-based communication it is nice to have an alternative from time to time.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mike J wrote:
    So much for My Efforts I guess ... 9 Months I have run stoirc.com spent money to maintain it per month, invited members of the community to join is (some have) I wrote 3 letters to Cryptic and several PMs and never got once single solitary response what so ever.

This is the first I've heard of your STOIRC.com. I don't believe you advertised enough for it. I know the gamesurge IRC was posted in the discussion forum and later stickied. Not to mention being used for the new trivia contests. My advice for next time, speak up to the community a little louder, not just the devs.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Terrani wrote: »
    This is the first I've heard of your STOIRC.com. I don't believe you advertised enough for it. I know the gamesurge IRC was posted in the discussion forum and later stickied. Not to mention being used for the new trivia contests. My advice for next time, speak up to the community a little louder, not just the devs.

But we did long time ago

see here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=5477&highlight=stoirc

I tried to get it stuck and I tried to invite people to it.

We even had 50 people in the channel the day that the game was revealed in Las Vegas,

Without a response from the Devs or Community Staff though people began to fall away quickly. I tried several formal channels. also the rules clearly state in no uncertain terms NOT ti advertise third party sites on these forums. We did not put a big neon sign out and about out of respect for the rules. I was still waiting on a more formal response.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Terrani wrote: »

As unfortunate as it is for STOIRC.com, I'd have to agree, this is the first I heard about STOIRC as well :/.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Suiko wrote: »
    As unfortunate as it is for STOIRC.com, I'd have to agree, this is the first I heard about STOIRC as well :/.

All we can do at this point is to re-task our offerings and remind all Fleets out there that STOIRC os still a Premium source to get an Embeddged chat room and IRC hosted chat tailored for your fleet or fan site.

If we are not to be a premier service for the game so be it. However community sites should know they are still welcome on our Network.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just face it Mike it Stoirc wasn't there idea so they were not interested.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    EDIT: You know what... nevermind.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Things are just the way they are, that's life.

Life has many joys, many successes and many disapointments. This round is a loss, time to pick up the pieces and move on.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    loving the new found official status the place is buzzing compared to this time last week =D
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This may have been mentioned already, but is it possible to put a link to the chat on the main site? Other than in the post I mean, which will get shoved down in a few weeks.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    the channel seems to be doing quite well for it self already
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I can't seem to get into the channel at the moment. Is it full or something?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Gamesurge doesn't have nick protection, unfortunately, but rarely have I ever seen something like that happen. If it does, you can tell if it's the real person from the hostmask they display. Then again, if you're not familiar with that sort of thing then you'd never know the difference. However there are plenty of people that are familiar so I don't think it's a worry.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There's a setting problem at the moment that's keeping non-registered Gamesurge users from joining, I'm trying to get it cleared up now.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This is a big high five to the development team! Your commitment to the fans and your willingness to be as interactive as possible is, at the very least, refreshing. I've been looking forward to a game like this ever since I first started playing PC games and I have every confidence you guys are gonna succeed. Keep up the great work Cryptic! You're flying!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DMiZ wrote: »
    Gamesurge doesn't have nick protection, unfortunately, but rarely have I ever seen something like that happen. If it does, you can tell if it's the real person from the hostmask they display. Then again, if you're not familiar with that sort of thing then you'd never know the difference. However there are plenty of people that are familiar so I don't think it's a worry.
    Well that we saw a problem within a very short time kind of shows that there is a problem. I've been using IRC for a lot of years, and there's a reason nickserv is used by so many networks. It's because people impersonating others is a very common thing.

Is there a reason that the channel can't be moved to a network that does have nickserv? It's a very easy thing to do. Why isn't it being done? It's something that's making people in the community uncomfortable when considering whether they want to join in the channel. Wouldn't it be prudent to take the very simple steps needed to alleviate that concern?

Just some questions that need answering in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I'm gonna say no Hagon...cuz I just tested it and it doesnt seem to